Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
yeah gently caress this stupid game and community bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

rabidsquid posted:

Why does wotc need to issue a statement covering all possible felonies and the way they relate to your ability to continue playing organized MTG?

Also if you think this is a targeted ban I don't know what to tell you. They made the ruling because the situation came up, not out of any direct hatred of Zach Jesse John Bill

Because it's absolutely a targeted ban in lieu of an explanation? Like, I have no lost love for the guy, but I still don't think that silent policy bans are good for the game, especially when they also involve shutting the guy's MTGO account down. For lack of a better term, there's more than a couple of Underground Keyboard Dojo Cagefighter types that are absolutely going to start digging up dirt on competitors in hopes they find something, and that's scary to me. Say "no Sex Offenders allowed" - that's fine. Don't pretend it's for no reason and hope it goes away, because it won't and we all know the Magic community at large won't respond appropriately.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I do think WOTC is being unfair to a sex offender. I think they're being unfair in a very common way that is generally accepted by society at large but I still think they're being unfair. I am not willing to compromise my stance on treatment of offenders just because it occasionally leads me to uncomfortable positions.

lmao i'm glad you're brave enough to stand up for the sacred rights of rapists to play wizard poker and will not be moved, no matter how much it might affect others

so brave :allears:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Tonetta posted:

find a friendgroup to play with if you still like the game it's not worth letting the community have that too

but yeah this was a healthy decision for me to make also

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gonna keep quoting this informative post because at this point Spoiler chat is less loving terrible than this loving rape chat.

Bugsy posted:

New cards from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cPOPD48v4

Consul's Lieutenant W W (u)

Creature - Human Soldier
First strike
Renown 1 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes renowned.)
Whenever Consul's Lieutenant attacks, if it's renowned, other attacking creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/1

Suppression Bonds 3 W (c)

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant nonland permanent.
Enchanted permanent can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.

Ampryn Tactician 2 W W (c)

Creature - Human Soldier
When Ampryn Tactician enters the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3

Kytheon's Tactics 1 W W (c)

Sorcery
Creatures you control get +2/+1 until end of turn.
Spell Mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, those creatures also gain vigilance until end of turn. (Attacking doesn't cause them to tap.)

Anchor to the Æther 2 U (u)

Sorcery
Put target creature on top of its owner's library. Scry 1.

Calculated Dismissal 2 U (c)

Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, scry 2.

Akroan Sergeant 2 R (u)

Creature - Human Soldier
First strike
Renown 1 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes renowned.)
2/2

Call of the Full Moon 1 R (u)

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+2 and has trample.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, sacrifice Call of the Full Moon.

Guardian Automaton 4 (c)

Artifact Creature - Construct
When Guardian Automaton dies, you gain 3 life.
3/3

Sigil of Valor 2 (u)

Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each other creature you control.
Equip 1

Reprints:

Knightly Valor

Bone to ash

Screeching skaab

Totem guide Haartebeast

Sigiled Starfish :swoon:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tonetta posted:

I can't blame you for not wanting to put up with this stuff and I really wish this thread would be a good place for people like you to post and this sucks and I am sorry and this is mostly why I troll this thread relentlessly 99% of the time and shame on the people that cause this to happen.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Gonna keep quoting this informative post because at this point Spoiler chat is less loving terrible than this loving rape chat.

This isn't a pleasant discussion but it's important because the mtg community needs to become way more aware of all of the terrible parts of itself that make it very unwelcoming for large swaths of people.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry but I'm gonna use another publicly known list to show that tonetta is not a known good poster

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Seriously can we get a thread ban on rapists and rape apologists.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The cycle doesn't change, it's not like those who insist on dieing on this particular hill in this thread have disappeared since the last time these issues came up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The WW soldier looks very strong.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

I can't blame you for not wanting to put up with this stuff and I really wish this thread would be a good place for people like you to post and this sucks and I am sorry and this is mostly why I troll this thread relentlessly 99% of the time and shame on the people that cause this to happen.

It truly is a shame that your constant shitposting has failed to forge this thread into a place where women feel safe discussing magic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Seriously can we get a thread ban on rapists and rape apologists.

Its baffling to me why so many people care so deeply whether there is a specific "no-rapists" policy

why does that matter

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Deofuta posted:

The cycle doesn't change, it's not like those who insist on dieing on this particular hill in this thread have disappeared since the last time these issues came up.

Raging against the dying of the light, et cetera

Wezlar posted:

It truly is a shame that your constant shitposting has failed to forge this thread into a place where women feel safe discussing magic.

Also weird how shitheads don't understand that I don't troll people who aren't shitheads, but WELP

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

yeah first strike with renown on a two drop is a beating.

this set is going to be really fun, i think

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

WW and soldier keeps getting decent stuff for sure.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Its baffling to me why so many people care so deeply whether there is a specific "no-rapists" policy

why does that matter

are we all talking past each other because the actual lack of a policy is kind of what's bothering a good deal of the people posting here.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

rabidsquid posted:

Also weird how shitheads don't understand that I don't troll people who aren't shitheads, but WELP

I love your jokeposting but if you ever change your avatar I'm going to be really confused.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I kind of like Suppression Bonds as an Arrest that can hit more than creatures.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

are we all talking past each other because the actual lack of a policy is kind of what's bothering a good deal of the people posting here.

I wish I could give the benefit of the doubt but it really feels like people wish there was a specific wording to "WEll, actually"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Does it bother anyone else that there are only 2 cards I think that aren't renown 1? That 4/4 green common and 6/6 rare. I feel like there's alot of wasted design space there and they unless we get some more interesting renown cards, they could have just left the number off the end like with unleash.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

rabidsquid posted:

This isn't a pleasant discussion but it's important because the mtg community needs to become way more aware of all of the terrible parts of itself that make it very unwelcoming for large swaths of people.

Can you at least agree to the fact that the lack of a policy statement sets a very bad precedent for what might be the worst part of Magic's community? I don't want to read about all the things that high level players may or may not have done every time someone feels slighted by one, butif it gets results? It sure won't stop. No one gave a poo poo about Zach Jesse until Drew Levin got upset with him.

e: Levin set his Twitter account to protected :lol: I understand why he did, but MTG Twitter Creatures are super nasty and twice as fickle.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 2, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Does it bother anyone else that there are only 2 cards I think that aren't renown 1? That 4/4 green common and 6/6 rare. I feel like there's alot of wasted design space there and they unless we get some more interesting renown cards, they could have just left the number off the end like with unleash.

I think there is far less design space in Renown than you are imagining.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'd like to see more cards that interact with renowned creatues, there's only been one so far i think?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ZeButler posted:

I kind of like Suppression Bonds as an Arrest that can hit more than creatures.
It's mostly worse than Faith's Fetters, although it can shut down mana creatures/rocks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Hmmm yes, Wizard Poker is the appropriate context to make a stand about the difficulties of felons and problems with our judicial system.

And if we are going to drag the judicial system into this, we should probably start with how low the actual reporting/trial/conviction rates on rape/sexual assault are (up to and including cops/attorneys going on the "well are you sure you didn't just lead him on" angle, etc).

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cPOPD48v4

Are any of these app preview sites supposed to be spoiling all this stuff do you think?

I wonder how WotC feels about this stuff during their spoiler season.

Tonetta posted:

Thanks for contributing :allears:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

WW and soldier keeps getting decent stuff for sure.

I think it needs something like honor of the pure, and for there to not be anything as efficient as drown/anger in bfz, but yeah the creatures are definitely there

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'd like to see more cards that interact with renowned creatues, there's only been one so far i think?

Well I feel like cards that give evasion are really the best interaction and we really haven't gotten that many this set.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mandatory lesbian posted:

Two I think. The green dude that draws and a white instant?

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'm sure there will be more once we get the full set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I think it needs something like honor of the pure, and for there to not be anything as efficient as drown/anger in bfz, but yeah the creatures are definitely there

Honestly limited feels really loving strong in white right now. Definitely going to be the sold out color combo that is going to be sold out come prerelease.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Reposting after it got lost in rape-chat, but does anyone else think this kind of card is kind of bad for the game?

Calculated Dismissal 2 U (c)
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, scry 2.

It takes away a lot of the weakness in control decks (which is consistency) and it also encourages control decks to be straight-forward draw-go, which are irritating for a large part of the player base because they often lead to boring games.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

rabidsquid posted:

I wish I could give the benefit of the doubt but it really feels like people wish there was a specific wording to "WEll, actually"

Everyone here has been arguing that "if this is going to be Wizards's new policy, then they should make it a real policy instead of just silently banning people and hoping no one notices." You're the one who responds to that suggestion with "why are you defending a rapist?"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I am excited for calculated dismissal but really wish we had mana leak instead.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I keep wanting to post about this but basically my opinion is that the legal system doesn't work very well, and correct rehabilitation from that front is more important than banning this guy from magic forever. I don't completely agree with a lifetime ban, but I'd like to read a statement from Wizards and talk about that rather than debate about it in this thread.

Actually I'd just rather not debate about it in this thread, at all.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kyrosiris posted:

And if we are going to drag the judicial system into this, we should probably start with how low the actual reporting/trial/conviction rates on rape/sexual assault are (up to and including cops/attorneys going on the "well are you sure you didn't just lead him on" angle, etc).

I worked on a trial last year where one genuine defense was "well you never opened your eyes during it, it could have been anyone right?" :allears:

Death Bot posted:

I keep wanting to post about this but basically my opinion is that the legal system doesn't work very well, and correct rehabilitation from that front is more important than banning this guy from magic forever. I don't completely agree with a lifetime ban, but I'd like to read a statement from Wizards and talk about that rather than debate about it in this thread.

Actually I'd just rather not debate about it in this thread, at all.

It's not wotc's job to rehabilitate him and these aren't really related at all.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

why does that matter

It matters for the reason why was he banned.As it is, all we know is a guy was banned.

We also know he is a rapist.

Therefore we infer the likely reason he is banned is that he is a rapist.

Great, that is fine, and I am happy to see him go, gently caress him.

However, though it is highly likely, we can't actually know that. Without Wizards explicitly telling us, this ban is without any symbolic meaning, and it merely feels random. I am uncomfortable with non-codified penalization, it makes me feel uncomfortable and makes me lose trust in the penalizing organization. I am sure many don't feel this way, and that is understandable, but without specific rules and process penalization lacks any substantive punch and feels unethical to me. If this is supposed to be a move to make people feel more comfortable playing, then it needs to be part of a policy, and needs to have a statement attached, otherwise it is meaningless and unfair.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Honestly limited feels really loving strong in white right now. Definitely going to be the sold out color combo that is going to be sold out come prerelease.

White does look like the color to beat, I think green could be too because the 4/4 trample renown looks like the single best common in the set but it needs like, a yet to be spoiled prey upon or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Reposting after it got lost in rape-chat, but does anyone else think this kind of card is kind of bad for the game?
Not really. The downside on it vs a hard counter is very real, and having deck fixing like this means that control decks can more consistently play actual games rather than just being run over due to missing the right removal or land drops. I'm actually very pleased about scry being evergreen because I think it leads to more interesting decisions and interactive games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Everyone here has been arguing that "if this is going to be Wizards's new policy, then they should make it a real policy instead of just silently banning people and hoping no one notices." You're the one who responds to that suggestion with "why are you defending a rapist?"

It feels disingenuous because when that french dude threatened Helene Bergeot you didn't hear people stumping for a blanket policy be instated explictly stating it's against the rules to threaten to rape wotc employees.

edit: It really feels like an after the fact justification for a knee jerk reaction where people defended a heinous crime and then realized that it might look bad to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zoness posted:

I am excited for calculated dismissal but really wish we had mana leak instead.

I feel like this might be better in standard. Scry 2 isn't nothing and there aren't as many strong turn 2 plays as older formats. You can stop a turn 4 rhino in the draw still.

• Locked thread