Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

anotherone posted:

When your opponent puts a special box that says "Our condolences" on the front of their robot at the last moment before the match, how stupid do you have to be to immediately attack that box? Of course it's going to be a trap. Use the opportunity to flank it since it can't use its weapons.

I wonder how much training the drivers are able to do with other bots before they actually get in the ring.

I know, right? I was expecting glitter/confetti/etc.

I think Voodoo should have little voodoo dolls of the robots he fights, and mount the corresponding doll on Shaman. Then burn it! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

With all these flame bots running around would it against the rules to tape some water balloons to your bot.

What about sticking chunks of dry ice in or on your bot. This isn't for combat purposes I just think it would look cool to see a bot just constantly leaking fog.

Bots I want to see: 250 one pound bot swarm.

A bot that is just a cube with six really strong flippers on each side.

Thanks for reading my post I get really excited for robot fighting.

How would the cube bot fight though? it would be nearly impossible to predict its movement for the user other than a vague direction. If two sides had wheels on it, it would be a competent bot. Otherwise, it would be impossible to operate consistently.

Cool bot ideas:

A spinner, but with chains on the ends instead of just pure mass to make a flail

A vertical pincer design, but the top is flat and the bottom has a vertical spinner(s) poking up from inside the bot

A bot that can shoot bot lit and unlit liquid fuel

A flamethrower bot with a wide horizontal clamp to funnel opponents into its flamethrower

Edit: A robot with a drill

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

hayden. posted:

The magnet I described with a 120lb pull is only $20 on Amazon. A single one of those would easily hold a 20lb robot to a 250lb robot. Though you're right about the nonferrous weapons.

Keep in mind there will be an arms race. I'm betting most of these robots are deliberately kept a bit underweight, to allow for various modifications vs certain opponents. If magne-kazi minibots become a thing, then teams will just cover their bots with something inert like foam plastic or something to prevent them from getting good contact.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Xelkelvos posted:

How would the cube bot fight though? it would be nearly impossible to predict its movement for the user other than a vague direction. If two sides had wheels on it, it would be a competent bot. Otherwise, it would be impossible to operate consistently.

Cool bot ideas:

A spinner, but with chains on the ends instead of just pure mass to make a flail

A vertical pincer design, but the top is flat and the bottom has a vertical spinner(s) poking up from inside the bot

A bot that can shoot bot lit and unlit liquid fuel

A flamethrower bot with a wide horizontal clamp to funnel opponents into its flamethrower

Edit: A robot with a drill

Mauler was a spinner that had small flails. One advantage of this is if you hit the walls or the other robot dead on, the transfer of energy won't cause your own robot to violently jerk as much (since the chain will create some 'give')

Liquid fuel is against the rules, only butane and propane I believe.

Complete Control had a nice vertical clamp that looked like it would work well assuming it didn't have mobility issues early on

I haven't seen any drills ever. I think this is because they are even worse than saws when it comes to reliably damaging other robots. Even a sharp, powerful drill isn't going to bite into a surface that quickly, and that's assuming you have a decent amount of pressure behind it aiming it perpendicular to the surface. With the other robot constantly juking and swerving around, you'd barely scratch their paint with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I mean you can't even easily drill into wood without having to push the bit into it. If you build a robot that's capable of drawing in an opponent like that you don't need the drill, make that thing crush them.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Couldn't you have a bot with a real heavy gauge chain coming off its rear end just to get tangled up in bladespinners, and just run away until that happened.

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

You say that I think it's you, but I don't agree with that.

hayden. posted:

In my armchair battlebot builder speculation, it seems like you could get a team of 2 or 3 really small minibots with a bunch of those 1x2 square inch rare earth magnets. They are insanely strong and impossible to remove by hand if attached a flat piece of metal (120+ lb pull force). Make the minibots suicide into spinning blade opponents to get the massive magnets to stick to the blade. Surely it doesn't count as an entanglement device if it's the entire minibot sticking to your blade?

The magnets themselves would only be a couple pounds to have 4+ of them, and the wheels and motor to move them wouldn't weigh much either. You could have a whole swarm.

Or as a bonus, you can have those flamethrower minibots that stick to their enemies with the magnet, then use the flame to melt them (since the issue with the flamethrowers seems to be you can't hold it on the opponent long enough).

That would definitely count as entanglement. You're purposefully trying to stick things to the other robot with no easy way of letting go. Plus they would get stuck to the metal floor and be unable to move before they even got near the enemy robot.

Blue Canary fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 2, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robnoxious posted:

Also important, does Grant Imahara have a bot in the field?

Came here to ask this, fail

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Panfilo posted:

I haven't seen any drills ever. I think this is because they are even worse than saws when it comes to reliably damaging other robots. Even a sharp, powerful drill isn't going to bite into a surface that quickly, and that's assuming you have a decent amount of pressure behind it aiming it perpendicular to the surface. With the other robot constantly juking and swerving around, you'd barely scratch their paint with it.

There was a wedge robot on the UK battlebots years ago that had a drill. Except it was a huge rear end diameter drill (over an inch) and it spun really slow and did gently caress all.

Blue Canary posted:

That would definitely count as entanglement. You're purposefully trying to stick things to the other robot with no easy way of letting go. Plus they would get stuck to the metal floor and be unable to move before they even got near the enemy robot.

It seems like it's only entanglement as much as any robot that grips another. You're right about the metal floor though.

My new idea is a 250lb bot with huge magnets or huge grappling arms to stick to the enemy and drill a hole into them.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I've been watching some of the original run on YouTube for the sake of comparison/boredom and to see what I didn't retain as an 8-10 year old, and wow, I wish it was still on Comedy Central. Bil Dwyer is having much more fun than either of the chump announcers in this new one, they had half-hour episodes with as much action as these hour-long ones, and in general they understood the silliness of it all better than NBC seems to. Also lots of jokes that went way over my head as a child--Donna D'Erico told a (15-year-old!) driver that his bot suffered "premature devastation." A shot of a tower in San Francisco leads to Dwyer saying "of course we're in San Francisco so there's a phallic-looking building."

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Valeyard posted:

Came here to ask this, fail

Grant is hosting a crowdfunded robot combat show, "Robogames":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1555995549/bring-robot-combat-back-to-your-screen

Looks like it's actually going to be released in the next few months, I wonder if they knew that Battlebots was coming back when they started the campaign.

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

hayden. posted:

It seems like it's only entanglement as much as any robot that grips another. You're right about the metal floor though.

There used to be rules in place that would allow the match to be stopped if robots were deemed to be stuck together and unable to free themselves after a certain amount of time so they could be freed and i'm guessing this is still the case. I'm hoping there is another set of "Battle rules" with all this stuff in that we haven't seen, because the build rules don't have anything about match time, judging criteria .etc.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Okay so I'm over Battlebots, when do we get a giant piloted robot league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

Okay so I'm over Battlebots, when do we get a giant piloted robot league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

Only if everyone gets to be a cultural stereotype like in G-Gundam or whatever it was

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I do appreciate that the US one looks like a Mechwarrior and the Japanese one looks more like a mecha.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Henchman of Santa posted:

So I've been watching some of the original run on YouTube for the sake of comparison/boredom and to see what I didn't retain as an 8-10 year old, and wow, I wish it was still on Comedy Central. Bil Dwyer is having much more fun than either of the chump announcers in this new one, they had half-hour episodes with as much action as these hour-long ones, and in general they understood the silliness of it all better than NBC seems to. Also lots of jokes that went way over my head as a child--Donna D'Erico told a (15-year-old!) driver that his bot suffered "premature devastation." A shot of a tower in San Francisco leads to Dwyer saying "of course we're in San Francisco so there's a phallic-looking building."

I still remember one segue in the old run where they're talking about the hazards in the Battlebox and then one of the commentators (probably Dwyer) goes "Speaking of ramrods, let's go over to Donna D'Erico."

I think that's the issue I'm having with the current run. The robots are cool, but they're definitely over-presenting (much like any game/competition show does these days). Bringing in Kenny Florian and having the terrible in-box announcer shows that they're trying to hype up each match like a UFC fight, but it just comes across as cheesy (as a UFC fan; maybe the viewers who aren't fight fans are getting a kick out of it).

I agree on the timing, too. An hour show has about 45 minutes of content once you account for commercials. To only get 4 3-minute fights in those 45 minutes is pretty absurd (especially with episode 2 where they added on "Oh, by the way, these 4 other battles happened, but we aren't showing them to you.").

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not convinced that the announcers don't record their commentary until after the match. They sound extremely unnatural at all times.

Also funny seeing Sean Salisbury on the original one. I had no idea he did BattleBots before ESPN hired him. Speaking of which, this show should really be on ESPN2 (which falls under the same ownership).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm not convinced that the announcers don't record their commentary until after the match. They sound extremely unnatural at all times.

Also funny seeing Sean Salisbury on the original one. I had no idea he did BattleBots before ESPN hired him. Speaking of which, this show should really be on ESPN2 (which falls under the same ownership).

Of all the crazy stupid sports ESPN has put on the air over the years, it is surprising they never picked up any robot fights.

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Of all the crazy stupid sports ESPN has put on the air over the years, it is surprising they never picked up any robot fights.

They did Heroes of The Storm didn't they? Only a matter of time I bet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Since they give the robot builders money to build the robots, it has a leveling effect on competitors- formerly amateur roboticists aren't at a disadvantage against veterans that have lots of sponsorships. It also allows each team to get really creative in how they use the money.

But on the other hand, this kind of gimps the robot arms race. Previously, I heard some robots had titanium armor, for example. Is it worth it? Expensive per pound, and a bitch to weld, but given the kind of weapons you might be facing possibly worthwhile if you had the money.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Someone mentioned how Robot Wars was not the same metagame as Battlebots. Watching old matches with Ziggo and Razer, I definitely see what they mean. Those robots seem like they were 'armored' with 30 gauge aluminum sheet metal. Against any robot that could smash, pierce, or tear, they got ripped open like can openers.

In Battlebots this happened less unless it was part of the robot's design- exposed wheels, for example. Or a flashy robot that had a lot of greebles/decorations. But based on a lot of fights I saw, even robots that lost from being immobilized must have suffered internal damage- either their motors burned out, or the shock from hammers/impacts knocked wires loose. If you look at some bots like Biohazard, only very few opponents were actually able to damage them effectively, often at the cost of their own balance/structural integrity.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

They've always done match commentary in post. It is a lot more noticeable this season though as the commentators are clearly not as good as the old crew.

Panfilo posted:

But on the other hand, this kind of gimps the robot arms race. Previously, I heard some robots had titanium armor, for example. Is it worth it? Expensive per pound, and a bitch to weld, but given the kind of weapons you might be facing possibly worthwhile if you had the money.

Lots of robots have titanium armor though? Any time you see bright white sparks coming off something, that's titanium. Steel makes less bright orange sparks; aluminum and stainless don't spark at all. If you don't care about the cost, titanium is your best bet for armor because it has the highest strength to weight ratio of anything you're reasonably going to want to armor a bot in.

Battlebots doesn't pay people to build robots. You can win money if you place very well, but you'll spent a lot more on your bot by that point. That's one reason some people get sponsors.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

GuavaMoment posted:

Battlebots doesn't pay people to build robots. You can win money if you place very well, but you'll spent a lot more on your bot by that point. That's one reason some people get sponsors.

In this series, ABC gave each team a certain amount of money to build the bots. I heard $10,000 but that might've just been someone making up numbers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched the first two eps of this new season and this has been the first time I've watched robots fight in a bulletproof arena since I was like 14.

A question came up while me and my roomie were watching. Why are robot masters able to make last minute adjustments to their bots before the match? When we watched Lisa Winter slap a big metal bar to Plan X before its fight against Wrecks we both called foul. poo poo seemed super illegal but obviously wasn't.

If she's allowed to just throw in a hard counter like that on her robot, why doesn't every goddamn team who's up against a bot with a vertical spinner blade throw that mod on? Granted it didn't exactly work like intended, but still.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Other thing I didn't realize until I watched old episodes today--Lisa Winter is the one who made the ladybug bot

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Other thing I didn't realize until I watched old episodes today--Lisa Winter is the one who made the ladybug bot

They actually mention this when the show introduces her and her team. I remember because the moment we saw her ladybug bot I immediately called it a jobberbot due to it looking like all it did offensively was cover other bots in a big plastic ladybug shaped dome. I'm sure that worked out well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It had a saw underneath or something, but yeah it sucked.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

It was $8k (everyone spent more than this, some much more), the play by play commentary was done live (unlike on CC) and everyone does mods before each match to tailor their robot to their opponent.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Blooot posted:

It was $8k (everyone spent more than this, some much more), the play by play commentary was done live (unlike on CC) and everyone does mods before each match to tailor their robot to their opponent.

wait are you the guy who installed the net present thing on his bot because if so that was an A+ job and the best part of the episode

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aphrodite posted:

It had a saw underneath or something, but yeah it sucked.

And then they took out the saw and replaced it with, of all things, a hook. The internet tells me that there were indeed some battlebots defeated by a plastic ladybug with a hook underneath but I never saw it do anything other than lose on TV and I can't find any videos of hook-Tentoumushi winning a fight so I can only assume that everyone that lost to it had a mechanical failure unrelated to the battle because what the gently caress is a hook supposed to do

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Pakled posted:

And then they took out the saw and replaced it with, of all things, a hook. The internet tells me that there were indeed some battlebots defeated by a plastic ladybug with a hook underneath but I never saw it do anything other than lose on TV and I can't find any videos of hook-Tentoumushi winning a fight so I can only assume that everyone that lost to it had a mechanical failure unrelated to the battle because what the gently caress is a hook supposed to do

Keep in mind the previous iteration of battlebots had a lot more rules than this one yet in spite of that I saw/heard

-Robots getting chucked so high into the air the height of the walls became an issue (might have been Robot Wars)

-Robots getting mashed together so badly the match had to be temporarily stopped and crowbars were needed to separate them

-Electrical issues with some robots resulting in them bursting into flame :supaburn:

The fact that we have less rules now and that we haven't had a robot get slammed up into the ceiling, burst into flame or explode is disappointing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

If you read the Battlebots wiki there are absurdly detailed descriptions of every match.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

wait are you the guy who installed the net present thing on his bot because if so that was an A+ job and the best part of the episode

Yep, and thanks. Ppl on social media have been recalling my old something awful sponsorship from season 5 as a sign of me being a masterclass troll.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Blooot posted:

Yep, and thanks. Ppl on social media have been recalling my old something awful sponsorship from season 5 as a sign of me being a masterclass troll.
Haha, that's great.

gently caress THE HATERS!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you read the Battlebots wiki there are absurdly detailed descriptions of every match.

Somehow this robot managed to get KOed by Tentoumushi: http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/Stinger

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Somehow this robot managed to get KOed by Tentoumushi: http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/Stinger

I can see why, none of the other bot designs in its weightclass would fit under the ladydome.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can we get Something Awful to sponsor the bot if you're called back for another season??

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Panfilo posted:

Keep in mind the previous iteration of battlebots had a lot more rules than this one yet in spite of that I saw/heard

-Robots getting chucked so high into the air the height of the walls became an issue (might have been Robot Wars)

-Robots getting mashed together so badly the match had to be temporarily stopped and crowbars were needed to separate them

-Electrical issues with some robots resulting in them bursting into flame :supaburn:

The fact that we have less rules now and that we haven't had a robot get slammed up into the ceiling, burst into flame or explode is disappointing.

I'll be disappointed if Tombstone doesn't do this in Battlebots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpwI1KfEk

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blooot posted:

If it gets you picked for another season (if they have one) and you want to compete, go for it. Be the Goon on national TV and troll the gently caress out of competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

Pakled posted:

Tentoumushi went to Britain to fight in Robot Wars in the middleweight division, while still being a lightweight. It drew in one fight and then won a fight with the robot it drew with. Which sort of shows the build quality of our robots back in the day. It had a circular saw in it's appearance, but I think the foil they stuck inside the shell might have cut reception to a few of the robots, immobilizing them.

• Locked thread