Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Am I crazy, or was there something about Red Hood in City? I could have sworn that they discussed him in some capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

Am I crazy, or was there something about Red Hood in City? I could have sworn that they discussed him in some capacity.

There was a sequence in Arkham Origins where the game cuts to Joker talking to Harley, where it first showing him being a bad comedian fighting mooks, but then cuts to him as the Red Hood walking through the chemical plant to get knocked into the vat by Batman.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Honestly the main fault I can put on this game is that loving detached wide camera angle they only pull on the boss fights. It completely changes the feedback of the driving and makes your first attempt at those sections an almost guanteed gently caress up. I died once on the cloudburst fight and twice on the drill to that poo poo and was frustrated so shoutout to the fucko in this thread that reported 18 attempts on the cloudburst for not breaking the disk in half.

The Riddler trophies suck but you can and should ignore them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

theflyingorc posted:

If you play as Tim Drake on the Joker's Carnival map, Joker makes a brief reference to killing a previous Robin.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Woop, that's all the challenges 3 starred. Story mode 100%.

I think I'll hold off until all the patches are through before doing new game plus though.

Going back to the origins playthrough i was doing before Knight and it's really funny that people were saying Knight looked worse than these games. Batman just looks so loving cartoony now and the enhanced gliding mechanics have just ruined it.

You feel so clunky and slow in Origins/city and it might be tough to go back to that without taking a huge break from Knight.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tim Drake should've had more of a role in the story considering how much Jason whines about him being replaced by Tim. If Bruce wasn't going to turn down those allegations, Tim should have.

Him and Dick both, honestly. But every decision WB Montreal and Rocksteady has made in this series has screamed "We like Batman better alone." There's always some convenience to keep all the allies at an arm's length. Except Catwoman for whatever reason.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Beef Chief posted:

It is definitely out of nowhere, because he just disappears for the rest of the game and shows back up somehow knowing that Scarecrow planned to have him there and only to save him. There's nothing of him in the climax of the game, so the scene is pretty sporadic. It's obvious why he did it, it does happen really suddenly though and without warning. It's not even really a surprise so much as "Oh wait, he's still in the story?"

Yeah, Alfred calls up and is like "Hey, someone's tracking you" and my immediate first thought was, "Oh yeah, Nightwing's here to save the day".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SonicRulez posted:

Him and Dick both, honestly. But every decision WB Montreal and Rocksteady has made in this series has screamed "We like Batman better alone." There's always some convenience to keep all the allies at an arm's length. Except Catwoman for whatever reason.

Boobs. The reason is boobs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rirse posted:

There was a sequence in Arkham Origins where the game cuts to Joker talking to Harley, where it first showing him being a bad comedian fighting mooks, but then cuts to him as the Red Hood walking through the chemical plant to get knocked into the vat by Batman.

Yeah, I just felt like I remembered a small bit with either a character entry that referenced Jason Todd as the Red Hood or something. Googling reveals I'm probably crazy.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Hashy posted:

Honestly the main fault I can put on this game is that loving detached wide camera angle they only pull on the boss fights. It completely changes the feedback of the driving and makes your first attempt at those sections an almost guanteed gently caress up. I died once on the cloudburst fight and twice on the drill to that poo poo and was frustrated so shoutout to the fucko in this thread that reported 18 attempts on the cloudburst for not breaking the disk in half.

The Riddler trophies suck but you can and should ignore them.

People keep bringing up Camera changes in the Batmobile boss fights, but I can't remember a single one of these, I don't really remember any part where the camera was out of my control, and if it moves the just put it back, If you accidentally went to the wide angle Batmobile view just view change a few times until you go back to whichever mode you prefer. I will say the first person view is superior for any ceiling driving though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aquasnake posted:

People keep bringing up Camera changes in the Batmobile boss fights, but I can't remember a single one of these, I don't really remember any part where the camera was out of my control, and if it moves the just put it back, If you accidentally went to the wide angle Batmobile view just view change a few times until you go back to whichever mode you prefer. I will say the first person view is superior for any ceiling driving though.

Uh, no, the camera most definitely 100% pulls back super far in both the parts where you're being directly chased by the Excavator, as well as whenever you shoot the Cloudburst and it starts chasing you around the streets. It's not accidentally switching the view setting, it is moving the camera back into an even wider angle to show more of what's going on. It definitely happens in at least two separate occasions in the game, both of which have it happen during actions you need to do repeatedly, and there's no way to just keep the camera at a normal user setting for those points, outside of maybe doing it in first person mode. It didn't give me any trouble, but I distinctly remember both times it happened, because I thought "Man, this is gonna gently caress things up for a lot of people."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

"Someone's tracking you, sir." "I knew he'd come."

It's strongly hinted that it's about to happen, though there's a really long sequence in between. They should have put more time dedicated to him towards the end of the game, though.

But it's a really similar disappearance to what happens at the end of Captain America: Winter Soldier.

You can also find Jason's Red Bat emblem spray painted on a wall before entering Scarecrow's hideaout.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aquasnake posted:

It definitely changes your field of view, although i in no way understand why this makes people incapable of driving the batmobile anymore.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

Uh, no, the camera most definitely 100% pulls back super far in both the parts where you're being directly chased by the Excavator, as well as whenever you shoot the Cloudburst and it starts chasing you around the streets. It's not accidentally switching the view setting, it is moving the camera back into an even wider angle to show more of what's going on. It definitely happens in at least two separate occasions in the game, both of which have it happen during actions you need to do repeatedly, and there's no way to just keep the camera at a normal user setting for those points, outside of maybe doing it in first person mode. It didn't give me any trouble, but I distinctly remember both times it happened, because I thought "Man, this is gonna gently caress things up for a lot of people."

I just started NG+ so I'm not near either of these, but I'll keep my eye out when I get there and see if I just didn't notice because it wasn't a big deal to me or what.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kin posted:

He also repeatedly said Batman was his to kill and if he wanted to, i doubt he'd want to snipe him as he sat tied to a chair. Jason shot the gun out of scarecrows hand because Batman was not his to kill. I dunno if the Red Hood DLC addresses this but as fas as i was concerned he could still have a bit of a murder-on for Batman, just under the guise of the Red Hood rather than Arkham Knight

The DLC has no mention of Jason wanting to kill Batman, and the character bio for Red Hood states that he doesn't really have a hate-boner for Batman anymore, he just has conflicts with him since he believes in killing criminals. Which also kind of implies that Batman survives the Knightfall Protocol too I guess

also the camera for the excavator fight was annoying because with the pulled-back view, my screen would always get filled with things exploding behind me instead of showing what was in front of me.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 2, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Regarding Deathstroke, the problem was that the game didn't (and in some respects, couldn't) do a good enough job of flagging the fact that hitting the second counter early would get you hit. There were a couple attack animations that were also counter-intuitive. The devs did a few things in later development to try to make this clearer (added text appears onscreen if you die, for example, and some late-development voicework, iirc), but they weren't enough for a lot of players.

On why the game doesn't have a "martial artist" type fight with Jason, my best guess is that it's because it would be really hard and resource-intensive to execute. This is part of why Deathstroke came so early in Origins- fewer gadgets and tools to have to design around in the fight. Even with Deathstroke, the mechanics a)get boring fast in the counter-fest once you understand what's going on, and b) the bugs and errors in animation in that fight become very apparent if you spend a lot of time with it (such as when going for the flawless counter achievement on Challenge mode). It's very hard to manage transitions and exceptions to all the state changes in a one on one fight, which is part of why all of the fights against large or unique enemies in the whole series, aside from deathstroke, have had some sort of structural limitation on player actions, or have been fairly buggy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
OKay where the hell do I get the ice grenade from? I've done like all of the sidequests except Riddler trophies and I still haven't found the drat thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

OKay where the hell do I get the ice grenade from? I've done like all of the sidequests except Riddler trophies and I still haven't found the drat thing.

It's on a shelf in the room where all the Infected are locked up in the movie studios.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beef Chief posted:

its on the table next to the empty cell at the movie studio base. no one mentions it. there's just a prompt. look for the blue thing. yellow in detective mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Beef Chief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wUPPhC2mQ

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so does jason ever show up even in the 2 other postgame endings?????

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

so does jason ever show up even in the 2 other postgame endings?????

only if you want a mysterious figure to be him in your imagination

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

My wish for the next/another Batman game would be a Batman and Robin (or Batman and x, or x and x) multiplayer co-op game against the Court of Owls. With a nemesis style system for Talons.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bumfluff posted:

My wish for the next/another Batman game would be a Batman and Robin (or Batman and x, or x and x) multiplayer co-op game against the Court of Owls. With a nemesis style system for Talons.

This right here.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bumfluff posted:

That could work. My idea was in between Origins and Asylum. Dick could be Robin. Or if they wanted to make Knight matter more, it could be Jason Robin. It really bothers me that one of the things to get the MOST praise is critically underused in the entire game. I mean gently caress's sake, the only dual room you can even replay is a dual combat with only Nightwing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's never gonna happen since its Marvel instead of DC, but a Rocksteady made Black Panther game would be wonderful.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CharlestonJew posted:

also the camera for the excavator fight was annoying because with the pulled-back view, my screen would always get filled with things exploding behind me instead of showing what was in front of me.
This was why I did the excavator fight and parts of the cloudburst one in first person mode. Basically, if I'm just driving around I use the chase cam, but when poo poo gets serious it's better to go first person so you can properly see where you're going.

I guess the view pulls back because the game wants to be like "dude the instadeath boss is right behind you", but I kinda figured that out myself (not to mention that there's a distance gauge in the excavator fight) and thought the camera shift was distracting.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've mostly been avoiding this thread for spoilers (though I have an idea in my head of where I think the plot is headed, big reveals, etc..., so I'm almost dreading that I'm right), but I do know that apparently to get the 'good ending' you have to 100% the game.

I'm guessing that the last auto-save point before the end is at a point of no return, and that I can't finish the game, see the "bad" ending, and then load up my save, leave the area, get 100%, and then see the "good" ending? So I'd have to copy my save before doing the last story-line mission, finish the game, then go to the copies save, get 100%, and then do the last mission again?

Or I suppose just 100% the drat thing and watch a Let's Play of the bad ending. Or get bored/frustrated trying to 100% and watch an LP of the good ending.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've mostly been avoiding this thread for spoilers (though I have an idea in my head of where I think the plot is headed, big reveals, etc..., so I'm almost dreading that I'm right), but I do know that apparently to get the 'good ending' you have to 100% the game.

I'm guessing that the last auto-save point before the end is at a point of no return, and that I can't finish the game, see the "bad" ending, and then load up my save, leave the area, get 100%, and then see the "good" ending? So I'd have to copy my save before doing the last story-line mission, finish the game, then go to the copies save, get 100%, and then do the last mission again?

Or I suppose just 100% the drat thing and watch a Let's Play of the bad ending. Or get bored/frustrated trying to 100% and watch an LP of the good ending.

when you beat the game batman says "gotham still needs me tonight" and you finish up the reqs for the next ending where he says the exact same thing until you get the 3rd ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You're wrong on all counts here.

There isn't a bad end/good end. There is an ending and an extended ending which is basically a stinger.

There is no point of no-return. Even if you see the normal ending you can continue and go for the 100% ending right after.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Just have to chip in about the Deathstroke fight last page. It felt repetitive in regular mode with all the counter prompts. However the lower reaction time and the lack of visual button prompts / "Bat-sense" queue really made it a lot more intense on NG+. It was just so much faster and more intense so it felt like a legit fight more than a QTE sequences broken up by a few fight moments.

Edit: Admittedly it'd be impossible to do without the training wheels the first time around, as you'd be lost in the fight-specific mechanics. But knowing them and pulling it off with less reaction time and no prompts just amps up the "hell yeah" factor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm wondering if Deathstroke and Firefly were mid-development executive-forced additions to the game. Neither seems particularly well-developed- though this game is still head and shoulders above Origins from a design perspective, setting the PC port problems aside.

MG
Feb 13, 2001

My name is Pleasence and I am FUNKY!
Oh neat I'm stuck behind a door I can't interact with in a Penguin weapon cache. Oh all my autosaves from before I went in are overwritten because I opened and closed the game a few times trying to fix it? Ok sure I'll wait for a patch. Super.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm wondering if Deathstroke and Firefly were mid-development executive-forced additions to the game. Neither seems particularly well-developed- though this game is still head and shoulders above Origins from a design perspective, setting the PC port problems aside.

Given the huge delay the game had, I could easily see:

"We don't have anything if you finish all the militia missions. Add something, but basically use existing assets."

and

"Currently, you capture Firefly at the end of rescuing all of the firefighters. Instead, give him his own missions and we'll figure out something to finish up the firefighters."

Because, at the end of the firefighters, It seems really, really messed up to lock the chief up with Pyg and Deathstroke.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The next game will be set in the future and called Batman: Arkham Beyond: Return of the Electrocutioner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

That's a pretty big stretch. Firefly is as well developed as any of the other side villains and his gimmick is very clearly distinguished both from a setting perspective (find the flaming buildings) and from a gameplay perspective ( a 'chase' based Batmmobile boss.). He's even referenced in connection to one of the other subplots and in general he makes a lot of sense in the game. He's a better inclusion than Two-Face or Hush at least. At most I'd suspect that he was intended to be a boss fight at the end of the Firefighter subplot and they moved him to his own independent one, but otherwise he fills a niche the game doesn't have.

Deathstroke is half-assed but I don't think he's half-assed because he is forced in. He's half-assed because they needed a 'replacement' Arkham Knight for the post-game and so players only will encounter him for a short period of time as a replacement for other characters. They don't even bother to change the voice synthesizer for him. (Mooks just go "I knew the boss wouldn't abandon us!" instead.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

The only well developed side quests were Pyg and the Penguin.

Everything else is cookie cutter from other things to do in the game, just plain lovely (Riddler, Militia), or clearly lacking.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ayn rand hand job posted:

The only well developed side quests were Pyg and the Penguin.

Everything else is cookie cutter from other things to do in the game, just plain lovely (Riddler, Militia), or clearly lacking.

The main Riddler quest is actually very good, I'm just irritated that the boss fight is gated behind his trophies.

I also liked Two Face but it wasn't very story heavy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, I just felt like I remembered a small bit with either a character entry that referenced Jason Todd as the Red Hood or something. Googling reveals I'm probably crazy.

IIRC Asylum has a character profile for Hush that would have mentioned Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I also liked Two Face but it wasn't very story heavy.

I wouldn't have minded Two-Face if it didn't feel so... rushed. Like you get it and can do all three quests as soon as you get it and there's very little buildup or escalation. Even taking down Two-Face doesn't feel as significant as it did in City and he was an absolute sideshow there. It feels like they could have at least included something to make him stand out more.

• Locked thread