Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

You know what works? What sells? What drives this loving company? What makes my anus quiver? Space Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The silver ones arent bad.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I bet they use hand crossbows too along with their neato shields.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ultramega posted:

I bet they use hand crossbows too along with their neato shields.

hand bolt throwers

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They can throw their hammers. I don't know if they just get a new one or if they have to pick it up again though.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Sure hope they scream TEMPOS or SIGMAR when they do it and it returns to their hands.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkopath posted:

They can throw their hammers. I don't know if they just get a new one or if they have to pick it up again though.

Well, in space wolves lore it teleports back into the hand, which has a tiny teleport homer stuck into it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LordAba posted:

Well, in space wolves lore it teleports back into the hand, which has a tiny teleport homer stuck into it.

Can space marines bend down to pick stuff up or do they just have the librarians psychic it up for them?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Can space marines bend down to pick stuff up or do they just have the librarians psychic it up for them?

Most of them Power-Squat to pick things up - just look at the models !

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

This is especially funny because Space Wolves loath teleporting.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

LordAba posted:

Well, the chaplain has fearless+rerolls+invul+mace. The psyker has one random power+primary power+force weapon. I guess it depends on what you value more; a full 10 man assault squad with fearless and rerolls is worth it IMO. White scars and Blood angels get some really good benefit from it.
Of course the question becomes "are assault marines worth it", but that is a different topic.

If you are spending points to up the psyker level you generally don't want to risk him in close combat.

Well if you are divination you need to be within 12' to do anything useful to that squad, so he is likely riding with them. Still, rerolls from the Chaplain are in the first round of combat, right? If you are Divination Librarian they are every turn, or you could always go Biomancy and see if you get the rapey melee powers. Since the Chaplain cost the same as a Captain and is expressly meant to be in melee combat they could of atleast given them another attack or wound...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

As long as it's not them teleporting it's fine.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
"It's dark untrustworthy magics!" Judiciously throws around lightning and literally opens up the surface of planets without irony

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DJ Dizzy posted:

"It's dark untrustworthy magics!" Judiciously throws around lightning and literally opens up the surface of planets without irony

They think it's a lovely way to die, that's all. As far as I know the only statement that they didn't teleport at all was in the 3E Codex Space Wolves, which has been contradicted several times in the 10-15 years since it came out.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Created by the Emperor Sigmar himself... that is just shameless.

The problem with Terminator Chaplains is that you lose the 2 CCW attack bonus and being in a Terminator suit precludes sweeping advance. They used to be a no-brainer to take when they had the same statlines as Captains and assault was king. And a 4+ was actually difficult to obtain. Now, you just rifle off a Str6 3++ save maniac with an AP2 sword.

The poor Chaplain is Miles O"Brien At Work:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Gentlemen, The HMC Boudica.

Stick some Orks on there and rename it Da Kill-stompa and you've got yourself a proppa Ork konstruct!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

I can see why, with the hilarity of how Lysander got his position.

"I hosed up my teleport homer and my boss teleported into a rock and I took his hammer" "Perfect, you are hired!"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished off the first of two Grey Hunter units and a Wolf Lord for mongol's commission, though the bases still need to be done.

The dynamic red cape came out looking really :geno: in that shot, but it looks deeper in person. I'll probably add some runes to it in the future before it gets shipped out for action.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sir Teabag posted:

So given GW's love of selling models - is anyone else getting kind of worried for 40K? They got rid of points values in Age of Sigmore, and already give SM free transports. Chances we'll see, not the same kind of background world destruction, but maybe an incremental shift towards "no points - bring what you want"? Or are we already seeing the beginning of that in this edition with all the mini-dexes, Strength D, formations, and free units?

I’m worried. GW sucks as a company.

I’ve been trying to figure out over the last few years whats going on and now I think I get it. I feel GW will, over time and given a chance, Sigmore 40k. They have made it clear through actions that this edition is about balance-by-volume and the last few years have slowly eased people into it: UnBound, Formations, Super Heavies, Data Slates, D-Weapons, Free Units etc.

My one point of optimism is that 30K will remain Forgeworld. Yet, if the trend keeps up, it'll never become a sister product to 40K. Instead it'll be GW’s hardcore product for historical gamers. I can see a future where Forgeworld releases 'Imperial Armor: Codex' while GW prime churns out data slates and other poo poo targeting casual gamers and children. This means my 30K hobby will continue, but my pool of gamer bros will shrivel up and it will become a niche with a giant barrier to entry. Prices will go up as volume goes down.

I’m not optimistic about the possibilities I see. Hopefully AoS flops disastrously and GW is sane enough not to attempt the same thing here. Again, GW is awful and does no market research, so even if it does I can’t expect them to do anything rational. I don't enjoy negative posting, but I don't see much light in this grim dark tunnel.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Age of Sigmar is making me feel the same feel as when the the "New Adventures of He Man" came out.

I can't believe they renamed Orcs to Orruks.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I was paging through the Dark Angels codex last night, and there's a page that spells out the org chart for Space Marines. Like, it shows a Tactical squad as 1 Sergeant (or Veteran Sergeant), 1 Heavy Weapon guy, 1 Special Weapon guy, and 7 Bolter guys. The box right next to it describes assault squads as 1 sergeant, 2 special weapons, and 8 pistol/sword guys. I had to read it three or four times before I came to terms with the knowledge that someone at GW can't, like, count.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

I was paging through the Dark Angels codex last night, and there's a page that spells out the org chart for Space Marines. Like, it shows a Tactical squad as 1 Sergeant (or Veteran Sergeant), 1 Heavy Weapon guy, 1 Special Weapon guy, and 7 Bolter guys. The box right next to it describes assault squads as 1 sergeant, 2 special weapons, and 8 pistol/sword guys. I had to read it three or four times before I came to terms with the knowledge that someone at GW can't, like, count.

I saw the exact same thing when I first looked at that page. I'm going to chalk it up to the extra dudes being used as transport drivers or some poo poo even though I know the real reason. :downs:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

I’m worried. GW sucks as a company.

I’ve been trying to figure out over the last few years whats going on and now I think I get it. I feel GW will, over time and given a chance, Sigmore 40k. They have made it clear through actions that this edition is about balance-by-volume and the last few years have slowly eased people into it: UnBound, Formations, Super Heavies, Data Slates, D-Weapons, Free Units etc.

My one point of optimism is that 30K will remain Forgeworld. Yet, if the trend keeps up, it'll never become a sister product to 40K. Instead it'll be GW’s hardcore product for historical gamers. I can see a future where Forgeworld releases 'Imperial Armor: Codex' while GW prime churns out data slates and other poo poo targeting casual gamers and children. This means my 30K hobby will continue, but my pool of gamer bros will shrivel up and it will become a niche with a giant barrier to entry. Prices will go up as volume goes down.

I’m not optimistic about the possibilities I see. Hopefully AoS flops disastrously and GW is sane enough not to attempt the same thing here. Again, GW is awful and does no market research, so even if it does I can’t expect them to do anything rational. I don't enjoy negative posting, but I don't see much light in this grim dark tunnel.

Pretty serious post. I'm kind of ambivalent about it either way. If they go down in a blaze of ineptness I'll still my few friends I have been playing with since 1993. We dont really need new rules. We just like to gently caress around from time to time with our dollies. In fact the constant barrage of new rules to replace old rules is a constant headache of searching through a huge slew of PDFS. I feel loving dirty even just thinking about buying rules when I could spend money on models and actually have something that wont be obsolete in 18 months or so.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
First time painter, got an Assault on Black Reach and a Battlewagon a few years ago but didn't really have a place to play so I lost interest and never got far, but a store opened up here a few months ago I got all my stuff out and I've been working my way through it.

I've read a bit and watched a bunch of painting tutorials but before I put my brush to the plastic i'd never painted any miniatures or models before.

Here's my WIP Battlewagon:

Still gotta give it some red racing stripes, wash grime and grit all over, and then lightly drybrush some tin bitz or boltgun for wear over some parts.

I've gotten the gunners and turrets about the same I'll take some pics when I work on them tonight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ultramega posted:

You know what works? What sells? What drives this loving company? What makes my anus quiver? Space Marines.

They're also 35mm scale, so you can't use them for Blood Angel conversions, and they stand out amongst normal marines

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

They're also 35mm scale, so you can't use them for Blood Angel conversions, and they stand out amongst normal marines

I'm pretty sure they're solid scale for Terminators/true-scale marines, though, which is exactly what I plan to do with some.

(After they hit ebay.)

edit: Yyyyup.

BirdieBedtime fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 2, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
From what I can tell Age of Sigmar is sort of its own thing and not a straight replacement for WHFB, so I'm not too fussed about it. They need a game to take place of LotR, and it makes sense to have it be something Warhammer related. Maybe I don't know the entire story, but the fact that the game's called "Age of Sigmar" and not "Warhammer Fantasy Battles" is pretty clear. If they want to make a funky skirmish game in the same universe as one of their other games, I can't complain. Hell, I hope they do the same for 40k and we get a new Necromunda/Kill Team to go along with the core game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

From what I can tell Age of Sigmar is sort of its own thing and not a straight replacement for WHFB, so I'm not too fussed about it. They need a game to take place of LotR, and it makes sense to have it be something Warhammer related. Maybe I don't know the entire story, but the fact that the game's called "Age of Sigmar" and not "Warhammer Fantasy Battles" is pretty clear. If they want to make a funky skirmish game in the same universe as one of their other games, I can't complain. Hell, I hope they do the same for 40k and we get a new Necromunda/Kill Team to go along with the core game.

AoS absolutely replaces WHFB, to the point that stores are restocking their shelves with WHFB stock under the AoS banner.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They're also recalling all rulebooks relating to WHFB and even some units. WHFB is dead, baby.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

LingcodKilla posted:

Pretty serious post. I'm kind of ambivalent about it either way. If they go down in a blaze of ineptness I'll still my few friends I have been playing with since 1993. We dont really need new rules. We just like to gently caress around from time to time with our dollies. In fact the constant barrage of new rules to replace old rules is a constant headache of searching through a huge slew of PDFS. I feel loving dirty even just thinking about buying rules when I could spend money on models and actually have something that wont be obsolete in 18 months or so.

I'm with you. I can always play games like that, but it means our group is going to be small and we'll never really pick up new armies or players. Over time we'll all end up playing better supported games.

SRM posted:

Hell, I hope they do the same for 40k and we get a new Necromunda/Kill Team to go along with the core game.

Hope is the first step on the road to Sigmar

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

This will never happen

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
But they MIGHT poo poo can 40k and replace it with a worse Kill Team / Necromandur

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Slimnoid posted:

AoS absolutely replaces WHFB, to the point that stores are restocking their shelves with WHFB stock under the AoS banner.

Yeah it wouldn't be the first time GW has lied to it's store runners but they have been explicitly told there is no 9th edition coming.

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm pretty sure they're solid scale for Terminators/true-scale marines, though, which is exactly what I plan to do with some.

(After they hit ebay.)

edit: Yyyyup.

I love the look on the skink's face in the fourth picture. "This loving guy."

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ghost hand seems to have the pulse on GW. I would love to see if he heard anything leading up to this. It's so horrible, what happened?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LordAba posted:

Ghost hand seems to have the pulse on GW. I would love to see if he heard anything leading up to this. It's so horrible, what happened?
WHFB wasn't making money so they decided to do something drastically different.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

Make a good edition that balances a lot of rules while engaging the community wouldn't have been a drastic change? Oh wait, that would take effort.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cataphract posted:

I can't believe they renamed Orcs to Orruks.

Looking forward to "Space Orruks" being introduced into 40k as a new strain of greenskin genus.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I don't disagree that this might be the goal, but their execution is both damaging their IP and disenfranchising their user base

Like it always does, but also like somebody tuned up the volume and ripped the knob off

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So, just had my first game against the new Dark Angels. I was running a drop pod list with blood angels, skiitari and cult mechanicus. Also some big robots and a fire raptor. (it was my rat list I've talked about.) He was running a combo of Ravenwing and Deathwing.

He started the ravenwing and the darkshroud on the table. I went first. Thanks to my formation with the cult mech, I was able to remove a squad of bikes because he failed one of his re-rollable 2+ jink saves, and the destoyers got ignores cover. On his turn he boosts the other squad right up to my line. My second turn all of my reserves come in. I shoot my entire army, including 48 grav shots and fifteen S6 ap 3 shots, plus a bunch of rad carbines and arc rifles, a full loadout from a fire raptor. I fail to do a single wound or hull point. I ended up taking an early lead by grabbing a lot of maelstrom objectives, but by the end I had only the Fire Raptor still alive and I lost 12 to 10.

So what I'm saying is gently caress re-rollable 2+ saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't disagree that this might be the goal, but their execution is both damaging their IP and disenfranchising their user base

Like it always does, but also like somebody tuned up the volume and ripped the knob off

If this thing starts rippling out and causing customers to lose confidence in 40k I will laugh so hard.

• Locked thread