Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bobmarleysghost posted:

To be fair, your wording is inaccurate, esp when you know you're dealing with a layman.

This: "Install software with the following commands" implies that the text that follows is a series of commands.
So they don't think and copy/paste.

But I do get it, SA's should know what is being asked of them. That is linux 101 type stuff.

This isn't a layman, this a tier 3 system administrator at one of the largest multi-national banks. These are the only guys with sudo access to their servers. It's infuriating how poorly they do their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This isn't a layman, this a tier 3 system administrator at one of the largest multi-national banks. These are the only guys with sudo access to their servers. It's infuriating how poorly they do their job.
It's bizarre how many people in this thread defended that guy, considering that passing Linux shell commands isn't something you'd typically be instructing generic end users on

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Not to mention why the gently caress would a bank sysadmin execute a command on their servers before they understood it fully rather than just copy and pasting it and hitting enter.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You want me to copy files, like some sort of front line technician? Please.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Well they would probably get a lot better performance, BeOS was always lightning quick when I used it even though Pentium IIs were still high end at the time. I remember the Be fans used to love playing a half dozen videos simultaneously, which was actually a feat before the days of hardware decode acceleration and multi-GHz multi-core CPUs.

Doing something useful with that performance on the other hand, that might be tricky. I think there's some crazy bastards still supporting Firefox on the Haiku fork/clone/whatever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Demonachizer posted:

Not to mention why the gently caress would a bank sysadmin execute a command on their servers before they understood it fully rather than just copy and pasting it and hitting enter.

It's a dev system, so it's a complete sandbox, with no chance of data loss of any kind, but yeah, it's crazy and it's infuriating, since they have a strict timeline on the delivery, but also don't allow me to do anything on the servers unless I work through their SA, and I can only work with him via ticket notes. My other bank clients will get their guy in a webex with me and I can work with him directly, but this bank doesn't do that.

I've also had him do stupid things like have him copy a file to a location, and then untar it, but I'll make a slight typo in the name of the file (usually due to Outlook auto-capitalizing the words).

It goes like this:

do these commands:

cp /var/tmp/file.tar.gz /home/USER/
tar -xvf /home/USER/File.tar.gz

and two days later I get back in the ticket:

Unable to untag file, file not found:

user@server:$ cp /var/tmp/file.tar.gz /home/USER/
user@server:$ tar -xvf /home/USER/File.tar.gz
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/home/USER/File.tar.gz'

Seriously, I know I made a typo, but come on.

My other favorite thing is to install this one piece of software requires making a hard link between two files, I'm not really clear why that is part of it, but for some reason this installation script does that. It's never been a problem, since it untars a package to a tmp folder, links from the installation target to the tmp folder and then, I think, removes the tmp folder, so the files in the target at left behind. I'm not sure why it hard links instead of just mv or cp, but that's what it does.

Problem is you can't hardlink between two different file systems (maybe it's between to different block devices too), so on this server /tmp and /root aren't the same file systems. The admin untar to /tmp/ runs the script, and gets a very clear error "Unable to link between different filesystems". I've seen this before, and I say you just have to untar it to /var/tmp instead of /tmp and it will work.

It blew his mind and he was like no, I don't understand how that is any different and refused. I had to escalate like three levels above him to get him to just run the command to copy to /var/tmp instead of /tmp . This took us weeks to get through, it was a nightmare. His problem was not that he couldn't do that, but he just didn't understand how a symlink and a hardlink were different, and refused to admit it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Demonachizer posted:

You know the answer to this.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Problem is you can't hardlink between two different file systems (maybe it's between to different block devices too), so on this server /tmp and /root aren't the same file systems. The admin untar to /tmp/ runs the script, and gets a very clear error "Unable to link between different filesystems". I've seen this before, and I say you just have to untar it to /var/tmp instead of /tmp and it will work.

Filesystems. It creates another entry for a given inode, and increments the link count of that inode by 1. As long as the link count is >0, that inode is allocated.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Seriously, I know I made a typo, but come on.

Find out his forums account name.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Demonachizer posted:

The best part about this is that the SA is dense enough not to realise he is dealing with steps, step 1 - step 2, and just pasted the whole line.

He gets a six figure salary doesn't he?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Those guys are deliberately loving with you. I've seen a lot of poo poo over the years, but there's no way anyone who's spent any amount of time using a Linux system could literally not understand how to copy a file or install an RPM. I'd guess they're either lazy as gently caress or overworked and burned out and they are purposely misinterpreting your instructions so they can put off actually doing any work and blame the delays on the vendor.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dennyk posted:

Those guys are deliberately loving with you. I've seen a lot of poo poo over the years, but there's no way anyone who's spent any amount of time using a Linux system could literally not understand how to copy a file or install an RPM. I'd guess they're either lazy as gently caress or overworked and burned out and they are purposely misinterpreting your instructions so they can put off actually doing any work and blame the delays on the vendor.
Or they know absolutely nothing about Linux because they're A Windows Guy or because they're management, or both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Kill him and steal his power, what little there is.

Better, suggest that in order to improve his ability to think, he should partially sever both halves of his brain.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dennyk posted:

If it's dev, there are reasonable odds that it's a server walled off in some CAN that none of the admins touch or use, and you're dealing with some build engineer who doesn't know rpm from a hole in the ground because clearcase and Tivoli are his whole life

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe communicating only by ticket notes is this guy's way of hiding that he has no clue what he's doing and is completely unqualified for his position?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: At work I put a lot of purchases on my personal credit cards, then submit expense reports at the end of the month. They never gave me a company card, my bosses have all been cool with it, Finance is cool with it. The last couple of months have been a bit crazy, as we're ramping up for the launch of a new EHR system my expense reports have been creeping higher and higher. This month's was over $8500. Yeah, that is kinda insane, and potentially a really stupid thing to be doing, I know I know. But you better believe I am leveraging the gently caress out of it. This just came today:

:agesilaus:

All of those Ebay purchases were also put on a card with 1.5% cash back. Plus I pull in about $200/mo in Amazon rewards points. Just signed up for the Amazon Store Card which gives a 5% cash back (vs 3% on the Visa) so I'll be raking in even more soon, awww yissss.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sirotan posted:

All of those Ebay purchases were also put on a card with 1.5% cash back. Plus I pull in about $200/mo in Amazon rewards points. Just signed up for the Amazon Store Card which gives a 5% cash back (vs 3% on the Visa) so I'll be raking in even more soon, awww yissss.

This is a pretty sweet situation, not because you're getting so much cash back, but because your bosses and accounting department can apparently be trusted to reimburse you in a timely fashion.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Che Delilas posted:

This is a pretty sweet situation, not because you're getting so much cash back, but because your bosses and accounting department can apparently be trusted to reimburse you in a timely fashion.

I get my expense checks promptly and without fail, if I had doubts that they couldn't reimburse me I certainly wouldn't be doing any of this.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should build a kegerator with all the cash or use it for something adult and responsible instead...

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sirotan posted:

... or use it for something adult and responsible instead...

Uhh, that IS the responsible adult thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had an agreement at a previous job where I got reimbursed for all my work related purchasing put on my own card, then they changed their head finance guy and put a freeze on all spending until they unfucked their accounts. They saw reimbursing me as optional, and only really took action when I turned up and just started removing gear from the server room to sell to pay it off.

So I'm not doing it again. Company card or nothing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Mine is usually good about paying my expense reports, though one time they let it sit for over a month and I almost got the card froze. Since I no longer have offsite duties, I look forward to never using Concur again.

I did enjoy racking up Enterprise points though. My predecessor liked to stay in hotels when he went so that would rake in points there.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sirotan posted:

Now I'm trying to decide if I should build a kegerator with all the cash or use it for something adult and responsible instead...

Being a responsible adult includes maintaining balance in your life, like doing fun things because they're fun, so you don't have a nervous breakdown over the stress of nothing but work and obligation and go on a shooting rampage.

You'd be doing this for everyone else's sake :colbert:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I had an agreement at a previous job where I got reimbursed for all my work related purchasing put on my own card, then they changed their head finance guy and put a freeze on all spending until they unfucked their accounts. They saw reimbursing me as optional, and only really took action when I turned up and just started removing gear from the server room to sell to pay it off.

So I'm not doing it again. Company card or nothing.

holy cow that's ballsy. Thought your second paragraph was going to be "So I'm looking for work again".

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Running company purchases through personal cards is the bomb because holy gently caress points but I don't recommend it unless you can pay off the balance your self if they're slow or you can get whoever is responsible fired.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Manslaughter posted:

holy cow that's ballsy. Thought your second paragraph was going to be "So I'm looking for work again".

I did say previous job, although I left on my own terms because that sort of poo poo merely scratched the surface of what they felt was acceptable. And they paid up quite quickly when they realised that I wasn't joking about getting paid one way or the other.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
As much as it points toward the old IT stereotype, I really really want a basement or some place that keeps me the gently caress away from people.

I think I'm starting to lose it being sat next to everyone who thinks it's cool to constantly pitch questions like;
"My computer is running a little slow, I thought I should let you know about this"
"Did you hear that sound that sounded like a new E-mail? Do you know where it could be coming from?"
"How do I put paper in the tray?"
"Can you print off this thing for me?"

For the love of god gently caress off with your inane poo poo, I've taken to unironically telling particularly annoying people to just "Google it" since they think I'm the everlasting font of knowledge for absolutely everything in life.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Buahahaha. Not pissing me off, but pissing our staff off. We hired 25 people. 10 started this week. We barely scrounged together 7 workstations. 15 start on Monday. New workstations have been ordered, but won't ship until the 21st... No idea what those people will be doing after training next week. We already had the 10 this week moving furniture, assembling desks, unpacking monitors, ect while the poor helpdesk dude scrambled to find spare systems and get them imaged. Time to buy him some scotch.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I get my expense checks promptly and without fail, if I had doubts that they couldn't reimburse me I certainly wouldn't be doing any of this.

I thought the choice was a boat or trip to europe?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Super Slash posted:

As much as it points toward the old IT stereotype, I really really want a basement or some place that keeps me the gently caress away from people.

I think I'm starting to lose it being sat next to everyone who thinks it's cool to constantly pitch questions like;
"My computer is running a little slow, I thought I should let you know about this"
"Did you hear that sound that sounded like a new E-mail? Do you know where it could be coming from?"
"How do I put paper in the tray?"
"Can you print off this thing for me?"

For the love of god gently caress off with your inane poo poo, I've taken to unironically telling particularly annoying people to just "Google it" since they think I'm the everlasting font of knowledge for absolutely everything in life.

IT really does need a little separation, as we tend to end up as concierge or a living, walking instruction manual. People in the lab loving love doing this and falling back on their learned helplessness about computer. They will literally say "Oh I'm old I can't learn". Bitch you can do o-chem and calculus, you're basically a genius just for passing those courses, don't give me that nonsense.

We were permitted to leave early on Thursday due to holiday. I'm all ready to go when my site manager gets a call from a user who wants scan to email set up.

Off I loving go. Oh we should test this on this computer here. Oh wait, it can't boot right because of this bug that comes up and it's so slow either the HD is failing or the encryption is messing it up. 40 minutes just for that. There is no ticket, there never will be a ticket. Why is the one person responsible for getting people to put in tickets not doing anything of the sort and rewarding people playing Phone Battleship to see who they can rope into doing their bidding? I saw that user call me too, I ignored it. The last thing we need during a buyout and possible transfer to inhouse is people not getting credit for work because they're too lazy to call a helpdesk.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

skooma512 posted:

We were permitted to leave early on Thursday due to holiday. I'm all ready to go when my site manager gets a call from a user who wants scan to email set up.
Actually a similar thing happened yesterday (Friday), we had a company free barbeque & drinks outing lined up and got to leave an hour early.

Of course as the hour creeps up the finance manager finds me and ropes me into her office for problems, just as I finished replacing a drum unit and toners. Basically our Direct Debit software is playing up again and she's got the provider helpdesk on the phone, essentially what we ended up doing was down grading Internet Explorer, testing software, and going all the way down to 8 (Yes that's right). Normally installs/downgrades ain't no thang but no word of a lie it taken 30 minutes for each downgrade/restart/login to carry out on this goddamn laptop, and the manager kept walking off when I needed her back for credentials.

When that was all done two hours after kickout I wasn't really up for company buddy-buddy time, but I punched in a GPS route on my phone then got on my bike. Phone didn't pump any sound through my earphone and I ended up overshooting the bar, then on a main road the bike crapped out and I called for a recovery since I didn't have my tools with me.

:shepface:

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
The core application all of our branches use found a whole new way to piss me off this week, when I found a file called UserPasswordHistory.txt in one of the folders for the management application. It is exactly as it says on the tin. :cripes: I knew the application was insecure by design*, but not that insecure!

*Until a recent update, there was a hardcoded root password. With a very low number of lowercase-only characters. The management application was better and yet worse; root access was controlled by a pixel hunt.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Super Slash posted:

Actually a similar thing happened yesterday (Friday), we had a company free barbeque & drinks outing lined up and got to leave an hour early.

That's only for normal people - those IT geeks never go outside or interact with people, so it's not like they'll care if they have to miss the company shindig. Hell, they probably rejoice on working extra time when a 3-day weekend approaches since they love computers and all that.

/sarcasm

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That's only for normal people - those IT geeks never go outside or interact with people, so it's not like they'll care if they have to miss the company shindig. Hell, they probably rejoice on working extra time when a 3-day weekend approaches since they love computers and all that.

/sarcasm

You say that sarcastically, but I guarantee there are non-IT people out there who really do think that and specifically drop things on IT at the end of the day before long weekends or company-wide social things because of it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

/sarcasm

This more or less sums up why I absolutely hate shows like the Big Bang Theory. I absolutely positively do get compared to that because I exhibit a professional interest in the computers "with the beeping and the error messages and things I choose to remain belligerently ignorant about don't understand." It's like oh hey there's a smart guy doing things he must be like those smart guys talking about things I don't understand.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Don't even get me started on that loving show. It's certainly poo poo that pisses me off. On the other face of that coin you also get all the negative associations portrayed by the actors - all IT guys are sarcastic and condescending as well, don't you know?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Don't even get me started on that loving show. It's certainly poo poo that pisses me off. On the other face of that coin you also get all the negative associations portrayed by the actors - all IT guys are sarcastic and condescending as well, don't you know?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKL6RM8hsY

e: here's the full skit: https://screen.yahoo.com/nick-burns-companys-computer-guy-000000500.html

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 6, 2015

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

I'm reminded of that firefight in Black Hawk Down where one of soldiers shouts "Sarge sarge! they're shooting at us!" and Sgt. Knight grimaces back "Well shoot back at them!?", except replace the Somalians with on screen notifications.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

IT really does need a little separation, as we tend to end up as concierge or a living, walking instruction manual.

This. The company's moving to a larger space and IT is being put out on the floor with the rest of the brokers. It's loud and open-plan. We have a "work room" for "working on servers and other infrastructure" when I've only had to touch two servers in my 1.5ish years here.

If I'm still here after the move I'm just going to pick up my gear and move it into the workroom, alleging that I am always discussing passwords and security and need to be in there, so I might as well have a fully separate workstation in the workroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Not IT related, but still pissing me off.

I woke up this morning to my A/C blower clicking because the capacitor was dying. It had been fighting all weekend to keep the heat at bay, but couldn't cool my apartment to anything below 75 degrees of Saturday and Sunday. I called the emergency maintenance line when I heard the clicking, and when I got home a few minutes ago I find a note on my door that they'll be back tomorrow to fix it. In the meantime my apartment has hit 80 degrees and will likely keep climbing until the Sun goes down in a couple hours. Since it's 84 degrees outside opening my 2 windows will do nothing for me except get the apartment even hotter.

Lease is up in August and I'm getting the hell out of here - tired of my apartment turning into an icicle in winter and an oven in summer, AND costing me through the nose for electricity. I pay as much to cool my 694 sq ft apartment as my buddy does to cool his 3000 sq ft house. Of course, he actually has more than the bare minimum of insulation as required by code. Living on the second floor with no balcony and just one window in my living room and one in my bedroom sucks as far as air flow. A/C runs non-stop because most of my apartment faces south, so it gets a long-rear end Sun exposure, which further exacerbates the problem.