Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kung Fu Hustle is on Netflix now and it's still as amazing as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Most Wanted Man - one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last films - is on Netflix now and is very good, it's a very subdued political story directed by Anton Corbijn (the guy who did Joy Division's video for "Ceremony", REM's "Losing My Religion", Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box", and a lot of others, as well as the awesome movie Control about Ian Curtis)

Finally watched Devil a while ago and it's actually not bad at all. Certainly better than most of the films M. Night actually wrote and/or directed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Puss in Boots is pretty good for a kids' show.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Puss in Boots is pretty good for a kids' show.

Yeah, refreshing good for how mleh the Shrek series got after 2.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

Finally watched Devil a while ago and it's actually not bad at all. Certainly better than most of the films M. Night actually wrote and/or directed.

I would only advise watching this film if you really need to kill 90 something minutes, but you don't actually want to remember killing it. This film is a totally vapid timesink.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Kung Fu Hustle is on Netflix now and it's still as amazing as ever.

Hell yeah. Saw the last half of this years ago with no context, and didn't even realize it was something I'd seen until I started watching it now. This movie owns.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Loki_XLII posted:

Hell yeah. Saw the last half of this years ago with no context, and didn't even realize it was something I'd seen until I started watching it now. This movie owns.

It is wonderful. I've seen it 10+ times in showing it to friends. Loved it every time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you need even more convincing, Bill Murray considers it "the supreme achievement of the modern age in terms of comedy"

Bill Murray posted:

Unfortunately, the last time I watched it was right after Kung Fu Hustle, which is the supreme achievement of the modern age in terms of comedy...I was like, "Oh man, I just saw this thing," and "God, that's just staggering, just staggering. That movie is just AHHHHHH!" And when I saw that, I was like: That. Just. Happened. There should have been a day of mourning for American comedy the day that movie came out.

Also if you're a fan of Clover Studios/Platinum Games it was really influential for them, God Hand even has a move called the Shaolin Blast that's lifted entirely from the Buddhist Palm in KFH.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Netflix felt it was necessary to send me an email telling me that Underworld: Evolution is up. Okay, Netflix.

screamname
Apr 6, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Netflix felt it was necessary to send me an email telling me that Underworld: Evolution is up. Okay, Netflix.

They felt it appropriate to tell me some kids mermaid cartoon was on.

Netflix def gets me

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

underworld is the best movie series ever created

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Until The Raid and Dredd, Underworld and the Resident Evil movies were pretty much the only game in town for plot-light ultraviolent action movies. I will pretty much champion that series to the grave because of this. I even saw Awakening in theaters and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Until The Raid and Dredd, Underworld and the Resident Evil movies were pretty much the only game in town for plot-light ultraviolent action movies. I will pretty much champion that series to the grave because of this. I even saw Awakening in theaters and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Underworld is pretty great, but the violence never really felt that satisfying to me. Not like Dredd at least.

screamname posted:

They felt it appropriate to tell me some kids mermaid cartoon was on.

Netflix def gets me

I got the same rec.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

Underworld is pretty great, but the violence never really felt that satisfying to me. Not like Dredd at least.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong it's nowhere near Dredd in quality, but I can appreciate the series for being a pretty obvious stylistic ancestor of it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man, this is a good crop.

The Secret of Roan Inish is pretty wonderful, John Sayles directing an Irish fairy tale (well, selkie tale to be specific.)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Kung Fu Hustle is fantastic and you need to watch it if you haven't.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Conan the Barbarian was apparently re-added to Netflix.

If you've never seen it, now's your chance. It's fantastic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Didn't see that Hard to Be a God is coming to Netflix this week. Buzzard's also coming to Amazon Prime.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Conan is great. The score is tremendous, Arnold fights a dude who looks like Lemmy, and James Earl Jones plays the bad guy. It's a ridiculously masculine movie that's also a hell of a lot of fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Nightcrawler yesterday, and it was fantastic.

If you missed the few pages where everyone recommended it, here's another reminder.

It was a movie over two hours long, and it felt like it was maybe an hour.. I'm glad Jake Gyllenhaal is taking weird roles and nailing them again. Beautifully shot, great acting, great plot, etc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Conan is great. The score is tremendous, Arnold fights a dude who looks like Lemmy, and James Earl Jones plays the bad guy. It's a ridiculously masculine movie that's also a hell of a lot of fun.

It's also a completely unsubtle, tacit rejection of the hippie counterculture, which had at that time been thoroughly co-opted by the yuppies. It's exactly as wonderfully paranoid as a Stone/Milius film should be. Strangely enough, it's also a quite fitting double feature with El Topo or The Holy Mountain (preferably the latter).

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Conan has the most real-feeling fantasy world ever on film and all it is is greasy-haired people in rags and hides and poo poo. It's angsty and dysfunctional and astounding in every way.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You can definitely see the influence that film had on Zack Snyder's 300 as well. The deific, savage, glorious presentation of the Spartans in that film, I feel, is way more indebted to Conan than it is to Miller's graphic novel.

The cinematography is absolutely phenomenal. It's a ridiculously slowly paced film that tells its story with fairly little dialog, which is saying something considering how prominent and significant that makes the moments of narration feel. You pay attention to the movie because it spends so much time just looking at Schwarzenegger, where even his depiction as being crucified and in abjection is laced with this astonishment, terror, and awe at Conan's animalism, this thing that makes him both completely innocent but also totally diabolical. Milius's Conan is one of the really few films that portrays mythology but really 'gets' it.

It's an absolutely beautiful film, and you can definitely see where Milius leans heavily upon Kurosawa. The film owes a significant amount of its visual design from medieval Asian cultures, but Orientalized into this vague, pastiche where we're cognizant that these are probably just bits and pieces from many different cultures and belief systems, just as the ethnic European characters are portrayed as a mixtures of Vikings, Celts, Scandinavians, Greeks. The point is that this is what progresses Conan past mere mythopoeicism to a truly mythic story. When it comes down to brass tax, Milius, like his contemporary George Miller, leaves exposition to the essentials, and then treats the audience like someone who would already be familiar with the film's story as a contemporary reality, a recent myth. Because of this, you get a fantastic adventure where every detail is treated with absolute seriousness, even the more outlandish, psychosexual stuff.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Last time I tried watching it on netflix there were... issues. For some reason the screen showed Conan, but I got the audio from Blade runner or some other flick like that. It was a pretty surreal minute and a half before I figured out Wtf was up. I'll give Conan another try tonight.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

morestuff posted:

Didn't see that Hard to Be a God is coming to Netflix this week.

Hell yes, this movie is great if you want to spend three hours in mud and poo poo and blood and spit and rain and sweat (I do, it owns)

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Zesty Mordant posted:

Hell yes, this movie is great if you want to spend three hours in mud and poo poo and blood and spit and rain and sweat (I do, it owns)

Oh I am stoked for this. Looks fantastic!

screamname
Apr 6, 2015
Hmm when you're too scared to ask your lover if you watched nightcrawler with them....hmm I watched it for sure. I'm sure we watched it together.

I'm watching a ted talks about deep sea. The abyss!
It's good. Very interesting.

Recommend it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone was asking about the How to Train Your Dragon series, I can confirm it's just fine, looks as good as the movies and Jay Baruchel is still funny. Dragons remain cute. Watched a few episodes with my niece last night.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
Thanks for the suggestion of the James Randi documentary, it was awesome. Although it gets a bit too "personal" at the end in my opinion.
Are there any more sort of "psychic busting" shows or documentaries?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Great Escape is really good. Probably the best prison break movie I've ever seen. It holds up remarkably well.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The Great Escape is really good. Probably the best prison break movie I've ever seen. It holds up remarkably well.

While I think the mechanics of the escape were pretty accurate to real life, what I think works especially well about this movie is that its light-hearted approach to camp life actually matched the unique situation of these pilots — unlike the grinding despair and death of concentration camps or the interment of non-Germanic locals, there was something of a feeling of guards and captors being equal. Gentlemen watching gentlemen.

It's a rare moment where Hollywood's desire to whitewash the more difficult aspects of war give the movie an appropriate tone.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, it was an interesting dynamic. The guards knew they were going to try and escape, but didn't really hold it against them. They just viewed it as fellow soldiers doing their duty.

It also makes the movie a hell of a lot more lighthearted, so it's not some heavy depressing film that's going to bring you down Like a lot of other war movies wind up being.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 2, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chichevache posted:

Last time I tried watching it on netflix there were... issues. For some reason the screen showed Conan, but I got the audio from Blade runner or some other flick like that. It was a pretty surreal minute and a half before I figured out Wtf was up. I'll give Conan another try tonight.
"This is good - but what is best in life?"
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion ... c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser gate. All those… moments…"

Imagining watching El Topo side by side with Conan... That would be interesting. Or some epic kurosawa poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

space-man posted:

Thanks for the suggestion of the James Randi documentary, it was awesome. Although it gets a bit too "personal" at the end in my opinion.
Are there any more sort of "psychic busting" shows or documentaries?
I really appreciate them adding in all the the quote-unquote personal parts. As Randi is a somewhat controversial and public figure in certain circles, it's much better from a PR perspective to just confront the fact that hey, you kind of adopted a personal cabin-boy/apprentice, in case someone he's taken down over the years tries to attack or attempt to discredit him on some sort of moral ground. It was a bit uncomfortable as the realization dawns that oh yeah, this is just what it kind of seemed to be at first glance however, these are still two people who make each other happy, complement each other, and have already dealt with the obvious complications inherent in their age difference, public image, etc.

The part where he groomed the kid to go around the world as a farcical medium/etc was almost more problematic because the more personal later-life stuff was just like wow, that's certainly not a "normal" relationship as definied by societal norms.. And both of these people are so obviously 100% invested and aware of it, and the difficulties and repercussions around the life they chose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Imagining watching El Topo side by side with Conan... That would be interesting. Or some epic kurosawa poo poo.

I bet watching Begotten with the audio track for Conan would be interesting :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Blind Azathoth posted:

Fringe sounds like it'd be up your alley. Starts off pretty episodic, like X-Files, but becomes more serialized starting later in season one. I also strongly recommend The Returned, a French series that has one season up on Netflix, about a town where the dead begin mysteriously reappearing. Season 2 airs later this year.

update: fringe is a very poor choice of show to watch when you like to watch stuff while eating

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Avengers Grimm is seriously the poo poo. It's one of the most enthusiastically performed, best shot and edited Asylum movie I've ever seen. Some very meticulous care went into this, but because it's so cheap it's got this endearing 'community theater' vibe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flatluigi posted:

update: fringe is a very poor choice of show to watch when you like to watch stuff while eating

You should check out Bones next.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

computer parts posted:

You should check out Bones next.

I actually had to give up Bones with how often it did grossout corpses despite liking it in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Goin' on two posts, I really can't recommend Avengers Grimm enough. There was some really inspired craftsmanship going on here, both of the B-movie technical variety and of the narrative kind. This movie was cheap, but it was drat good.