Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Oh hey, a burst of posts in the Starbound thread, perhaps a goon mod got updated or someone sacrificed a goat and we got some actual updates on the game itself!

Oh, of course not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rest in peace magmarashi :pray:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why did you idiots make a new thread for a poo poo game no-one likes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think a goat isn't a big enough sacrifice.

We may have to go a bit more Aztec if we want results.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Orv posted:

Because, like the acreage thread in the mmo hmo, poo poo posting will never let this thread die.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There is no more perfect example of game design failure than Starbound being compared to Terraria, this is like literal should be in a textbook poo poo and is endlessly hilarious, hth

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Asimo posted:

There is no more perfect example of game design failure than Starbound being compared to Terraria, this is like literal should be in a textbook poo poo and is endlessly hilarious, hth

Starbound is extra painful because I want really desperately to like it more than I do. It should be exactly what it looks like on the tin: Terraria in Space. It has so much potential for cool poo poo like custom starships and sperg-master wiring systems for like electrical power and pressurized environments, but instead it's just less fun Terraria with less fun progression.

I think the only place Starbound really succeeds is as a sci-fi dollhouse building simulator, and even that falls short because everything is just decorative and the wiring just controls doors and lights. It doesn't break any new ground in this area compared to Terraria besides some futuretech aesthetics.

This post is making me want to play Terraria again, which is super convenient since a new massive content patch just came out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Terraria is: Go underground for a bit, find some cool poo poo in chests and mine if you want and the go smack those million of bosses that are all unique and interesting on the head.

Starbound is: Go underground forever, mine stuff for about 5 hours before you can fight your first boss with bow and arrow and then fdsalfköajsngaofösdf

gently caress starbound.

It's disappointing how this game turned out. There was so much promise. It finally came out after all of the pressure hype on the devs, and then everything went silent. What happened with the devs? Is there still progress being made on development?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's disappointing how this game turned out. There was so much promise. It finally came out after all of the pressure hype on the devs, and then everything went silent. What happened with the devs? Is there still progress being made on development?

they spent all the money on a bot that procedurally generates daily website updates

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I said come in! posted:

What happened with the devs? Is there still progress being made on development?

they made enough money to continue "working on the game" for another 9 years and by god thats what theyre going to do

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Why the gently caress did they want to make their combat ~dork souls~ instead of just looking at Risk of Rain? I mean that game was published by them. Make techs into abilities -> wham fun combat.

Instead we get to walk slower backwards woo

e: Des needs to list all the poo poo he modded in that they later incorporated

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So, with the new terreria update I decided to re-download both starbound and terreria and play them both yesterday to see what's new and make a comparison. First, I don't agree with the people who say that starbound and terreria are un comparable. Starbound takes most of its core game play and ideas, at least originally, from terreria. But I digress, I started with terreria because it was the original and I hadn't played it in the longest time. The early game is pretty much the same but with more things to find. The mid game was a little different, mostly just more monsters and different color zones. I didn't get to the end game but I amagin it's got more bosses. Starbounds early game is kinda lacking. There aren't many things to find, your stuck on one very boring planet for at least 30min at most an hour and a half, the cave dungeon feels Very forced and there is no easy way back to the surface when you get the core fragments. The mid game is better. It takes too long to get there. The moon base is cool and fun but The quests to get there are very dull and forced. You don't have as much choice of progression once your done with the moon either, the tech gating is dumb. You know what Starbounds problem is? There are too many gates. In terreria there are 3 gates, early exploration, boss progression and the corruption end game. Starbound has the first planet gate, first Solar system gate, a tech gate around every new solar system, quest gates, boss gates, feature gates with the crafting benches were as in terreria the benches just gave access to better armor and weapons mostly with a few progression things mixed in and mobility gates like the hub, the Teleporters and the grappling hook not being available until the mid game at least.

Edit: don't get me wrong, there are some very good things about Starbound. Except the slow backing up the combat is much nicer, the art is much better, and there are some really cool things you can find, there just locked behind at least 3 gates, the ship is cool, the dungeons for the most part are cool, I like the atmosphere, though it could be more spacey and less alternate earth, the races are cool and the lore is good. I have faith in starbound. Terreria wasn't that polished when it came out. They do creative tech and art assets better than most games I've seen they Just need time, which they've had a lot of to be fair, but they haven't failed or taken the money and run. Starbounds team is cool and good, albeit a little slow.

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 2, 2015

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I like Starbound because I can be a cute space budgie or a flesh-hungry plant :palmon:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

oddium posted:

rest in peace magmarashi :pray:

I am glad of it!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I believe in Starbound.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Party Alarm posted:

Why the gently caress did they want to make their combat ~dork souls~ instead of just looking at Risk of Rain? I mean that game was published by them. Make techs into abilities -> wham fun combat.

Instead we get to walk slower backwards woo

e: Des needs to list all the poo poo he modded in that they later incorporated

Risk of Rain is no longer published by Chucklefuck because the devs took one look at the total lack of any real effort at promoting or doing anything besides getting the game on steam and taking a sizeable chunk of cash for doing nothing and ejected from that relationship.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Orv posted:

actually it's just my fault, everyone else just posts in the thread for the most part

also the game is showing actual progress now for real. Updates are happening at a semi-steady rate and they're getting around to fixing stuff like terrible NPC AI. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like it's all that great right now despite these advancements but at this pace they might have something worth selling soon.

also lmao at the risk of rain thing, I didn't know about that. Good for those guys. I don't know if it's me but I haven't seen anything about any of the other games CFish is publishing. The only reason I remembered Pixel Piracy exists is because of the small cross-promotion it has with Terraria.

also lmaox2 at those shirts

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Risk of Rain is no longer published by Chucklefuck because the devs took one look at the total lack of any real effort at promoting or doing anything besides getting the game on steam and taking a sizeable chunk of cash for doing nothing and ejected from that relationship.

Where did you hear that? Still says Chucklefish is the publisher everywhere I look. Also I think the Chucklefish devs fixed a bunch of stuff for them and wrote their multiplayer code so that's hardly nothing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

risk of rain is cool

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Paul Blart 2:Mall Cop was probably more enjoyable than Starbound. The former surprised me with it's rather deep story and, while it wasn't all that funny, it was touching.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dandywalken posted:

I am glad of it!

please don't be mean to my friend magmarashi

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

actually it's just my fault, everyone else just posts in the thread for the most part

It's not your fault I'm faintly hoping the game eventually shapes up into something I approve of more. That's my own naive idiocy.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Orv posted:

at least it's a game that it exists, even if it's bad

idg why the star citizen thread is back in games

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

I believe in Starbound.

This is truly the most unironic and terrible post you have ever made. You should be ashamed.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

oddium posted:

please don't be mean to my friend magmarashi

Guys I can't even shitpost properly :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're out of practice

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
My kids still play Starbound with my mom online and cousins still login from various states to our private server, except for the stupid quests we have to power new characters through all the kids have an absolute blast playing the game.

Average play time is 750 hours and the server has 10,700 hours of total up-time.

Sure the game may never end up winning awards or making any major marks in the hall of fame of games, but I've got no complaints for the 15 bucks I paid per copy.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
lol if you enjoy things that the internet has decided suck.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Bitter Beard posted:

My kids still play Starbound with my mom online and cousins still login from various states to our private server, except for the stupid quests we have to power new characters through all the kids have an absolute blast playing the game.

Average play time is 750 hours and the server has 10,700 hours of total up-time.

Sure the game may never end up winning awards or making any major marks in the hall of fame of games, but I've got no complaints for the 15 bucks I paid per copy.

Have they tried Terraria?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
star bound : a game for ur mom

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Blhue posted:

lol if you enjoy things that the internet has decided suck.

Agreed.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Blhue posted:

lol if you enjoy things

ftfy

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So, with the new terreria update I decided to re-download both starbound and terreria and play them both yesterday to see what's new and make a comparison. First, I don't agree with the people who say that starbound and terreria are un comparable. Starbound takes most of its core game play and ideas, at least originally, from terreria. But I digress, I started with terreria because it was the original and I hadn't played it in the longest time. The early game is pretty much the same but with more things to find. The mid game was a little different, mostly just more monsters and different color zones. I didn't get to the end game but I amagin it's got more bosses. Starbounds early game is kinda lacking. There aren't many things to find, your stuck on one very boring planet for at least 30min at most an hour and a half, the cave dungeon feels Very forced and there is no easy way back to the surface when you get the core fragments. The mid game is better. It takes too long to get there. The moon base is cool and fun but The quests to get there are very dull and forced. You don't have as much choice of progression once your done with the moon either, the tech gating is dumb. You know what Starbounds problem is? There are too many gates. In terreria there are 3 gates, early exploration, boss progression and the corruption end game. Starbound has the first planet gate, first Solar system gate, a tech gate around every new solar system, quest gates, boss gates, feature gates with the crafting benches were as in terreria the benches just gave access to better armor and weapons mostly with a few progression things mixed in and mobility gates like the hub, the Teleporters and the grappling hook not being available until the mid game at least.

Edit: don't get me wrong, there are some very good things about Starbound. Except the slow backing up the combat is much nicer, the art is much better, and there are some really cool things you can find, there just locked behind at least 3 gates, the ship is cool, the dungeons for the most part are cool, I like the atmosphere, though it could be more spacey and less alternate earth, the races are cool and the lore is good. I have faith in starbound. Terreria wasn't that polished when it came out. They do creative tech and art assets better than most games I've seen they Just need time, which they've had a lot of to be fair, but they haven't failed or taken the money and run. Starbounds team is cool and good, albeit a little slow.

source your c/p's

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I haven't played Terraria since some forgotten point from before they added the goblin attacks. It just feels kind of tiresome to think about relearning basically everything.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This game refuses to launch. The stable launcher doesn't work from Steam, from windows explorer, with or without admin privileges. The x86 executable starts but not the x64. I've deleted starbound.config as well as the player and universe directories, which did nothing. The unstable launcher won't launch from Steam nor explorer. The unstable x86 executables start but the x64 executables won't. I've uninstalled and reinstalled starbound's stable version and verified both games' integrity in Steam. What the hell is wrong?

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 5, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Segmentation Fault posted:

This game refuses to launch. The stable launcher doesn't work from Steam, from windows explorer, with or without admin privileges. Both the x86 and x64 game executables start but immediately crash. I've deleted starbound.config as well as the player and universe directories, which did nothing. The unstable launcher won't launch from Steam nor explorer. The unstable x86 executables start but the x64 executables won't. I've uninstalled and reinstalled starbound's stable version and verified both games' integrity in Steam. What the hell is wrong?

I have never been able to play the normal version. It always crashes on startup. I have to manually launch the OpenGL version in order to play and, as far as I can remember, it's always been like that for me.

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\starbound_opengl.exe

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nalin posted:

I have never been able to play the normal version. It always crashes on startup. I have to manually launch the OpenGL version in order to play and, as far as I can remember, it's always been like that for me.

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\starbound_opengl.exe

I don't remember this being an issue in the past but I wouldn't be surprised at this point if it always was. Kind of disappointed they won't get their poo poo together.

EDIT: Fixed it by installing OpenSSL from here. This really ought to be part of the dependencies when the game's installed.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 5, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

All I want out of Starbound is to be able to do anything I can do in Diggers 2: Extractors, and also for all the races to be races from Diggers 2: Extractors, and also for ore to be as big as gems were in Diggers 2: Extractors.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Hey guiz, don't be mad about our vidya gayme srsly we're working really hard on it to make it gud swearsies

see, look, we ripped the teleporter gun from unreal tournament for you guiz plz liek our gayme plz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Magmarashi posted:

Oh hey, a burst of posts in the Starbound thread, perhaps a goon mod got updated or someone sacrificed a goat and we got some actual updates on the game itself!

Oh, of course not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

also lawl @ magmarashi confirmed forums babby git gud scrub

Kewpuh posted:

gently caress YOU. if you see someone post this bullshit in a thread, report them so that i may smash them. nobody gives a poo poo that you saw a certain amount of posts and were either surprised by their content or just outright deemed them not worth reading. people post about varying poo poo. sometimes threads don't stick to a specific topic because sidebar conversations can happen. this is natural. it doesn't last forever. nobody gives a poo poo about how many posts you saw.

• Locked thread