Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you are seriously mad about what happens in Aery then you are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you are seriously mad about what happens in Aery then you are dumb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just posting funny things from the internet that people wrote about ff14.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think it's OK if, every once in a while, an NPC gets to do a cool thing that suits them thematically and fits into their established story arc (especially if their existence would otherwise be pointless).

It isn't like there aren't a bunch of other points in HW where everybody is literally saying "Holy poo poo $playername is outrageously powerful and doing impossible things" after you kill some big crazy boss. Let Estinien have his moment.

And besides, his victory does not last and the WoL is going to have to take down Nidhogg themselves anyway.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's not like you go back to town and Estinien is quick to say "IT WAS ALL ME, THE WoL JUST WATCHED"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mazed posted:

(last scenario things which I haven't even finished because I'm bad at not mousing over spoilers)
Warriors of Darkness are an FF1/3 callback and are completely separate people from the Warriors of Light. They're essentially the 'heroes' for when forces of Light get too strong and throw things out of balance.

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, there's a couple of times throughout the story (I think it only starts happening in 2.5 and it seems like they're kind of slowly rotating through all of the classes so everyone can have a "hey remember that other thing you did" moment) where you get different dialog based on what classes you've completed-- Estinien mentions you being an Azure Dragoon if you've done the DRG quests, the THM and ACN guild leaders say something about you when you visit them, stuff like that.

It happens even in incidental meetings as well, even if it's just a 'Hey $playername, hows the $job stuff coming along?' As someone who max leveled everything to 50 before HW it's nice to have those little reminders. Makes NPC's seem more like people.
I really liked when you go to Y'mhitra for the main quest. I was like 'that name sounds familiar, wait she's by Apkallu falls? That's the SMN trainer! I remember her' and she's like 'I remember you too' and it was nice.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The only thing I'm mad about is why isn't there an Arcanist Tank Job yet.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rei_ posted:

The only thing I'm mad about is why isn't there an Arcanist Tank Job yet.
I have tanked Dusk Vigil and Sohm Al with Titan-egi, it's not bad.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Sorry if I missed it, but is it strongly recommended to work towards unlocking the Duty Roulette: High Level requirements?

I unlocked the ability to queue for all the hardmode dungeons individually, but I guess I have to complete all of them before I'm eligible for the Duty Roulette.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you haven't unlocked it now and you're still on your way to 60 then don't bother, but I would recommend you do it later so it's available for any other jobs you decide to level to 60.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Square wants people to buy Heavensward and if you think they really care what happens afterwards beyond making the game better so more people buy Heavensward you're delusional

This will shock you, but game designers actually do want people to use the content they created and "OH gently caress MUST MAX SALES" isn't their problem to worry about.

Gearhead posted:

It's not a matter of it being someone sitting down with a calculator and figuring out optimal XP per hour either. FATE XP in HW areas really is just bad. A fraction of a quest's worth of XP and noticeably more difficult to clear than ARR zone FATEs.

N Than is also really loving tiny compared to any HW zone so you get to FATEs quicker.

rock2much posted:

I was wondering how much time was supposed to have passed btwn that fight and the end of the MSQ because is Estinien just going to wear that bloody armor for ever?

Why wouldn't they? Dragoons basically exist to fight against Nidhogg and his horde so having your armor stained with Nidhogg's blood is some very "use the blood of my enemies as a warpaint trophy" thing. Even when if he'd have gotten the armor repaired/reforged the odds of him not wanting that blood infused in to the armor if at all possible is zero.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mazed posted:

Every single person in the raid's screen just cuts to

You know, doesn't Square-Enix own the rights to Drakengard? They could totally have some Drakengard themed vanity items in FF14 if they felt like it.

I, for one, would pay real life money for a Caim outfit. Or a Zero one. ...or Emil.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Highly doubt fates past 50 will ever be viable to run unless they start giving atleast 1\25th of a level like 49-50 did. Would also maybe consider if 59-60 fates would reward a 1\50th.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It honestly feel like even dungeons aren't worth doing for leveling alts, past the first roulettes of the day, and past getting away from tedium. THAT's kind of a problem.

Granted for me the "tedium" excuse is more than enough to get me away from N. Than or whatever and into, currently, Sohm Al, but that's still kind of lovely.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Obligatum VII posted:

You know, doesn't Square-Enix own the rights to Drakengard? They could totally have some Drakengard themed vanity items in FF14 if they felt like it.

I, for one, would pay real life money for a Caim outfit. Or a Zero one. ...or Emil.

We'd just get Tokyo Tower as a vanity hat.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thundarr posted:

I'm fine with this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thundarr posted:

With a tiny Nidhogg impaled on it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Want to know something amusing? The recent WoW content patch is their last content patch until the next expansion. The next expansion has not even been announced.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Also the previous and only other content patch had less content than one of FFXIV's mid-patch releases.

And yet, WoD still has more raid content (30 bosses with four difficulties each) than the entire ARR content cycle (12 turns of coil, 9 extreme primals).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Want to know something amusing? The recent WoW content patch is their last content patch until the next expansion. The next expansion has not even been announced.

They say that but they could easily add a ruby sanctum.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
"easily"

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I may have made a mistake... I resubbed forgetting about the expansion. I was nowhere near the end of the content from the base game.

Will I get penalized by not having the expansion? I'm trying to find what I would get and not get as a sub without the expansion and my Google skills are failing me tonight...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hemish posted:

I may have made a mistake... I resubbed forgetting about the expansion. I was nowhere near the end of the content from the base game.

Will I get penalized by not having the expansion? I'm trying to find what I would get and not get as a sub without the expansion and my Google skills are failing me tonight...

Having the expansion does almost nothing unless you've completed the main story through 2.55

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hemish posted:

The 3.0 patch notes actually specified what required Heavensward and what didn't.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/464263b3ce6026cdf98a49bf8f98c204c6199e5a

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hemish posted:

The quest wall loving sucks balls!

But the game is generally fun to play. The only thing you can do before you finish the quest wall is make a dragon person.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah I skimmed through the patch notes and I think there's a lot of fun to be had without having to get the expansion. I was subbed for only 2 months and I don't remember playing a lot. So much content must have been added to the base game too.

I'm on Excalibur so once the game is installed and I'm done getting ready, I'll look at the OP again to see how I could get back into the guild.

I looked at a lot of stuff but I didn't think the patch notes would categorize the content like that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Francis posted:

And yet, WoD still has more raid content (30 bosses with four difficulties each) than the entire ARR content cycle (12 turns of coil, 9 extreme primals).

Uh, okay, I thought CT was a raid, but I guess not!

Also, 19 lv50 dungeons to WoD's how many?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
These are all the patch related quests to unlock Heavensward.
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/7th_Astral_Era_Quests
They will either start in the Walking Sands by Horizon or at the Rising Stones in Mor Dhona. MSQ icons have a different icon above the quest giver so they stick out.

Can you really count the jumping puzzle of turn 3 as raiding content?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 3, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Francis posted:

To be fair, WoW is 9 years older then FFXIV.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair, WoW is 9 years older then FFXIV.

Only 6 years, didn't the Ifrit fights come from the initial release version?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Francis posted:

to be fair the lack of anything else is why I've put that game down for 14 several times now

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Obligatum VII posted:

In b4 Nier items.

edit: No points for me, I forgot they announced a new Nier game at E3, there's probably going to be a crossover event.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In b4 Nier items.

edit: No points for me, I forgot they announced a new Nier game at E3, there's probably going to be a crossover event.

More importantly, Deus Ex crossover please.

Like shades that retract with /visor
Robot arm gloves

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What the hell is a Nier, I'm at work and can't google very well but apparently not knowing what that is means I've lived under a rock or something???

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

What the hell is a Nier, I'm at work and can't google very well but apparently not knowing what that is means I've lived under a rock or something???

Nah, nobody really played it but it gathered a small cult following for doing some weird/interesting stuff.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ciaphas posted:

There's a very good LP of it in the archive. It's an interesting game story-wise, but definitely not terribly well known, so don't feel bad for not hearing about it.

What's interesting about the Nier sequel (?) announced at E3 is that it's the first time the insane mind that is Taro Yoko will be paired with a developer that is actually good at gameplay (Platinum Games), so it should be an interesting ride ahead of us.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna help save your job, do not google the chick in the blue negligee, or the name "Kaine" while you're at work.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Truga posted:

Uh, okay, I thought CT was a raid, but I guess not!

Also, 19 lv50 dungeons to WoD's how many?

I'm only counting content that was deemed too difficult to throw into the Duty Finder when it was first released. This discounts the level 50 story trials, the hard mode primals, the level 50 main story dungeons, and It's arbitrary, but it's an apples-to-oranges comparison anyway. If you compare every raid-sized encounter you get 124 for WoD to 50 or so for ARR.

6.2 added a lot of dungeon content, actually. They added a new mythic difficulty to the 8 existing WoD dungeons and scaled up at least 9 TBC/WotLK dungeons to level 100.

Minrad posted:

to be fair the lack of anything else is why I've put that game down for 14 several times now

Yeah, totally. I'd be happiest if the balance was somewhere in the middle though. Adding Savage mode to every 'turn' of Alexander should help with that but there needs to be either more of that kind of content or it should be in every patch. I'm sure the activity/completion statistics are abysmal though. Hopefully the easier normal mode gets more people involved in the content so they can justify a slightly larger focus on it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
yes wow is the bastion of new content

they recycled 17 existing dungeons in the latest patch, this is good wholesome content :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Doublestep posted:

yes wow is the bastion of new content

they recycled 17 existing dungeons in the latest patch, this is good wholesome content :yum:

I really like how the Hard mode dungeons in FFXIV are different from the original versions. Unlike WoW which just upped the HP of everything and changed the bosses mechanics. I mean Brayflox's Longstop hard, while sharing the same map as the easy mode, is completely different, with a new 'story', bosses and stuff. It's great.

• Locked thread