Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

People don't like Erica Henderson's art? :psyduck:

Well, I wouldn't want her on Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would - and not just because I like the Squirrel Girl art - but because I also experience profound schadenfreude from the impotent bitching about it that happens every time USG is brought up.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Uthor posted:

Yeah, people don't like things universally.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I don't not like it, but I will say that a lot of the time it looks like she gives characters buck teeth/big overbites, which is fine for Squirrel Girl, because, y'know, squirrel; but when I see it on Galactus or Koi Boi it irks me. Also what is Nancy's hair even supposed to be.

That said Squirrel Girl is still a very good book.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I just don't like the way the lips are drawn. Everyone looks like they're puckering up, regardless of what their mouth is doing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's certainly some of the ugliest, off-putting, seemingly low effort art I've seen in a book in a good long while an acquired taste. A shame really as the actual scripts seem to be rather fun whenever someone sticks up a page or two in the funny panels thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But, y'know, gently caress the DC house style, no idea why they'd demand all artists draw a certain way when superhero readers are so open-minded about other cartooning styles.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I actually hate both the art and the writing in Squirrel Girl, but I still love the book. It just fits, I guess it's like how having a raw egg in a cocktail sounds abysmal, but then you actually start sucking on your Ramos Fizz and it's pretty drat good. Or like how, taken individually, all the 3rd rate beef scrapings and scifi stabilizers, flavorizers and other additives in a fast food burger are stomach churning, but taken together they're pretty tasty.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That art is exactly the kind of art a Squirrel Girl comic should have. It's cartoony and weird and odd. It fits the character perfectly. I'm still not going to read it because I don't care for that character, but it looks like it's a perfect fit to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Yeah, people don't like things universally.

Good point. I mean, people actually seem to like Alex Ross making comics. :psyduck:

I'm making friends today!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Good point. I mean, people actually seem to like Alex Ross making comics. :psyduck:

That's a lie. People like Kingdom Come, Marvels and Ross painted covers. No-one actually likes his other comics. (And I own all of Justice)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Deadpool posted:

That art is exactly the kind of art a Squirrel Girl comic should have. It's cartoony and weird and odd. It fits the character perfectly. I'm still not going to read it because I don't care for that character, but it looks like it's a perfect fit to me.

You're just upset because she beat you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deadpool posted:

There's a tiny, horrible, horrible, part of me that wants to see what Squirrel Girl would look like using the exact same scripts, but art by Greg Land.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Skwirl posted:

There's a tiny, horrible, horrible, part of me that wants to see what Squirrel Girl would look like using the exact same scripts, but art by Greg Land.

Probably the most copyable artist in the world. Just photoshop over google images and paint over bodies. It would be funny and way too believable at the same time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

That's a lie. People like Kingdom Come, Marvels and Ross painted covers. No-one actually likes his other comics. (And I own all of Justice)

Justice isn't cool? I'm absolutely in love with that book.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Uthor posted:

For some reason...:coffeepal:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Post the whole issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Justice isn't cool? I'm absolutely in love with that book.

I actually don't know how it's regarded, and fair play if you like it, but it reeks of Ross digging out his old action figure collection and retelling the make-believe stories he did as a kid but VERY SERIOUS.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The weird thing is it's mostly SG herself who seems to be oddly drawn. Look at Cap, Spidey, Widow, etc. in that last page and they're all fine to me. It's just Squirrel Girl and friends who have bizarre googly eyes, lumpen noses, and pronounced lips. Or maybe that's the joke?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

So the reason Squirrel Girl's so recently popular is that she's basically written like she's got borderline personality disorder.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Pastry of the Year posted:

So the reason Squirrel Girl's so recently popular is that she's basically written like she's got borderline personality disorder.

Nah you know how Nu52 was jerking off everybody that thought comics needed to be super serious business? Squirrel Girl just jerks off the other end of the spectrum that believe comics are for dumb babies and should never be serious.

See she beats up all the serious characters isn't it funny! HAHAHAHAHA LAUGH AT THE DECADES OLD GAG OR YOU HATE FUN:argh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sweet Jesus, it's just a silly comic. Y'all need to calm it down a notch.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirDan3k posted:

Nah you know how Nu52 was jerking off everybody that thought comics needed to be super serious business? Squirrel Girl just jerks off the other end of the spectrum that believe comics are for dumb babies and should never be serious.

See she beats up all the serious characters isn't it funny! HAHAHAHAHA LAUGH AT THE DECADES OLD GAG OR YOU HATE FUN:argh:

I thought it was Marvel making a Fifth Column book to destroy diversity in comics.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SirDan3k posted:

Now I know this is crazy talk but maybe, just maybe, a comic can be silly and dumb without anyone ever suggesting that comics are dumb and should never be serious?

Ridiculous, I know. I mean, it's not like you just pulled a strawman out of your rear end, right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh no! Nextwave permanently ruined all marvel comics don't you know?

Also how dare somebody post silly comics in the Funny Panel thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, the current arc could easily be done in Thor and with a more serious tone, but changing very little of the actual content. (The story is that Ratatoskr, the squirrel that lives on Yggdrasil is using her magic to mess with everyone's minds and set them against one another so humanity destroys itself and lets nature take over. Hence why SG needs to team with Thor)

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Scaramouche posted:

The weird thing is it's mostly SG herself who seems to be oddly drawn. Look at Cap, Spidey, Widow, etc. in that last page and they're all fine to me. It's just Squirrel Girl and friends who have bizarre googly eyes, lumpen noses, and pronounced lips. Or maybe that's the joke?

(Marvel Super-Heroes vol. 2, #8 1991 according to wikipedia)

Goffer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The last thing a hobo sleeping in the park sees before his death.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Goffer posted:

(Marvel Super-Heroes vol. 2, #8 1991 according to wikipedia)

Well Ace Frehley was releasing albums at the time...

EDIT-poo poo Ace had the space mask it was Paul who had the star

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh no! Nextwave permanently ruined all marvel comics don't you know?

Also how dare somebody post silly comics in the Funny Panel thread.

don't compare Nextwave to Squirrel Girl.

The art and the writing are both pretty meh to me but I'm also totally not the target audience. I don't give a gently caress about Sonic comics or whatever the Marvel teen line is either.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh my god that is going to haunt my loving nightmares tonight. :gonk:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

It took a long time for me to figure out who Scott Free/Mr. Miracle was, but the preceding pages show Granny Goodness's training facility and plenty of dead people. Then I am introduced to the Martian Manhunter, who is both afraid of fire and loves Oreos. I think MM's love of Oreos is a great bit of characterization, and I smile every time it's brought up. JL8 has a cute page where J'onn J'onzz discovers them at Diana's birthday party.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I think some of the squirrel girl panels posted here are funny, but add me to the the "the art if bad" bandwagon. That hippo-dude panel looks like it was drawn by a 16 year old. Maybe people are into that look, but I don't get it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Thank you! I'm gonna eat my Oreos so I can grow up big and strong like the Martian Manhunter.

e: The formative years of J'onn J'onzz

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 3, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I thought it was Marvel making a Fifth Column book to destroy diversity in comics.

No that's just what it looked like on paper when it was launching after exposure to the "funny" panels turns out it's just the most cynical piss taking of comic books since Wanted.

And I love Nextwave.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
People who think the art in Squirrel Girl is bad don't understand art. It's fine to not like it, but thinking it's bad art is dumb.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

People who think the art in Squirrel Girl is bad don't understand art. It's fine to not like it, but thinking it's bad art is dumb.

vvvvv Above the toilet, for when you are using it. So you can stare into its eyes, and it can stare into yours.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 3, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I would proudly hang a 6' canvas of this on my wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I like the art in Squirrel Girl... :shobon: