Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wurzag posted:

The lizardmen died on the way back to their home planet

Being dead didn't stop Lord Kroak, so I am down with an army of undead lizardmen.

Haha, maybe that's the plan - they'll be the new Legion of the Damned, emerging at dire times to combat chaos. Looking forward to sweet models of dinosaurs covered in fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Being dead didn't stop Lord Kroak, so I am down with an army of undead lizardmen.

Haha, maybe that's the plan - they'll be the new Legion of the Damned, emerging at dire times to combat chaos. Looking forward to sweet models of dinosaurs covered in fire.

Better get some of "battle damage" Jurassic Park models.

Anyways I have decided that FW will release Warhammer 9th edition once the run out of heresy models.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
look you guys, why do you keep going on about balance in KoW. balance is SO BORING

quote:

So they make your list for you and it's all balanced. Just play checkers or chess. It's cheaper and balanced also.

quote:

Well then how can it be so balanced? We have free will now to pick units and people cry its unbalanced. This game can't be balanced. The player error, dice and list keep it different and uncertain for every game. That is what makes it fun.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

It's not too late. After a total flop with Sigmarr (we'll see how that pans out), GW could reverse course and release a proper 9th edition. It's just not looking very likely right now.

What I'd theoretically worry about if I still gave a poo poo is the very real possibility that if AoS fails, GW will just go "I guess the world is no longer interested in Fantasy miniatures, let's just focus on our smash hit Sci-Fi line" and axe it entirely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

What I'd theoretically worry about if I still gave a poo poo is the very real possibility that if AoS fails, GW will just go "I guess the world is no longer interested in Fantasy miniatures, let's just focus on our smash hit Sci-Fi line" and axe it entirely.

Absolutely. I think that's the most likely scenario right now. In a year from now, Fantasy may be completely dead.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Chill la Chill posted:

Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu- someone just sold a $35 bastiladon on eBay and I missed it. Everyone else is still asking for $50.

I just traded in some Magic cards that I haven't played with in years and traded the store credit for a bastiladon.

I'm making it with the laser.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Daedleh posted:

look you guys, why do you keep going on about balance in KoW. balance is SO BORING

Ah, the ever-present logical fallacy of "Balance=identical" and "perfect balance is impossible so why even try to balance at all?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu- someone just sold a $35 bastiladon on eBay and I missed it. Everyone else is still asking for $50.

Oh yeah I forgot about this post.

I have a saved search for "bastiladon" on eBay and I never saw a $35 one go bye. Was it misspelled or something?

I have the high bid right now on a $40 one (don't outbid me you fuckers) but I don't expect to win because there's still three days left.

e. If you're in europe this might be worth it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lizardmen-Bastiladon-Warhammer-Fantasy-NUOVO-/181765893192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item2a52176c48

the shipping makes it not worth it for a US bidder.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 2, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FrostyPox posted:

Ah, the ever-present logical fallacy of "Balance=identical" and "perfect balance is impossible so why even try to balance at all?"

It's pretty amusing how you could put Warhammer balance grog next to D&D balance grog and without mention of either game it would be impossible to tell which is which.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think this might be old news, but it's probably new here for those wanting analogous KoW army lists

quote:

The following lists are in progress, waiting for background to be approved and with working titles
4. The Shattered Clans (Humans) (Evil)
5. Empire of Dust (Mostly Skeletons) (Evil)
6. Reptilians (two different lizard-based races) (Good)
7. Name TBC - fluff still to be done (Humans) (Good)
8. SUPER SECRET
9. SUPER SECRET

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Daedleh posted:

these are the people i'm looking forward to killing on the first turn with the 12 warmachine list

"oh, you have more units than i do, i'm gonna do the 'kill that man' objective"

*rotates entire army of cannons and organ guns to point at target*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

these are the people i'm looking forward to killing on the first turn with the 12 warmachine list

"oh, you have more units than i do, i'm gonna do the 'kill that man' objective"

*rotates entire army of cannons and organ guns to point at target*

It's even easier than that.

"OK bro you have way more goblins than I have bloodthirsters. So I'm doing Endure. You just go ahead and take six turns in a row, I'll just sit here with my dudes in my deployment zone. Let me know when the game is over so I can declare victory."

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

"OK bro you have way more goblins than I have bloodthirsters. So I'm doing Endure. You just go ahead and take six turns in a row, I'll just sit here with my dudes in my deployment zone. Let me know when the game is over so I can declare victory."

i dont have any bloodthirsters but i happen to have a large amount of artillery :eng99:

edit: that loving endure one. is there any rule saying that you can't just play a regular game where you're outnumbered enough to pick hail marys, then say on the bottom of the 5th turn "IM CHOOSING ENDURE" when it becomes obvious your opponent can't table you?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think you have to pick sudden death objectives at the beginning of the game

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

that's not very sudden then, is it?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think the idea is that it's "sudden" cuz you achieve the objective then win no matter what, even if you were losing real bad before hand.

But it is still really loving dumb as poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, looking at the WARSCROLLS, is every goddamn model Multiwound? Because that's insane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's sudden death the same way sports games are sudden death: if you achieve the thing the game instantly ends with you as the victor.

Endure isn't very sudden though but remember this game is supposed to be smaller and skirmishier and last for more than 6 turns, at least sometimes.

Night10194 posted:

Also, looking at the WARSCROLLS, is every goddamn model Multiwound? Because that's insane.

Just the ones that come in the box set. I'm sure when we see the scrolls for all the old minis GW no longer wants us to care about, most of them will be one-wound.

Having dozens of multiwound models on the board in a skirmish game is still loving stupid.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Just the ones that come in the box set. I'm sure when we see the scrolls for all the old minis GW no longer wants us to care about, most of them will be one-wound.

Having dozens of multiwound models on the board in a skirmish game is still loving stupid.

does anyone even want to take bets that the armies in the box are going to be blatantly overpowered compared to current WFB armies to try and goad people into spending money on them?

if you're interested, just take your wager and mail it to me now, since you've already lost

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FrostyPox posted:

That's not what you should worry about.

What you should worry about is that AoS does okay and it becomes the model for Warhammer 40: Age of Emperor. :getin:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

That's not what you should worry about.

What you should worry about is that AoS does okay and it becomes the model for Warhammer 40: Age of Emperor. :getin:

I'd laugh anyway cuz I don't play 40K either. I'd laugh and laugh. And probably cry a little, too, not gonna lie.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

It's not too late. After a total flop with Sigmarr (we'll see how that pans out), GW could reverse course and release a proper 9th edition. It's just not looking very likely right now.
GW should have spent the year and a half of design time they used for AoS on producing a single Warhammer Armies book that contained army lists for the entire WFB range. Go back to their roots - a couple of pages of background for each army, and then the army selections. Hell, they could have charged $100 for the book and nobody would have given a drat. It would have revitalized the game and probably drawn new players in because it was one-stop shopping.

It could have been beautiful. :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't buy that GW spent a year and a half on AoS. In fact I'd be surprised if anything beyond initial sculpts was complete when GW was working through the End Times material. They just don't have that much staff to dedicate to game design.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All reports I've ever heard say that sculpts have a roughly two-year turnaround internally at GW, for whatever reason. Unless something has drastically changed, eighteen months sounds just about right to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Two years is ridiculous. I've seen numerous kickstarters go from drawings through greens to full production runs in under 12 months, and that's for tiny four-person shops that have to outsource everything.

Even if 18 months for models is the norm at GW, it's tough for me to imagine them planning this at the same time they were releasing models for End Times that won't be usable in Sigmar. Not because they wouldn't do that to customers (they totally would) but because those end times models represent a big monetary investment in molds that are now quite unlikely to pay for themselves.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Leperflesh posted:

So I assume this means my 12 Hellcannon gunline will be immune to Instant Death. I... might actually make that out of How to Train Your Dragon cannons and Mantic Chaos Dwarves.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Two years is ridiculous. I've seen numerous kickstarters go from drawings through greens to full production runs in under 12 months, and that's for tiny four-person shops that have to outsource everything.

Even if 18 months for models is the norm at GW, it's tough for me to imagine them planning this at the same time they were releasing models for End Times that won't be usable in Sigmar. Not because they wouldn't do that to customers (they totally would) but because those end times models represent a big monetary investment in molds that are now quite unlikely to pay for themselves.

yeah, i dont buy that this poo poo started before end times dropped. when did the new CEO take over?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Full White Duardin issue is out.

Also, holy loving poo poo are you kidding me? The Sigmarines are sporting loving monoposes in TYOOL 2015? Look at the frontmost ones on the cover and the assembly instructions for the free one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That GW gets a pass on, they're models from an introductory starter kit, the standard is make them easy to put together right out the box.

Leperflesh posted:

Unless they used a different mold medium. There are molds that don't last near as long but only cost a tenth of the price of the multi-part hard plastic kits.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 2, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

its pretty hilarious that they decided to cut the board into sixths, since i'm pretty sure that's what the $400 board GW sells is.

even the board layout reeks of "buy our overpriced poo poo or else this game is gonna be a huge hassle to play"

edit:

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also, holy loving poo poo are you kidding me? The Sigmarines are sporting loving monoposes in TYOOL 2015? Look at the frontmost ones on the cover and the assembly instructions for the free one.
yeah, all of the starter sets are like this. i wouldn't be surprised if they're snap together so you can theoretically clip em off the sprue and start playing

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Anactos Skyhelm, lord of the Skyhost

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm reading this setting background.

Sigmar is a thunder god. He reigns in Azyrheim. His army is composed of immortal, ever-regenerating warriors drawn from the ranks of dead mortal champions. There are nine worlds, and you travel between them using bridges of light.

I'm Icelandic, I am generally tired of people haphazardly and lazily ripping off my cultural heritage for their games, and Warhammer has just jumped a loving shark right over my head while flipping me a twin-tailed bird.

e: like gently caress this game I am straight up offended by this poo poo. This just crossed a line I didn't know I had. I know Norse myth isn't exactly sacred in game circles but jesus loving christ.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bloodsecrator Threx Skullbrand

GW go home you're drunk.

EDIT:

"Khogoraths live only to gorge upon skulls and fresh blood." :laffo:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Anactos Skyhelm, lord of the Skyhost

the Great Drake Dracothion

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
found a video that pretty accurately shows what GW's business plan is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So I'm reading this setting background.

Sigmar is a thunder god. He reigns in Azyrheim. His army is composed of immortal, ever-regenerating warriors drawn from the ranks of dead mortal champions. There are nine worlds, and you travel between them using bridges of light.

I'm Icelandic, I am generally tired of people haphazardly and lazily ripping off my cultural heritage for their games, and Warhammer has just jumped a loving shark right over my head while flipping me a twin-tailed bird.

e: like gently caress this game I am straight up offended by this poo poo. This just crossed a line I didn't know I had. I know Norse myth isn't exactly sacred in game circles but jesus loving christ.

I understand, but you're aware Warhammer has been haphazardly ripping off cultural heritages for its entire existence, right? From the not-English Albion to the not-German Empire to the not-Egyptian Tomb Kings and the not-... well OK, outright Japanese Nippon, practically everything in the old Warhammer world was a case of a thin veneer stretched over poorly-researched historical cultures and peoples.

Lots of folks rip off or just outright use the old norse pantheon, probably on the assumption that nobody still worships them in earnest so it shouldn't be offensive.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
The many names of AoS units and races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The goblins are called grots now.

Age of Sigmor is Warhammer 40k confirmed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rulebook Heavily posted:

As other pointed out, it's a starter set. Also, it's not like GW is the only one putting out monopose models: Warmachine, anvil 8, on the lamb, X-wing, etc so on.

EDIT: Speaking of which, On the Lamb has a sale running http://on-the-lamb.com/shopping/
Endless Fantasy Tactics if fun and you should play it. Also, I promise they won't sigmar the setting!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

"shooting attacks can be made in the shooting phase and melee attacks can be used in the melee phase"

so not only can you shoot in melee, you're encouraged to

edit: it also looks like you can shoot units you're not even in combat with, then go right back to fighting? what the gently caress?

• Locked thread