Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
That guy is such a creeper. Jesus he sent shivers up my spine.

e:

I hope he gets clocked in the face at some point.

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hope we aren't meant to approve of Oda.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Fangz posted:

I hope we aren't meant to approve of Oda.

I hope that too. Snap out of it Takeo! She's your friend and he's clearly creeping her out. You can't be that blind.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
takeo's blindness to subtext will finally be defeated at the end of episode 14, at which point he will punch oda into the stratosphere, and he will never be seen again

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
This was my least favorite part of what I read of the manga purely because of Hayato.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh my god, I'm reading through the manga and I just burst out laughing uncontrollably when I got to the page in Vol 3 where he describes the emotions he needs to use emoticons for. That may be my new favorite page-turn-reveal gag.

E: Spoilered because it looks like the anime is ahead of me but I haven't been reading the thread and wouldn't want to mess it up for anybody even if it is a small joke

surc fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This was my least favorite part of what I read of the manga purely because of Hayato.

is it because he's kind of a hayatoada

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ETB posted:

Oda looks way too much like Suna.

Also, I love the blurring in next episode's preview.

It's almost uncanny how much they resemble each other. I thought they were related when he first showed up. I don't quite hate Oda though. He seems to mean well and just a bit more rough compared to the pure characters in the main cast.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Kinda hoping Takeo makes Oda a better person but if he blows him away with a single punch that will be fine too.

ETB posted:

Oda looks way too much like Suna.

Besides being in love with Takeo I got the impression that's why Suna's sister has absolutely 0 interest in him.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 2, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Oda seems like a good guy underneath the whole kinda stalky/manipulative thing (read: typical shoujo love interest). I mean his bedtime chat with Takeo was really emotional and sympathetic.

e: the episode really delivered visually again. i especially loved Oda's usa flag hair.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Must be awkward as poo poo to be Sunakawa in the second half of this episode.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Celebrating Suna's birthday was the sweetest thing.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

paragon1 posted:

It's weird that he's not doing anything. He clearly knows what's up.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Oda is a jerk but I still like him, mostly because of the shenanigans he brings about.

paragon1 posted:

He is most probably immune to situations like this after spending so much time with Takeo and Yamato.

sunburnedcrow fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 2, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why is he dressed like Marty McFly?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

because puffy vests are cool

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Why is he dressed like Marty McFly?

He's from the future.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dork thinks he's gonna drown.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Extra padding when Takeo launches him into the sky.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Happy Birthday to Suna and myself, Sept. 13th Birthday Bros :toot:.

Also, I don't mind Oda at all. He's not exactly exhibiting normal friendly behavior by showing up unannounced, but it's a far cry from being a stalker in my opinion, and his heart's mostly in the right place. I will grant that he's the most impure character we've seen so far in that he wants Suna's sister to get closure so he can stand even a small chance of being with her, so there is some selfishness there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 2, 2015

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Eh, Oda's certainly not a great guy, as we see from his college experience. But I'd hardly call him a weird creepy raper guy. I guess the bar has been set so high already for awesome characters that he is a bit disappointingly "that shoujo guy."

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I didn't mind Oda because when he first showed up I thought he was going to creepily hit on Yamato so what he ended up doing wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Starsnostars posted:

I didn't mind Oda because when he first showed up I thought he was going to creepily hit on Yamato so what he ended up doing wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

"Oda: Not as bad as groper from first episode."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It'll be funny when Oda never appears again after the next episode

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

alcharagia posted:

It'll be funny when Oda never appears again after the next episode

Oh, I'm sure we'll all have to get used to a little lingering Oda.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oda/ai would be fine with me. better than him conveniently disappearing or showing up again as ai's stalker.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ai deserves better.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
She is crushing on a 14 year old. At least the other guy likes women his age.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

She is crushing on a 14 year old. At least the other guy likes women his age.

To be fair, he looks much older. :v:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I thought they were in the last year of secondary school, so 17/18?

For some reason I have a soft spot for Ai. The flashbacks to when she helped Takeo out when they were kids were really cute.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I think they're first years, so 15/16. Ai is just a first year college student though right? So she'd be 18/19? Not the creepiest difference ever, she's probably been crushing on him for years.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

alcharagia posted:

Celebrating Suna's birthday was the sweetest thing.

It came across as depressing to me... Like the only thing that makes Suna happy is to live vicariously.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Oda's a good addition to the series as I wanted for Ai to get an actual closure to her Takeo crush and move on. I like his determination in pursuing Ai as well. Nothing creepy about that since Ai isn't that bothered by it (or she would cut the bullshit easily due to her character) and considers him a good guy. Ai seems to be a type to give in under honest persistence so it's only a matter of time for her and Oda to become a couple.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 3, 2015

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

MrCinos posted:

Oda's a good addition to the series as I wanted for Ai to get an actual closure to her Takeo crush and move on. I like his determination in pursuing Ai as well. Nothing creepy about that since Ai isn't that bothered by it (or she would cut the bullshit easily due to her character) and considers him a good guy. Ai seems to be a type to give in under honest persistence so it's only a matter of time for her and Oda to become a couple.

That would piss me off because it plays into this whole thing of "No means maybe! I'm a nice guy so surely everybody wants to get with me! They just need to spend more time with me against their will!" Oda's not being kind. He's clearly doing it for selfish reasons (even if the other characters don't know it) and has a terrible personality. I hope that even if Ai gets closure she still shuts him down.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Oda, much like everyone on this show that has had more than 3 lines of dialogue, seems super sincere in why he does what he does and wants to help the lady he likes even if she doesn't like him and that's pretty alright and fits in with the rest of the gang.

I hope he shows up more in the future, regardless of his relationship with Sister Suna.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope he shows up more in the future, regardless of his relationship with Sister Suna.

If he is like :neckbeard: "Oh my god look at Takeo and Yamato they're so CUTE!" :neckbeard: like the rest of us then he'll be okay.

Otherwise he should be nowhere near the group.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Macdoo posted:

That would piss me off because it plays into this whole thing of "No means maybe! I'm a nice guy so surely everybody wants to get with me! They just need to spend more time with me against their will!" Oda's not being kind. He's clearly doing it for selfish reasons (even if the other characters don't know it) and has a terrible personality. I hope that even if Ai gets closure she still shuts him down.

I think you are being rather reductive here. It's pretty clear that he both wants Ai to get over her crush on Takeo lest it become something that eats away at her and hobbles her social life and that he also wants her to to get over it so he has a chance at romancing her, just like most people he has both selfless and selfish desires, that is just part of being human. I also think he is right that it would be healthy for Ai to get those feelings out in the open so there are no lingering doubts, better to regret what you know could not be than to both regret what could not be and regret that you could not be open and honest with the person who is so important to you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think you are being rather reductive here. It's pretty clear that he both wants Ai to get over her crush on Takeo lest it become something that eats away at her and hobbles her social life and that he also wants her to to get over it so he has a chance at romancing her, just like most people he has both selfless and selfish desires, that is just part of being human. I also think he is right that it would be healthy for Ai to get those feelings out in the open so there are no lingering doubts, better to regret what you know could not be than to both regret what could not be and regret that you could not be open and honest with the person who is so important to you.

I just find it very off the way he is insinuating himself into her life and the lives of her family and friends on the basis, apparently, of her having helped him one time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the hypnosis story is enough evidence that Ai and Oda know each other beyond her helping him. it doesn't excuse his lack of respect for boundaries, but he's not doing this to a stranger. the selfless aspects to his motivation also have me seeing him more as a first-time offender rather than an active manipulator. i really don't think this show will take a dark turn, even if it's just a subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the hypnosis story is enough evidence that Ai and Oda know each other beyond her helping him. it doesn't excuse his lack of respect for boundaries, but he's not doing this to a stranger. the selfless aspects to his motivation also have me seeing him more as a first-time offender rather than an active manipulator. i really don't think this show will take a dark turn, even if it's just a subplot.

The darkest turn the show will take is Yamato cooking a food Takeo doesn't actually like

• Locked thread