Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

don't start fresh on expert

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dareon posted:

There's also a mystic dropper sold by the Wizard that can be filled with water, lava, or honey (Via crafting with a pool by a crystal ball). I haven't played with it, so I don't know precisely, but it's possible that could either dupe fluids, or suck up mass quantities of fluids to be placed elsewhere.

It, er, appears to be furniture. But I don't have the slightest idea where I'm allowed to place it.

Oh, now I see. You put it in a tile, and it does that little dropper cosmetic thing they added.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I don't remember how I got it, but the Nimbus Rod is stupidly good for farming if you set up a vertical area to farm. Like, crazy good. I remember making a platform above a crimson cavern drop and just shooting nimbus clouds above me, maybe to the left and right; everything died as it approached since the clouds are like turrets that shoot straight down for insane damage. That's how I got my crimson key regs for my vamp knives which have so far trivialized expert mode, though I haven't done hard mode bosses yet.

Vamp knives are SO good since they get melee weapon bonuses and act like a shotgun that shoots super fast and they heal you because they're dumb.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
After playing a lot with Expert mode, I'm going to make a new world in non-expert. I really like the overall difficulty of surviving in the world, but the bosses just do too much damage. It sucks that I gotta give up on it just because of that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Expert Mode is starting to become some bullshit even on my hardmode character (Frost Armor, Cutlass, Golden Shower and Megashark). I got randomly one-shot in a marble biome by (I think) a Medusa petrifying me in mid-jump so I shattered on landing. Which might happen even on normal mode. And Skeletron is going to take some doing.

Also, does anyone know where Terraria puts the snapshots it takes? I took one of my base (At least, I put a frame around it and clicked the button) and none of the logical places have it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

are there any enemies that are unique to expert mode?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kly posted:

are there any enemies that are unique to expert mode?

As far as I can tell, expert mode is just normal mode except all the mobs have double health and damage, plus a single new item per boss and chance for dev sets in hardmode.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

is that autohotkey script from the OP supposed to still work?

The script requires you to have a 4-5 button mouse. The activation key is one of the side buttons. I didn't realize this myself until yesterday. :blush:

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

As far as I can tell, expert mode is just normal mode except all the mobs have double health and damage, plus a single new item per boss and chance for dev sets in hardmode.

The bosses have new attack patterns (example: eye of cthulhu spazzes out and flies in tight zig zags at you, doing this more often as his health dwindles. also more eye babies, far FAR more loving eye babies), there are new enemy variants (I think?) like zombies that will be holding one of its arms to attack which increases its range, meaning you can't really fight them with your starting gear/copper-iron and below melee weapons. I haven't played a non-expert map yet, so I don't know for sure if there are actually new variants/patterns for regular enemies.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

A word of caution: even if you can remove dungeon bricks you shouldn't demolish the dungeon entrance. I did that on one of my earlier worlds because I wanted blue brick and there's no cultists there, even though I killed the Golem on that world.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there anyway to force a server to only allow Hardcore characters? Or at the very least only allow characters who are new? Its weird having a server where people can join with all teh best stuff to from the get-go...

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Is there anyway to force a server to only allow Hardcore characters? Or at the very least only allow characters who are new? Its weird having a server where people can join with all teh best stuff to from the get-go...

With Tshock you can force server side character. Still you'll need to wait until it is released for 1.3.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Knifegrab posted:

Being a hardcore character wouldn't prevent them from doing that...

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Terraria 1.3.0.3: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-0-3-changes.21980/

You can now quickly move items between your chest and the inventory by using leftshift.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

benzine posted:

Terraria 1.3.0.3: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-0-3-changes.21980/

You can now quickly move items between your chest and the inventory by using leftshift.

thank christ

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

benzine posted:

This comes AFTER I trashed a bunch of items in a chest when I was playing with friends last night.

My mind was still in Minecraft mode. :negative:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So is expert mode more designed for someone who has gone through non-expert and done non-expert hard-mode? I mean how many people have actually successfully progressed through expert without hitting a bunch of brick walls.

benzine posted:

I could have sworn that already existed in some form before now.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Note: For people who want a million minibosses during events, put a water candle down. It's insane.

dis astranagant posted:

Better drop rates I hope...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

God drat invasions are insane. It's largely because I still have early-ish hardmode gear and because I got my goblin army invasion after I'd entered hardmode, but it's still ridiculous how many times I died to the stupid goblin summoner and the pirates. Plus having to kill the pirate ship. Thank god it got stuck on a building and I could bring righteous Hel-Fire yoyo fury upon it. :black101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xenaero posted:

Note: For people who want a million minibosses during events, put a water candle down. It's insane.

On gold, maybe. Haven't really noticed on other drops.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xenaero posted:

As far as I've seen from my (three Eyes, a Brain, and a Bee) experience, their loot bag will always drop their Expert Mode item along with their standard loot (And maybe more money? I don't remember getting multiple gold out of the Queen Bee before).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dareon posted:

As far as I've seen from my (three Eyes, a Brain, and a Bee) experience, their loot bag will always drop their Expert Mode item along with their standard loot (And maybe more money? I don't remember getting multiple gold out of the Queen Bee before).

The wiki says that expert always drops lootbags and also have better drop rates, usually double.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

A good house, for a prick.

Also did this update wipe the worlds? That's disappointing if it did, because that means we lost this world my friends and I made years ago:

Oh no these look really good. :ohdear: I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Holy poo poo a good yoyo with the yoyo bag is almost OP enough to make me feel bad about using it. :stare:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

If we're still talking about houses, here's my humble abode that served me from 1.1 through 1.2.4.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

Same. Hell, I make it worse on myself by getting all sorts of materials for building and never doing anything with them. At least 1.3 added a whole lot of furniture and poo poo that would work great for my most ambitious and pretty much only good idea, now I just need to pin down what I actually want to do with the thing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no these look really good. :ohdear: I hate that I have no creativity in this game since it gives you so much freedom to fool around and make great poo poo in it but damned if I can't come up with anything awesome to live in.

Mostly when I build I'm inspired by the color or detail of the blocks themselves. Like, I picked up granite, looked at that nice black/purple color with blue highlights and thought "This would make a totally bitching flying skull with hanging chains and gemspark eyes!"

Then I built just that. Obviously there is sort of a jump from "black/blue stone" to "totally metal skull fortress", but try coming at it from another direction: What have you seen built in this color? How would you feel in a building of this material, and how could you pick decor to enhance that?

Hell, if all else fails, just make balls everywhere.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I feel you on that one. I usually just make a lovely tower and turn each room into a museum of items and bricks while the filthy NPC scum live deep underground.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So is expert mode more designed for someone who has gone through non-expert and done non-expert hard-mode? I mean how many people have actually successfully progressed through expert without hitting a bunch of brick walls.
I've played through hard mode when Plantera used to be the most recent content and I've been doing OK solo in Expert. The only real brick wall so far is Skeletron, and he's optional with a basically pointless Expert drop anyway.

I admit the Eye gave me some problems but I just went away and found some more life crystals, defense-boosting accessories, and actually used ironskin potions and then made it just fine.

That being said I'm going to gen a Corruption Expert world so I can get me one of them work scarves.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I feel you on that one. I usually just make a lovely tower and turn each room into a museum of items and bricks while the filthy NPC scum live deep underground.

just lol if you don't abuse the npc housing mechanics to cram all of those idiots into a tiny floating prison

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Is there any way to increase your number of accessories? There are so many now I can't decide on which ones I want. If I take any of my jumping ones off, suddenly my mobility is crippled beyond any use but at the same time the mobility ones take up half the slots unless you're lucky enough to find the right stuff to combine them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nuebot posted:

Is there any way to increase your number of accessories? There are so many now I can't decide on which ones I want. If I take any of my jumping ones off, suddenly my mobility is crippled beyond any use but at the same time the mobility ones take up half the slots unless you're lucky enough to find the right stuff to combine them.

Kill Expert Wall of Flesh.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah he drops an item that you consume to gain an accessory slot, highly recommended

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

benzine posted:

holy gently caress finally

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kenny Logins posted:

Here's my basic bitch home base which happens to work well for invasions (except the Slime King, technically).

similar to what i have, but I think I'll have to think of a way to deal with all the poo poo that flies through walls in goblin invasions now (and the summoners who fly away when you actually get hits on them).

Unrelated but I never played with dye before, but now the ability to dye your grapples and pets rules

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm really not having fun with the new boss grind: I killed the expert standard and mechanical bosses fine, but expert plantera and fishron, not to mention normal lunatic cultist are absolutely kicking my rear end- it feels like everything kills me in a few hits, and I don't think I'm intended to gravity potion my way through every single boss. :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah he drops an item that you consume to gain an accessory slot, highly recommended

How many of these can you use? Just one?

Also the slime mount method to kill dungeon guardians works fine if you have time for it. I leapt into a corner and five of them got stuck right on the slime. It's taking a good long time but slowly and surely they're dying without getting a single hit on me.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Dareon posted:

Also, does anyone know where Terraria puts the snapshots it takes? I took one of my base (At least, I put a frame around it and clicked the button) and none of the logical places have it.

I had this same problem at first when testing out the camera mode.

I found the screenshots in the Documents/My Games/Terraria section on the desktop. Though that's something they could use: an option on the menu to determine where you want the game to save your screenshots. Unless there is one and I missed it somewhere.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

got my first set of dev items today. pretty neat how they don't insta-gib you anymore :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, I have a really good way to kill Expert Eye of Cthulu:

Step 1: Get the Slime Mount from the King Slime
Step 2: Set it up so that the Eye will get under you, and mount your slime
Step 3: Stand still and goomba stomp the eye.
Step 4(Optional): Panic when you reach the top of the world and fall all the way back down, use grappling hook at the end and then use your Boomstick to defeat the Eye.