Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Coaaab posted:

Curious to see if customs will ever be played at national level again after this tournament.

Spoiler alert: Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Evo is the exception to Smash. They let the newest DLC characters play at CEO this past weekend, but Mr. Wizard (Evo founder) is a cheapskate and doesn't want the (admittedly lovely) manpower to unlock customs for 200+ WiiU's and buy DLC for each one. I would not be surprised if Apex next year has Customs on.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

There needs to be at least one national tournament with customs and the DLC characters before we write them off.

Also they're good and should stay.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
TL;DR version: Customs are a LOT of work to get up and running, and generally all it results in is campy Villager and cyclone Kong taking over the brackets. There's more to it than that obviously, and if anyone wants me to make a big effort post about it I will.

Source: I'm the TO for the largest Smash 4 weekly scene in New England.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they should just allow custom moves for palutena and no one else, in my biased opinion

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
And Ganondorf

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
customs are fun to play with but are clearly not balanced whatsoever

source: anybody with a wind move

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's a shame because some customs are straight upgrades to stock moves (Heavy Skull Bash) but the only way to use them is to open Pandora's box. I like a few customs but I try to practice without them so nothing becomes a crutch.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Windboxes are really cool

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
edit: whoops

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Windboxes are really cool

personally, I think they blow

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

personally, I think they blow

I think we can all agree that windboxes do not suck.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xad posted:

I think we can all agree that windboxes do not suck.

Wow look at this Ganondorf utilt erasure. Mods?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Ganondorf's utilt is sakurai's best work

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Wow look at this Ganondorf utilt erasure. Mods?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Reiley posted:

It's a shame because some customs are straight upgrades to stock moves (Heavy Skull Bash) but the only way to use them is to open Pandora's box. I like a few customs but I try to practice without them so nothing becomes a crutch.

In addition to custom villager being super, super lame, do we really need a luigi with quick missile and iceballs?

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 3, 2015

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Bill Trinen is in the Evo pools.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
He needs to try and get money from somewhere after being fired from Nintendo

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I am really enjoying getting into this game. Ganondorf is probably my favorite character but he gets zoned out hard. I just wanna hit people with Warlock Punch all the time. Is there any way to set this up more consistently?

I also like Link and Pit. I hope these are good characters to be learning! Ganondorf definitely needs some kinda buff to his grab range though. It's gotta be the worst in the game right now.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up
Warlock Punch is slow and powerful so that you can't consistently get it off. You'll eventually get a feel for when it's appropriate. Remember you can B reverse it too. It can be surprising, and is much more powerful than the standard. As for his grab, use it when people hit your shield. You can grab immediately out of it. It's not safe to run up and fish for grabs with him, but that's why he has a command grab with his Side B.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You can safely follow Ganon's side B with his down tilt.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Junpei Hyde posted:

and it's the worst feeling to be on the receiving end. powerless.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Junpei Hyde posted:

Actually this is dependent which character you're facing. For instance Falcon's wake-up attack beats Ganon's down tilt. I think a lot of characters' wake-up attacks beat it actually.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Wait what

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I am really enjoying getting into this game. Ganondorf is probably my favorite character but he gets zoned out hard. I just wanna hit people with Warlock Punch all the time. Is there any way to set this up more consistently?

I also like Link and Pit. I hope these are good characters to be learning! Ganondorf definitely needs some kinda buff to his grab range though. It's gotta be the worst in the game right now.

You can only hit with Warlock Punch if you're playing doubles and a teammate grabs for you or an opponent essentially allows you.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's not a guaranteed hit but I've had pretty decent results following with a down smash too. It's pretty satisfying to catch someone trying to roll behind you with the second kick.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

tanner will beat him in grand finals

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rewatch the video announcing the NWC '15.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Try out the Wizard Dropkick custom sometime if you can. There are no real setups for Warlock Punch, but it has some super armor now, so you can actually do it if you read your opponent really hard.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Actually this is dependent which character you're facing. For instance Falcon's wake-up attack beats Ganon's down tilt. I think a lot of characters' wake-up attacks beat it actually.

This is true. It is character-dependent as well as wakeup-dependent (like Greninja gets hit if he rolls away but doesn't if he rolls toward).
Someone on Smashboards put together a big list of every character's (non-teched) wake up options vs. Ganondorf's side-B followups: http://i.imgur.com/9LhItgJ.png
For the most part, you can just look at the "Getup attack" > "D-tilt" column for the characters you usually fight to see if it's safe to throw out Dtilt against them and the rest you can just learn as you go.

Notable omissions: Dsmash works on all of Olimar's options. Downward slopes make some follow-ups work that otherwise wouldn't, like Dsmash works on ROB on downward slopes.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Reksi posted:

Try out the Wizard Dropkick custom sometime if you can. There are no real setups for Warlock Punch, but it has some super armor now, so you can actually do it if you read your opponent really hard.

This is true. It is character-dependent as well as wakeup-dependent (like Greninja gets hit if he rolls away but doesn't if he rolls toward).
Someone on Smashboards put together a big list of every character's (non-teched) wake up options vs. Ganondorf's side-B followups: http://i.imgur.com/9LhItgJ.png
For the most part, you can just look at the "Getup attack" > "D-tilt" column for the characters you usually fight to see if it's safe to throw out Dtilt against them and the rest you can just learn as you go.

Notable omissions: Dsmash works on all of Olimar's options. Downward slopes make some follow-ups work that otherwise wouldn't, like Dsmash works on ROB on downward slopes.

Your talking Ganondorf avatar makes me imagine these posts being made by The Dorf himself and makes me read them in his voice in my head.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Mmm play with 3 ppl+ who don't care and you'll get them in. We had matches last night full of Rest snipes and falcon punches all the way thru :D

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I want to learn Bowser as a pocket character........ does anyone have any hot tips on playing the Big Man himself?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Reiley posted:

I want to learn Bowser as a pocket character........ does anyone have any hot tips on playing the Big Man himself?

Nearly every attack where he utilizes his shell doesn't have a hurtbox where the hitboxes would be, so generally if you're competing for priority then those attacks should be your go-to moves. If your opponent is dodge rolling a lot, use your standard air because it has multiple attacking frames; your down smash can also do the job as well but it has a painfully long recovery. However, you can use the down smash when your opponent is recovering from a ledge and it will almost always hit them. Unless your opponent is an idiot, don't use your down special in the air because it's very predictable; using it while you're on the ground is very sudden and has an additional attack right at the beginning, so it's fantastic as a killmove. As for edge guarding, your standard B is a great way to gimp your enemies but will often just get you some free easy damage or stunlock your opponent for your teammate if you're playing doubles. Never attack Bowser Jr. because that's child abuse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like using Bowser's up-b to punish, often out of shield, because it comes out really fast and lasts a while.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

if you use the yellow color, he looks like he's super saiyan.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Bowser has a hard time because he has a lot of lag time on the end of his moves- even the second part of his jab chain and his f-tilt are punishable on roll/dodge with very little effort from the opponent, so conservation of action is at a premium on Bowser. You gotta resist the urge to press a button unless you know it's gonna do something for you- cover space from incoming attacks, punish a bad roll or spot dodge, catch an opponent in shield, or otherwise give you some kind of advantage.

A lot of your damage is going to come defensively. Up-tilt is a great option against jump-happy opponents because it hits a large area in front, above, and behind Bowser and often leaves the opponent at risk for a follow up, while an air dodge will usually still leave an opponent open for a side B or jab combo. Also useful is Out of Shield up B, which will suck an opponent in for some pretty good damage. N.air also covers a ton of space and is one of Bowser's fastest moves, making it a good choice to catch people who like to spam rolls or air dodges and often leaves your opponent in a position where you can easily threaten a follow up (n.air rarely leads to true combos.).

Your main goal with Bowser offensively is to teach opponents that evasive defense is bad (a lie- it's good against Bowser, he's really bad at catching rolls and spot dodges without good prediction, even with n.air and up-B and whiffing with Bowser often leads to pain) by getting some good reads and landing some punishes, and get them blocking instead (which is bad against a grounded Bowser, who does a lot of shield stun and shield damage and his side B ignores shields) and then just stomp your way up to them and go to work with jabs, d.tilts, f.tilts, and side B's, trying to read and catch dodges and rolls with either n.air or up-B. Depending on the matchup, your Fire breath could either be a useful tool for controlling space in front of Bowser against linear characters (Little Mac's a good example here, another is Mega Man) while in other matchups it has the potential to be a massive liability (characters with great aerial mobility like Shiek, Ness, and Jigglypuff tend to fall into this category.) Remember that you don't need Smashes to get kills- f.B kills at 100%ish, and d.tilt kills most clean off the side of the stage at around 120% and kills characters with poor recovery considerably earlier then that due to the low angle it launches at. Yes, an awesome read can lead you to taking a stock off of someone at 70% with an F.smash but never count on actually landing one of those.

Realize characters with good projectile games is going to be an exercise in patience. Even mediocre projectile games like ROB and Lucario is going to involve a lot of walk -> block -> walk to get to the point where you can threaten the opponent, and someone who can legitimately put out real pressure at a distance like Link, Duck Hunt, or Bowser Jr. is going to be hard times. Dashing is tempting (and Bowser's dash is really fast, especially compared to his walk) but unless you're at a range where you can dash-attack through a projectile and land a hit, the delay on shielding while dashing is too much to try and run at someone from half-stage. Try to avoid jumping too much as an approach, because you're a big vulnerable target that has difficulty putting hitboxes out quickly, meaning a lot of the cast can kinda poke at an airborne Bowser for free.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My favorite Bowser tech is to side-b someone at the very start of a match and sail over the edge before the clock could tick off the tens place. A little advanced play technique for you.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

If your opponent likes to shield a lot, down-B can completely break a full shield on a clean hit, and thanks to how crazy powerful Bowser's f-smash is, it almost always means a free stock. You may need to walk your opponent closer to the ledge at low percents, but shield break stun lasts so long that you have plenty of time for a few steps and a fully charged smash.

Just be sure to use it judiciously. Pressuring a shielding opponent with both jabs and then changing it up with jab -> down-B can be very effective, but if you aren't close enough then the down-B won't be a clean hit.

And don't be afraid to use down-B near the ledge! Space it right and you'll snap to the ledge, and it can make recovering to the stage really difficult for a lot of the cast. Be careful not to overshoot the ledge though!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
bowser's down b doesn't quite fully break the shield, it does like 40 damage to it though so if they press the button for any amount of time other than what they need they will take fallout damage (if they are tall) or it will break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Also, here are a few matchup notes:

I haven't tested it very much, but up-B on the ground can cleanly beat some of Sonic's spin dash moves. If you're playing a Sonic that uses those a lot, punishing them a couple of times will give you a lot more breathing room.

If you're up against a Fox that likes to use side-B to get to the ledge, you can get to the ledge first and put out your down-tilt. The timing is pretty generous, so Fox will zip directly into Bowser's fists. It'll probably kill him too.

Lots of Link players like to throw out the gale boomerang before following up with bombs or arrows, and if it's an arrow he's packing you can hop the boomerang and breathe fire. It'll wipe the arrow and earn you a whole bunch of free damage, and it might even put him off the ledge if he's camping on the far side of the stage. That puts you in a good position to down-B to the ledge for extra pressure.

• Locked thread