Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think he lame as gently caress. Sorry bro

Nice try, Nigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Best thing about Batman is that he DOES NOT KILL.

Except when he's flying down the street in his tank and smashes into a criminal at 200mph hour, said criminal is also electrocuted upon contact with the tank.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Alteisen posted:

Except when he's flying down the street in his tank and smashes into a criminal at 200mph hour, said criminal is also electrocuted upon contact with the tank.

He's totally fine, the batvision says so.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I found the Riddler!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I recently managed to find a copy of the original Conkers Bad Fur Day and i was pretty excited to play it! I loved playing the multiplayer on the Xbox re-release but i was always a little bummed that what we had wasen't exactly the same (a lot of the swearing was censored, some areas where removed/made less annoying to deal with) and while i can appreciate the humor more now i feel as though the Xbox version got the gameplay better, the camera is a mess and it's not always obvoius what you're meant to do. The answer is usually do the same thing 3 times and wear the joke we're telling thin.

All of that aside, i can see why people fondly remember the multiplayer, not all of the modes are particularly balanced but drat if isn't fun to beat your friend about the head with a baseball bat and then steal a big bag of money. Or to eat somebody as a Raptor. Or even to try and make a death run up a beach.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Fortunately, all those random street criminals are now covered under insurance, thanks to Obama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

Some militia in Arkham Knight randomly burst out "Hey guys, we did it! We're trending! #CityOfFear, everyone share your photos!"

I overheard a guy say that he was getting tired of rioting.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Chard posted:

I've been playing Ground Zeroes again to finish up before Phantom Pain comes out, and the lethal-headshot sound effect(s) are absolutely devastating. It's like this multipart bone crunch that makes me a little ill even though I know it's just pixelmans. Just another reason to harmlessly CQC people into restful slumber :downs:

I must have a glitch on my save or something because every time I grab enemies their neck gets ventilated.

That is something I liked about GZ. If you knock out a soldier on it and take your sweat time on the mission he is eventually going to wake up and call it in. Before GZ the series had a bit of an issue with non-lethal having too little downside. But with an open environment without loading screens stopping guards from waking there is now a good reason to go for the kill instead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sad lions posted:

I must have a glitch on my save or something because every time I grab enemies their neck gets ventilated.

That is something I liked about GZ. If you knock out a soldier on it and take your sweat time on the mission he is eventually going to wake up and call it in. Before GZ the series had a bit of an issue with non-lethal having too little downside. But with an open environment without loading screens stopping guards from waking there is now a good reason to go for the kill instead.

I got maybe five minutes into the first mission before I switched from stealthy avoidance to knocking out every guard and throwing them off a cliff, into the ocean.

Some of them landed on a rock at the bottom of the cliff instead, but good enough.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I really like the long red steak your tire will make if you crush a dude's head with it in the PS2 GTA's.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Oh christ the cheat for GTA3 that had limbs popping off left, right and centre.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

You're thinking of Batgirl.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
A few pages back:

CJacobs posted:

Absolution is a good game but it's way far and apart different in style, narrative, and even gameplay than the other Hitman games. The levels for example are a lot more linear and focus on traveling through the level to get to an end goal instead of letting you freely roam around the level and set things up to your liking. It's not worse or better for that, just different. I liked it and I do think it's worth a playthrough if you can find it cheap. Blood Money is probably the "best" Hitman game though.

The levels are more than just linear, they're literally choreographed. It's obvious if you attempt a "perfect" run (never spotted, no collateral damage, no disguises, fiber wire only, conceal all corpses): almost every level can be done in an incredibly elegant, uninterrupted sequence with a perfect score. I'm not criticizing, I love that. No, I haven't played any other Hitman games

Another thing I love is how relentlessly the entire game shits on Lenny. Not just the other characters, but the game itself too. Like how when you finally meet him, he's coded as a civilian instead of a guard, so if poo poo goes down at the barber shop, he cringes and cowers, utterly defenseless, while literally everyone else draws a gun and shoots at you

Also, did you ever read the shooting gallery scoreboard at the gun store? guess who has the worst score? guess who got "limp balls" written next to his name? :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

muscles like this? posted:

I think my favorite so far was a militia guy telling another that Batman was a secret CIA operative hired by the government to get away with stuff GCPD can't. He ended it with "I'll send you some stuff I've been reading online." :lol:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

hackbunny posted:

No, I haven't played any other Hitman games

Get your rear end to Blood Money this instant.

8.99 right now

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah there's some good ones. A guy who can only do one riot but can't stay out too late because it's his turn to watch the kids in the morning, or another guy who hipster bitches that riots stop being fun after all the assholes join in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nothing in Arkham Knight is going to top the thugs (and the Joker!) ripping on Lost in Arkham City.

I did like the guy saying he preferred the look of Batman's old car, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

hackbunny posted:

Another thing I love is how relentlessly the entire game shits on Lenny. Not just the other characters, but the game itself too. Like how when you finally meet him, he's coded as a civilian instead of a guard, so if poo poo goes down at the barber shop, he cringes and cowers, utterly defenseless, while literally everyone else draws a gun and shoots at you

Also, did you ever read the shooting gallery scoreboard at the gun store? guess who has the worst score? guess who got "limp balls" written next to his name? :v:

He's one of the few NPCs in videogames where even if you spare his life, he still somehow manages to die.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Oh yeah, there was also a guy who said he was at the Asylum, City and Blackgate but never once saw Batman somehow. I was torn on letting him go or breaking his record (and bones).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

hackbunny posted:

A few pages back:

The levels are more than just linear, they're literally choreographed. It's obvious if you attempt a "perfect" run (never spotted, no collateral damage, no disguises, fiber wire only, conceal all corpses): almost every level can be done in an incredibly elegant, uninterrupted sequence with a perfect score. I'm not criticizing, I love that. No, I haven't played any other Hitman games

Pretty much every Hitman game has one "correct" route through each level that gets you a Silent Assassin rating (no alerts, no casualties except the targets, only allowed to fire one bullet for each target) and most of the gameplay is built around replaying the same level over and over to piece together what combination of disguises and setpieces will get you that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every Hitman game has one "correct" route through each level that gets you a Silent Assassin rating (no alerts, no casualties except the targets, only allowed to fire one bullet for each target) and most of the gameplay is built around replaying the same level over and over to piece together what combination of disguises and setpieces will get you that.

No, the good Hitman games expressly avoid this 'one route' thing, instead giving you a sandbox where you can pretty much do your thing, with varying levels of success. Blood Money has some levels where there are many ways to do Silent Assassin runs, depending on how you want to do it. For example, off the top of my head, in the Opera level you can shoot the guy with the rifle at the same time as the gunshot, switch the guns, kill him in his changing room, or take the spot of the shooting actor, and I'm sure there are a couple more ways to do it, too.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Or just setting up elaborate scenarios for amusement. I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the suburb level that dressed up as a clown and stealth killed every single person in the level before dragging them to the garbage truck and crushing their bodies.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Everyone should play Blood Money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9m1ZibsO50

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Preem Palver posted:

Or just setting up elaborate scenarios for amusement. I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the suburb level that dressed up as a clown and stealth killed every single person in the level before dragging them to the garbage truck and crushing their bodies.
"We said make it look like an accident, not make it look like a freak accident!"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like the excuse people made to defend Absolution that the first two Hitman games were linear too, and yeah they were and that's why they sucked and Contracts and Blood Money were huge improvements.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The King of Chinatown in Absolution is probably the most open-ended mission in the series, with a achievement for completing the mission in something like 9 different ways. The level design is all over the place throughout the series, with some really lovely, linear and combat-heavy maps, and some open-ended cool ones. What most of the Hitman games do badly is higher difficulties imo, where adding more enemies basically just locks you out of nearly all but one approach if you want to do stealth, making the games much more linear if you raise the difficulty. Absolution has some cool levels, but if you go beyond Normal difficulty the added enemies locks you out of most stealthy approaches.

My one favourite little thing about Absolution is the level editor, which is simple & intuitive to use, basically being a free-roam of any level, where you play however you want and the game records up to three eliminations, what disguises you've worn and which weapons or items you killed the targets with. People playing your map then try to recreate what you did, or do it more effectively, like non-lethally, or without wearing a disguise and still not getting seen.

My second little favourite thing about Absolution is the insight into the gamer psyche you get if you go online and and check out the most popular user-made levels, which always take place in the strip club level and have you run in and kill the big boob strippers with a fireman's axe.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think I've posted this before, but I always liked the Meat King level. I never even tried to get silent assassin on it, I just murdered everyone. It serves them right for celebrating someone getting away with killing a kid.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

smnsuperstar posted:

Back on the original playstation there was a game called "Test drive: Offroad", my brother and I used to love it.

Anyway, You could choose your off road cars and the Jeep was next to the Hummer, if you switched between them real quick it would say the name of the cars as you switch. So for a good five minutes as we mucked around, it'd say, "Jeep Hummer, Je Je Je Jeep Hummer". And then for the next fifteen years, I always thought there was a car called the Jeep hummer.

Additionally on one track in the game you could break through the fence and just free roam.. Good times.

Holy crap man I used to do this with the pc demo. Hummerrrrr... JEEP WRANGHUMMERRR. I don't remember much from that time or the game but I remember this complete with the free roaming part :3:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Absolution's story mode is kinda bleh, but the Contracts mode makes it well worth it. If they'd just flipped the prominence of the two modes it'd be Blood Money 2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It is a shame that the Contracts mode in Absolution was so limited in recognizing what you used. Detonated a remote explosive OR shot a hole into a fuel canister? They both will just count as explosive. Revolver A or pistol B? The game doesn't differentiate between them. So you can't do a contract where you need to take down a high profile target with an unique weapon before you can get to your real target. I imagine that's something they changed in the upcoming game though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly it'd be best if there was some way to procedurally generate Contracts missions in the new game instead of just using the single-player levels. Some of them are good for it in Absolution but a fair few kinda aren't.

Pretty much give me Warframe but with realistic-ish, open buildings instead of dungeons, Hitman gameplay, and no direct multiplayer.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The only proper way to play Blood Money.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah there's some good ones. A guy who can only do one riot but can't stay out too late because it's his turn to watch the kids in the morning, or another guy who hipster bitches that riots stop being fun after all the assholes join in.

"Maybe it's a metaphor, you know, like... the fear toxin was in our hearts all along?"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Conker had the best loving horn in Diddy Kong Racing. :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And here is the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRC5ab5tLUY

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think I've posted this before, but I always liked the Meat King level. I never even tried to get silent assassin on it, I just murdered everyone. It serves them right for celebrating someone getting away with killing a kid.

There's one level in Absolution, I forget which, where on my first try I did a "kill everyone" run with a lead pipe. Then the level ends, and right at the start of the cutscene, 47 stretches his tired arm (just a coincidence of course) and I just about died laughing

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

AFewBricksShy posted:

That level was rad as hell just because they managed to get a crowd engine running on a PS2 in 2004.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sleeveless posted:

That level was rad as hell just because they managed to get a crowd engine running on a PS2 in 2004.

The Mardi Gras level always impressed the hell out me because of this. Just...hundreds of people! And you can gun them all down! Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Morpheus posted:

The Mardi Gras level always impressed the hell out me because of this. Just...hundreds of people! And you can gun them all down! Crazy.

The reason they were able to pull this off was by making the large crowds have only basic AI functions, they could move around and such but would not react to anything, you could fire a gun infront of the crowds and nobody would react any differently, the other NPC's around the stage however would react, as they weren't part of the crowds.