Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I noticed that the batmobile has two Bat Carseats for criminals.

So can I throw the Penguin in the Bat Trunk and then do Two-Face's thing and also put him in the Bat-Trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I noticed that the batmobile has two Bat Carseats for criminals.

So can I throw the Penguin in the Bat Trunk and then do Two-Face's thing and also put him in the Bat-Trunk?

No, the game kind of locks you into returning them as far as I've seen. I tried to do that and it wouldn't let me.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I know Deathstroke is a well-developed character and Arkham Knight was only created for this game, but when he gets replaced, it really feels like a Landfill situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

What are the different endings? I did everything except the AR challenges, and I got
1. Batman comes out to the world
2. Batman dies
3. Some Batman replacement returns, also Gordon is mayor

Is it just the first one is the first ending, the second one is the Knightfall minus riddles, and the third one is the 100% one or should I watch something on youtube?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

No, the game kind of locks you into returning them as far as I've seen. I tried to do that and it wouldn't let me.

Goddammit they missed a huge opportunity for easter egg conversations.

Think of Pyg and Two-Face in the same car.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't have minded Two-Face if it didn't feel so... rushed. Like you get it and can do all three quests as soon as you get it and there's very little buildup or escalation. Even taking down Two-Face doesn't feel as significant as it did in City and he was an absolute sideshow there. It feels like they could have at least included something to make him stand out more.

You can fling him up an escalator, isn't that enough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mastajake posted:

I know Deathstroke is a well-developed character and Arkham Knight was only created for this game, but when he gets replaced, it really feels like a Landfill situation.

What are the different endings? I did everything except the AR challenges, and I got
2. Batman dies

Is it just the first one is the first ending, the second one is the Knightfall minus riddles, and the third one is the 100% one or should I watch something on youtube?

The first is what happens no matter what

The second is what happens if you complete most of the sidequests

The third is what happens after the credits when you get 100%

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mastajake posted:

2. Batman dies

Haha, this is pretty much exactly how I felt about the new batmobile.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't have minded Two-Face if it didn't feel so... rushed. Like you get it and can do all three quests as soon as you get it and there's very little buildup or escalation. Even taking down Two-Face doesn't feel as significant as it did in City and he was an absolute sideshow there. It feels like they could have at least included something to make him stand out more.

I kinda felt like that too. As if the later side missions were all just squeezed in at the later stages of development meaning they had to be over quicker. I mean it would have been cool if each bad guy or their own in depth storyline to work through (like 5 or 6 unique location/actions and a boss fight), but i suppose that would have taken longer to do than they had.

I guess the other thing, tangential to this is that while the city looked really cool and detailed and huge, it didn't feel like there were a lot of little internal places to go into compared to the other games. You've got the set landmarks, sure but i could swear i ended up spending half my time internally when playing City/Origins and Asylum. That's something that could have been remedied with a lot more locations to visit for each of the bad guys.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Beef Chief posted:

You are like the one person who does not like that Deathstroke boss.

It's an interactive cutscene and it loving sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What makes it an interactive cutscene and not the rest of Batman combat?

You have multiple options, can dodge over him, use gadgets, have to counter his attacks, can use various moves on him, and in general he plays exactly like the combat anywhere else in the game. The only 'interactive cutscene' thing for him is the oddly-timed counter and that is reused to some degree with the martial artist enemies in combat later.

Like did you know you can get him to skip a number of his attacks by abusing batclaw and stun to keep him off balance? You might not even see some of the odder counter moves if you do so because you can keep him stunned and on the defensive by swapping other gadget in. Or you can go at him hand-to-hand and focus on countering his attacks instead which changes up his attack pattern. If you're good you can never break your combo string throughout the fight.

"It's an interactive cutscene" is such a hollow complaint because there are multiple ways to complete the fight and multiple tactics viable against him. If that's an interactive cutscene then I don't know what qualifies as 'actual combat' in the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 2, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No, the Joker Titan boss fight from Asylum is an interactive cutscene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That fight also sucked, what's your point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's it's not an interactive cutscene? Are you loving braindead or something?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Beef Chief posted:

Ruh roh, the anime forum janitor is getting upset over his children's toys.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm always upset.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beef Chief posted:

What I meant was, yes you are correct that the Joker fight at the end of Arkham Asylum had an incredibly easy and boring pattern. But that hasn't got anything to do with the Deathstroke fight by itself. You gave an example of a fight that is basically an interactive cutscene but didn't in any way relate it to the Deathstroke fight other than "it isn't this thing". I said "what's you point" because you literally didn't provide one in your single-sentence post.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 2, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My point the Deathstroke fight being an interactive cutscene is that there's no challenge to keeping your combo string going. You can press the same sequence of buttons and win the fight every time. The regular fights in these games are different because the enemy variety necessitates that you switch it up or, at the very least, you're going to lose your combo. It reminded me of a next gen version of that Jack Krauser QTE fight from Resi 4.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Funky Valentine posted:

Goddammit they missed a huge opportunity for easter egg conversations.

Think of Pyg and Two-Face in the same car.

Go hang out in GCPD near their cage, they talk back and forth to each other and this is definitely one of the conversations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs posted:

What I meant was, yes you are correct that the Joker fight at the end of Arkham Asylum had an incredibly easy and boring pattern. But that hasn't got anything to do with the Deathstroke fight. You gave an example of a fight that is basically an interactive cutscene but didn't in any way relate it to the Deathstroke fight. I said "what's you point" because you literally didn't provide one in your single-sentence post.

It actually does, because if the standard for an interactive cutscene is a boss that involves severe amounts of player input, then what the gently caress is that boss supposed to be? Knuc already said it's an interactive cutscene and I gave a different fight in response to what is already one and those fights are distinctly different. So my question is what are you asking of me? Because I already said why I thought the fight didn't suck earlier, I am not about to reiterate why I thought so. You no doubt read the post and then proceeded to not promptly respond to any of it, which is fine, I'm just curious as to what you're even really trying to ask at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My point the Deathstroke fight being an interactive cutscene is that there's no challenge to keeping your combo string going. You can press the same sequence of buttons and win the fight every time.

Considering how many people complain about it and how few videos online I can find with an unbroken combo string, I'm pretty sure this isn't true. You can win the fight but not do it with an unbroken combo easily. It works pretty similarly to the rest of the combat fights in that losing a combo string is more meaningful than losing a fight.

Likewise, "you can press the same sequence of buttons and win a fight" doesn't make it an interactive cutscene unless a lot of boss fights are interactive cutscenes. Many boss fights rely on basic patterns and once you've got them down you're basically repeating a sequence of inputs. The Deathstroke fight has multiple options you can use during the fight and multiple ways to go about it. That alone makes it more than an interactive cutscene.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You lose your combo string in between the phases where Deathstroke throws the chaff grenade, don't you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You lose your combo string in between the phases where Deathstroke throws the chaff grenade, don't you?

Yeah, I mean outside of that. You can't do a flawless fight on him AFAIK which is unfortunate. You can absolutely break his attack pattern though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My point the Deathstroke fight being an interactive cutscene is that there's no challenge to keeping your combo string going. You can press the same sequence of buttons and win the fight every time. The regular fights in these games are different because the enemy variety necessitates that you switch it up or, at the very least, you're going to lose your combo. It reminded me of a next gen version of that Jack Krauser QTE fight from Resi 4.

That's fair, but I don't really see it that way. Deathstroke does go through the same motions, but you can't quantify any other boss as not having that. Rocksteady bosses and most video game bosses, by and large, have patterns that you follow and can do the same stuff to beat them all of the time. Being able to break Deathstroke's pattern and slam his face into the ground in a faster-paced fight is more than you can do with most of the bosses in this series and makes him refreshing and different.

EDIT: gently caress, ImpAtom said pretty much everything I wanted to.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I didn't like the Deathstroke fight but it's hard for me to specifically define why. All of the things I don't like about it are things that I've been fine with in other boss fights or are things I understand to be basic facts of video game bosses. Like, my top complaint about the fight is how repetitive it feels (especially if you keep getting close to walls and you have to watch that loving readjusting animation over and over again) but I can fully acknowledge that Firefly is an equally repetitive boss fight and I loved the Firefly boss fight. And boss fights are usually repetitive anyway. Maybe it just bugs me that Deathstroke apparently can't dodge the Batclaw at all but common street thugs can.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CuwiKhons posted:

I didn't like the Deathstroke fight but it's hard for me to specifically define why. All of the things I don't like about it are things that I've been fine with in other boss fights or are things I understand to be basic facts of video game bosses. Like, my top complaint about the fight is how repetitive it feels (especially if you keep getting close to walls and you have to watch that loving readjusting animation over and over again) but I can fully acknowledge that Firefly is an equally repetitive boss fight and I loved the Firefly boss fight. And boss fights are usually repetitive anyway. Maybe it just bugs me that Deathstroke apparently can't dodge the Batclaw at all but common street thugs can.

Fun fact- because the game has trouble adjusting in time, you can immediately hit him at the end of each of those edge of arena animations. The same is true for a lot of other animations, although the sound bugs out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 3, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
This whole game movie is an interactive cutscene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the only issue I ever had with Deathstroke's fight is the camera feeling really tight sometimes.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
So I'm not an expert in guns or anything, but did I see Jason Todd shove two pistols together to make a rifle in that sniper scene?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bizarre Echo posted:

So I'm not an expert in guns or anything, but did I see Jason Todd shove two pistols together to make a rifle in that sniper scene?

yeah its pretty dumb. not as dumb as the over engineered way batman's cowl clamps onto his head like loving joey from friends in the lost in space movie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, his guns are silly.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Are you guys talking about the Deathstroke fight in Origins? I haven't played it. Because I didn't have a fight against him in Knight; just the tank batle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the one in Origins is a one on one fistfight.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

mastajake posted:

Are you guys talking about the Deathstroke fight in Origins? I haven't played it. Because I didn't have a fight against him in Knight; just the tank batle.

For all the poo poo I give Origins, the boss fights were an overall improvement, even if they didn't have a Mr. Freeze fight equivalent.

Deathstroke was a pretty good looking fight.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I built a new PC the week that this came out, and I got a copy with my gfx card. I had already started on PS4, and with the performance issues, I never touched the PC version until today. It seems to be running without any issues yet, but I'm really stoked to see the dynamic smoke effects. I suddenly feel like I need to do burnouts constantly, because I'm Batman.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Important question: what characters in this game don't get captured at some point? So far I've got Alfred and Cash. Arrests count as capturing for this survey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

Important question: what characters in this game don't get captured at some point? So far I've got Alfred and Cash. Arrests count as capturing for this survey.

You may have the entire list there.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I really missed the Batcave in this game. I bet it's going to be included in some DLC.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Technically, the secretary in Wayne Towers.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I guess there's the regular cops but they barely count as characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chaos rhames posted:

The Joker, aka the best character. Technically he can't get captured due to the limitations of being in hell and all but hey you didn't specify a no ghost clause.

• Locked thread