Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Going head to head with TF2 was always going to be tough sledding, but they didn't do themselves any favors by going full retard on catering to the competitive TFC community, which at that point consisted of like 3 people.

They really did. They had a FAQ on their site and one of the questions was something like "Will you be doing something to stop all the insane rocket-jumping that completely unbalanced TFC and turned it into a completely different game?" and the answer was "No. We're going to put in more!!"

There was a Red Dawn style game 5 or 6 years ago and the developers were bragging about how they hired all these political experts to give them a really compelling story that rationally sets up a situation where North Korea pulls off a land invasion of the United States." Then later they revealed the story and it was just garbage. Which no one would have really cared about if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

They really did. They had a FAQ on their site and one of the questions was something like "Will you be doing something to stop all the insane rocket-jumping that completely unbalanced TFC and turned it into a completely different game?" and the answer was "No. We're going to put in more!!"

There was a Red Dawn style game 5 or 6 years ago and the developers were bragging about how they hired all these political experts to give them a really compelling story that rationally sets up a situation where North Korea pulls off a land invasion of the United States." Then later they revealed the story and it was just garbage. Which no one would have really cared about if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

Homefront.

The hilarious part was the story was originally going to feature China but they switched to NK after they were told China's feelings would be hurt.

Here's the "ground breaking realistic story"

quote:

Homefront is set in a dystopic United States, in the year 2027. The game's backstory dates back to the 2010s, where there are high tensions between North Korea and the global powers due to the country's military aggression, including its successful nuclear weapons test and the sinking of a South Korean ship.[5]

In the year 2013, one year after the death of North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong-il, his son and successor, Kim Jong-un, reunites North and South Korea to form the Greater Korean Republic (GKR), a technological and economic global power that utilizes the military strength of the North and the economic strength of the South. By the year 2015, a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia, both becoming nuclear-armed states, devastated the global oil supply, causing gas prices to skyrocket to $19.99 per gallon,[5] leaving many countries in debt and causing mass hysteria. This precipitates extreme economic turmoil and massive social unrest in the United States. Subsequently, in 2017, the U.S. military recalls much of its overseas presence, particularly in the Pacific. A year later, Japan, significantly weakened due to the diminishing of the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty, is easily conquered by the GKR and is annexed shortly thereafter.[5]

In 2022, conditions in the United States get worse, with the collapse of the financial system and an Asian bird flu epidemic that claims six million lives, forcing the Mexican government to quarantine the country by setting up immigration quotas as the Asian bird flu continues throughout North America. By 2024, Korea's annexation has continued throughout Southeast Asia, including its emerging economic powers, giving the GKR an empire reminiscent of Imperial Japan.[5] Finally, in 2025, the Greater Korean Republic launched a supposed advanced GPS satellite that would be a signal of peace, but is actually an orbital weapon that detonated a high-altitude nuclear device over the U.S., creating an EMP burst that wipes out much of the nation's electrical infrastructure. In the ensuing chaos, the Korean People's Army (KPA) launches an instant amphibious invasion that seizes control of Hawaii and much of the U.S. Pacific Coast. Korean paratroopers are deployed over the Midwestern United States, and with the military severely crippled and scattered, launches a final offensive to take control of the remaining states. However, the Americans were able to counterattack, leaving the Eastern States free, and effectively dividing the nation at the irradiated Mississippi River, with the Western states under GKR occupation, known as the 'New Korean Federation of Occupied America,' a puppet state of the GKR

FYI the most conservative estimates of the cost of a Korean unification are in the trillions and would take decades. Nope, not according to our polysci experts, NK's AWESOME AMAZING MILITARY is seamlessly integrated into SK's economy with literally no negative effects or costs.

Oh, and the money shot

quote:

The antagonists in Homefront were originally intended to be communist Chinese, but were later replaced by a unified Korea for two reasons: the risk of a possible backlash by the Chinese Ministry of Culture and the reality of economic interdependence between America and China that made the Chinese "not that scary," according to Tae Kim, a former CIA field agent and consultant on the game's backstory.[12] Kim said, "We went to a very rigorous, academic research process to make sure to not only look at North Korea's current state but to look at historical examples how things could parallel and turn events. History repeats itself. From today to the day the invasion starts in the game, if you combine everything, the odds are very very slim this becomes true. But when you look at the storyline step by step, every step is a coin flip but a plausible step. So once you get there, it's plausible. And from there the next step is plausible as well. Even though the whole thing is fictional, it comes with plausible baby steps."[13] While the story was billed as being written by John Milius, Gamasutra reported "most former employees credit Kaos writer C.J. Kershner with Homefront's script", claiming that Milius wrote not a single word.[14]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pentyne posted:

Homefront.

The hilarious part was the story was originally going to feature China but they switched to NK after they were told China's feelings would be hurt.

Here's the "ground breaking realistic story"

FYI the most conservative estimates of the cost of a Korean unification are in the trillions and would take decades. Nope, not according to our polysci experts, NK's AWESOME AMAZING MILITARY is seamlessly integrated into SK's economy with literally no negative effects or costs.

Oh, and the money shot

Oh sure, the US would totally just let NK invade Japan and we wouldn't do poo poo about it.

Even if oil is expensive we're not about to just sit back and watch Japan get invaded.

"Sorry dudes, have you seen the oil prices lately? Plus like, Perl Harbor, I dunno, deal with it"

To say nothing of the effect that nuclear weapons has on first world parties engaging in gigantic military campaigns. Imperialism is dead.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
You could use the plotline of the original Red Dawn and it'd still be much more plausible.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wasn't it changed again in Asian countries so it was Canada invading? Cause, um, sure, that's more reasonable.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Videogames love to handwave the logistics of mounting an invasion from thousands and thousands of miles away.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Videogames love to handwave the logistics of mounting an invasion from thousands and thousands of miles away.

"No dudes, this is totally realistic".

I just love the "well, yeah this is implausible, but not impossible, so its really a series of implausible events strung together"

It's like flipping a coin and it lands on the edge 76 times in a row. Korea just invades all its neighbors and no one else in the world cares or does anything and the conquered nations just smile and go along with it. No siree, no fears of native rebellions or unrest, in fact they jump in lockstep and join the military in vast numbers so Korea can field millions of soldiers overseas while still having millions to control its internal empire. And they all eat the best food possible and supply chain isn't an issue.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Ummm the states were having a bird flu outbreak. How are they supposed to worry about Japan while that's happening?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Military strength of north and economic strength of south would be more plausibly written as "military and economic strength of south with outdated and poorly equipped northern military well suited to be an occupying force"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't it changed again in Asian countries so it was Canada invading? Cause, um, sure, that's more reasonable.

Canadian Red Dawn: The Video Game? Don't make me want to play Homefront.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Homefront opened the gate for ludicrously impossible "Invasion of the US" scenarios, and fiction writers have yet to deliver. I want to read "URUGUAY IS COMING FOR US" or "Do you know where Lichtenstein is? YOUR FRONT DOOR, FUCKERS!" paperbacks and play "Mozambique Rising." Serious disappointment, all around.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Precambrian posted:

Homefront opened the gate for ludicrously impossible "Invasion of the US" scenarios, and fiction writers have yet to deliver. I want to read "URUGUAY IS COMING FOR US" or "Do you know where Lichtenstein is? YOUR FRONT DOOR, FUCKERS!" paperbacks and play "Mozambique Rising." Serious disappointment, all around.

Didn't one of the Call of Duty games have the opposing force as a federation of Latin American countries?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pookel posted:

You could use the plotline of the original Red Dawn and it'd still be much more plausible.

An original Red Dawn game would own.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

oldman posted:

Didn't one of the Call of Duty games have the opposing force as a federation of Latin American countries?

I hate that I know this, but I'm pretty sure that was Ghosts. I never played it. I think you start out fighting in San Diego or something.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I can't find a copy of the commercial online, but Checkers and Rally's recently released a commercial with the bag character saying something to the effect of "Two burgers for 5 bucks? I've got palpitations ya'll". The intent is clearly that the bag is excited over such a great deal, but considering how C/R food is much greasier than your average fast food, I'm not sure that's the best idea of how to advertise your product.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Holy poo poo, something even stupider than the pistol grip stick shift:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cellphone-case-gun-20150701-htmlstory.html

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Grey Fox posted:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cellphone-case-gun-20150701-htmlstory.html

Great gift for someone you want to die by cop, I guess. God, what a terrible, terrible idea. :doh:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Precambrian posted:

The only nation I could think of plausibly invading the U.S. is Madagascar. Pandemic taught me that that country is literally invincible and there is no way we could fight back against them.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
As a Canadian, I want a game about us invading the US, but with every goddamned stereotype played straight. Hockey players riding battle-moose using week old Tim Bits as ammo. I don't care who I play as. I just wanna play.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As a Canadian, I want a game about us invading the US, but with every goddamned stereotype played straight. Hockey players riding battle-moose using week old Tim Bits as ammo. I don't care who I play as. I just wanna play.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

Things Only White People Can Buy for $500, Alex.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Things Only White People Can Buy for $500, Alex.
How much do non-white people have to pay?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strudel Man posted:

How much do non-white people have to pay?

their lives.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

At least it will make stealing your phone way easier for pickpockets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

UraniumFuelElement posted:

At least it will make stealing your phone way easier for pickpockets.

Yeah bu it'll give the cops an easier time with the paperwork.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tunicate posted:

Yeah bu it'll give the cops an easier time with the paperwork.

http://forums.officer.com/t200370/

At least one out there is excited at the idea :commissar:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

canyoneer posted:

:psyduck:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

canyoneer posted:

quote:

Shooting guaranteed. Unless the carrier is black, then it's a racist shooting, hate crime. Would have been funnier if her screen saver was a confederate flag...
So even cops on forums revel in saying this stuff. But yeah, they definitely seem a bit too excited to shoot someone with this, regardless of how bad an idea it is to have it.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Welp, so now I know for a fact American cops are just "Just shoot everything, all the time, for any reason, it'll be fine".

loving hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

princecoo posted:

Welp, so now I know for a fact American cops are just "Just shoot everything, all the time, for any reason, it'll be fine".

loving hell.

I want to imagine the ones that aren't like that gave better things to do than post on a police forum.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

princecoo posted:

loving hell.

It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of people who post on that forum are mall cops.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of people who post on that forum are Paul Blart: Mall Cop fans.

FTFY

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I can't even look at it. What did you guys do?

Also when I was in Japan they had these umbrellas where the handle looked like a sword grip. They were cool, but they also had umbrellas that had a handle shaped like a rifle stock.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

hahaha that pic makes it look like a bayonet attachment for a pistol (which is silly enough on its own), but it turns out the entire thing is just a knife.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Canadian Red Dawn: The Video Game? Don't make me want to play Homefront.

I would play this but only if you could play as the Canadian invading force.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Don't bring a gun knife to a knife gun fight

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I work in sort of a mom & pop store in a street with lots of such stores, and we just got a proposal from a few other shopkeepers to all start accepting bitcoin. Aside from the fact that everything I know about bitcoin is ridiculous and related to anonymous drugs purchasing, I cannot imagine why someone would want to spend bitcoins around here (despite the proposal claiming they've had a whole bunch of clothing webshop sales from bitcoin).

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

davidspackage posted:

I work in sort of a mom & pop store in a street with lots of such stores, and we just got a proposal from a few other shopkeepers to all start accepting bitcoin. Aside from the fact that everything I know about bitcoin is ridiculous and related to anonymous drugs purchasing, I cannot imagine why someone would want to spend bitcoins around here (despite the proposal claiming they've had a whole bunch of clothing webshop sales from bitcoin).

Google Ron Paul.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There's a really junky, smelly little computer store near me with a "Bitcoin accepted here" decal in the window. The owner looks pretty much exactly how you'd expect someone into Bitcoin to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

There's a really junky, smelly little computer store near me with a "Bitcoin accepted here" decal in the window. The owner looks pretty much exactly how you'd expect someone into Bitcoin to look.

Isn't the problem with Bitcoin that its impossible to convert to cash? No one is trading cash for bt anywhere, just shuffling bt back and forth.