Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tanbo posted:

Nothing about cops specifically really, I don't trust anyone I don't know, that does include most cops.

Hi, you should specifically distrust them as well. You give a cop your unlocked phone and he will try to find the photos your girl sent you, just for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

You give anyone your unlocked phone and he will try to find the photos your girl sent you, just for fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The cop will take it further and look for reasons to search your vehicle.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
In my experience there are Policemen/women, and then there are Police Officers. The former are genuinely in it for the community and work by the spirit of the law, the latter have quotas to fill and will gently caress with your poo poo until they find a reason to write you up.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ReelBigLizard posted:

In my experience there are Policemen/women, and then there are Police Officers. The former are genuinely in it for the community and work by the spirit of the law, the latter have quotas to fill and will gently caress with your poo poo until they find a reason to write you up.

That's SERGEANT to you, SIR. License and registration please.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If a sergeant is calling me sir, that means I must be a captain, right?? :shepface:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

revmoo posted:

That would be heavenly. Let's see, my encounters with cops here have included:

- Searching my car after asking permission and I said no
- Searching my house without a warrant
- Giving me a speeding ticket when I was going below the limit and writing it for the wrong speed zone
- Nearly colliding with me driving the wrong way down a one-way street
- Running me off the road on the interstate while chatting on the phone (2x!)
- Taking 45 minutes to respond to 911 when a hillbilly was literally trying to run me down with his pickup truck while I gave constant updates on my location
- Pulling me over in an unmarked car while wearing jeans, baggy Sean Jean shirt and gold chains
- Other poo poo I'm forgetting

I'm a white guy software engineer with a 100% clean criminal record, I've never even been charged with a crime or arrested, and I drive clean cars that fully comply with all laws.

What?! Where do you live that this amount of insanity happens to you?! I take it you weren't on a bike with the hillbilly truck, or you would have just left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The US sounds amazing, I'll just take my heavy-handed speeding laws and gently caress off home thanks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

The US sounds amazing, I'll just take my heavy-handed speeding laws and gently caress off home thanks.

Take me with you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Take me with you

If you ever come to NZ you've got a place to stay. Looks like I'm not getting out of here for quite some time thanks to my tom-hanks-in-an-airport status

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lol what. What country did you belong to?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
More like what Cuntry did he belong to, amirite. Hey guys, amirite?!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Hahahahahaha!

I was born in Macedonia and came here with my parents when I was six. I'm currently a 'permanent resident' which basically means I can vote and have 100% the same rights as a citizen except I'm not allowed a passport. My parents got themselves citizenships but didn't bother to do it for me while I was a minor - they are now in Australia making fat stacks and I'm stuck here because of having no passport.

I attempted to get a citizenship and they told me it was unlikely because of my driving record (evidence of 'lack of good character'), but I could write a letter to the minister of immigration to try and convince him/her that I wasn't a terrorist or w/e, as well as get letters from everyone I know saying I'm a good guy etc. Long story short, someone somewhere sat at a desk and read my letter wherein I pointed out that I'd been here since I was a child, I have no recollection of any country other than this one, I'm about as kiwi as you can get and I learned to drive in NZ, on NZ roads, in NZ registered vehicles and have a NZ license and they still bounced me back. Because having lots of tickets = bad character not worthy of citizenship despite having lived here my entire loving life.

I can't get a Macedonian passport because, according to the Macedonian consulate in Australia (the closest one geographically), too much time has passed since I last had one so I would need to re-apply in person. I can't do this because I can't leave this country. So the only option open to me is to be a good boy and wait several years for my tickets to get automatically scrubbed (takes two years) and reapply again for another $600.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
"You're not from our country but we are going to keep you here anyway because you're too lovely to leave this place.":psyboom:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Someone actually sat there and decided that punishing me for a poo poo driving record by denying me the ability to leave the country and thus forcing me to keep driving here was a logical and reasonable thing to do and I want to find and stab that person to death.

I'm not really sure how driving record has any bearing on citizenship seeing as driving offences are specifically non-criminal. Deny me a license, sure, but I don't see why you would deny me citizenship of a country I literally grew up in.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slavvy, that is the most depressing state of affairs you are in. I would feel so trapped and claustrophobic (claustrophobike?). At least if I got trapped in the US like that, I could still go to pretty much any region or climate I wanted. It blows my mind that nobody cares to help you out because of some silly little rules that someone else made up that put you in such a ridiculously hindered position.

On the upside, you DO live in middle earth, seem to be doing well for yourself, have a healthy relationship, and a string of fun red dirtbikes. So it's not rough while you wait. Except for the olds and the coppers, that is.

EDIT: It's because they know when you get your passport you will leave. And once all the olds die who will pay their taxes? Sheep are notoriously delinquent on that front.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just get gay married to an american goon, nothing about this plan can go wrong!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

Our passports are kind of ugly tbh. Marry a goon from somewhere with a cool passport, like Bhutan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Slavvy, that is the most depressing state of affairs you are in. I would feel so trapped and claustrophobic (claustrophobike?). At least if I got trapped in the US like that, I could still go to pretty much any region or climate I wanted. It blows my mind that nobody cares to help you out because of some silly little rules that someone else made up that put you in such a ridiculously hindered position.

On the upside, you DO live in middle earth, seem to be doing well for yourself, have a healthy relationship, and a string of fun red dirtbikes. So it's not rough while you wait. Except for the olds and the coppers, that is.

EDIT: It's because they know when you get your passport you will leave. And once all the olds die who will pay their taxes? Sheep are notoriously delinquent on that front.

All the rest is true, but the bolded part definitely not, despite having two bikes I'm still most assuredly A Poor for my age and status (white male with no kids) and living pay to pay, but I'm working on it :unsmith:

It's definitely claustrophobic but if I had to get stuck in one country NZ would be pretty high on the list of favourites. I would like to do a road trip around the south island (which I've only visited once, and even then a very small part) but my aforementioned pooress effectively stops me from going further than ~200km from my house unless I save up for a few months. I'm strongly considering just marrying my missus and becoming a citizen by default just as a gently caress you to the Kafkaesque bureaucracy in this country (ask me about trying to get my driver's license back without my only form of state accepted id...my driver's license).

I'd love it if I lived in a country as vast and varied as the US; NZ has heaps of cool poo poo but wherever you go, you're never more than a few hundred km's away from the ocean and within 100km of a town.

ElMaligno posted:

Chichevache posted:

Our passports are kind of ugly tbh. Marry a goon from somewhere with a cool passport, like Bhutan.

I'd marry you chiche but then I'd have to deal with cops dismantling my life without permission or repercussion which is a lot worse than the Swedish minimum security prison setup I've got going right now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No wonder you're so angry all the time.

Edit: for real though I feel bad for your situation. Hope it gets better when the tickets clear.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah slavvy why you so mad?? lol

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy, there's hope yet! :v:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/07...+%28Slashdot%29

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

NZ has heaps of cool poo poo but wherever you go, you're never more than a few hundred km's away from the ocean and within 100km of a town.

As someone who lives on a small island, I know what it's like to be cooped up. I love my home but if I don't get off for a trip or something once in a while I start going nuts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Who do I report savvy too next time he bullies me by calling his bike a "hyoshit"? Is there a hot line or do they just monitor his Web traffic for me?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Who do I report savvy too next time he bullies me by calling his bike a "hyoshit"? Is there a hot line or do they just monitor his Web traffic for me?

Apparently it's this:

https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/titlechange.php

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Yup. Someone actually sat there and decided that punishing me for a poo poo driving record by denying me the ability to leave the country and thus forcing me to keep driving here was a logical and reasonable thing to do and I want to find and stab that person to death.

you know they might be on to something

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

No wonder you're so angry all the time.

Edit: for real though I feel bad for your situation. Hope it gets better when the tickets clear.

I'm not angry, I'm just impatient.

It's just the worst thing. The response to literally every public 'issue' fanned into a frenzy by the media is an instant push for hastily-thought-out, senseless legislation. Like, there's other ways of dealing with poo poo besides implementing baffling laws that are ineffectual at best and utterly retarded at worst.

I swear I'm not an angry guy in real life but the last couple of years have really worn me the gently caress down when it comes to my perception of humanity, society and so on. It's just a massive toilet and we're all turds fighting for the right to float nearest to the top.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is this the rant thread? kinda sounds like the wah wah thread

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, go back to your mailbox. Hint: It's the one on the ground in a crumpled mess.

Slavvy, If it makes you feel any better, lots of people over here, including myself, are a "poor" at an age when they shouldn't be. You will make it through and be earning fat stacks eventually. In the mean time, middle earth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

He lives in New Zealand, not Pennsylvania.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

I swear I'm not an angry guy in real life but the last couple of years have really worn me the gently caress down when it comes to my perception of humanity, society and so on. It's just a massive toilet and we're all turds fighting for the right to float nearest to the top.

I went to a big-ish park in Chicago to watch some fireworks for the (observed) 4th of July celebration, which is the celebration of American independence. I'm not all rah-rah on America; I wouldn't recognize Dale Jr. in the admittedly unlikely event that he should bite me on the rear end. It was great to see so many people with their kids running around on the grass and baseball diamonds (American cricket pitches) playing ball and frisbee, riding bikes, hanging out. There were a few hundred people there, and everyone was enjoying themselves. It was nice to see. The simulated bombing came and went, and as I rode bicycles back home with my various children, people were hanging out in their yards, garages, front porches and sidewalks and drinking together.

Sometimes people are great.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Razzled posted:

spokesman for CA right her

#killinit

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Razzled posted:

Dang, you're such a oval office.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Coydog posted:

Oh, go back to your mailbox. Hint: It's the one on the ground in a crumpled mess.
Those bastards hurt.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
The Wah-Wah pedal was invented in November 1966 by Lester Kushner and Brad Plunkett at Warwick Electronics, a division of Whirlpool that owned Thomas Organ Company and Vox. The creation of the Wah-Wah effect seems to be a fluke during the solid state redesign of the Vox Super Beatle/USA Amplifier.

Vox first units were made in Italy by Jen Elettronica (OEM) and called The Clyde McCoy Wah-Wah model after the famous trumpet player whose 1931 hit Sugar Blues popularized the Wah-Wah sound. Thomas Organ then wanted the effect branded as its own for the American market, changing it to Cry Baby which was sold in parallel to the Italian Vox V846.

The Wah-Wah effect is basically a tone control. The frequency response of it is a band-pass filter which boosts the resonant frequency and attenuates above and below harmonics. The action of rocketing the pedal shifts the resonant frequency. When the pedal is pushed all the way down, the high frequencies are emphasized, and conversely, when the pedal is all the way up, the bass is boosted.

Is this the rant thread? Kinda sounds like the guitar effects thread.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I hear guitar strings can be made of different materials. C/D?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

The Wah-Wah pedal was invented in November 1966 by Lester Kushner and Brad Plunkett at Warwick Electronics, a division of Whirlpool that owned Thomas Organ Company and Vox. The creation of the Wah-Wah effect seems to be a fluke during the solid state redesign of the Vox Super Beatle/USA Amplifier.

Vox first units were made in Italy by Jen Elettronica (OEM) and called The Clyde McCoy Wah-Wah model after the famous trumpet player whose 1931 hit Sugar Blues popularized the Wah-Wah sound. Thomas Organ then wanted the effect branded as its own for the American market, changing it to Cry Baby which was sold in parallel to the Italian Vox V846.

The Wah-Wah effect is basically a tone control. The frequency response of it is a band-pass filter which boosts the resonant frequency and attenuates above and below harmonics. The action of rocketing the pedal shifts the resonant frequency. When the pedal is pushed all the way down, the high frequencies are emphasized, and conversely, when the pedal is all the way up, the bass is boosted.

Is this the rant thread? Kinda sounds like the guitar effects thread.

Not to be confused with the whammy bar which I'm sure everyone reading this is intimately familiar with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's the one that makes flames shoot out the top, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's the one that make Dr Faustus come to the thread and lecture.