Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doctor Borris posted:

I'm collecting some quotes but remember they should be mostly positive not just gently caress this, Kings of War.

Why does it have to be positive???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I mean its gonna be in the OP, it can't just be a giant white space and the single line...

Its all dead go play something else.

What am I, Games Workshop?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How much longer before this bullshit spills to 40k?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's a lesson to take away here. They took the concept of Einherjar and trademarked it by changing the name to STORMHOST™. I'm gonna take the legend of sleepy hollow and change the name of the headless horseman to DECAPIQUUS™ and sell it like gangbusters, man. St. George and the Dragon can become the legend of DRAKKAR THE DRAKEKILLER™ fighting the GREATDRAKE™ and then put a simple symbol like a greek letter like Alpha on his pauldrons. Then trademark the Alpha symbol as the DRAKKARABULUS™.

Motherfuckers gonna buy my models forever, crush all the competition under the FIST OF LITIGATION™.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wait'll they release their next game, Orukkamorkka(TM)

their famous gods Gorukk and Morukk

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doctor Borris posted:

I mean its gonna be in the OP, it can't just be a giant white space and the single line...

Its all dead go play something else.

What am I, Games Workshop?

sure, but also I dont think it should have to be like the other hams OPs which are kinda like "heres this neat game you should play!"

maybe more of a customer service announcement, warning thread IMO

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Man I'm just depressed you know? That box is just garbage. Even the models... what the heck are you supposed to do with them? I mean finally I have models for my Grecian Terminator Conversions... yay?

All the Khorne guys look like the dropouts of Slaanesh BDSM school, where they didn't learn to mix pleasure and pain and just wore skulls on everything and yelled, until they were kicked out.

There are some arches in there.

The moving sticks are pretty cool. They're more divided so its easier to see per inch.

The photograph (non drawn) art in the book is very accurate to the models I just purchased, and the 34th time I saw the same Sigmarines I was pretty inspired.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, it really is just 90 pages of Sigmarine and Khorne photos with text? What the hell?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Wait, it really is just 90 pages of Sigmarine and Khorne photos with text? What the hell?

that GW manager let it slip that every wfb army is getting a single rules update for AoS and is then being squatted and apparently he's getting fired.

why should the fluff be about other armies if they're discontinuing the entire line?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

frajaq posted:

formations, warlord traits, unbound, and 32mm scale all started in 40k, so the logical conclusion is "as soon as they can poo poo out 10th edition".

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

frajaq posted:

About three months. Dehumanize yourself and ebay your Tau

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It. Doesn't. Even. Have. the. Rules.
At. All.
None.

I poo poo you not, I swear by all the sarcasm in my heart, it is just a Visions with little buzzword lore blurbs, then tons of pages about how awesome each model is. The Scenarios are 5 with set numbers of models, then the last is just unbound take everything and anything.
There was a synopsis here and in the bad thread, and they both look accurate, the book is just terrible.
It doesn't even talk about the other realms, or whats going on, or basically anything. There are about 6 pages in the front of photos of models and tiny art and a short story of Sigmar winning the World Lottery or something and building an entire world over a epoch with his magical dragon pal because he made the dragon the most prettiest necklace of Sigmarite. Its pretty terrible.
Then its pages of photos and rules for the new models in the book with gushing excitement and hesitant suggestions that more models would be even more amazing and fill out warbands in awesome ways. It is also pretty terrible.
Then some half-rear end scenarios with terrible stories and 2 formations on the last page.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
So i'm suddenly very glad I never got around to starting a fantasy army.

Mandatory next question: what's the recommended alternative, and where can i find people to play it with?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I love Warmachine. Usually folks play on Thursdays, look around for the local Pressganger to show demo games.

Infinity is good. Kings of War is good. Decent is good. Lots of stuff is good. There is a lot of wonderful fantasy games coming out.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Wait, it tells you to choose a realm for the battle as it can affect stuff, but then there is no rules for the realms?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TKIY posted:

Wait, it tells you to choose a realm for the battle as it can affect stuff, but then there is no rules for the realms?

we're playing on the fire realm *melts ur minis with a blowtorch*

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

we're playing on the fire realm *melts ur minis with a blowtorch*

Welcome to the realm of cold. Please rub this ice cube on your nipples.

On a more serious note doesn't this prove that there must be more rules coming? Unless there are realm of battle boards for each realm, and they come with warscrolls...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Business Gorillas posted:

that GW manager let it slip that every wfb army is getting a single rules update for AoS and is then being squatted and apparently he's getting fired.

why should the fluff be about other armies if they're discontinuing the entire line?

At least he can collect unemployment now and start looking for a new job instead of watching his career end in a wet fart with GW.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

The formations apparently have rules for what happens if you fight in specific realms with a specific force, so basically the realm rules are mostly pointless.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

TKIY posted:

There are no rules for realms as far as I can tell. I am no longer in possession of the manuscripts but I looked while I had them.

Once again though I'm serious that there was nothing about keywords, or any new real rules AT ALL in the box book.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

Got our advance copy of the box in today.

Ugh

I have seen four people claiming to have seen the contents of this box and they all use variations of "ugh" or "sigh" at some point.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

TKIY posted:

i found a way to make this game fun.

roll 2d6 on each turn to figure out what realm you're playing on and take a shot

metal: goldschlager
beast: wild turkey
death: jagermeister
fire: fireball
life: chartreuse
heavens: moonshine (white lightning)
shadow: kraken
light: jose cuervo

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Think about the Warhammer that was - drown your sorrows in gin (or other preferred liquor)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My plan to make this game fun:

1.)Not play it
2.)Play a different game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I have seen four people claiming to have seen the contents of this box and they all use variations of "ugh" or "sigh" at some point.

We bought in at the highest retail tier so we could get an advance copy and a buncha free poo poo. All of the things that I could use to describe the rules are just variations of describing how a father feels disappointed in his son at various stages of the sons upbringing.

jonnyman
Sep 6, 2013

I know I don't post very much but is no one going to just continue on with 8th? I'm just sitting here content knowing I can still play this game and GW can't make me play their new turd in a box. It also just might be that I'm a Tomb Kings player and I'm to stubborn to move on to something else.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So apparently the GW employee chat photos where the guy was trying to calm everyone down and wait for the full box release to see that there was crucial stuff that wasn't leaked yet was lying out the rear end?

I'm shocked.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

jonnyman posted:

I know I don't post very much but is no one going to just continue on with 8th? I'm just sitting here content knowing I can still play this game and GW can't make me play their new turd in a box. It also just might be that I'm a Tomb Kings player and I'm to stubborn to move on to something else.

Everyone I've talked to locally said they'll just keep playing 8th until the inevitable 9th edition comes out 6 months from now when AoS sells like poo poo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm not optimistic there will be a "real" 9th edition.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

S.J. posted:

Got our advance copy of the box in today.

Ugh

Totally tangential question here but every time you get a new starter box shipped in advance to a B&M store, does the management basically have to marathon-paint to get that poo poo ready for a respectable demo within 1 day of launch?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Hang on guys let me take a step back.

So there are no points or customisation in the current warscrolls. We might see customisation in the retrospective scrolls but those aren't even confirmed as existing yet.

So instead of list building - which is a huge aspect of this and 40k - you just bring everything and put it on the table one by one.

So nothing stopping me from just doing hard counters or OP poo poo depending on what my opponent deploys.

Also unit sizes are unlimited with no points costs to prevent you running 3x 50 man sigmardude units and then laughing as you benefit from Sudden Death because your opponent deploys smaller unit sizes than you so 'out numbers' you in terms of warscrolls (or is SD based on models?)

This is absolutely perfect if you're playing with a friend and want to just have fun. But I'd say only one in maybe five of my 40k games are like that and even then my friends are fairly competitive. Otherwise it's pick up games or league games which are the main gaming drive in my local area. So that kind of mentality is poo poo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Twisted posted:

Hang on guys let me take a step back.

So there are no points or customisation in the current warscrolls. We might see customisation in the retrospective scrolls but those aren't even confirmed as existing yet.

So instead of list building - which is a huge aspect of this and 40k - you just bring everything and put it on the table one by one.

So nothing stopping me from just doing hard counters or OP poo poo depending on what my opponent deploys.

Also unit sizes are unlimited with no points costs to prevent you running 3x 50 man sigmardude units and then laughing as you benefit from Sudden Death because your opponent deploys smaller unit sizes than you so 'out numbers' you in terms of warscrolls (or is SD based on models?)

This is absolutely perfect if you're playing with a friend and want to just have fun. But I'd say only one in maybe five of my 40k games are like that and even then my friends are fairly competitive. Otherwise it's pick up games or league games which are the main gaming drive in my local area. So that kind of mentality is poo poo.

It's model count. Which is, if possible, even more strange.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

OK so that's at the very least slightly more balanced. Still nothing stopping hard counters or just putting down 3 bloodthirsters to completely game the sudden death system as you have 3 models to their say, 10 sigmardudes

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I think there's a lesson to take away here. They took the concept of Einherjar and trademarked it by changing the name to STORMHOST . I'm gonna take the legend of sleepy hollow and change the name of the headless horseman to DECAPIQUUS and sell it like gangbusters, man. St. George and the Dragon can become the legend of DRAKKAR THE DRAKEKILLER fighting the GREATDRAKE
yeah no-one would give a gently caress if this happened, nor should they.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I marathoned the last thousand or so posts. It was worth every one of the 40 minutes it took me. Thank you GW and thank you thread posters; it was one of the best reads in a while.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Twisted posted:

OK so that's at the very least slightly more balanced.

No, going on model count alone is not more balanced than a warscroll, unless we see tomorrow that a single goblin (sorry, grot) is an equal foe to a Sigmarine, or a Sigmarine on a battlecat, or an Aelf on a dragon. And if so, what's up with that?

The only hope of balance would be if each warscroll had a specific number of troops, like a scroll of goblins were 15 goblins, while a scroll of Sigmarines got you three marines. But each scroll can be an infinite number of troops, so you can't balance a game by specifying that you use a certain amount of scrolls. It's just bad.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Here is what GW was thinking when the designed those rules:

"Oh man, what if a guy brought 50 goblins and then the other player brought 3 bloodthirsters?"

Here is what will inevitably be the case:

"Oh man, what if my opponent brings 50 bloodthirsters and all I have are 10 goblins?"

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

New "Retributor Armour Spray" to "Effortlessly base your Stormcast Eternals"

£17, or $28

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Caught up with 900+ posts in this thread, now to the death thread to drink in more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

"Oh man, what if my opponent brings 50 bloodthirsters and all I have are 10 goblins?"

lol at you for running old warhammer goblins in the year of sigmar 2015.
You're supposed to buy the new warscroll gangbang grotlings that have a hard counter to 50 bloodthirsters if you run them in this exclusive limited edition formation available from their webstore.

• Locked thread