Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The more accepted cultures I have, the more advisors I get that are from different cultures, therefore making it seem like I am indeed a ruler of many peoples.

They don't have to be accepted cultures for this to happen, but it is great regardless

The main problem I have with accepted cultures is that even if you stack a bunch of bonuses to acceptance there are still tiny/poor cultures you can never accept. Every game I play near the Balkans has my nation hating the Serbs, Croats, and Albanians because they're poor as poo poo and there's only one Albanian province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Anyone know of a mod that lets you have more than 50% of your idea groups dedicated to a certain category? Before that got patched in I used to love doing Prussia runs with Aristocracy/Offensive/Defensive/Quality/Quantity and would like to do it again. I searched the Steam workshop but couldn't find anything.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Now that the inflation reduction buildings are gone, what are the best ways to reduce inflation? Is it just "take Economic ideas and have a Master of Mint advisor", or is there something else?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Sheriff posted:

Anyone know of a mod that lets you have more than 50% of your idea groups dedicated to a certain category? Before that got patched in I used to love doing Prussia runs with Aristocracy/Offensive/Defensive/Quality/Quantity and would like to do it again. I searched the Steam workshop but couldn't find anything.

There probably isn't a mod that does it but you can change it in the defines.lua file in the steam/steamapps/common/eu4/common folder. Open that file with a text program and do a search for:

MAX_IDEA_GROUPS_FROM_SAME_CATEGORY = 0.5

Not sure what you'd change it to exactly, 0 or 1.0 but that's where it is.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Trujillo posted:

There probably isn't a mod that does it but you can change it in the defines.lua file in the steam/steamapps/common/eu4/common folder. Open that file with a text program and do a search for:

MAX_IDEA_GROUPS_FROM_SAME_CATEGORY = 0.5

Not sure what you'd change it to exactly, 0 or 1.0 but that's where it is.

Should be 1.0 judging by the wording.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, Europe is so drat broken in this patch. Austria constantly losing the crown, France never retaking the English holdings, Burgundy losing it's unions to negative prestige constantly. Makes me sad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just got in a massive war with half the HRE and mega-bohemia. We were both down to 0 manpower desperately buying mercs and using our little stacks of 50-person armies to desperately get enough score to call the thing. I like to have short overwhelming victories, this was bad. I really felt bad that about 500k went to their deaths so in the end my march could get a single new province.

The AI should really though know about this. I peaced out but I have 0 manpower and need 58k just to rebuild my armies and my max manpower is about 120k. Everyone who hates me or wants a piece of me should know this is their chance, to hit me while I have no manpower.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can oyu not ask for provinces outside fo the war goal if you declare as part of a coalition?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can oyu not ask for provinces outside fo the war goal if you declare as part of a coalition?

Apparently not, unless they're your cores. wargoal_types.txt says both cores and claims should work though so I'm not sure why.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Baronjutter posted:

I just got in a massive war with half the HRE and mega-bohemia. We were both down to 0 manpower desperately buying mercs and using our little stacks of 50-person armies to desperately get enough score to call the thing. I like to have short overwhelming victories, this was bad. I really felt bad that about 500k went to their deaths so in the end my march could get a single new province.

The AI should really though know about this. I peaced out but I have 0 manpower and need 58k just to rebuild my armies and my max manpower is about 120k. Everyone who hates me or wants a piece of me should know this is their chance, to hit me while I have no manpower.

If they hate you enough 0 manpower is one of the bigger AI triggers to go gently caress someone up. They're just reluctant to do so if you have any big allies, or are significantly large on your own.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So Culture Converting now has a base cost and time-to-complete of 10 Diplo points per development :stare:

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Am I the only person with broken forts this patch? Countries can randomly walk past them and they never flip provinces back.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeeEmTee posted:

Am I the only person with broken forts this patch? Countries can randomly walk past them and they never flip provinces back.
I have noticed forts not flipping adjacent provinces back. Not sure about people walking right by them though.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
"I wish I could get Austria to join me and France in taking back Egypt for the Kongo but they are friendly with Spain and Portugal this will never work out"

*Would you like to challenge Spain for a Personal Union over Austria?*

Oh yeah sure I guess this is "the run" then.

So I accepted the challenge with no way to get units to Europe and France with a truce with Spain. I hang out and 2 years later he joins. I built 2 cogs and pushed 50 units to Europe 2 at a time. Took over all of Spain and then worked my way to Wein. France was a total bro, staying in the war till the end, 17 years. Then stealth capping London for me when I attacked GB for their last Africa holdings a few months later.

Just hit 1700 and finished my first Ottoman war. 2 more should clean that up, then one more against Portugal!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Playing a Poland game, and had a nice border with the Ottomans about where Wallachia and Serbia were. I notice they have 0 manpower, half their army is mercenaries, and I'm in great shape for a long, drawn out slugfest. Had a Mega-Venice and a Mega-Ethiopia help me out while I waited for France to end a war so it could join me. Absolutely crushed them. My 2nd favorite part is when I had taken so much land they couldn't afford mercs anymore, and their entire army disintegrated without any more battles. My favorite part was the god drat revolution fired in the Ottoman Empire as I was getting ready to peace out. Separatists, peasants, particularists, and revolutionaries were sieging the Ottomans down left and right. What was left of their empire after I grabbed all of Greece was mostly black striped. It was great.

Except when the Iraqi Separatist Rebels enforced their demands and made the empire release Iraq, all of the other rebels lost their holdings. The revolution quickly died. That monumental chain of disasters fell upon them all at once and all that happened was Iraq was set free, only to be gobbled again another day. That can't be WAD, can it?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Baronjutter posted:

Just wait a bit and it will come, maybe your enemies are engaged in other wars at the moment?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Jackson Taus posted:

Now that the inflation reduction buildings are gone, what are the best ways to reduce inflation? Is it just "take Economic ideas and have a Master of Mint advisor", or is there something else?

It only costs 75 admin to lower inflation by 2 points, so unless you have a bad monarch or tech group you should usually have some spare points that you could throw into that. Economic is still pretty good as far as picks go although I think it was a bit overkill to nerf the 20% artillery bonus.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bort Bortles posted:

I have noticed forts not flipping adjacent provinces back.

I've noticed this as well. Happens fairly often when a rebellion takes a province near a fort then leaves or gets wiped out.

Also forts could still use some kind of UI element that makes it more clear which fort owns which province, but I'm not exactly sure how that would be done. Just anything to make it easier to see at a glance where your guys will be able to go and where you can position guys in order to back them up, because right now that stuff can be pretty awkward when you're dealing with multiple provinces that each border multiple forts and trying to figure out where to put guys so that they can reinforce your sieging armies if they get attacked.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TTBF posted:

Playing a Poland game, and had a nice border with the Ottomans about where Wallachia and Serbia were. I notice they have 0 manpower, half their army is mercenaries, and I'm in great shape for a long, drawn out slugfest. Had a Mega-Venice and a Mega-Ethiopia help me out while I waited for France to end a war so it could join me. Absolutely crushed them. My 2nd favorite part is when I had taken so much land they couldn't afford mercs anymore, and their entire army disintegrated without any more battles. My favorite part was the god drat revolution fired in the Ottoman Empire as I was getting ready to peace out. Separatists, peasants, particularists, and revolutionaries were sieging the Ottomans down left and right. What was left of their empire after I grabbed all of Greece was mostly black striped. It was great.

Except when the Iraqi Separatist Rebels enforced their demands and made the empire release Iraq, all of the other rebels lost their holdings. The revolution quickly died. That monumental chain of disasters fell upon them all at once and all that happened was Iraq was set free, only to be gobbled again another day. That can't be WAD, can it?

They probably submitted to those rebels too...they just weren't nationalists and patriots.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I was looking through the beta patch notes...

"- Added event to create Greek cores late in the game."

What does the above mean exactly?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is odd - I don't think there's any way for me to take those provinces, because they're surrounded by my CN and therefore I wouldn't be able to make them a core. I can just make them protectorates but the point was to give Japanese Mexico all that sweet gold.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Node posted:

Sounds a bit like the shenanigans that make the Dutch pop up mid-game.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Node posted:

Greek cores have always been a bit weird, as sometimes Greek rebels would form it. As they'd form the cores only on taking a province when the nation itself didn't exist, this meant that we used to see 'Greece' sitting up in the Crimea a lot. Basically the rebel system doesn't allow for 'national awakenings' like Greece or the Netherlands, so they add events to make it work.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is odd - I don't think there's any way for me to take those provinces, because they're surrounded by my CN and therefore I wouldn't be able to make them a core. I can just make them protectorates but the point was to give Japanese Mexico all that sweet gold.

Transfer the occupation to your CN and give them the provinces directly in the peace treaty?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Apoffys posted:

Transfer the occupation to your CN and give them the provinces directly in the peace treaty?

I couldn't figure out a way to give the provinces to the CN - don't think you can transfer occupation to one of your dependencies. I ended up reloading and it seemed to work fine when I went for Aztec first and other countries later.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Obliterati posted:

Greek cores have always been a bit weird, as sometimes Greek rebels would form it. As they'd form the cores only on taking a province when the nation itself didn't exist, this meant that we used to see 'Greece' sitting up in the Crimea a lot. Basically the rebel system doesn't allow for 'national awakenings' like Greece or the Netherlands, so they add events to make it work.

They're still weird, you never know which country rebels would appear from Greek culture provinces: Greece, Byzantium, Epirus, Trebisond? Saw all of them, and one game to another same province can spawn different Greeks.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

The former #1 world leader for the past few centuries, now a subservient to the hungarian throne.. what.

I've fought France three times and only managed to white peace two of them and get three provinces off of them in the third one. Fucker is just impossible to breach with muslim units even though GB, austria and milan was all up in their rear end too. I've lost like 300k men to stackwipes, not morale depleted and injured stacks, but completely healthy full stacks would get morally annihilated in the first ten days of combat unless there was some light skinned people also fighting on the same side. Thank god for stackwipes partially going back to the manpower pool. And now the centuries old Tunisian dream of ripping apart their rival France is all but gone as they are under a PU of a nation no one powerful cares about and Milan is the junior PU partner of Poland who is my rival. :qq:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

In a situation where a king became king of France and Hungary, wouldn't he just move his court to Paris and effectively it's France ruling Hungary, rather than the other way around?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gort posted:

In a situation where a king became king of France and Hungary, wouldn't he just move his court to Paris and effectively it's France ruling Hungary, rather than the other way around?

That's not how a personal union works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gort posted:

In Austria-Hungary at least they were two completely separate countries in the same state. A citizen of Austria was not a citizen of Hungary, and you needed a passport to pass between the two countries. Each had their own (mostly powerless) legislatures, but the Archduke/Emperor was the leader of both. It wasn't like Austria ruled over Hungary.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They probably submitted to those rebels too...they just weren't nationalists and patriots.

I got a pop up saying it was The Revolution followed by a pop up stating The Revolution died after they lost the half of the country they controlled due to whatever happened. They're not a republic and there's no The Revolution icon at the bottom of the screen.

At the very least, does this mean the revolution is dead or can the event fire again elsewhere?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The former #1 world leader for the past few centuries, now a subservient to the hungarian throne.. what.

I've fought France three times and only managed to white peace two of them and get three provinces off of them in the third one. Fucker is just impossible to breach with muslim units even though GB, austria and milan was all up in their rear end too. I've lost like 300k men to stackwipes, not morale depleted and injured stacks, but completely healthy full stacks would get morally annihilated in the first ten days of combat unless there was some light skinned people also fighting on the same side. Thank god for stackwipes partially going back to the manpower pool. And now the centuries old Tunisian dream of ripping apart their rival France is all but gone as they are under a PU of a nation no one powerful cares about and Milan is the junior PU partner of Poland who is my rival. :qq:

From the looks of the screenshot, I'd think you should be able to punch a hole in France, albeit taking some heavy losses while doing it. How are you doing your wars? I found it best to use 20k stacks on a siege and then surround it with backup stacks. With France, that basically means doing one siege at a time since they're going to keep running at you with 70k men over and over.

You basically want to make sure that as soon as you see France coming, to send enough troops to equalize the lines and then you stagger the extra stacks so that your morale will outlast them. Hopefully you have some discipline ideas to make up for what France gets. Also, try to make sure you have a good general as it makes a huge difference to make up for France being lucky and having better units than you have.

Unless France has more divisions than you or is played by another human, you should be able to very slowly beat them back since they won't be as efficient as you are. Make sure to use mercs for infantry so that you can win the attrition war.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really not looking forward to westernizing as Ternate. All those islands and not a chance to even have forts on a quarter of them. :suicide:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Just wait a bit and it will come, maybe your enemies are engaged in other wars at the moment?

Yeah, about when I re-built my armies and my manpower was about 50% my idiot ally Burgundy declared war on switzerland which meant a whole new HRE war. We lost that one bad, or I should say Burgundy did. All I lost was all my manpower, again. loving Bohemia walking in with 100+ unit stack rolling all over switzerland and central europe. Burgundy and all its idiot allies decided to throw it all in on an offensive mountain battle so of course all the HRE forces force-march there and obliterate the army. After a couple maulings I hid behind my fort and waited as Burgundy and most others got carpet-sieged. Then they came for me, they wanted me to release some provinces or something awful.

I managed to peace out separately, the condition? Break my alliance with Burgundy. Yes please! loving Burgundy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's not how a personal union works.
Yeah, just because you share a king does not mean the bigger country rules the other, especially not if the smaller country is a decent enough size in itself and geographically separated. (And even a small country would have to be integrated.) The king of Hungary would likely go to France to rule instead of staying in Hungary though, just like the Elector of Hannover left for GB.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Poil posted:

I'm really not looking forward to westernizing as Ternate. All those islands and not a chance to even have forts on a quarter of them. :suicide:

It shouldn't be too bad as long as those islands don't also have separatism. If you're really worried, boost autonomy on them all. Westernization is only +5 unrest and boosting autonomy takes care of 10 unrest. As long as you have positive stability you probably won't even have to do that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

aeglus posted:

It shouldn't be too bad as long as those islands don't also have separatism. If you're really worried, boost autonomy on them all. Westernization is only +5 unrest and boosting autonomy takes care of 10 unrest. As long as you have positive stability you probably won't even have to do that.
I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about all the event spawned regressionists that are going to set back progress by a ton instantly when they show up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

I am waiting for a building to be added that lets you have a capital sized and style garrison (1k men) anywhere. It would have 1/4 or 1/3 the upkeep of a fort, no ZoC, could not be mothballed, not add much or any army tradition, but let you have at least some mild fortifications on islands or important places. e.g. Crete, Madeira, Gotland or if you have a province next to a fort that is important but not strategic enough to merit a fort, or it is a fort's ZoC but you want this province (a CoT, Estuary, gold province, big manpower province, whatever) to not have a 1 month siege. It would take up a building slot so there would be "opportunity cost" for having it, but it may be just what you need. It also would probably not have any upgrades.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, just because you share a king does not mean the bigger country rules the other, especially not if the smaller country is a decent enough size in itself and geographically separated. (And even a small country would have to be integrated.) The king of Hungary would likely go to France to rule instead of staying in Hungary though, just like the Elector of Hannover left for GB.

OK, but in a situation where France is a junior partner to Hungary in a personal union, it seems a bit off that Hungary will then be able to annex France and then everyone in France starts acting Hungarian with Hungarian ideas and flying the Hungarian flag and so on. The other way around seems more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gort posted:

OK, but in a situation where France is a junior partner to Hungary in a personal union, it seems a bit off that Hungary will then be able to annex France and then everyone in France starts acting Hungarian with Hungarian ideas and flying the Hungarian flag and so on. The other way around seems more likely.
That's what I meant by the king leaving for France. The senior-partner would obviously be the country the king resides in. The whole idea about switching unions like that around is something I've argued for in the previous thread, because yes, it doesn't make much sense to have Hungary integrate France.

• Locked thread