Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I loving love that line from harry in the last shattered memories video

"I'm not even a ghost."

Just that mix of sadness and realization.

e: further extrapolation on the ending Liam got it's the ending the game gives you if it registers you don't actually give a poo poo about any of Kaufman's therapy sequences. In other words his speedrunning actually changed the plot.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Man, that is a game I almost don't want to play now because if I almost cried at someone else's let's play of it while they were talking over it, then that'll probably gently caress me right up if I'm experiencing it firsthand.

Also just noticed this episode that the 'flashlight' Liam is holding in that intro is ACTUALLY A VITA. Man, that was an amazing LP. Gonna have to agree with DumbparameciuM, that one's going on the rewatch pile.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Pat: "Man, you've gotten real good at the shooting in this game."

Matt: "I guess." :smith:

I think this game is slowly breaking Matt.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Only 3 more sections to go.
I kinda wish they'd buy the RPG, because giving you explosives is about the stupidest thing the game lets you do.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Pat: "Man, you've gotten real good at the shooting in this game."

Matt: "I guess." :smith:

I think this game is slowly breaking Matt.

I love how this game is basically the negaverse version of deadly premonition. It's hosed up and broken but has a lot of heart. The difference being that DP is actually interesting and this game is like a shifty black label society music video.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Deadly Premonition also has more emotive voice actors and better music.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I love how this game is basically the negaverse version of deadly premonition. It's hosed up and broken but has a lot of heart. The difference being that DP is actually interesting and this game is like a shifty black label society music video.

Ride to Hell is just like DP, except it's worse, has no charm, and they ways it is bad are much less interesting. Seriously, I don't see how this game has 'heart', all these characters are flat and the everything is so bare bones and nonsensical, I don't get the feeling anyone gave a poo poo when this was being made.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

hoobajoo posted:

Ride to Hell is just like DP, except it's worse, has no charm, and they ways it is bad are much less interesting. Seriously, I don't see how this game has 'heart', all these characters are flat and the everything is so bare bones and nonsensical, I don't get the feeling anyone gave a poo poo when this was being made.

I love the idea presented in the previous episode that the devs thought they were making the most :sicknasty::woop::c00lbutt: game imaginable.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hoobajoo posted:

I disagree, I think this game is pretty charming in an innocently juvenile kinda way. I can't listen to this song without the opening riffs putting a smile on my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7GJCAaDyI

I will actually go out on a limb and say the soundtrack for this game actually isn't half bad at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

No, he meant Deadly Premonition has heart.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ride to Hell is like DP, except DP is the best game ever and Ride to Hell is the worst game ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are worse games than Ride to Hell.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ride to Hell is pretty consistent at being entertaining to watch which is far more than can be said for most bad games.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Oh yeah, I probably misunderstood. Deadly Premonition is all heart.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is really stupid the level some people will go to to put Deadly Premonition on a different pedestal than other bad video games and this is coming from someone who loves Deadly Premonition.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

It is really stupid the level some people will go to to put Deadly Premonition on a different pedestal than other bad video games and this is coming from someone who loves Deadly Premonition.

Other bad games shouldn't be on the "best game ever" pedestal, like Deadly Premonition is. Deadly Premonition is not a bad game no matter how you slice it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's actually a bad game in several ways and just because you like it doesn't make it not that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like the combat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Deadly Premonition is the best Telltale game that never was.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are the only one in the world who does.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can be a lot of good silly fun with the unlock-able weapons.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I can be a lot of good silly fun with the unlock-able weapons.

I agree, that doesn't make it good. There are a million other games with more fun combat and goofy weapons that does DPs gameplay better, you may know it as the MGS series.

Dias posted:

Deadly Premonition is the best Telltale game that never was.

Now see I feel like this is being disingenuous to DP because all of DPs characters are fun and loveable and maybe it's just because of more recent Telltale games, but the more I play them the more I see the same lovely characters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beef Chief posted:

Now see I feel like this is being disingenuous to DP because all of DPs characters are fun and loveable and maybe it's just because of more recent Telltale games, but the more I play them the more I see the same lovely characters.

I agree, but DP would've been unarguably great if it was an adventure game, even if an on-rails one like a Telltale game . Let me rephrase, DP should've been D4 when it came out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I completely agree because I love the poo poo out of D4 and am so happy I watched the Best Friends LP of it so I would bother to actually play it

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Matt can see so good now he's wearing his loving gwass-cagyhns

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I mean both have heart. It's just that Ride to Hell has heart in the wrong place and isn't a huge ripoff if twin peaks. Which means it is the worser game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ride to Hell's art style and music are pretty cool. The rest of it is absolutely miserable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

I loving love that line from harry in the last shattered memories video

"I'm not even a ghost."

Just that mix of sadness and realization.

e: further extrapolation on the ending Liam got it's the ending the game gives you if it registers you don't actually give a poo poo about any of Kaufman's therapy sequences. In other words his speedrunning actually changed the plot.

There was a dude who did an LP of it in SA all CYOA style that showed of every permutation of the story

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I know matt doesn't read the thread anymore but you could totally jump-kick a t-800 and definitely knock him over if he isn't paying attention.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I know matt doesn't read the thread anymore

You should look at the last page.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If Matt had used the environmental kill spot in the church after the pew near it was destroyed, would Jake have smashed a guy's head on nothing?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo so Lab 0 is making a metroidvania. Here's the announcement trailer.

The composer for Secret of Mana is doing the music for it and the story is based on Southeast Asian mythology. They're comparing it to Valkyrie Profile and Super Metroid.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 3, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A good poster posted:

If Matt had used the environmental kill spot in the church after the pew near it was destroyed, would Jake have smashed a guy's head on nothing?

Yes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo so Lab 0 is making a metroidvania. Here's the announcement trailer.

The composer for Secret of Mana is doing the music for it and the story is based on Southeast Asian mythology. They're comparing it to Valkyrie Profile and Super Metroid.

That is one Crisp-rear end, HD poo poo right here.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

A good poster posted:

Of course! From when the Men Drinkin' Coffee played this:

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Holy poo poo Matt was totally right and Lance Hendrickson is totally a detective in Terminator 1. gently caress

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would sacrifice terminator week on the altar of not having to hear pat talk about superman ever again

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I would sacrifice terminator week on the altar of not having to hear pat talk about superman ever again

I'd sacrifice it for more time on the clock.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

An intelligent balding ginger man with inferiority slash superiory complex who hates Superman? Face it, Pat is basically Lex Luthor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Good lord, they played over an hour of this game? :stare: And presumably a lot more, since there were jumpcuts.

edit: Oh never mind, they just played two games. I did thought the title was too long.

Tae fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 3, 2015