Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wasn't this a windows 7 wallpaper in the architecture collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

didn't paul allen pay a million bucks for that

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that building has to be worth more than a million

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My YOSPOS confession is I've been following this thread the entire time I've been using Windows 10 for the last 3-4 months and I've been enjoying Win10 and this thread.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

My YOSPOS confession is I've been following this thread the entire time I've been using Windows 10 for the last 3-4 months and I've been enjoying Win10 and this thread.

have you removed your own common sense particle, so you can hold two contradictory ideas simultaneously?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

he's enjoying it ironically

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

i hate to endorse windows 10 as well but as a universal launcher for chrome it does an ok job and is free, yes its spying on me but so is chrome which is also free

its the 2015 of computing i always expected from when i spent 1999 reading slashdot

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

does slashdot lower everyone's expectations? sounds like your main praise comes from it being free ( but spying on you ), but Mac OS has been free and not spied on you for years.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

theultimo posted:

Wow 10162 made themes even worse. It feels like a stupid Gnome theme

i'm surprised they've kept shadows at this point, given they've flattened everything to modernise it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

PleasureKevin posted:

does slashdot lower everyone's expectations? sounds like your main praise comes from it being free ( but spying on you ), but Mac OS has been free and not spied on you for years.

my only praise is that its free and that its funny that most businesses around the world will be getting updates about nelly the rapper's drug charges trial pushed right onto their start menus, and that ms will tune those news placement algorithms for maximum user distraction which will ultimately paul bunyan their tco figures once you factor in nelly-related reading time

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

well they already replaced the water coolers with xbox ones

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

theultimo posted:

that looks like the default vs2012 white-on-slightly-off-white theme that gave people headaches

and those system tray icons are awful. no symmetry at all and one is just an unlabeled, misaligned number.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 3, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oh fun! looks like there'll be a distinct french (canada) iso for windows 10, as well as two english (us and uk) and spanish (europe and latin america) versions. hopefully the only difference is the defaults

EDIT their default French keyboard is "Canadian Multilingual Standard" Microsoft you stupid fucks

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 3, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theultimo posted:

im the diks cleanup

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

GCCX #200
ALL JAPAN ...
gccx owns and the ppl who translate it are a weird case of a goon project actually succeeding

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

theultimo posted:

am I looking at this wrong or did they get rid of colored title bars? is everything just white now? :psyduck:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

SO DEMANDING posted:

am I looking at this wrong or did they get rid of colored title bars? is everything just white now? :psyduck:
kde is like that for 5 years now so the answer is yes

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SO DEMANDING posted:

separate but equal (2:20)

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm surprised they've kept shadows at this point, given they've flattened everything to modernise it

Flattening everything is garbage and bad and I'm glad a forward thinking company like Microsoft gets it

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
another Ballmer decision that led to ruin

quote:

He said that the situation was so bad, he felt he had to schedule a meeting with Ballmer and then Xbox head Robbie Bach to let them know how much money it would take to fix things:

"This is a disaster - I may have to schedule a meeting" - MS disaster response in action

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"This is a disaster - I may have to schedule a meeting" - MS disaster response in action

to be fair, my disaster response is, "This is a disaster - Who can I blame this on?"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

to be fair, my disaster response is, "This is a disaster - Who can I blame this on?"

microsoft

so i can see why this would be a problem within microsoft

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Millstone posted:

Flattening everything is garbage and bad and I'm glad a forward thinking company like Microsoft gets it

lol as if MS has any reasoning behind it's design decisions beyond "gently caress it"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol as if MS has any reasoning behind it's design decisions beyond "gently caress it"

which is why nothing in windows 10 visually meshes with anything else

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

univbee posted:

oh fun! looks like there'll be a distinct french (canada) iso for windows 10, as well as two english (us and uk) and spanish (europe and latin america) versions. hopefully the only difference is the defaults

EDIT their default French keyboard is "Canadian Multilingual Standard" Microsoft you stupid fucks

why are there different SKUs of the operating system for different languages and regions?

have they still not figured out how to ship one OS for all customers yet?

next you'll say there are still separate 32-bit and 64-bit releases instead of one that runs on all supported hardware.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

shadow puppet of a posted:

i hate to endorse windows 10 as well but as a universal launcher for chrome it does an ok job and is free, yes its spying on me but so is chrome which is also free

its the 2015 of computing i always expected from when i spent 1999 reading slashdot

chromeos is a better chrome launcher. at least it doesn't nag you to update all the time, it just does it in the background automatically. also it boots insanely fast

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

chromeos is a better chrome launcher. at least it doesn't nag you to update all the time, it just does it in the background automatically. also it boots insanely fast

and its far cheaper

i set up an older friend with an asus chromebox upgraded to 8gb of ram and for $200 all inclusive its p. sweet

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
yeah i actually just got one of those asus chromeboxes too for $119 from frys. only has 2 gb of ram and 16gb SSD, but that's perfect for installing openelec and getting a little media player with a good intel CPU and hardware video decoding that just works

which reminds me, LMAO windows 7 media center users are going to have a very bad day on July 29th when they upgrade to win 10...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

which reminds me, LMAO windows 7 media center users are going to have a very bad day on July 29th when they upgrade to win 10...

man, both of them are going to be so mad

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

gently caress it, installed this on my main system (have an updated Win7 partition so I'm not completely hosed) - going to ride this bitch into the abyss while I whip my 10gallon hat back and forth screaming "yeeehawwww"

so need to change the region settings, find this happens for most control panel items when you search - always reveals the old-style CP item as the first hit, but the individual settings within the 'modern' control panel show below that, so people are invariably going to be confused as gently caress as w10 basically promotes the deprecated control panel when you're searching for how to do something, but will shove the new one in your face when changing the settings invoked through other methods (apps, right-click on the desktop, etc)

it basically guarantees that despite maybe 70%+ of the settings existing in the new CP, you'll be jerked back and forth between each UI for no loving reason

so I choose the second option to get into the modern CP:

...and get the drop-down menu which of course is on US, so as usual with these styles of menus I start to type C-A so it can jump to Canada without having to scroll scroll scroll

...the 'moderm' menu cannot respond to text input, so the CP suddenly takes my text input and puts it in the CP search field, despite the search field not being highlighted in any way and thus dumps a bunch of search results for CA, replacing the region selection screen I was just in

:psyduck:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

but the individual settings within the 'modern' control panel show below that, so people are invariably going to be confused as gently caress as w10 basically promotes the deprecated control panel when you're searching for how to do something, but will shove the new one in your face when changing the settings invoked through other methods (apps, right-click on the desktop, etc)

perfect example

right-click desktop, select "Personalize"

you get the modern CP

search for personalize...

first hit is the old CP, so of course you get a completely different UI for the same function

if any win8/win10 user criticizes a linux distro for its UI, punch them in the face

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

windows still has sound themes :psyduck:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

so file history does not recognize my internal HDD's as viable backup options, only wants to use external

you can't rename the quick access folders - so they're like favourites, but just more restrictive

I seriously may not be able to handle a weekend of this, I thought with W10, even with the tiles it was at least more desktop-focused and could only be an improvement over win8, but using it now extensively for the better part of a day there's actually more UI disconnect forced on you - with win8, install a start menu replacement and you could basically avoid the metro poo poo entirely, but the sloppiness and general inadequacy of trying to be an OS to all platforms is unavoidable with Win10

oh search still sucks as well

it's actually worse than win8 :eek:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the only reason I bothered upgrading from win xp to 7 was because most everything I used xp for started getting some really awful support, lots of games needing janitoring to run and even steam was getting buggy on xp. I hope this time around this takes longer to happen, forever would be ideal.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

goddamit crapple just release a decent headless mac - you know, like a mac mini, just not lovely

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

qirex posted:

windows still has sound themes :psyduck:
yeah and it owns

my error sound is a gunshot

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

goddamit crapple just release a decent headless mac - you know, like a mac mini, just not lovely

mac pro still exists

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is this the new obamatar

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
goddamn integrating web search results in the start menu is so loving dumb.

except i have no problem when spotlight does it for some reason :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the thing about when spotlight does it is that the internet results are on/near the very bottom, so if you want them, you scroll down. meanwhile, windows has elevated them to the top/near top, so they end up cluttering your more common local searches

• Locked thread