Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Phuzzy posted:

God bless.

I went to PA's site for the first time in maybe three years to check and see if this was an edited strip, and nope! Gabe has a hand down in pants in the original too. Nice to see that, in spite of the inexorable match of time, Mike and Jerry remain chronologically bolted to their late teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Skippy McPants posted:

I went to PA's site for the first time in maybe three years to check and see if this was an edited strip, and nope! Gabe has a hand down in pants in the original too. Nice to see that, in spite of the inexorable match of time, Mike and Jerry remain chronologically bolted to their late teens.

Isn't that their entire brand gimmick? There's no obligation to aim older if staying a late teen targeted comic lets you roll in money.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They're under no obligation; it's just weird to see stuff that I aged out of like PA, South Park, or Kevin Smith films still ticking along because I wonder who they're for anymore.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Skippy McPants posted:

They're under no obligation; it's just weird to see stuff that I aged out of like PA, South Park, or Kevin Smith films still ticking along because I wonder who they're for anymore.

The exact same demographic they always were for?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

The thousands of man baby's that haven't matured out of it?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

He said, in the thread about a wizard who is also a detective

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

The Fool posted:

Yeah I don't know if you were trying to be sarcastic but uhh.. Have you read Harry Dresden? There are times when he acts like a total goon.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Skippy McPants posted:

While it is true that every year more people age out of their target demographic, it is also true that every year more people age into it.

Failing to remember this is the first sign of getting old, soon you will be complaining about not understanding slang, then music being too loud, and finally that the kids these days don't show any respect and need to get off your lawn

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't like the way Gabe's art style is drifting but I hope I'm never too old to laugh at a dick joke.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Finally all caught up through Foxglove Summer, which was much better than Whispers Under Ground (though I liked Broken Homes even if it felt a little disjointed overall), but gently caress that last chapter. None of the child swapping motives really makes sense, and it's just way to abrupt, though I can't wait to see how Peter belonging to Beverly fucks his life up more.

We've still not had any pay off to Peter's keylogging his computer after he caught Molly on it. It's not like she's emailing the Faerie Queen, though Beverly did say she had friends. If each book is a season, it's been at least three months since he's looked into this, which is annoying, but it's not like he's a good cop or anything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

While it is true that every year more people age out of their target demographic, it is also true that every year more people age into it.

Do they though? It's been my experience that most younger people are into their own sophomoric poo poo and could give less than a gently caress about the sophomoric poo poo their folks were into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Do they though? It's been my experience that most younger people are into their own sophomoric poo poo and could give less than a gently caress about the sophomoric poo poo their folks were into.

It's not equal. There's some stuff which is just about a specific age ground and some stuff which transcends generations. Stuff like Batman or Transformers has remained relevant across multiple generations due to being reinvented and represented constantly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mortanis posted:

Finally all caught up through Foxglove Summer, which was much better than Whispers Under Ground (though I liked Broken Homes even if it felt a little disjointed overall), but gently caress that last chapter. None of the child swapping motives really makes sense, and it's just way to abrupt, though I can't wait to see how Peter belonging to Beverly fucks his life up more.

Fuckin' Faeries are like Magnets, man.

quote:

We've still not had any pay off to Peter's keylogging his computer after he caught Molly on it. It's not like she's emailing the Faerie Queen, though Beverly did say she had friends. If each book is a season, it's been at least three months since he's looked into this, which is annoying, but it's not like he's a good cop or anything.

Yeah, not sure if Peter is ever going to follow up on that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Stuff like Batman or Transformers has remained relevant across multiple generations due to being reinvented and represented constantly.

Of course, of course, plenty of things are broad enough in their appeal to jump from one generation to the next, but we're specifically talking about stuff like PA here. Content created by a specific group of man children catering to a specific group of man children; I'm not really sold on its intergenerational appeal. It's like showing a teenager a Kevin Smith film. I just can't imagine their idiot brains latching onto it the way our idiot brains did when we were that age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Of course, of course, plenty of things are broad enough in their appeal to jump from one generation to the next, but we're specifically talking about stuff like PA here. Content created by a specific group of man children catering to a specific group of man children; I'm not really sold on its intergenerational appeal. It's like showing a teenager a Kevin Smith film. I just can't imagine their idiot brains latching onto it the way our idiot brains did when we were that age.

Penny-Arcade makes dick jokes about video games. That's, while not exactly timeless, also not really limited to a specific demographic unless they go in on nostalgia or something.

Likewise South Park is "headline news" jokes + dick jokes.

Basically the key to surviving the generations is dick jokes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also farts and poop jokes.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sure Kevin Smith films are still popular, along with PA and Family Guy and other similar things are, the way Hot Topic and those stores are still around and in business, cool guy with good taste. But lol at how PA art has gotten worse.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Canterbury Tales has a joke where one guy farts in the face of another guy.

Call it "least common denominator" if you want, but some poo poo is just timeless.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
"Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap."

The world’s oldest joke, a Sumerian proverb from 1900 BC. Yeah. Dick & fart jokes are kinda timeless.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fried Chicken posted:

Call it "least common denominator" if you want, but some poo poo is just timeless.

And the farter dies (?) because the fartee sticks an iron-hot poker through his arsehole.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

I guess. I just sort of assumed that younger generations would move on to newer iterations, but thinking about it I suppose there isn't another web comic that corners topical poo poo about video games the way PA does. Oh, and they've got PAX, which probably helps a ton.

Fried Chicken posted:

Failing to remember this is the first sign of getting old, soon you will be complaining about not understanding slang, then music being too loud, and finally that the kids these days don't show any respect and need to get off your lawn

In any case, this has been me for as long as I can remember, so I'm more or less resigned to it at this point. I seriously remember my brother telling me when I was about fifteen years old that I was destined to be one of those old geezer who would refuse to give the kids their ball back whenever they kicked it over my fence.

Maybe if I play my cards right I can be the antagonist in someone's coming of age story.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The Annihilation Score is out - and it gives closure to a bunch of long-open plot threads. Charlie - or Mo, the POV character - is considerably nicer to a number of roman-a-clef'd Tories than I'd be (though we only really interact with not-Theresa-May) and rather less friendly to the Met than Ben Aaronovich (It's also a bit irritating that the UK editor didn't remove various bits explaining UK cultural things for the foreign audience, but that could just be me)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Every few months I get re-furious about the special short stories only in the RoL Waterstones editions.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I think Max Gladstone's stuff is urban fantasy so a question. Are the books standalone at all? The second one is on sale at Amazon and the blurbs sound pretty different.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SmokinDan posted:

I think Max Gladstone's stuff is urban fantasy so a question. Are the books standalone at all? The second one is on sale at Amazon and the blurbs sound pretty different.
The first two are, the third one connects them. They're all good, though.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Just read the latest (came out today) Charlie Stross Laundry Files. Very disappointed, to be honest.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cultureulterior posted:

Just read the latest (came out today) Charlie Stross Laundry Files. Very disappointed, to be honest.

That's tragic to hear. I'll get to it at some point.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's out already? Good God almighty. I only just finished the Jennifer Morgue on my re read, I thought it was a few months away

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

cultureulterior posted:

I kinda feel the same way. I think it comes down to

1) while he did a very good job giving Mo a distinct voice, character, and viewpoint, the resulting person was someone I actively disliked. I mean I get it, he hints and teases and ties in to explain why she is like that, and it works very well, I just really don't loving like people like that.

2) I figured out the mystery fairly early on, so it made some of the actions grating. Like, since the characters didn't know what was happening, their actions were reasonable-ish (ish because some of them were still flat out unacceptable from spies handling highly classified information for a decade plus). But since I'd pieced together the story, I found it annoying that the characters hadn't. Why they hadn't was fully reasonable given the established biases and limited viewpoint, but still it was harder to work for me

3) while the climax was bigger than the ending of Rhesus Chart, it didn't have anywhere near the emotional resonance RC did. That ending still bothers me when I read it, the cold clinical tones as it describes atrocities happening to characters we've been connected to for 5 books. Here it's almost like Man of Steel or Into Darkness, where there is this terrible climax, but it doesn't go into the tragedy that has unfolded.

It is well written and wraps up a number of plot lines while introducing many more, but it is weaker than previous books, particularly the immediate predecessor

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Huh. Do we just have an innate bias towards geeky manchildren in our urban fantasy?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I am shocked that you had to ask that question (the next book is from the POV of the new vampire PFY if that allays your fears at all)

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

I am shocked that you had to ask that question (the next book is from the POV of the new vampire PFY if that allays your fears at all)
I fear Stross may be asking for too much by expecting us to remember some random schmuck from two books ago, especially when the more prominent vampires were Mhari and that boss dude who died.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Huh. Do we just have an innate bias towards geeky manchildren in our urban fantasy?

more a personal history with someone exactly like that personality; I fully admit to that criticism being the result of pre-existing bias on my part.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mars4523 posted:

More that that's the only thing being written for male audiences in that genre.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any idea when the audiobook for The annihilation Score is coming out?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Did annihilation score come out early in some other region? Cuz it's still showing July 7th for me on Amazon in the USA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Did annihilation score come out early in some other region? Cuz it's still showing July 7th for me on Amazon in the USA.

It came out first in the UK I think?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

came out on the 2nd in the UK. I set my Kindle app to 10 Downing Street and was able to buy it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

came out on the 2nd in the UK. I set my Kindle app to 10 Downing Street and was able to buy it

Wait, poo poo, that works? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, poo poo, that works? :psyduck:

yeah, and my american titles still work just fine

Amazon.com > Your Account > View your Kindle Orders > Settings (tab) > Country Settings (scroll down, 2nd from the top)

click CHANGE and set it to 10 downing street, London, United Kingdom (I had to look up the postal code) and set it. Then go to amazon.co.uk and buy it