Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

Hahaha, okay, here is the actual script excerpt, I screen capped it because it needs to be seen to be believed:

.... :stare:

So why did it have to take people telling Doug that that scene is really hosed up and he didn't realize it as he wrote it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

Hahaha, okay, here is the actual script excerpt, I screen capped it because it needs to be seen to be believed:

:yikes:

I'm suddenly glad I've never watched To Bodly Flee..., even as a cringewatch like I did Kickassia, and now I most certainly never will ever.

Thanks, Lupa! :buddy: And, I'm immeasurably sorry you and Phelan (EDIT: and, Lindsey, and Todd, and FilmBrain, and Brad, and Linkara, and Joe, and Kyle, and JO, and Paw and Maven, and... hell, EVERYONE) ever had anything to do with that whole shitshow.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 3, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MonsieurChoc posted:

Next time they should do Ninja Terminator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLsA_Opybw
gently caress yes. That's my single favorite bad-good movie.

Miss Wallace posted:

I never watched anything by this dude or anything to do with this whole fiasco but it has been so fun watching it all crumble. this is one of the worst things I've ever seen

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

IronicDongz posted:

gently caress yes. That's my single favorite bad-good movie.
I never watched anything by this dude or anything to do with this whole fiasco but it has been so fun watching it all crumble. this is one of the worst things I've ever seen
Seriously, even the most infamous "writers" from we uncovered in the old TvTropes threads would find that a hackjob with a lack of humor and/or subtlety.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I have to admit to not watching any of the movies because they all looked awful. I knew a lot of people that got into them, whatevs, but I look at stuff like this and I'm significantly more creeped out given that these were based on real people and Doug was making them act like this... ugh...

I knew everyone that escaped CA was better off, but stuff like these script snippets (thanks Allison!) just confirm that there is always more and it is always worse.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zedd posted:

Seriously, even the most infamous "writers" from we uncovered in the old TvTropes threads would find that a hackjob with a lack of humor and/or subtlety.

Woah now, let's not say things we can't take back.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yes! It's unfair to the TvTropes writers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Doug will never write a line with the perfect, immortal majesty of 'the dickgirls opened fire'.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
He knew everything. A lot.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If anyone wants two hear two grown men slap fight over asset flipping, Jim Sterling does an interview with the guy who made The Slaughtering Grounds in his podcast.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BigRed0427 posted:

If anyone wants two hear two grown men slap fight over asset flipping, Jim Sterling does an interview with the guy who made The Slaughtering Grounds in his podcast.

I'm listening to the interview right now. It's super cringe-worthy, but :lol: at the dev thinking that this will make him look good.

This could have been an interesting discussion between two people maturely working through their differences, but man this guy is a whiny, defensive baby.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

Yes! It's unfair to the TvTropes writers.

At least they were no-name teenagers writing stuff on a forum on the internet. Doug is moderately successful!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I can believe that the TBF rape scenes was somehow worse before people complain about it. jesus loving Christ doug,

What is the target aduance for doug's films anyways? I mean brad's films have some nasty stuff, but he is basing his films off of exploitations films and it made for people who are fans of that style and it have a set tone of "this is a dark film" . the tone for Doug's movies come off very weird it seem like it goes from PG-13 to hard R. So I guess man-children.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

I can believe that the TBF rape scenes was somehow worse before people complain about it. jesus loving Christ doug,

What is the target aduance for doug's films anyways? I mean brad's films have some nasty stuff, but he is basing his films off of exploitations films and it made for people who are fans of that style and it have a set tone of "this is a dark film" . the tone for Doug's movies come off very weird it seem like it goes from PG-13 to hard R. So I guess man-children.

It's for people in the Pewdiepie age range who find rape hysterically funny and are around 10-12.

Also pretty soon GBS is going to burst in here and post transphobic garbage because they get really angry at how everyone is a sjw who doesn't find rape funny.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's for people in the Pewdiepie age range who find rape hysterically funny and are around 10-12.

Also pretty soon GBS is going to burst in here and post transphobic garbage because they get really angry at how everyone is a sjw who doesn't find rape funny.

Should I just go "Argh, drat you SJWs! :argh:" and make them think someone's already on top of that's?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard Doug once say that one of the ideas for the third anniversary movie was basically "pirates vs ninjas". Not sure if that would have been better or worse than SK.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard Doug once say that one of the ideas for the third anniversary movie was basically "pirates vs ninjas". Not sure if that would have been better or worse than SK.

Probably about the same, just with different outfits/references.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
The obliviousness over the rapey overtones does not surprise me, unfortunately. I'm probably more offended that they thought "resistance is comical" was an actual joke, and I'm not looking it up to see if it actually made it to the final movie.

Another TBF story: When we were shooting the scene where we all think we're going to die on the ship, Doug told me he wanted me to do it with more "whimsy." Holly had to be like "...do you mean wistful??"

EDIT: Oh, and had to add this one:

So we're just about to shoot the fight scene between me, Nostalgia Chick, and Todd. In the scene, I'm slapping Lindsay around and calling her names, which apparently I was just to make up as I went along. As I am the master of improv (in bizzaro world), much of my insults came from suggestions from Doug. Which is why I think "space hussy" ended up in there.

Anyway, Lindsay says she is not comfortable with the scene. Doug proceeds to waffle around for a bit and basically ends up with, "Eeeeeehjustdoit!" (Imagine every Doug sentence ending in a high-pitched squeal, and that is Doug's directing style)

So basically, I have to slap Lindsay around and call her bitch and space hussy and whatever while she is clearly not comfortable with the scene. Pretty much terribly awkward all around. To be fair, I probably should've said something, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 3, 2015

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Miss Wallace posted:

The obliviousness over the rapey overtones does not surprise me, unfortunately. I'm probably more offended that they thought "resistance is comical" was an actual joke, and I'm not looking it up to see if it actually made it to the final movie.

Another TBF story: When we were shooting the scene where we all think we're going to die on the ship, Doug told me he wanted me to do it with more "whimsy." Holly had to be like "...do you mean wistful??"

EDIT: Oh, and had to add this one:

So we're just about to shoot the fight scene between me, Nostalgia Chick, and Todd. In the scene, I'm slapping Lindsay around and calling her names, which apparently I was just to make up as I went along. As I am the master of improv (in bizzaro world), much of my insults came from suggestions from Doug. Which is why I think "space hussy" ended up in there.

Anyway, Lindsay says she is not comfortable with the scene. Doug proceeds to waffle around for a bit and basically ends up with, "Eeeeeehjustdoit!" (Imagine every Doug sentence ending in a high-pitched squeal, and that is Doug's direction style)

So basically, I have to slap Lindsay around and call her bitch and space hussy and whatever while she is clearly not comfortable with the scene. Pretty much terribly awkward all around. To be fair, I probably should've said something, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Jeez, sorry you had to deal with that nonsense :(

I bet it felt REALLY good that your character in TBF was called a "cold wasteland" or whatever because she didn't like Todd's creepy stalker character.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, what the hell was that all about??? I was so confused why I was a bitch all of a sudden. I will say this, the scene previous to that line was my favorite to shoot, with me and Todd in the sleeping bags. It was the only time I felt like it was organic dialogue between two people rather than an awkward setup for a punchline, and I wanted to really *act*, y'know? Funny thing is, Rob told us he didn't write that scene to be dramatic, but they liked our interpretation. I was like...what? Was that supposed to be funny?? Huh???

Thing is, Doug and Rob don't know how to write women. They only know stereotypes, which, in all fairness, is how they write everyone else. But they only know the archetypes, the swoony girly type or the tough bitch. They just saw me in my Reviewaverse Saga stuff and assumed, because I could fight in that particular series, "Obscurus Lupa" must be a tough bitch. Also Doug liked my leather jacket. So, regardless of how my "character" was in my videos, that's how I was in TBF.

One of the anniversaries, I want to say the Brawl, there was originally a pillow fight between two of the girls, and Lindsay said no. You will find many of the worst "girl stories" from the anniversaries end in "Lindsay said no."

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 3, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Miss Wallace posted:

One of the anniversaries, I want to say Kickassia, there was originally a pillow fight between two of the girls, and Lindsay said no. You will find many of the worst "girl stories" from the anniversaries end in "Lindsay said no."

Goddamn it, didn't Doug also want who became Nostalgia Chick to be decided by a pillow fight?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

How did that whole Todd crushing on you running gag thing he dropped a while back originate anyway? Todd as in character, not the actual person.
(That was you right? Or am I mixing you all up. If so I'm sorry. :) )

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Walkers only knowing how to write female stereotypes would explain a lot about the characters Tamara and Rachel had to play in Critic, and why only good moments come from actresses themselves.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Zedd posted:

How did that whole Todd crushing on you running gag thing he dropped a while back originate anyway? Todd as in character, not the actual person.
(That was you right? Or am I mixing you all up. If so I'm sorry. :) )

Yeah it was me. I think originally it was probably because I tended to get contacted for cameos a lot if a girl was needed, ha ha. But Todd's awesome. So, he just came up with the silly running gag that he was stalking me, which apparently turned into everyone on the site was in love with me. :shrug:

Even though it was pretty much done at that point, Doug had a call with me and Todd to ask if we were okay with the inclusion of it in TBF, to give it a conclusion, which is the only creative thing we were asked about. That's also when we found out Doug was killing off the NC, because he mentioned it offhandedly. Otherwise, we wouldn't have known. Most of the people on the site found out when reading the script, or when the movie came out. We also loved the dialogue that hinted that reviews were done forever because the NC was retiring. It's great when they have no regard for your livelihood!

Later, when the producers had a crisis meeting with Rob, Doug, and Mike, I pointed out how all of that came off. Rob said, oblivious, that he didn't even think about it like that, he was just thinking of it as a story. Which is why you ask a fresh eye to look it over who is not you or your brother, but look, producers are to be seen, not heard.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just looked up this movie to see how bad it was and is it really over three hours long? How is that possible?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Doug didn't want to cut any of the hilarious Zod/Turrell scenes, or the Judge Dredd fight, or anything.

Like I was probably one of two people who read the entire script before filming, and even I had to skip all of the loving Turrell/Zod bullshit.

Edit: Oh and if you're wondering how we shot something so long in no time at all, that's why we had like 18 hour days sometimes. And Mike still wanted us to shoot crossovers for them. Doug completely overbooked everything, thinking because they had a crew and more equipment that would somehow make things faster. I want to say we shot it in 9 days, but I could be wrong. All I know is that Holly had to fight them to get 2 extra days. She pretty much saved everyone's asses on several occasions, and she joined the shoot after just having surgery.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 3, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am kind of dying from secondhand embarrassment right now.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Jesus christ, everything just keeps getting worse after each post. :stare:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
These behind the scenes revelations are pretty :stare:

Whenever Youtube tries to recommend me anything from Channel Awesome now, I just can't watch any content from them in good conscience anymore.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Doug didn't want to cut any of the hilarious Zod/Turrell scenes, or the Judge Dredd fight, or anything.

Like I was probably one of two people who read the entire script before filming, and even I had to skip all of the loving Turrell/Zod bullshit.

Edit: Oh and if you're wondering how we shot something so long in no time at all, that's why we had like 18 hour days sometimes. And Mike still wanted us to shoot crossovers for them. Doug completely overbooked everything, thinking because they had a crew and more equipment that would somehow make things faster. I want to say we shot it in 9 days, but I could be wrong. All I know is that Holly had to fight them to get 2 extra days. She pretty much saved everyone's asses on several occasions, and she joined the shoot after just having surgery.

I love that the Judge Dredd fight encompasses two scenes that are nearly identitcal (Doug gets superweapon, goes berserk, machine fails) back to back.

It's the major thing I would argue against with MikeJ's review of To Boldly Flee. He said it was tightly edited, and that is simply not true. The problem is that the job of the editor is simply not understood by a lot of people. The editor takes the footage from the director and crafts the narrative. IMO, the editor is one of the three most important people in the film making process, with the screenwriter and the director.

I agree with MikeJ on a few other points, mostly Doug playing NC and Zod. I'd ask why he did that, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
this sounds like one of the worse vanity projects, i feel bad for even liking TGWTG, I feel bad for everyone involved with that project. my heart go out to all of the goon critics (Lupa, JO, Kyle) and others for even still putting up with this poo poo.

i gived the fuckers 15 dollors for that platinum, and now i wish i spend the money more wisely like slot machines and the Ash snakes fireworks. I feel like I just give money to a drug addict.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

There just didn't need to be that many extraneous characters played by the same person, especially when the cast was already way too big. Hell, there's no real payoff for any character to be there other than the Critic anyway, since we blow up and become irrelevant. If maybe the cyborg plot had turned us against each other and it was like crew against crew, it might've brought everything together a little better.

Also "plot hole" became a running joke for awhile, you can even find it in some of our reviews for a bit after TBF came out. Basically, any time we'd point out something that didn't make sense or should've been fixed, Rob or Doug would jokingly explain it away by saying "Plot hole!" like because they made the "plot hole" part of the story, that meant you don't have to make anything make sense narratively or editing-wise or anything any sensible filmmaker would do.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Compendium posted:

These behind the scenes revelations are pretty :stare:

Whenever Youtube tries to recommend me anything from Channel Awesome now, I just can't watch any contentfrom them in good conscience anymore.

Well you can still watch videos at least. As previously established, no one on Channel Awesome is a true content creator.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I totally encourage you guys to support other CA producers though. I mean, TGWTG is the worst, but the independent producers have nothing to do with that.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I've only seen maybe 10% of the roughly 200 different CA critics, but is there a reason they all seem to follow the exact same format?

Get a silly name, come up with a tag line to say at the beginning, specialize in an area of media, cut between talking to the camera and clips from the work, clips from popular culture/memes, and wacky recurring characters.

A lot of them seem like decent folks but after the first dozen or so I watched, they all seemed to blend together.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Rap Critic is pretty decent, he's still on that site.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

dreezy posted:

I've only seen maybe 10% of the roughly 200 different CA critics, but is there a reason they all seem to follow the exact same format?

Get a silly name, come up with a tag line to say at the beginning, specialize in an area of media, cut between talking to the camera and clips from the work, clips from popular culture/memes, and wacky recurring characters.

A lot of them seem like decent folks but after the first dozen or so I watched, they all seemed to blend together.

Recognition, I suppose. It's something you know, but different. A lot of folks who've left the site, myself included, have changed our styles and found what fits us the best. Sometimes it just takes time.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Well you can still watch videos at least. As previously established, no one on Channel Awesome is a true content creator.

Zing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Man I did not even notice that pun, so disgusted was I by buzzwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Speaking of movies when is the AT4W movie coming out?

Rap Critic is pretty decent, he's still on that site.

Just barely. He has his own website and it seems like it takes weeks for his new episodes to be uploaded to CA.

• Locked thread