Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://notplayed.com/2013/08/27/gamecraft-gender-equality-in-the-games-industry/

its from this. its from 2013. and its from a neutral source. a game dev.

And this quote appears in a Feminist Frequency video? What does this quotation have to do with the Feminist Frequency video series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Jack Gladney posted:

And this quote appears in a Feminist Frequency video? What does this quotation have to do with the Feminist Frequency video series?

It seems to suggest that she thinks criticizing Japanese developers is a lost cause, because America somehow bombed them into a land of boob jiggle physics and tentacle attacks.

I suppose that a convenient enough way to avoid accusations of cultural imperialism that might come after demanding Japan adopt the social mores of modern progressive Americans (not that there aren't a lot of elements of Japanese culture that aren't pretty destructive and archaic).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It seems to suggest that she thinks criticizing Japanese developers is a lost cause, because America somehow bombed them into a land of boob jiggle physics and tentacle attacks.

I suppose that a convenient enough way to avoid accusations of cultural imperialism that might come after demanding Japan adopt the social mores of modern progressive Americans (not that there aren't a lot of elements of Japanese culture that aren't pretty destructive and archaic).

And do the Feminist Frequency videos ignore video games from Japan? Do the videos mention Japanese culture? If so, in what context?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jack Gladney posted:

And do the Feminist Frequency videos ignore video games from Japan? Do the videos mention Japanese culture? If so, in what context?

You are pretty fixated on the Feminist Frequency Videos. Maybe the discussion is veering from the videos to the author herself?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
actually it seems to mostly be focusing on rumour and innuendo

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cowman posted:

I seriously wonder how much input McIntosh has on the videos and tweets. My main problem is that I attribute the ridiculous tweets to him since he's way more vocal about his absurd views than her. If she fired him, which probably will never happen, what would change?

If she supports such views, she might be aware that they are on the more fringe side and soften them to appeal to a much larger audience. Some people do this to have the foundations for her views spread. If she doesn't, such views would disappear. Or nothing could change as she supports the views wholeheartedly and doesn't care what the implications for her popularity are.

Honestly, there is little choice but to accept them as hers, since there is really no way to tell one way or the other. More and more people are doing this, since while they realize they might be McIntosh's, there isn't any way to parse them besides context. And it has occurred often enough where it is no longer the exception, but the norm.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 3, 2015

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

This thread was a mistake, Ralp.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

COBRARocky posted:

Yeah but it's a hilarious mistake.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

COBRARocky posted:

It's not the thread we wanted, but the thread we needed.

There were those who thought they could debate this, this gamergate thing, and come out with their sanity intact.

Now they know.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I think this thread is pretty interesting. My understanding was that the race critique on witcher was really just about a single game but some actually took their time to explain it to me as being singularly non-consequential but in games as a whole indicative of lack of representation.

I agree that representation of all kinds of people and their stories would be really cool but most of the time the critique comes off as attacking a single game instead of speaking about the problem as a whole, admittedly I have not read that article by Tauriq Moosa and it apparently was about the broad view, not just one game.

Still, people getting hung up on just one game like witcher or that czech game just make it, at least to me, that it really is just about those singular games. The problem, as I've understood is industry wide and I'm glad theres discussion and using examples is important but is it important to engage in screaming matches with the developer on Twitter how he doesn't know his country's history?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

COBRARocky posted:

Look upon the bad thread and despair, for it is the shape of your psyche.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

punakone posted:

I think this thread is pretty interesting. My understanding was that the race critique on witcher was really just about a single game but some actually took their time to explain it to me as being singularly non-consequential but in games as a whole indicative of lack of representation.

I agree that representation of all kinds of people and their stories would be really cool but most of the time the critique comes off as attacking a single game instead of speaking about the problem as a whole, admittedly I have not read that article by Tauriq Moosa and it apparently was about the broad view, not just one game.

All these people demanding representation are just wasting their time, they should pick up the tools and make a game representing whatever they like, because if done by outsiders it'll end up some dumb stereotype. Russians did it, Polish did it, Turks did it, Czechs plan to do it, entry barriers have never been lower really.
Also I realized a very important thing on last few pages of the thread: the old probation avatar was way better than the new one.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Jack Gladney posted:

Japanese properties aren't covered, not as far as I can remember. I suppose it's because she views them as a lost cause due to the influence of American imperialism. That is, unless you choose not to believe first hand accounts of her being asked about Japan because they don't fit your narrative.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

All these people demanding representation are just wasting their time, they should pick up the tools and make a game representing whatever they like, because if done by outsiders it'll end up some dumb stereotype. Russians did it, Polish did it, Turks did it, Czechs plan to do it, entry barriers have never been lower really.
Also I realized a very important thing on last few pages of the thread: the old probation avatar was way better than the new one.

I'd love for femfreq to make a game.

it will be nitpicked asunder by the internet though

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Japanese properties aren't covered, not as far as I can remember. I suppose it's because she views them as a lost cause due to the influence of American imperialism. That is, unless you choose not to believe first hand accounts of her being asked about Japan because they don't fit your narrative.

Do Zelda and Mario not count as Japanese now or something?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'd love for femfreq to make a game.

it will be nitpicked asunder by the internet though

A group of female space marines with massive muscles, neon hair, and full body armor save the universe from an imperialist alien army using nothing but Tweets. Using weapons results in an immediate game over, since any violence would be an expression of toxic masculinity (even in self-defense).

The aliens slaughter you within seconds, but at least you can be secure in the knowledge that you're were a good person as your entrails are pulled from your body.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Do Zelda and Mario not count as Japanese now or something?

Oh yeah, I guess she did mention those while covering the save-the-princess cliche. I was thinking specifically of the more animu-y properties like Final Fantasy and the like, which are way more likely to include things that would be considered a no-no to a foreign social activist.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i was thinking more like the Batman Arkham games except instead of violence you just swoop in and try and talk people out of fighting through de-escalation

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

A group of female space marines with massive muscles, neon hair, and full body armor save the universe from an imperialist alien army using nothing but Tweets. Using weapons results in an immediate game over, since any violence would be an expression of toxic masculinity (even in self-defense).

The aliens slaughter you within seconds, but at least you can be secure in the knowledge that you're were a good person as your entrails are pulled from your body.
I know you're joking, but I'm sure there actually are a bunch of people a lot like what you're parodying here - people for whom gaming is inherently violent, and games are usually about problems for which the most obvious answer is violence.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Wemus posted:

i was thinking more like the Batman Arkham games except instead of violence you just swoop in and try and talk people out of fighting through de-escalation
Monkey Island I?

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
^^ I don't think insult sword fighting will de-escalate things. :v:

Uncle Wemus posted:

What do you mean with swooping. I mean gliding is a pretty dangerous activity without proper training and equipment especially in a urban area with all the different currents. And swinging with a rope can lead to torn ligaments and other inguries. Somebody could get the idea to replicate these activities in real life without proper preperation and training.

hwordhan fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 3, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hwordhan posted:

^^ I don't think insult sword fighting will de-escalate things. :v:

What do you mean with swooping. I mean gliding is a pretty dangerous activity without proper training and equipment especially in a urban area with all the different currents. And swinging with a rope can lead to torn ligaments and other inguries. Somebody could get the idea to replicate these activities in real life without proper preperation and training.
You're what Stewart Lee is making fun of here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s19HBs-6A

Edit: stupid auto parser. The bit starts at 3:00.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Ha! Eyewitness accounts? Factual statements?YOU KNOW NOTHING OF *~cRiTiCaL*~*tHeOrY~*

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If that's actually an accurate quote, it's terribly dumb. It's not as if Imperial Japan was on a shining path of progress before Hiroshima.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I know you're joking, but I'm sure there actually are a bunch of people a lot like what you're parodying here - people for whom... games are usually about problems for which the most obvious answer is violence.

Are you trying to suggest that they are not?

Pyromancer posted:

Yeah let me just grab 32 million dollars from my bank and I'm sure I'll instantly have a wildly successful IP

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Yeah man, in what Sci-fi story has conflict ever been resolved by talking?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah let me just grab 32 million dollars from my bank and I'm sure I'll instantly have a wildly successful IP

Even managed by Tim Schafer and staffed by highly paid bay area hipsters, you could make a decent game for 10% of that.
Ok, half of a game.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm not sure that I understand. You're saying that no Japanese video games appear in the Feminist Frequency video series because the people who make it consider the American influence over Japanese culture so great that Japan is a lost cause? If this is true, does that also mean that she would avoid American video games? Are you sure that there are no Japanese video games in the Feminist Frequency videos?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Oh yeah, I guess she did mention those while covering the save-the-princess cliche. I was thinking specifically of the more animu-y properties like Final Fantasy and the like, which are way more likely to include things that would be considered a no-no to a foreign social activist.

What are you arguing for exactly? Bear in mind that both Zelda and Final Fantasy are effectively Western stories filtered through a local lens, only with the former having a more international appeal. The second video (Damsels in distress pt.2) mentions DMC4, which is every terrible thing about anime in one tidy package.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

What are you arguing for exactly? Bear in mind that both Zelda and Final Fantasy are effectively Western stories filtered through a local lens, only with the former having a more international appeal. The second video (Damsels in distress pt.2) mentions DMC4, which is every terrible thing about anime in one tidy package.

One tidy AWESOME package.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Dang I can't believe the east appropriated the story of a lone fighter finding magical weapons that help him save a woman/beat a monster. How could they disgrace white culture like this.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So what do you guys think of Jennifer Dawe's game being boycotted by Anti-GG? Do you think its odd that the creators political leanings are starting to influence game purchasing?

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

Exmond posted:

So what do you guys think of Jennifer Dawe's game being boycotted by Anti-GG? Do you think its odd that the creators political leanings are starting to influence game purchasing?

Not anymore than when people stopped going to Chik-Fil-A for the creator being anti-gay marriage.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Not an Owl posted:

Not anymore than when people stopped going to Chik-Fil-A for the creator being anti-gay marriage.

Or the people who started going to Chik-Fil-A for the same reason.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Exmond posted:

Not really. People boycott things all the time for the silliest reasons.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

I know you're joking, but I'm sure there actually are a bunch of people a lot like what you're parodying here - people for whom gaming is inherently violent, and games are usually about problems for which the most obvious answer is violence.

Isn't this actually true of most games though?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Exmond posted:

The invisible hand of the free market, dude.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hello not-Hellthread, is this still about acting deliberately obtuse so people who care about this would post long winded arguments until they melt down so you can ridicule and possibly probate them?

Jack Gladney posted:

...yes, it still is.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Bholder posted:

Hello not-Hellthread, is this still about acting deliberately obtuse so people who care about this would post long winded arguments until they melt down so you can ridicule and possibly probate them?

Those poor melties :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663824&userid=118075
Supermechagodzilla's posts on GG. I think they're great. If you're a gamergater: read them, he hates "SJW liberalism"!

circ dick soleil posted:

Isn't this actually true of most games though?
I guess so.

I should have said something like "will always, necessarily be usually about violence" etc.

• Locked thread