Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think you can hold Duke/King/Emperor titles if you don't have any County level titles to physically exist. That's one of the few ways you can destroy titles without actually doing so yourself.

She should have inherited the counties of her father though? It's really strange.

Farquar posted:

I'm pretty new to this game. My grandson and heir is the king of Castille and he declares war on his brother, the king of Leon. I'd like to have a bigger kingdom when I die, so I join him as an ally. Suddenly, he dies of leprosy and his brother becomes my heir. Now I'm allied with a kid at war with my own heir. Is there anything I can do to get out of this war or switch sides? The "Offer to join King Julian the Fat" button is greyed out.

I already pulled my troops out but now I'm sitting here watching my future kingdom burn. Some holdings were even occupied by me.

What kind of war is it? If your grandson had pressed a personal claim on his brother, it should have ended with his death. And who is the new guy on whose side you are fighting on? He must somehow be allied to you as well, or you would have left he war.

It's unlikely that you can get out of the war, simply stop fighting for them and hope they lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBlackRoija posted:

Yeah it's exploity, I was just pointing it out because your post kind of implied it wasn't possible. There was definitely a Nantes start that did it in 25 years or less, and that's a single county count start that was entirely conquest based, plenty of exploits but none to just inherit half the map.

I agree that telling people they are playing the game wrong for using the console is dumb, but telling people they are playing the game wrong for using exploits or because they like nk or whatever is just as dumb.
What other people do in their single player doesn't bother me for some reason.

Doesn't bother me either, I just was just sayin'.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Torrannor posted:

She should have inherited the counties of her father though? It's really strange.

Maybe ducal inheritance set to Agnatic, but kingdom to Agnatic-Cognatic?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Red Mike posted:

Maybe ducal inheritance set to Agnatic, but kingdom to Agnatic-Cognatic?

The duchy that comprised most of the kingdom ended up inherited by my wife's younger sister, with my wife as the heir now. :shrug:

I'm at work so can't check anything atm, but I remember looking and the Kingdom was Ag-Cog Gavelkind.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hargrimm posted:

The duchy that comprised most of the kingdom ended up inherited by my wife's younger sister, with my wife as the heir now. :shrug:

gavelkind.txt

That sounds like an easily solved problem

:ese:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

The duchy that comprised most of the kingdom ended up inherited by my wife's younger sister, with my wife as the heir now.
How nice for her, it's a shame this duchy is known for its snakes, bandits, poor roads and shoddy carpentry.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

How nice for her, it's a shame this duchy is known for its snakes, bandits, poor roads and shoddy carpentry.

And manure.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Torrannor posted:

What kind of war is it? If your grandson had pressed a personal claim on his brother, it should have ended with his death. And who is the new guy on whose side you are fighting on? He must somehow be allied to you as well, or you would have left he war.

It's unlikely that you can get out of the war, simply stop fighting for them and hope they lose.

It's a Castilian claim on Leon. The new leader is my great grandson. Why he's not my new heir instead of my enemy grandson, I don't know. This is just what my councilors tell me. I'm just an 81 year old woman and I'm tired.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

OK, so I invited a guy with heritable claims to my court. I kill his wife secretly. I succeed, but the guy goes back to his old court and gets married again. WTF?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did he matrilineally marry someone in that other court?

Why not declare war for his claim and then kill his wife after or during the war?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Did he matrilineally marry someone in that other court?

Why not declare war for his claim and then kill his wife after or during the war?

I don't think so. I was planning to matrilineally marry him to a relative so I could get his claim without giving him a title. I may have invited his wife to my court, but I think I know that wouldn't work.

(Not 100% sure how inheriting claims works yet...)

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I haven't played CK2 in several months. Just saw Horse Lords was announced and I wanna play again. Is HIP still a solid CK2+-style mod that makes stuff a little more difficult without completely changing poo poo?

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

DrPop posted:

I haven't played CK2 in several months. Just saw Horse Lords was announced and I wanna play again. Is HIP still a solid CK2+-style mod that makes stuff a little more difficult without completely changing poo poo?

HIP changes a lot of poo poo. I like it, but it does have a completely new map that's missing India but has like 200 extra provinces. It also slows the game down quite a bit by introducing cool downs on just about every CB. I'd recommend it, but probably check the paradox plaza thread and be judicious with which modules you use.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

mythomanic posted:

HIP changes a lot of poo poo. I like it, but it does have a completely new map that's missing India but has like 200 extra provinces.

Well that's loving stupid. Why not just keep India in if you're going to bloat up Europe anyways?

Oh wait, because they're xenophobes, that's why.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

If you get HIP, do not install VIET events.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well that's loving stupid. Why not just keep India in if you're going to bloat up Europe anyways?

That's the SWMH map. It's optional, thank god, because I can't stand it.

And the actual reason they took India out was... actually, they didn't, the map was made before India ever happened and they just never updated it. Plenty of xenophones in Paradox forums, I know, but this one's just a case of "can't be arsed to update it for another subcontinent."

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe
Are vikings coded to prioritize raiding the player, or is just confirmation bias because I can't see them raiding everyone else.

It just seems that Iget like a million popups a minute about raiders, no matter where in the world I am at the moment. Like, seriously? India is a more valuable target than ALL the rest of europe that is right by your door?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Are vikings coded to prioritize raiding the player, or is just confirmation bias because I can't see them raiding everyone else.

It just seems that Iget like a million popups a minute about raiders, no matter where in the world I am at the moment. Like, seriously? India is a more valuable target than ALL the rest of europe that is right by your door?

:stare: How are you getting Vikings in India?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

It's the latter. Vikings are raiding pretty much all the time and there are a lot of them.

It's retarded and pretty bullshit that even after your empire has slaughtered 139 Viking raiding parties in a row they just keep right on sending 'em. THAT part is by design and just there to annoy the player.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's the latter. Vikings are raiding pretty much all the time and there are a lot of them.

It's retarded and pretty bullshit that even after your empire has slaughtered 139 Viking raiding parties in a row they just keep right on sending 'em. THAT part is by design and just there to annoy the player.

The big thing about vikings as well is that most of the time the AI won't bother to deal with them, so they might have already hit half a dozen other counties before getting to yours.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
They must just be there to nerf merchant republics, they always destroy the trade posts when they siege them, so you have to constantly be on the lookout for the little fuckers. It's actually one of the reasons Norse republics are so good, you never have to worry about them and they kill competition.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I'm a relatively new player and I would like some advice on a situation I have.

I'm the King of Wales and Ireland and I also have some territory in Scotland. The Pope called a Crusade against Finland and I wasn't in a war and wasn't planning on being in one for several years, so I decided to summon all 18k of my dudes and go crusading. I showed up before the Pope and aside from him, no one else showed up. I split my army into 3 parts and started sieging and battling armies. Most of the counties were single holding counties so this went quickly. I got my warscore up to 100% and all of a sudden I am the King of Finland with a demesne of 18/7 after the Pope calls victory. I got everything in the Kingdom of Finland aside from 2 counties in Karelia.

I have 11 counties and 2 duchies to give away. How should I give away all this land? Do I need a Finnish county in my demesne to keep the King of Finland title?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Pivotal Lever posted:

I'm a relatively new player and I would like some advice on a situation I have.

I'm the King of Wales and Ireland and I also have some territory in Scotland. The Pope called a Crusade against Finland and I wasn't in a war and wasn't planning on being in one for several years, so I decided to summon all 18k of my dudes and go crusading. I showed up before the Pope and aside from him, no one else showed up. I split my army into 3 parts and started sieging and battling armies. Most of the counties were single holding counties so this went quickly. I got my warscore up to 100% and all of a sudden I am the King of Finland with a demesne of 18/7 after the Pope calls victory. I got everything in the Kingdom of Finland aside from 2 counties in Karelia.

I have 11 counties and 2 duchies to give away. How should I give away all this land? Do I need a Finnish county in my demesne to keep the King of Finland title?

Nope. Give away all the Finnish territory (Finland is the worst kingdom in the game) and you can keep the king title. The Finnish lords should be your vassals.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Through the magic of Hyperbole.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

They're tenacious fuckers, I've gotten them in Taurica before.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They're tenacious fuckers, I've gotten them in Taurica before.

Vikings in India are very strange, since you can't sail there at all if you don't own land around the Arabian Sea.

Vikings in Taurica are normal, since you can just sail down the big rivers in the Eastern European steppe. In fact, when I'm playing Norse in that time frame, I often alternate between raiding Byzantine and Italian lands.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Midnight Voyager posted:

And the actual reason they took India out was... actually, they didn't, the map was made before India ever happened and they just never updated it. Plenty of xenophones in Paradox forums, I know, but this one's just a case of "can't be arsed to update it for another subcontinent."

Ah, so they're just lazy fucks, got it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Basically. Also, if they gave India the same treatment, can you loving imagine the performance drain? It may be for the best for their weird little userbase that they never update.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
How might one switch from being a Merchant Republic to being Feudal?

I succeeded in my Viking Merchanty plans, but I am missing being a KING.

Do I designate an heir and give him a castle title?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

I Love Annie May posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

HIP is poo poo. :colbert:

I mean, it's cool that a bunch of mods were semi-merged together for maximum compatibility but holy hell is it unfun to play with all of them.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
HIP has a lot of problems, but it has so much more content than boring vanilla that you're the dumb one for not playing it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Back To 99 posted:

HIP has a lot of problems, but it has so much more content than boring vanilla that you're the dumb one for not playing it.

Yes because I am so incredibly interested in my Character's every day life... like brushing his teeth....
But more content directly correlates to fun right? Even if that content would boil down to a detailed event chain of how your king copes with his violent diarrhea.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Groogy posted:

Yes because I am so incredibly interested in my Character's every day life... like brushing his teeth....
But more content directly correlates to fun right? Even if that content would boil down to a detailed event chain of how your king copes with his violent diarrhea.

You can turn off the things you don't want, you know :ssh:

Edit: I can understand not using mods if they're pure poo poo, but basic HIP without all the extra crap just improves on things. If you don't like that, why do you buy DLCs and install patches? Wiz's CK2+ was the best mod when he still ran it, and it had no extra dumb stuff.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 3, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Groogy posted:

Man, if only there was a way one could disable the bad parts of HIP and keep the good ones like Project Balance, Extended Mechanics and Flavor, NBRT+ and ARKO. Too bad that will never come to pass...

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Don't forget periodic events involving eating big, juicy cocks.

(Nothing screams "realism" like getting a "good food" modifier that lasts for a loving year.)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Man, if only there was a way one could disable the bad parts of HIP and keep the good ones like Project Balance, Extended Mechanics and Flavor, NBRT+ and ARKO. Too bad that will never come to pass...
You know i have read the EMF description a few times and the person writing the description of that mod is trying really hard to be as verbose a possible while doing the best job ever not telling me what the drat mod does. All i got out of the 5000 words description is "less random event adding removing traits, more choices impacting your traits". "Overhaul mod with a focus upon quality, coherency, plausibility, and dynamism" is so descriptive, how about some example of the changes in the mod so i can know if i want it. Then i realized the changelog was hidden in the fourth post.

vvvv i tried using it once, then i saw the France and Italian provinces and said NOPE, let's use the default one. I can deal with bad historical geography but oversperged map with like 6 provinces for Genoa alone? I will pass.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 3, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've always found the HIP map to be ugly as gently caress.

In fact most mods that change the map tend to be ugly as gently caress (exception being After the End.)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Toplowtech posted:

You know i have read the EMF description a few times and the person writing the description of that mod is trying really hard to be as verbose a possible while doing the best job ever not telling me what the drat mod does. All i got out of the 5000 words description is "less random event adding removing traits, more choices impacting your traits". "Overhaul mod with a focus upon quality, coherency, plausibility, and dynamism" is so descriptive, how about some example of the changes in the mod so i can know if i want it. Then i realized the changelog was hidden in the fourth post.

Yeah, that's kind of an issue. I personally found the Wiki page to be a good source of "what does this mod actually do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that's kind of an issue. I personally found the Wiki page to be a good source of "what does this mod actually do".
Yes, that's should be in the first post, "here is a list of what we concretely change with the mod". But no i have to read 3 long posts before finding a link to a changelist.

• Locked thread