Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Ambrosia hails from a very specific period in the 90s when shareware was on the decline but digital marketplaces had yet to emerge, so I guess anyone developing games of that scale, especially on the Mac, could kinda arbitrarily pull prices out of thin air and get away with it. Maybe developers like that just never catch up, or never feel the need to bother. For what it's worth I think Ambrosia long since switched entirely to mobile app development.

It's a shame too because while I doubt they really move too many copies of Escape Velocity: Nova at $30 a pop in 2015 via their website alone, they could probably do really well for themselves on Steam cutting the price to $10 or $15, especially now that space sandbox games are resurgent. Feels like they're leaving money on the table. I for one would buy it again at that price and with Steam support in a hot second.

If you're looking for something similar to Nova that is on Steam and is also only about $15, I've heard good things about VoidExpanse.

It's interesting to compare them to Spiderweb Software which was also in the 90s shareware/demoware/Mac porting scene yet Vogel basically went in the opposite direction and fully embraced digital distribution platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah, and interestingly Vogel quickly warmed up to the idea of cutting prices and relying on sales volume for revenue, despite having contrary ideas at first.

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you are looking for a good space trading game that doesn't sacrifice content for graphics, look toward Escape Velocity: Nova.

I have really, really fond memories of EV: Nova. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I re-played it today, but the writing and world-building in that game was absolutely top-notch, and aside from some issues with figuring out how to progress along quest lines and some technical problems with it being a fairly poor port from apple platforms, it was all-around excellent. If they released a touched up version on Steam that plays nice with modern computers, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 3, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Delsaber posted:

Ambrosia hails from a very specific period in the 90s when shareware was on the decline but digital marketplaces had yet to emerge, so I guess anyone developing games of that scale, especially on the Mac, could kinda arbitrarily pull prices out of thin air and get away with it. Maybe developers like that just never catch up, or never feel the need to bother. For what it's worth I think Ambrosia long since switched entirely to mobile app development.

It's a shame too because while I doubt they really move too many copies of Escape Velocity: Nova at $30 a pop in 2015 via their website alone, they could probably do really well for themselves on Steam cutting the price to $10 or $15, especially now that space sandbox games are resurgent. Feels like they're leaving money on the table. I for one would buy it again at that price and with Steam support in a hot second.

If you're looking for something similar to Nova that is on Steam and is also only about $15, I've heard good things about VoidExpanse.

I was looking at VoidExpanse but the negative reviews say it's really light on content right now. Maybe I'll revisit it once some more mods come out.

My main hangup with most space sims is that thanks to EVE Online et. al so many of them are obsessed with the mining and resource collection aspects like they're the most mindblowing things in the world.

Edit: Have any of y'all played Drox Operative? That seems to be getting at the core of what I'm looking for the most.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 3, 2015

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

exquisite tea posted:

Edit: Have any of y'all played Drox Operative? That seems to be getting at the core of what I'm looking for the most.

I've always thought Drox Operative is kinda neat. It's basically just straight up Space Diablo but you're some jobber in the middle of a big ol 4X game between empires. It's an interesting dynamic to play around with, but I feel it gets kinda samey after a point. I would definitely check out the demo before buying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I was looking at VoidExpanse but the negative reviews say it's really light on content right now. Maybe I'll revisit it once some more mods come out.

My main hangup with most space sims is that thanks to EVE Online et. al so many of them are obsessed with the mining and resource collection aspects like they're the most mindblowing things in the world.

To be fair to EVE, mining and resource collecting have always been strongly tied to the genre.

The big thing for me has always been simulating the feeling of being the captain of a ship's crew and Into the Stars just popped on my radar. It hits Early Access next week and I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't get orenshika's systems, everything seems random and heck. I married my dud to a dragon lady though, so that's fun

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, it seems like all modern space sim games just miss the mark for me. Just give me a little ship to upgrade, aliens to talk to, and a vast galaxy to explore without all the spreadsheet bullshit and boring-rear end resource management. Be chill, no need for a thousand laser guns.

Elite: Dangerous is like that. No need to fight, you can just take your unarmed explorer out to see the galaxy. Out there you'll only see other people if you visit some of the major sightseeing-sights, like the Great Annihilator or the Crab Nebula.

If you want aliens, you'll have to wait a couple months, though. They're promised as "they are coming" for half an eternity by now, but still nothing. :sigh:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Anyway to break up JRPG chat for a second, I started playing through Dragon Age: Origins on PC for the first time since it's the only Bioware game I've ever managed to enjoy.

I've been getting a lot of glitches with NPCs just vanishing mid cutscene and whatever my character is doing with his arms here. I'm beginning to think playing as a Dwarf Wizard broke the game.

Nah that's just the Dwarfs in general. I think they just used the same animations for dwarfs as they did for other sized races and didn't account for the slight changes in proportions they put in for the MC ending up with sections where crossing your arms puts your hands straight through one another.

Man I loved DA for the sheer amount of graphical glitches that ruined scenes. If you played a ranged and summoned a companion the game just freezes their model and leaves it on screen resulting in some amazing cutscenes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Golden Goat posted:

Nah that's just the Dwarfs in general. I think they just used the same animations for dwarfs as they did for other sized races and didn't account for the slight changes in proportions they put in for the MC ending up with sections where crossing your arms puts your hands straight through one another.

Man I loved DA for the sheer amount of graphical glitches that ruined scenes. If you played a ranged and summoned a companion the game just freezes their model and leaves it on screen resulting in some amazing cutscenes.

Back when I played it on the 360 everyone's face disappeared during the final cutscene. So my warden's funeral was attended by a bunch of floating eye and mouth monsters. It was kind of horrifying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Golden Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDanX-beShQ

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So as someone who loved Mother 3 but had mixed feelings about Earthbound ( negative due to the lack of story and general boringness, while the positive due to quirkiness and memorable settings), will I enjoy Earthbound Beginnings?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, it seems like all modern space sim games just miss the mark for me. Just give me a little ship to upgrade, aliens to talk to, and a vast galaxy to explore without all the spreadsheet bullshit and boring-rear end resource management. Be chill, no need for a thousand laser guns.

Libluini posted:

Elite: Dangerous is like that. No need to fight, you can just take your unarmed explorer out to see the galaxy. Out there you'll only see other people if you visit some of the major sightseeing-sights, like the Great Annihilator or the Crab Nebula.

If you want aliens, you'll have to wait a couple months, though. They're promised as "they are coming" for half an eternity by now, but still nothing. :sigh:

Space Engineers is also kinda maybe slowwwly getting towards this. Like Elite: Dangerous it's still a long ways off though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So as someone who loved Mother 3 but had mixed feelings about Earthbound ( negative due to the lack of story and general boringness, while the positive due to quirkiness and memorable settings), will I enjoy Earthbound Beginnings?

Unlikely. Mother 1 is like a much more basic Earthbound.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Back when I played it on the 360 everyone's face disappeared during the final cutscene. So my warden's funeral was attended by a bunch of floating eye and mouth monsters. It was kind of horrifying.

I got the bear glitch I mentioned during the whole Loghain duel thing. pretty much the entire seriousness of that scene drained away when my characters head looked like it was coming out of the bears rear end.

More games need really funny and dumb glitches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

I got the bear glitch I mentioned during the whole Loghain duel thing. pretty much the entire seriousness of that scene drained away when my characters head looked like it was coming out of the bears rear end.

More games need really funny and dumb glitches.

Unfortunately a lot of that generally comes from bugs on customized/idiosyncratic engines (like the spaghetti code that is Red Dead Redemption), so you won't really see it happen on most games just using Unreal and the like.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Anyone know anything about Legend of Legacy from Atlus? Other than the dumb name I am intrigued, I'm always looking for 3ds RPGs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hackan Slash posted:

Anyone know anything about Legend of Legacy from Atlus? Other than the dumb name I am intrigued, I'm always looking for 3ds RPGs.

It's a SaGa game.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

corn in the bible posted:

It's a SaGa game.

Is it a good SaGa game? Which one is out most like? I've played the one on the PS with Gustav (?) and liked it until I hit a huge difficulty jump.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Libluini posted:

I haven't gotten into Dangerous but I'm interested to see where they go with aliens. Especially considering canonically there's a race of horny cat people that are turned on by human sweat.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
May not be the best thread to ask this, but did anyone get the Android port of Final Fantasy Tactics? I'm wondering how the slowdown is, and how stable it is (there are some reviews that mention crashing issues, and that concerns me).

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Hackan Slash posted:

Is it a good SaGa game? Which one is out most like? I've played the one on the PS with Gustav (?) and liked it until I hit a huge difficulty jump.
It looks more like the Romancing SaGa games. What you played is SaGa Frontier 2, which is pretty different from everything else in the series. (I hated it, but some people swear by it. :shrug: )

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
EV Nova was really well-built but I had more fun with Override just because it was more open quest-wise and had lots of weird alien factions. Someone did build a complete overhaul mod for Nova that turned it into Override. I never tried it but that would be the way to play Override on PC.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 3, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I haven't gotten into Dangerous but I'm interested to see where they go with aliens. Especially considering canonically there's a race of horny cat people that are turned on by human sweat.

The only alien race confirmed are the insectoid Thargoids, though. They and their sweet-rear end crystalline ships blasting us into small, irregular formed pieces of space dust. :v:

David Braben: "They're coming."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Delsaber posted:

Ehh it's not that great

A lot of repetition in general.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

bloodychill posted:

EV Nova was really well-built but I had more fun with Override just because it was more open quest-wise and had lots of weird alien factions. Someone did build a complete overhaul mod for Nova that turned it into Override. I never tried it but that would be the way to play Override on PC.

Playing Override that way would also take advantage of Nova's engine enhancements, I imagine.

I think the original Escape Velocity was modded into Nova the same way, but that one probably hasn't aged quite as well thanks to the relatively threadbare quests and scenario, not to mention all the pop culture references. It literally had a planet "Arrakis" in the "Dune" system, among other things.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Delsaber posted:

Playing Override that way would also take advantage of Nova's engine enhancements, I imagine.

I think the original Escape Velocity was modded into Nova the same way, but that one probably hasn't aged quite as well thanks to the relatively threadbare quests and scenario, not to mention all the pop culture references. It literally had a planet "Arrakis" in the "Dune" system, among other things.

I think there was a Beeblebrox planet in a Zaphod system where the description mentioned multi-headed aliens. It was a fun silly game at the time, but yeah, compared to Override and Nova, it just didn't have much to do and it cribbed every quest and bit of lore from something else in a very obvious way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm going to have to buy a PS4 for two games coming out, Nier 2 and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. So are there any other good RPGs, Japanese or not, on it that I can't get on PC? Aside from Final Fantasy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If you consider *Souls games to be RPGs, there's Bloodborne. There's Natural Doctrine, an obtuse Japanese SRPG, which some people seem to really like...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

goty omega quintet

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It looks more like the Romancing SaGa games. What you played is SaGa Frontier 2, which is pretty different from everything else in the series. (I hated it, but some people swear by it. :shrug: )

Saga Frontier 2 is probably my favorite, so I'm one of those folks. I 100%ed Saga Frontier 1 when I was young and had tons of time but it's hard for me to go back to again. SF2 just has a wonderful aesthetic, a great soundtrack and does some cool thematic things with the historical narrative. I can see why folks didn't care for it in comparison though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-famicom-exclusive-rpg-romancing-saga-fan-translated-into-english.html

Romancing Saga 1 translation out

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is Monster World IV? Worth the $9 on the Wii VC?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Wow this game's hard as poo poo and it doesn't explain anything. This'll be fun!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

C

The Machine posted:

Wow this game's hard as poo poo and it doesn't explain anything. This'll be fun!

Classic Saga.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
FF7 update: I applied that translation patch anyway because the game kept crashing, and that seemed to fix it. Just comparing the dialogue in the drat scene that kept crashing it's night and day. People talk like humans now, and I can understand Big Dad.

Also the protag reads like a Terminator now in some scenes and it's hilarious. "Make me some clothes."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Nuebot posted:

Skies of Arcadia was still better than most of those. I'm still hoping they'll port it over to steam like they did a few other dreamcast games.

I really can't believe the airship combat in that game wasn't used by anything else ever. I would have loved for a Suikoden game to have combat involving airships.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

V-Men posted:

I really can't believe the airship combat in that game wasn't used by anything else ever. I would have loved for a Suikoden game to have combat involving airships.

A sea-based version of Skies' airship combat would've been a straight upgrade from Suikoden IV's naval battles, to say the least.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I don't know if this is the best thread to ask this, but I've been thinking about a couple of obscure RPGs I played a long time ago that I've since forgotten the names of, and despite googling extensively for possible references to them, I can't pin anything down. So I'm hoping some of you fine gamers can help me out a bit here.

The first one I played in the early 00's, perhaps around 2001-03, and was similar in style to Neverwinter Nights, with 3D graphics and a fully rotatable camera, although I don't think you could zoom in as much as with NWN. I remember that the game had more of an ancient/classical setting as opposed to the medieval settings a lot of fantasy games typically have. Indeed, I distinctly remember your character starts off with a copper dagger (or possibly shortsword), and the first part of the game was a wilderness area where you fought mostly animals and barbarians. You started off with one guy, although you could get followers eventually (don't recall how many, though).

Crafting was a big part of the game, where you collected various kinds of metal (it went from copper all the way up to fantasy metals like mithril and something I think the game called 'meteoric'), and even different grades of animal bones and skins I believe, to make weapons and armour. I remember thinking that was kind of a big deal for the time since I don't really think too many RPGs, certainly not single-player ones, had crafting systems that extensive. One of the first weapons I made was a special kind of composite bow that used bone and wood. I remember thinking that seemed really incredible that I actually took an animal's bones and wood from a tree and slapped it together to make a bow - something I'd never done in an RPG before. I know that probably sounds dumb, but you've got to remember this whole idea of making your own weapons in this sort of game was very new to me at the time, and I didn't play MMOs, so even if it was common in them, I had no point of reference for that.

It also had a called-shot system, though I don't remember the combat in the game being that great. I do remember it being very hard. Sadly, I don't remember much else about the game. At some point late in the game you get to a desert city of some kind and I never progressed beyond there. I can't even recall if there was magic in the game (I suppose there must have been). It was kind of cool and unique, though, so I was hoping I could find out the name and see if I could track down some youtube videos for nostalgia's sake.

The other game was a 3rd person action RPG I played around the same time (01-03), and was notable for a couple of things: firstly, it had a limited physics engine, where you could throw items and watch them bounce around semi-realistically, and I think ragdoll physics as well; and secondly, it was kind of unique in that instead of enemies just having a straight-up hit point pool, you could actually target specific parts of their bodies and dismember them. I remember distinctly you could hack off heads, limbs and possibly even chop bodies in half. That set the game apart from pretty much every other contemporary game where you whacked monsters with swords until they fell down with the same death animation as all the rest, and I remember reading previews for the game where that was certainly a big talking point.

The game was 3rd person and you played as either a human warrior or a dwarf. The human started in some kind of dungeon, while the dwarf was on a mountain fortress, traversing rope bridges and fighting orcs. I think the architecture for that level was Mesoamerican-inspired, though I may be misremembering that. I didn't actually play the game that much, truth be told; but as with the first, it was kind of unique, and would be worth a nostalgia trip.

I know these are very bare-bones descriptions, and I'll try to remember more details if I can, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with the names of them. I've been racking my brain for days now and it's driving me more than a little insane.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 4, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Is it wrong if I don't trust them enough to pull off another one at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wonder what they mean by 'new soul nomad.' A direct sequel? A remake?

Actually, a prequel where you're Layna trying to stop Gig would be pretty neat.