Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Samael posted:

If you are really going to combo out with tokens, play dragon tempest. All the dragon tokens enter at the same time, so descent 5 creatures with tempest on the field does 25 damage.

That's a good call, I'm tempted to go mono red for that then, with outburst, fodder and rabbles that's more than enough token generation to fuel that engine and it means I can sideboard in stuff like eidilons and anger of the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Posted this in the MTG thread before I even knew this thread existed:

I'm new to Magic and working on upgrading my Standard Deck after a month of doing ok at FNM (5th-3rd place). This Mono-Black Aggro decklist I found online is fun as hell to play. Can I get some opinions on my card ideas and how many should be swapped in/out?

4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Bile Blight
4 Mardu Strike Leader
4 Pain Seer
4 Blood-Chin Rager
4 Mardu Shadowspear
4 Mogis's Marauder
3 Tormented Hero
2 Ultimate Price
4 Sign in Blood
4 Foul-Tongue Shriek
20 Swamp
--SIDEBOARD--
4 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Virulent Plague
4 Master of the Feast
4 Duress

I was thinking of adding in some copies of Obelisk of Urd as all of my creatures are humans. What should I rotate out for it? Also I was going to swap the Ultimate Price cards with Hero's Downfall. Should I have more than 2 copies of it in my deck?

I want to add in some copies of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. How many would be appropriate?

With the origins spoilers I've seen in the thread I was thinking of adding in the new Liliana:

And this guy too:

The one card in this deck that I'm never happy to draw is Tormented Hero. It feels like he's only in the list because he's a one drop 2/1 human warrior. Since he enters tapped I can't give him haste with Mogis's Marauder.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
In your deck, you may not actually need nykthos. you're playing a bunch of 1-3 drops (excluding Obelisk if you add it). If you're adding the obelisk, pull the Foul-Tongue Shriek's. I'd go somewhere along the lines of this:

-4 Foul Tongue Shriek
+2 Obelisk of Urd
+2 Hero's Downfall OR Murderous Cut

Ultimate price is good as a two of.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Is there something about Foul-Tongue Shriek that makes it not play nicely with Obelisk of Urd? I'd prefer to sub something else out because FTS is usually a bolt or better with lifelink in this deck.

E: Should I maybe sideboard it instead?

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 1, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is there something about Foul-Tongue Shriek that makes it not play nicely with Obelisk of Urd? I'd prefer to sub something else out because FTS is usually a bolt or better with lifelink in this deck.

E: Should I maybe sideboard it instead?

You should because FTS sucks. Bolt is a not the card to compare it to.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

How does FTS suck? I'm seriously just asking. It's an instant for 1 that deals damage and gains life and it's rare for me to not have 3 creatures on the board at least. In my limited experience it's always been an effective finisher and even saved a game I was losing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

How does FTS suck? I'm seriously just asking. It's an instant for 1 that deals damage and gains life and it's rare for me to not have 3 creatures on the board at least. In my limited experience it's always been an effective finisher and even saved a game I was losing.

Because cheap removal is going to be a better card in your hand than this card the majority of the time.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/300666#paper

This is the version of the deck that had a great showing. Notice how all the spells are removal except sign in blood? I would try to emulate this deck as closely as possible right now. Obviously the thoughtsiezes are going to be something you might want to skip on for budget reasons which can be replaced with durress/despise.

Sign in blood can be your finisher burn on your opponent in the right situations if that is what you are looking for.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Alright sounds good. Should I sideboard in fewer virulent plagues as well? I haven't been up against a token deck that couldn't just be killed by bile blight.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Alright sounds good. Should I sideboard in fewer virulent plagues as well? I haven't been up against a token deck that couldn't just be killed by bile blight.

The meta just isn't great for them right now. I could see you getting rid of all of them honestly.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Alright here's what I'm looking at doing now:

4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Bile Blight
4 Mardu Strike Leader
4 Pain Seer
4 Blood-Chin Rager
4 Mardu Shadowspear
4 Mogis's Marauder
3 Tormented Hero
2 Ultimate Price
4 Sign in Blood
2 Hero's Downfall<--new
2 Obelisk of Urd<--new
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx<--new
18 Swamp
--SIDEBOARD--
4 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Bile Blight<--new
4 Master of the Feast
4 Duress

I decided to sideboard an extra bile blight in case of a token deck populating out of control rather than using virulent plague. Also I swapped out 2 swamps for 2 Nykthos copies so I can cast Obelisk of Urd more easily. I swapped 2 Obelisk of Urd and 2 Hero's Downfall for all 4 of my Foul-Tongue Shrieks. I'm still not sure what to sideboard in for the last 2 slots tho. Maybe 2 more Hero's Downfall?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think Nykthos is what this deck wants; you need 3 black symbols out for it to be as good as a swamp, 4 for it to be better, and you're not really sinking your mana into anything. It might sound strange, but I think I'd rather just have 2 more swamps.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
More Ultimate Prices are a possibility. Ultimately I think you should sit down and look at some of the popular decks in the format, and then decide "Okay, these are the cards I take out in this matchup, and these are the cards I'm bringing in". Otherwise you're likely to get into a game, take a look at your sideboard, and find yourself thinking "Well I know I'm bringing in these 8 cards, but there are only 6 cards I really want to take out".

As for particular cards to consider, Merciless Executioner (as an answer to Silumgar, the Drifting Death) might find some use. You might also consider some beefier or evasive creatures (such as Herald of Torment or Master of the Feast) if you think there are some matchups where that could be useful.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

I don't think Nykthos is what this deck wants; you need 3 black symbols out for it to be as good as a swamp, 4 for it to be better, and you're not really sinking your mana into anything. It might sound strange, but I think I'd rather just have 2 more swamps.

It's not uncommon for me to have 4 or more devotion with this deck and the worst thing that could happen is that I just tap Nykthos for colorless. What if I did 2 swamps mainboard and then sideboard the 2 Nykthos with the 2 slots I have left? Then whenever I sideboard in Master of the Feast I could also put in the 2 Nykthos for the swamps because Master of the Feast counts for 2 devotion.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's not uncommon for me to have 4 or more devotion with this deck and the worst thing that could happen is that I just tap Nykthos for colorless. What if I did 2 swamps mainboard and then sideboard the 2 Nykthos with the 2 slots I have left? Then whenever I sideboard in Master of the Feast I could also put in the 2 Nykthos for the swamps because Master of the Feast counts for 2 devotion.

Basically, I think opening hands of swamp nykthos are going to cause you issues by not letting you play 2 1 drops on t2 and that you don't really have anything worth doing with the mana. This is actually probably something worth testing though; play out some large number of matches on your own and make your own decision.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

It is the same scenario as before when we talked about removal over FTS. Consistency is something you want. Nykthos is going to lose you games or force you to mulligan where a swamp wouldn't.

Nykthos is honestly for green decks that cast big spells. Not for aggressive black decks that want to dump their hands.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Okay I'll hold off on the Nykthos then. One other thing is I don't really like Tormented Hero in this deck. I know he's a 2/1 for 1 with heroic but I don't have anything to trigger heroic (except Mogis's Marauder) in the first place. Plus he enters tapped so putting him in the game feels like my momentum comes to a lurching halt because I can't haste him with Mogis's Marauder and I have to wait until my next turn to even have a cheap blocker.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Having played mono black humans with obelisk for a while I'm not sure it's really worth it. You can convoke the obelisk out with your dudes but I find sacrificing a turn to do that to be counterproductive most of the time.

If you do want to run the obelisks though I'd run more than two to ensure you get it fairly early.

Edit: regarding the tormented heroes they're almost always bad unless it's played t1. Gnarled scarhides are always an option for a 1 cmc 2/1 and although they don't synergise with obelisk you can bestow them on opposing creatures if the game goes later to prevent blockers.

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Okay I'll hold off on the Nykthos then. One other thing is I don't really like Tormented Hero in this deck. I know he's a 2/1 for 1 with heroic but I don't have anything to trigger heroic (except Mogis's Marauder) in the first place. Plus he enters tapped so putting him in the game feels like my momentum comes to a lurching halt because I can't haste him with Mogis's Marauder and I have to wait until my next turn to even have a cheap blocker.

Tormented hero is definitely not an all star of the deck. He is however a 2/1 for one black mana that is also a human warrior. It beats out basically any other card you could put into the slot.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Instead of Obelisk maybe play around with Hall of Triumph. It's a smaller buff but it only costs 3.

Plus you can get fancy pretty foily promo ones for the same price as regular ones. :v:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Alternatively, though it's no longer mono-black, you could try B/W warriors. The lands should be fairly cheap right now and it gives you access to good one drops, the ktk warriors that buff all your other warriors, and Arashin Foremost (2/2 double striker that can give other warriors double strike). I'd post my list but I don't have it to hand.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Here's my warrior list that I post whenever I see it mentioned: https://deckbox.org/sets/878022

You can make budget cuts by dropping all the thoughtseizes, replace the maindeck ones with ultimate price or blights and replace the sideboard ones with duress. The "core" of the deck is the creatures, which is a pretty cheap lot, so if you have to make more budget cuts then you can cut things like mana confluence for more basics and cut the Sorin's for more removal or more creatures like mogis marauder. Hero's Downfall's are only like $3-4 now too.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try Hall of Triumph over Obelisk of Urd just because I won't need to sacrifice a turn to get it on to the field. As for the B/W warrior decks there's actually a guy that I met at my local FNM that plays B/W warriors and we've both adjusted our decks slightly from playing each other. He had an Obelisk of Urd that screwed me one game and I finished him off another game with a Foul-Tongue Shriek when he would have won next turn. He threw in some FTS to his deck and I started looking in to Obelisk of Urd.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Modern Tainted Immortality

4 Tainted Remedy
4 Beacon of Immortality

3 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Sphere of the Suns
4 Solemn Simulacrum
4 Wall of Omens

1 Damnation (or Day of Judgment)
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Wrath of God

4 Path to Exile

3 Gifts Ungiven
4 Serum Visions
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Unburial Rites
1 Noxious Revival

20 lands

I need help with this brew. Obviously the land count is too low but I don't know what I should be cutting. Is the gifts package too cute? I figure gifts+combo+noxious lets me get any missing combo piece, plus I can threaten the gifts-iona package as well, so it ups my game-ending threat count considerably.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Sphere of the Suns should probably be Mind Stone, assuming your manabase will be wide enough to cover the color requirements.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try Hall of Triumph over Obelisk of Urd just because I won't need to sacrifice a turn to get it on to the field. As for the B/W warrior decks there's actually a guy that I met at my local FNM that plays B/W warriors and we've both adjusted our decks slightly from playing each other. He had an Obelisk of Urd that screwed me one game and I finished him off another game with a Foul-Tongue Shriek when he would have won next turn. He threw in some FTS to his deck and I started looking in to Obelisk of Urd.

You definitely want to play to the strength of the deck. Mono black excels as strong beats on a fast curve with evasion. It also allows cheap hand disruptions as well as removal. As long as the changes you make don't make the deck slower and more conditional you should do well.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A friend of mine is trying to organize an event at the LGS where your deck has to be Modern Legal but under $30 total in SCG prices not including basics.

Seems like you could still do Affinity, Infect, mono-green stompy or the like pretty easily.

This is what I was thinking of running because I'm apparently a terrible person

Deck: Pauper Proper Turbo Fog

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
5 Island
7 Plains
4 Sejiri Refuge
4 Tranquil Cove

//Spells
4 Dawn Charm
3 Elixir of Immortality
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Howling Mine
4 Riot Control
4 Temple Bell

//Creatures
2 Archaeomancer
1 Flickerwisp
2 Sea Gate Oracle
4 Wall of Omens

Display deck statistics

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
No Isochron Scepter?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Scepters are something like 8-10 each.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah I'm blowing most of my budget on the Howling Mines and Wall of Omens.

I'm thinking of putting in a couple main-deck counters just for emergencies. Negate maybe, though creatures that could be problematic too. Dissipate? Dissolve? Deprive?

sideboard should probably have negates/dispels and disenchants.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pollen Lullaby is a pretty good white Fog effect, and I think you can get it at bulk prices.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

GoutPatrol posted:

Where? Not trying to be snarky, I could use a rube to unload some on.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

With the new red cards out, I am looking to make a new standard brew for just after rotation and this is my initial build-

Atarka Goblins-

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-07-15-gobbos/

Creature (24)
4x Foundry Street Denizen
3x Frenzied Goblin
4x Goblin Glory Chaser
3x Goblin Heelcutter
4x Goblin Piledriver
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
2x Subterranean Scout
Land (20)
2x Forest
4x Mana Confluence
10x Mountain
4x Wooded Foothills
Instant (10)
3x Atarka's Command
4x Stoke the Flames
3x Wild Slash
Sorcery (7)
4x Dragon Fodder
3x Hordeling Outburst

Sideboard (15)
2x Exquisite Firecraft
3x Obelisk of Urd
4x Rending Volley
3x Scouring Sands
3x Smash to Smithereens

Then I thought about how many punishment effects are in standard, so I brewed this up. , it's very WIP until i actually get on the cards and playtest it, but I think there's something to work into-

Punishing Red Devotion

4x Lightning Berserker
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4x Dragon Whisperer
1x Mardu Scout
4x Scab-Clan Berserker
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Avaricious Dragon
4x Fanatic of Mogis
4x Exquisite Firecraft
3x Ravaging Blaze
4x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20x Mountain

If anyone has any helpful comments or tips on each of the decks, it would be really helpful, or just to bounce possible brew ideas off each other. :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It didn't occur to me before but yeah, Subterranean Scout is probably going to be good in the rabblemaster/piledriver/glory seeker deck.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It didn't occur to me before but yeah, Subterranean Scout is probably going to be good in the rabblemaster/piledriver/glory seeker deck.

In playtesting, it's probably better than heelcutter, so I might go 1/3 split on heelcutters to scouts. Being able to give your piledriver unblockable is a very scary possibility.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The one thing I'd want is a bit more cheap burn (perhaps in the board) to answer early white lifelinkers and to get Glory Seeker through on the draw.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The one thing I'd want is a bit more cheap burn (perhaps in the board) to answer early white lifelinkers and to get Glory Seeker through on the draw.

Rending Volley generally is used for that, but I might also put roasts in the board as well.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Anyone come up with a viable U/R Thopter build yet?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Anyone come up with a viable U/R Thopter build yet?

Ask in the Limited thread in two weeks. I don't think any of the cards are good enough for constructed.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I've been thinking about lists and I'm not convinced any of the non-artifact creatures are worth it. I like slotting in some of the new artifact dudes for worse older dudes and bringing in Spy Network. I'm also not convinced that the UR version will be the better of the two, I like saccing Hangarback with Shrapnel Blast EoT to make a pile of thopters but I'm concerned about consistency.

Here's the most basic build I can think of right now, haven't been able to do any testing yet

e:fixed list

BXCX fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
After kicking around some ideas for where to go in Standard, I wondered if just a straight-up "gently caress it, all-out Burn" deck would be viable, and well:

4x Atarka's Command
4x Lightning Strike
2x Magma Jet
2x Searing Blood
4x Stoke the Flames
4x Wild Slash
4x Exquisite Firecraft

2x Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
1x Lightning Berserker
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Thunderbreak Regent
3x Zurgo Bellstriker

1x Forest
4x Mana Confluence
12x Mountain
1x Temple of Abandon
4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:

4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
2x Magma Jet
2x Outpost Siege
4x Roast
2x Searing Blood
1x Smash to Smithereens

---

Sideboard is a bit WIP; I use the 2/2 split of Jet and Blood in my current deck and I really like how it works out. Having access to eight cards that deal 4 damage and have varying levels of being un-interactable is great. Thoughts?

• Locked thread