Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, looks like my power peaked at Drakenvale (strange name for a mountain) and started going down from there (White Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai). The forest of Moore was just plain annoying as a result of the weak !Gaia commands, and both the guardians and Exdeath required !Zeninage abuse.

I've made it into the third world, but my inability to use the best swords, sweet stolen equipment, dual wield, rapid fire, cheesy mixes or any magical nukes/summons is really slowing my damage output. I expect that my first set of legendary weapons, the Brave Sword and Holy should help turn this one around.

The good news is that the next time I play a conventional run, I am going to feel like a god among men.

What's the general third world policy for an FJF? Just grab the first seal plus holy and then storm the void? I just killed the Antlion, and my party's at level 34. Still no running from battle.

Edit: so this is the part where I realised I had been playing the whole game like I was going to get the Brave Blade, but didn't actually have a character that can equip it. :sigh: A little knowledge...

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

David Corbett posted:

the Brave Sword

Glossing over that the Brave Blade is stupid, you don't even have anyone that can equip it. :psyduck:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Glossing over that the Brave Blade is stupid, you don't even have anyone that can equip it. :psyduck:

I, uh, just realised that. Derp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

David Corbett posted:

I, uh, just realised that. Derp.

Get yoself a Chicken Knife, put Flare Spellblade on it, and watch the carnage. :getin:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Get yoself a Chicken Knife, put Flare Spellblade on it, and watch the carnage. :getin:

This is a much better plan. Now I just have to flee 255 times. With FFV's encounter rate, it should take no time at all :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

David Corbett posted:

This is a much better plan. Now I just have to flee 255 times. With FFV's encounter rate, it should take no time at all :v:

Don't forget Mister Goblin in the treasure chest in the Beginner's Club in Tule.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

David Corbett posted:

What's the general third world policy for an FJF? Just grab the first seal plus holy and then storm the void? I just killed the Antlion, and my party's at level 34. Still no running from battle.

You need to finish the Island Shrine to get access to Fork Tower. I'd recommend it; Holy helps immensely.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The weirdest part of this run is seeing Lenna's animations instead of Bartz'.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

David Corbett posted:

Since you have a MK, you may want to do a quick dive into Istory Falls and grab the Enhancer(Assuming the Geomancer is rocking the Assassin Dagger for normal encounters) and Aegis Shield #2. If you happened to have killed the Treasure Goblin already and need to charge the Chicken Knife, roll up to floor 5 of Phoenix Tower and hitup the Magic Pot for easy runaways too.

But yeah once you have Holy + legendary WM staff, and Flare Spellblade (and the ability to haste key members of your party via Muramasa if you dont use Hermes Sandals), your power goes back to something mildly impressive.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Renzuko posted:

Quick question, now that my bartz has equip harps, should i just leave him as a berzerker for the rest of the game? should i swap him to blackmage to get !black and make the runic axe better?

~edit

double checked, bartz has level 3 !black, does it get stronger the higher level it is?

Yes, the higher the black magic level, the bigger a magic stat you get out of it. A high black magic level will help the Rune Axe, but Equip Harps will make your Berserker faster.

Clearly you should leave the Berserker with Equip Harp and put the Rune Axe on your Black Mage. :black101:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

AGH WHAT THE loving gently caress! I have a berzerker, blackmage, chemist and bard, how the hell am i supposed to not die to the shield dragons in the sealed castle?

edit

wait...chemist...DEATH POTION TIME FOR SOME SAVESCUMMING SCIENCE!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Renzuko posted:

AGH WHAT THE loving gently caress! I have a berzerker, blackmage, chemist and bard, how the hell am i supposed to not die to the shield dragons in the sealed castle?

Run away from 'em :v:

Schwartzcough posted:

Clearly you should leave the Berserker with Equip Harp and put the Rune Axe on your Black Mage. :black101:

Have done this. It is as loving hilarious as it sounds.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Run away from 'em :v:

I've been trying that, but everyone dies before i can run away, even with 3/4ths of the party equiped with elven mantles

-edit

after much, MUCH savescumming, I got away. so i've unlocked apollo's harp, and the runic axe. what is the third thing I should get? like I've said before im runnin bard/berzerker/blackmage/chemist

-edit2

So, I went with apollo's harp, the rune axe and assassin's dagger. my berzerker has been sporting the death sickle since crescent world 1, what would be the best thing for him?

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 3, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Finished 7th run; got ridiculously easy at the end with Holy + Sage's Staff; Chicken Knife + Focus and a level-boosted monk. Buffed my party vs. Tree and then NED got off one Delta Attack and a physical attack that missed. Shinryuu knocked the Monk down a couple times but the Bard and Ranger were doing 13K combined each round. Omega just sat there listening to music while he was stabbed in the face repeatedly.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Renzuko posted:

I've been trying that, but everyone dies before i can run away, even with 3/4ths of the party equiped with elven mantles

-edit

after much, MUCH savescumming, I got away. so i've unlocked apollo's harp, and the runic axe. what is the third thing I should get? like I've said before im runnin bard/berzerker/blackmage/chemist

-edit2

So, I went with apollo's harp, the rune axe and assassin's dagger. my berzerker has been sporting the death sickle since crescent world 1, what would be the best thing for him?

I think Equip Harps + Rune Axe is the way to go for the Berserker.

Give the Bard the Assasin's Dagger if you're really, really want to hope for an Instant Death proc... switch the harp when you fight dragons and undead... which should be often since there's a mix (Dragon's Fang + Maiden's Kiss) that changes enemies to Dragon type, and the Apollo's Harp will then do massive damage to them.

Definitely get the Magus Rod (boosts Black Mage's elemental spells) and Sage's Staff (free Revive for the Chemist) next.

If you got the Aegis Shield in World 2, then you can go straight to the Rift after getting Flare (that is, if you have enough Coral Rings, Hermes Sandals and Reflect Rings for everyone)

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 3, 2015

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?

My first time beating FF5! I had Black Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai.

Boy, NED didn't go down easy. No Omega/Shinryuu kill this time, unfortunately.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
First fiesta, haven't played this game in years and years. I've got monk, mystic knight, ninja, and dragoon. In world 2 now grinding in the Val basement. What stuff do I not want to miss out on? And have I over leveled a bit, I'm at level 40 across the board? My weapons seem pretty crappy and I don't have a good way to heal my guys up, help?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

plscks posted:

First fiesta, haven't played this game in years and years. I've got monk, mystic knight, ninja, and dragoon. In world 2 now grinding in the Val basement. What stuff do I not want to miss out on? And have I over leveled a bit, I'm at level 40 across the board? My weapons seem pretty crappy and I don't have a good way to heal my guys up, help?
Yeah, those are pretty high levels.

Not much this party can miss out on; just make sure you have all the black magic spells for your mystic knight.

Once you get a chance to buy Flame Rings, do that... then your MK can heal the party with Firaga Spellblade.

If you're having a hard time, give everybody !Throw and spam Fire, Water or Lightning Scrolls. You should have enough cash to buy a ton of them now.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Sir_Phobos posted:

I'm having trouble with Omega right now. I've got Black Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai, and it's been a great team up to this point, but I don't know how to deal with everything that Omega throws at you.

I'm playing the SNES version. My party is level 41 and each character has 1500+ HP. I've got 4 Wall Rings so that everyone (minus the Berserker) can reflect Bolt 3 off of themselves, as well as Flame Shields and Flame Rings to absorb Emission AKA Flamethrower (since Atomic Ray just gets reflected). I've got Bone Mail on one person to protect against the confusion from Rocket Punch, but everyone else is vulnerable to it since I can't equip them with Ribbons or anything. My Black Mage has the Wizard Rod which boosts the damage of Bolt 3 to about 4000, but that's not really enough to kill him before he wipes out my party.

This is my first time making it to the end of the game, so I could definitely be missing an important item or synergy. But I'm kinda stumped right now! Any advice?

Make the Berserker a Zombie and unequip the reflect ring, there should be a bug that triple reflected Thundaga + 1 person being hit by it won't trigger his counter script.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Well, it happened again. I promised that I wouldn't fall for the Speed Trap, but come on, if I'm stuck with a Thief, I've got to go fast.

Is it just me, or does Two-Handed make a lot of fights super easy? I had two knights and a blue mage all wailing away with Coral Swords on the Soul Cannon and it didn't get a chance to fire once.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Blastinus posted:

Well, it happened again. I promised that I wouldn't fall for the Speed Trap, but come on, if I'm stuck with a Thief, I've got to go fast.

Is it just me, or does Two-Handed make a lot of fights super easy? I had two knights and a blue mage all wailing away with Coral Swords on the Soul Cannon and it didn't get a chance to fire once.

I fall for that speed trap a minimum of once. Even the three times I rolled geomancer because of speed-up.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

zolthorg posted:

I fall for that speed trap a minimum of once. Even the three times I rolled geomancer because of speed-up.

The speed trap doesn't respect Geomancer.

Specifically Geomancer can't do a drat thing if the hole is visible before you run your face over it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Nethertribes posted:

The speed trap doesn't respect Geomancer.

Specifically Geomancer can't do a drat thing if the hole is visible before you run your face over it.

It is not visible the first time you walk in that room, how could you be so silly and spread such lies. :colbert:

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

zolthorg posted:

It is not visible the first time you walk in that room, how could you be so silly and spread such lies. :colbert:

I'm certain you're talking about a different hole, cause is the one I'm talking about.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Nethertribes posted:

I'm certain you're talking about a different hole, cause is the one I'm talking about.

What hole?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Minrad posted:

What hole?

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD
What do I look like, some sort of Geomancer-having nerd? I'm not paid enough to be a hole-recorder.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:toot: First triple crown! I was actually pretty under levelled too, 29 I think? Chicken dances weren't even hitting 9999.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the Brave Blade is a fine weapon, it's only stupid because FFV has several horribly strong monsters that you're meant to run away from to survive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Brave Blade is stupid because it's already weaker than the Chicken Knife presuming a fair comparison of both at max power, requires you to never run away or it gets irrevocably weaker to the point of being actively useless and it can be used by a grand total of 1 classes (Knight) who has better weapons anyway.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Presumably, the Brave Blade / Chicken Knife choice is another one of those first-time player traps. Because honestly, which one sounds cooler to have? If they really wanted it to be an even choice, they'd make it a normal sword instead of a knight sword, and have it start off with a few more points to bring it even with the Chicken Knife's damage modifiers.

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?

zolthorg posted:

Make the Berserker a Zombie and unequip the reflect ring, there should be a bug that triple reflected Thundaga + 1 person being hit by it won't trigger his counter script.

I just tried this, and you're right, it totally works! But I can't seem to kill him before he uses Surge Beam twice and wipes out my party. Oh well!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Pictures of the Treasure Obtained: Omega Seal screen are fine. :)

drat right they are.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Sir_Phobos posted:

I just tried this, and you're right, it totally works! But I can't seem to kill him before he uses Surge Beam twice and wipes out my party. Oh well!

Try giving the Samurai the Aegis Shield to get an extra turn and or using them to toss an elixir or two, I forget if corpses can still reflect ring spells or not.

You can also try farming an extra bone mail (but this makes them weak to fire so they need a flame shield) or a lamia tiara for the black mage (hat that prevents confusion)

You can also try prepping the Magic Lamp and the Wonder Wand with different things if you really want the crown. Magic Lamp could have Carbuncle allowing you to use the flame rings and directly attacking omega to heal a bit, or sylph for a pittance heal that might be just enough, or Phoenix if you can get situations where the Samurai (Flame Shield) survives past the 4th turn but the other two die

No clue what spell would work best on the wonder rod, maybe attack omega with it set to regen and reset until it reflects onto the samurai?
Or go with a flame ring aegis shield samurai and use it to reflect Reflect onto the samurai. Or Shell to reduce magic /status hitrates

Whatever you do if you manage to do this i'd emulator record it or gooncam record it as it sounds like a legendary battle with the RNG

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 3, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Sooo I am at Omniscient with Ninja/Thief/Samurai and trying the strat someone recommended to me, which is Mage Masher proc + Zeninage, Zeninage. I have everyone on Hermes Sandals and after like 20 tries Silence did stick twice, so that's okaaay, I guess, BUT - I literally do not have enough time to input even one Zeninage until Omniscient casts Return again, which is really weird to me.

I am on Android; is that possibly something they just "fixed"? I don't understand why he even keeps casting Return after the first three attempts (Mage Masher + Twin Lance hit)...at least my first Zeninage should hit, right?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Sooo I am at Omniscient with Ninja/Thief/Samurai and trying the strat someone recommended to me, which is Mage Masher proc + Zeninage, Zeninage. I have everyone on Hermes Sandals and after like 20 tries Silence did stick twice, so that's okaaay, I guess, BUT - I literally do not have enough time to input even one Zeninage until Omniscient casts Return again, which is really weird to me.

I am on Android; is that possibly something they just "fixed"? I don't understand why he even keeps casting Return after the first three attempts (Mage Masher + Twin Lance hit)...at least my first Zeninage should hit, right?

Go into your options and greatly lower your battle speed, should make statuses and things stick for longer. Although on IOS/Android the heavy flag might make it super hard to stick any status to a boss.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Weird, I just managed to land a Blessed Kiss on Omega. I thought the GBA version was supposed to fix that bug.

Ah well, can't complain about an easy victory.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Weird, I just managed to land a Blessed Kiss on Omega. I thought the GBA version was supposed to fix that bug.

Ah well, can't complain about an easy victory.

Nope. In fact, all they did was give Tree Exdeath a specific counter measure to Blessed Kiss. Still works on anyone else.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

zolthorg posted:

Go into your options and greatly lower your battle speed, should make statuses and things stick for longer. Although on IOS/Android the heavy flag might make it super hard to stick any status to a boss.
Aaah, the battle speed is key, now I can do it!

I literally spent my entire money on Hermes Sandals and Rings :negative:. God drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The Brave Blade is stupid because it's already weaker than the Chicken Knife presuming a fair comparison of both at max power, requires you to never run away or it gets irrevocably weaker to the point of being actively useless and it can be used by a grand total of 1 classes (Knight) who has better weapons anyway.

Such as?

• Locked thread