Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Decided to go back and just screw around with stuff I haven't used in a while.

Sweet jumping christ are the Germans at 3.7 dogshit.

A bunch of paper-armored tanks, StuGs, and 50mm PzIIIs dying to endless waves of T-34s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pumped to try it this weekend!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

A bunch of paper-armored tanks, StuGs, and 50mm PzIIIs dying to endless waves of T-34s.

Load HEAT (HlGr38C), shoot for the lowest part of the hull you can see, never not be making a diamond with your tank if you have a turret, don't be the frontline when you're a StuG. These tanks are way better off now than they used to be.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Der Waffle Mous posted:

But the f2 has a drat good gun. You just have to do the whole 'don't get shot' thing to stand a chance. But you should do that in all tanks anyways.

In other news, I think something is broke.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
What else do Germans have that can deal with T-34s at that tier? I like the F2 but half the enemy has a full set of T-34s sometimes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ra-amun posted:

What else do Germans have that can deal with T-34s at that tier? I like the F2 but half the enemy has a full set of T-34s sometimes.

StuG F. PZIII J. PZII H if you're a wallet warrior. Marder. Marder H. Holy poo poo the Marders are amazing. Unless you're playing AB.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ra-amun posted:

Marders, stugs, and f2s are the best of the lot. But you have to really think about what you are doing and use cover/concealment/sneaky to your advantage. Setup in a spot you know the enemy has to go past or through and get the first shot into the turret. Don't be in a spot where the first thing they can see is you, be off to the side.

This helps with _all_ tanks tho. And there are a lot of times you won't be able to setup right and just have to be sure you shoot first.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

spectralent, your ticket is now closed

Huh. All I can say is I've not received any actual research yet, but I last checked a few hours ago, maybe the flight ended and I got credit?

edit: I can see "You have left the Enduring Confrontation event before it finished" messages, with free RP, but I can't see any "the mission ended and you have fuckloads of RP" messages. I really hope it's not just me that's bugged bugged :smith:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 3, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well it's good to know the KI-44 cannot out turn a stock F2A-1.

4 v 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2i6S1zQ8zc

Oh and I unlocked a pretty cool new decal.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Appropriate for the M4A1 ronson :mmmhmm:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I still don't get how EC is meant to be better than sim. I mean presumably you're meant to just jump in on the action but I join and... nothing, for ages. I don't know, is the map too dispersed and I'm just not seeing the action? After ten minutes I just decided to land and see if I could get a refund on the plane (you cannot get a refund on the plane).

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

WebDO posted:

While you're at it, remap the cruise control to something else (I use R for gofast and F for french gear) and use Q and E for left and right brakes.

Being able to actually turn in an IS-2, or being able to Sochiyo drift in a T-34, is good fun.

This is really great advice, it means you get to drift + you keep speed through the turn, which is a real benefit esp. at low speeds. You have to go tank controls>realistic, set them, then go back to mouseaim if you're playing ab/rb tanks.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Ra-amun posted:

Slow speed high arc HEAT rounds. Lay back, relax, be a waste-of-oxygen sniper, don't play the objective and outsnipe the opposing useless snipers who can't even hit you because their rounds can't plunge like yours do. Works well on that map with a town north of a lake, surrounded with meadows. You can close down a whole street if you find the right spot. After you lose the war write a book and make mad bank because you were a tank ace with awesome K:D ratio.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Xerxes17 posted:

Appropriate for the M4A1 ronson :mmmhmm:

The primary flamethrower variant of the M4 medium was the M4A3R3, which was nicknamed 'Zippo', not Ronson and is not ingame. :colbert:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for the advice on the previous page. I actually got a couple kills today by just saying 'F it' and driving around randomly and taking bad shots.

Another question, which are good varieties of half-track to go for? Is it worthwhile to get anti-air because in my few tank battles air hasn't really seemed like much of an issue?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Russians seem to be getting completely rolled in br8 tanks so far. Those new tanks are definitely something

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

TwatHammer posted:

Russians seem to be getting completely rolled in br8 tanks so far. Those new tanks are definitely something

I just got my IS-3 about 2hrs ago and found this to be the case. My heavy armor for WW2 standards doesn't mean poo poo vs Cold War HEAT and APDS-T.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

I just got my IS-3 about 2hrs ago and found this to be the case. My heavy armor for WW2 standards doesn't mean poo poo vs Cold War HEAT and APDS-T.

I imagine that this is akin to what happened when M10s and M18s first landed - a lot of people with a lot of bad habits are slow to adjust to easy to murder glass cannons. The American TDs settled out surprisingly nicely once people figured out how to handle them and seem to be in a pretty good spot right now.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Russians suck at BR8 tanks now that the enemies can compete a bit better :smug:

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Im half tempted to put the grind for the T-10M on hold and start grinding out the M60 or the Leopard1. I've seen plenty of the mediums but im rarely seen any of the T10's to judge if they seem worth the grind or not.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

WebDO posted:

I imagine that this is akin to what happened when M10s and M18s first landed - a lot of people with a lot of bad habits are slow to adjust to easy to murder glass cannons. The American TDs settled out surprisingly nicely once people figured out how to handle them and seem to be in a pretty good spot right now.

Well for me I think that it's more that it's a totally new ball game separate from everything else that i have faced up to this point. So it's going to take me a bit to adjsut to the new flow of things. Because if there is one thing for certain, those Leo1's go up like firecrackers from any sort of hit with the 122mm. The new thing to adjust to is all these 105mm guns running around.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 3, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

spectralent posted:

Huh. All I can say is I've not received any actual research yet, but I last checked a few hours ago, maybe the flight ended and I got credit?

edit: I can see "You have left the Enduring Confrontation event before it finished" messages, with free RP, but I can't see any "the mission ended and you have fuckloads of RP" messages. I really hope it's not just me that's bugged bugged :smith:

Maybe you only get RP if you are chat banned.

Anyway: :japan:UTC+9 crew:australia:, see you in 10 hours.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Another question, which are good varieties of half-track to go for? Is it worthwhile to get anti-air because in my few tank battles air hasn't really seemed like much of an issue?

The american half track with the sherman 75mm is loads of fun, just remember you have 0 armour and machine guns can waste you. It's also a fun tank to bring with you in battles up to ~4.7 cause it can flank well and kill most tanks with side shots to the turret/ammo rack. The AA ones are okay I guess if you don't have points for a real tank, or if there are a lot of enemy aircraft. The german and russian AA are generally better though

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Maybe you only get RP if you are chat banned.

Anyway: :japan:UTC+9 crew:australia:, see you in 10 hours.

You might have had to be in the game when the match ended cause I still have boosters active and the event simply disappeared overnight. My battle log says the battle still hasn't finished. It looks like they took the event down for now but idk I'll check after I get back from work.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The american half track with the sherman 75mm is loads of fun, just remember you have 0 armour and machine guns can waste you. It's also a fun tank to bring with you in battles up to ~4.7 cause it can flank well and kill most tanks with side shots to the turret/ammo rack. The AA ones are okay I guess if you don't have points for a real tank, or if there are a lot of enemy aircraft. The german and russian AA are generally better though

Ok thanks, I'll give the 75mm one a shot. My grandfather was a half-track driver during the war so I have a soft spot for them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thief posted:

You might have had to be in the game when the match ended cause I still have boosters active and the event simply disappeared overnight. My battle log says the battle still hasn't finished. It looks like they took the event down for now but idk I'll check after I get back from work.

It was definitely playing last night, I've been tanking today.

If so that kind of sucks, I wonder if it's possible to get RP anyway or if you're going to have to see it to the end...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm really hating these crew-survivability changes they made to the game .

Had a game last night where an IS-2 put a round into the side of my Panther II's turret, exploded, and every crew-member in the turret turned orange. Not a single fatality. I can only imagine the surprise in his face when my turret swung around at full speed and I ignited his ammo in one shot. I played a round of Mazdok and put three rounds into the side of a T-34/85's turret and never managed to kill a single crew member. First round turned everyone green. Second round everyone was hit, but remained green, and the third round turned two people red. It's like everyone who's managed to get vitality above 50% now how a tank fully crewed by Robocops or something. I'm also noticing that putting rounds into the front of the KT's will 50% of the time not kill the commander, only the gunner standing in front of him.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Why isn't enduring conflict an RB event yet :(

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thief posted:

Why you gotta ruin my night, Thief?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Blistex posted:

I'm really hating these crew-survivability changes they made to the game .

Had a game last night where an IS-2 put a round into the side of my Panther II's turret, exploded, and every crew-member in the turret turned orange. Not a single fatality. I can only imagine the surprise in his face when my turret swung around at full speed and I ignited his ammo in one shot. I played a round of Mazdok and put three rounds into the side of a T-34/85's turret and never managed to kill a single crew member. First round turned everyone green. Second round everyone was hit, but remained green, and the third round turned two people red. It's like everyone who's managed to get vitality above 50% now how a tank fully crewed by Robocops or something. I'm also noticing that putting rounds into the front of the KT's will 50% of the time not kill the commander, only the gunner standing in front of him.

I think they've added spalling, meaning those weren't penetrating shots?

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

WebDO posted:

They also got some nerfing, some uptiering, and even some special patches to change how thin armor worked...

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, Hurricane Mk IV...going to get it's BR raised you think? I had a Battle Trophy give me a Talisman for it, and it's so drat fun, I'm flying no other planes outside of CARB. :fap:

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

The Orange Mage posted:

So, Hurricane Mk IV...going to get it's BR raised you think? I had a Battle Trophy give me a Talisman for it, and it's so drat fun, I'm flying no other planes outside of CARB. :fap:

It is awesome for exploding biplanes and bombers alike.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I still haven't flown it in RB or SB, but I can totally see it getting a bump in arcade. I don't think I've had a round under 10 kills with it yet.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

The Orange Mage posted:

I would expect to see a bump in BR a full tier probably. Maybe even 3.0. It's a fun plane to fly really but it doesn't have much utility outside of it being the new comedy option to bloop newbs. That model Hurricane with a pair of 20mms would be deadly though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Any advice for the M4A3(105)

I'm getting loads of critical hits and spalling with it, but very very few kills

Racking up those assists though :(

e: I'm using the HEAT round that it has

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

philosoraptor posted:

They also got some nerfing, some uptiering, and even some special patches to change how thin armor worked...

Yes, these are also things that happened, but neither the M10 nor M18 were hard to kill at their debut if you played smart. They even very immediately gave a reason for soviet tanks to carry shrapnel, which was nice.

My understanding is the Leopard is as hilariously explosion prone as expected, and high caliber HE does entertaining things when introduced to the M60 cupola.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
This is all just speculation and overthinking things, but here's my theory on why tier 5 has shifted away from Russia and towards America, not including the new vehicles: American tankers realized as a whole how powerful 90mm and 120mm HEAT shells are. Before the slope buffs, the HEAT was more of a backup shell that you used grudgingly, because while it penetrates everything it requires some fine aim to hit the criticals. The AP shell could still penetrate an IS-4 if you hit the right spots on the front, and could penetrate a T-54 pretty much anywhere, so you could just rely on that to penetrate once and blow the enemy the gently caress up. Slope changes happen, the AP shell becomes drastically less reliable, and people start converting to fulltime HEAT and where one HEAT user was an oddity occasionally hitting ammo but usually just destroying a couple parts, a whole team of them stacked in usefulness at tearing tanks down until one hits the ammo or last crew member.

There's also the possibility that the M103 front turret armor is better now, but I don't have enough time spent using it since the patch to be sure. I was surviving three IS-4M frontally in one really good match, though.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Skoll posted:

That model Hurricane with a pair of 20mms would be deadly though.

The USSR Hurricane IIB with 2x12.7mm 2x20mm packs a punch, but it's at the same BR as the Yak-9M so not much contest there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

YellerBill posted:

The USSR Hurricane IIB with 2x12.7mm 2x20mm packs a punch, but it's at the same BR as the Yak-9M so not much contest there.

That's still just a Mark II though, whereas this 40mm blooper is a Mark IV. It truly handles better, in my point of view, than any other Hurricane currently in the game.

• Locked thread