Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Wesley here seems to have an actually meaningful criticism of Gawker and affiliates.

LOL

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Wesley here seems to have an actually meaningful criticism of Gawker and affiliates.

LOL

In my day, being purged meant being sent to a Siberian gulag where you were worked until you collapsed, feeling cold snow on your face right before a bullet penetrated the back of your head.

Now it appears to mean "getting criticized on the internet".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Neo-Reactionaries are convinced a lame clickbait site is the new face of Stalinism, and it's great.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Have there been any juicy Dork Enlightenment meltdowns over Obergefell v. Hodges?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

Have there been any juicy Dork Enlightenment meltdowns over Obergefell v. Hodges?

Yup http://severnayazemlya.tumblr.com/post/122796150058/jeysiec-severnayazemlya-oh-i-assumed-you

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

LOL

He's most upset that these are the people he sees as getting such irreplaceable shining lights of culture as Pax Dickinson and Justine Sacco fired. After all, if you can get fired as a public face of your employer just for being such an incredibly racist shithead that you make your employer choose between their reputation or your job, just about any "freelance blogger" who already got kicked out of college for being an incredibly racist shithead could fall to the SJWs! IS THERE NO END TO THE REACH OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS? I mean, it's like there's an insurgency of cultural Marxists who actually expect you could, like, not be an incredibly racist shithead. But not being an incredibly racist shithead is clearly well outside the bounds of human possibility.

(Personally I think Nydwracu's just upset Taki's Mag still won't return his calls to write for them as well as comment. Because Taki's may be incredibly racist shitheads too, but they do expect their incredibly racist shitheads to write concisely and clearly with a sense of humour, and the neoreactionaries are the most long-windedly humorless young folk ever to put finger to keyboard.)

It's entirely unclear what the gently caress he's saying there (which is his other problem getting into Taki's). Something like "no true Conservative" applied to the vast majority of people in the US who regard themselves as "conservatives", but he's there to tell them and you that these Conservatives In Name Only aren't the real deal, like him and the people who still speak to him.

Where are his long quotes in that post from? They're not from anything that's in Google. Is he quoting himself as an authority?

edits: learn to fuckin' type, diva

divabot has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Jul 3, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Wait, what is this whole Obergefell v. Hodges thing about? I wouldn't want to muddle through Wesley's diarrhoeic writing to find out.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Merdifex posted:

Wait, what is this whole Obergefell v. Hodges thing about? I wouldn't want to muddle through Wesley's diarrhoeic writing to find out.

The ruling that made same sex marriage legal in all 50 states.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

bartlebyshop posted:

The ruling that made same sex marriage legal in all 50 states.

Oh yeah, had to google that since I didn't know that as a synonym. He did go absolutely berserk over it, for the record.

On the other hand, LOL.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like gawker and the rest of the kinja krew for their uncanny ability to piss off nerds about everything :allears:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I have literally had a hardcore self-diagnosed aspergers conservative/libertarian/etc brag to me about how he was the captain of a yacht and a crew of dozens of men when he was in high school. Right now he's working at Gamestop and has a wife who's having her fourth or fifth miscarriage (she may or may not be dying her hair to match the number of M-C's) because, well, being a cashier at gamestop is apparently the epitome of solid family-starting time when you're an ubermensch.

The sad fact that a cashier job (or three) is what many people have to rely on to raise their family out of necessity. I am sure though that our budding ubermensch and captain of industry does not see himself in that set though.

RE gay marriage. I always love how self proclaimed freedom and liberty loving types always seem to get off on telling other people they are acting wrong and thinking wrong and things like gay marriage always bring this to the fore.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munin posted:

The sad fact that a cashier job (or three) is what many people have to rely on to raise their family out of necessity. I am sure though that our budding ubermensch and captain of industry does not see himself in that set though.

Not that this isn't absolutely the case for far too many people, but he seems to be in the position to, you know, wear a condom right now and have a family later when he can afford it like the perfect rational actor he is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like gawker and the rest of the kinja krew for their uncanny ability to piss off nerds about everything :allears:

If you look at people like Pax Dickinson or Chuck C Johnson being fired and think "I'm next" it probably says more about you than Gawker.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
"I may not agree with what you have to say--I mean, I do agree but let's just say for the sake of argument I don't--but I will defend to the death your right to say it (because I want to be able to say it too)." --Chivalrex Moldwarp Voltaire

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The dorkiest bit of the Dork Enlightenment is the intersection between ye olde Neoreactionaries and actual loving Nazis. NRx with some dogwhistle words or WN with jargon like "Cathedral". I was just stunned by this rambling bilge ("WN is just another mutation of multiculturalism") and momentarily bluescreened when I got halfway through and saw the literal claim "I'm not even racist."

So today I was redpilled with the fact that there therefore appears to be no loving stance possible that actually constitutes loving racism. None.

(Except pointing out someone else's apparently-racist-but-actually-:biotruths: behaviour, of course, which everyone knows constitutes real racism. As opposed to race realism.)

divabot has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Jul 3, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

The dorkiest bit of the Dork Enlightenment is the intersection between ye olde Neoreactionaries and actual loving Nazis. NRx with some dogwhistle words or WN with jargon like "Cathedral". I was just stunned by this rambling bilge ("WN is just another mutation of multiculturalism") and momentarily bluescreened when I got halfway through and saw the literal claim "I'm not even racist."

So today I was redpilled with the fact that there therefore appears to be no loving stance possible that actually constitutes loving racism. None.

(Except pointing out someone else's apparently-racist-but-actually-:biotruths: behaviour, of course, which everyone knows constitutes real racism. As opposed to race realism.)

This is what neo-reactionaries actually believe racism is http://ask.fm/St_Rev/answer/127008449790

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is what neo-reactionaries actually believe racism is http://ask.fm/St_Rev/answer/127008449790

Let me just illustrate this: you can support cop violence against blacks on the basis that American blacks descended from slaves brought over from Sub-Saharan Africa have lower general IQs and have a violent culture and it's the only way to ensure peace, and you can still not be a racist under this definition because you are not positing immutable indwelling essences.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Let me just illustrate this: you can support cop violence against blacks on the basis that American blacks descended from slaves brought over from Sub-Saharan Africa have lower general IQs and have a violent culture and it's the only way to ensure peace, and you can still not be a racist under this definition because you are not positing immutable indwelling essences.

So "real racist" is literally the same as "race realist"? TIL!

Can I post the diagram again? I love this diagram. It's definitely one of my favourite diagrams ever. CURIOUSLY ABSENT: THE BEATLES.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The bit about Weimar Germany is literally just nazi propaganda.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
That's right, before social science faculties we didn't have problems like crime.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm going to take a wild guess that their dreaded "dysgenics" just means "lack of eugenics." Am I on the right track?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nolanar posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess that their dreaded "dysgenics" just means "lack of eugenics." Am I on the right track?

Stupid people are outbreeding highly educated, conscientious high IQ people! Despite the fact that rich white people have been whining about this for 100 years and yet average IQ scores keep going up, society is about to collapse into an Idiocracy-style hellhole.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

bartlebyshop posted:

Stupid people are outbreeding highly educated, conscientious high IQ people! Despite the fact that rich white people have been whining about this for 100 years and yet average IQ scores keep going up, society is about to collapse into an Idiocracy-style hellhole.

The thing about this attitude that always gets me is that nobody ever suggests fixing people, they just leap towards killing or sterilizing them. You want more educated people in the world, and fewer stupid people? Why not try educating them? I mean, durr. But I suppose that might mean confronting certain notions about the justness of the world and one's own superiority within it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Because that would require effort and the taxation of MY MONEY THAT I INHERITED FAIR AND SQUARE. All of this is for the purpose of abdicating social responsibility -- if it's pointless to try to educate the rabble because they're simply born idiots, then it's justified for the Elect to go sailing away in their hot air balloons and leave the less fortunate to rot. The reason that racism and gender essentialism always turn up in conservative/reactionary thought is because it's a supporting leg of that ideology. Without it, the power differential of the status quo is obviously unfair and unjust.

It's also a sign of the root of reactionary thought (as "reaction" to something rather than as a creative ideology unto itself). Reactionary conservativism is a digging-in of the heels by those who feel threatened by upheavals in a traditional social order. Those upheavals tend to arrive in the form of democracy, liberalism, leftism, demographic and cultural shifts. These changes ARE creative and generative of new ideas and social forms. They result in people demanding new rights and conceiving of themselves in new, non-traditional ways. For example, gay marriage (and the acceptance of homosexuality in general), women choosing their own careers and marital status, the multiple racial movements (black/Chicano/American Indian) -- all the stuff that was actually productive about the 1960s.

American conservatism has a fetishistic set of symbols and dog-whistles around the 1950s -- when folks left their doors unlocked and everything was the Andy Griffith show! The unspoken message being, "Things were great until all THOSE people started getting uppity!"

Some neoreactionaries seem to prefer invoking the late 19th/early 20th century England, with themselves in the place of Oxford dons. But it's essentially the same longing for rigid social classes, when everyone knew his place and no one tried to go above his station.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

American conservatism has a fetishistic set of symbols and dog-whistles around the 1950s -- when folks left their doors unlocked and everything was the Andy Griffith show! The unspoken message being, "Things were great until all THOSE people started getting uppity!"

I always imagined the fetishizing of the 50's came from people growing up in the McCarthy era where if you didn't announce what a GREAT AND BEAUTIFUL AND FREE AND NOT COMMUNIST COUNTRY AMERICA IS every 5 seconds you got blacklisted. A lot of the modern in-power conservatives (or their parents, in some cases) came of age in that and took it entirely at face value and then the 60's hit them like a brick and now we must suck since we totally used to love america way more all the time :patriot:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

The thing about this attitude that always gets me is that nobody ever suggests fixing people, they just leap towards killing or sterilizing them. You want more educated people in the world, and fewer stupid people? Why not try educating them? I mean, durr. But I suppose that might mean confronting certain notions about the justness of the world and one's own superiority within it.

Can we start with people casually write off "broken" people here on SA? :can:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Well, one of the basic tenets many of these people hold dear is that the various forms of untermensch are just not educable.

Birth is destiny! Blood will be true! (Please ignore age old maxims like "The first one makes it, the second one keeps it and the third wastes it." or the fact that we are in fact all humans with remarkably little variation.)

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Munin posted:

Well, one of the basic tenets many of these people hold dear is that the various forms of untermensch are just not educable.

Birth is destiny! Blood will be true! (Please ignore age old maxims like "The first one makes it, the second one keeps it and the third wastes it." or the fact that we are in fact all humans with remarkably little variation.)

I don't know if anybody here has a personal acquaintance who is roughly aligned with manosphere or NRx stuff but it is an extremely frustrating experience. Since they usually like and respect you, they try to convince you that you're an ubermensch and should unite with them against the underclasses. But if you are left of centre, they also tell you that you're a fool because of your beliefs. The most confusing conversation I've ever had was when an acquaintance tried to convince me that I had the Empathy Gene, a gene most often expressed in white people, that proved whites were better than blacks... but that empathy was foolish, and I should stop empathizing with black people. :psyduck:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I don't know if anybody here has a personal acquaintance who is roughly aligned with manosphere or NRx stuff but it is an extremely frustrating experience. Since they usually like and respect you, they try to convince you that you're an ubermensch and should unite with them against the underclasses. But if you are left of centre, they also tell you that you're a fool because of your beliefs. The most confusing conversation I've ever had was when an acquaintance tried to convince me that I had the Empathy Gene, a gene most often expressed in white people, that proved whites were better than blacks... but that empathy was foolish, and I should stop empathizing with black people. :psyduck:

"The biggest problem with white people is that they're too nice to other races" is a popular fascist idea.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Roast Beef has no time for that guy's horseshit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weldon Pemberton posted:

"You see the Vulcans on Star Trek were so cool because they had emotions and learned to completely suppress them, not because they were void of them completely" - what a nerd thinks probably

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

"You see the Vulcans on Star Trek were so cool because they had emotions and learned to completely suppress them, not because they were void of them completely" - what a nerd thinks probably

That's why they discover space-travel first, but end up as no more than a curiosity in the human-dominated Federation.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Romulans were always way cooler than the Vulcans, I would have liked to see more development of the Romulans (but not in a terrible Nematodes Nemesis way) and sympathetic Romulan characters in old-Trek.

No Star Trek Online doesn't count, it's an MMO so by definition every story and world thing it has is complete garbage designed to prop up the game systems

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

"The biggest problem with white people is that they're too nice to other races" is a popular fascist idea.
This is an interesting distillation of the SJW attack thing, do you have anything I could check out which explores it further? Or is this just the progression that you get when white people poo poo on white people for not treating their race like their local football team, and just stated elegantly and succinctly?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao bringing up Weimar loving Germany as an origin of the existential threat to western civilization.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Fascinatingly (and probably unsurprisingly), this outlook doesn't even remotely hold water. The Center of Juvenile and Criminal Justice put out a very interesting report two years ago on the subject:

http://www.cjcj.org/news/6523#.U_7pIhE0qN0.twitter

quote:

Imagine that a time-liberated version of vigilante George Zimmerman sees two youths walking through his neighborhood: black, hoodied Trayvon Martin of 2012, and a white teen from 1959 (say Bud Anderson from Father Knows Best). Based purely on statistics of race and era, which one should Zimmerman most fear of harboring criminal intent? Answer: He should fear (actually, not fear) them equally; each has about the same low odds of committing a crime.

For nearly all serious and minor offenses, including homicide, rates among black teenagers nationally were lower in 2011 than when racial statistics were first collected nationally in 1964. Black youths’ murder arrest rates are considerably lower today than back when Bill Cosby was funny (long, long ago).

We don’t associate Jim and Margaret Anderson’s 1950s cherubs with juvenile crime—but that’s based on nostalgia and cultural biases, not fact. Back then, nearly 1 in 10 youth were arrested every year; today, around 3 in 100. Limited statistics of the 1950s show juvenile crime wasn’t just pranks and joyriding; “younger and younger children” are committing “the most wanton and senseless of murders… and mass rape,” the chair of the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency warned in 1956.

Since the sainted Fifties, America has seen rapid teenage population growth and dramatic shifts toward more single parenting, more lethal drugs and weapons, increased middle-aged (that is, parent-age) drug abuse and imprisonment, decreased incarceration of youth, decreased youthful religious affiliation, and more violent and explicit media available to younger ages. Horrifying, as the culture critics far Right to far Left—including Obama, who spends many pages and speeches berating popular culture as some major driver of bad youth behavior—repeatedly insist.

And after 50 years of all these terrible changes in American culture? Today’s young African Americans display the lowest rates of crime and serious risk of any generation that can be reliably assessed.

In the last 20 years in particular, the FBI reports, rates of crime among African American youth have plummeted: All offenses (down 47%), drug offenses (down 50%), property offenses (down 51%), serious Part I offenses (down 53%), assault (down 59%), robbery (down 60%), all violent offenses (down 60%), rape (down 66%), and murder (down 82%).

New, 2012 figures from California’s Criminal Justice Statistics Center reveal that the state’s black youth show the lowest level of homicide arrest since statewide racial tabulations were first assembled in 1960. Nearly every type of offense—felony, misdemeanor, and status—is much rarer among black youth today than in past generations.

The black youth crime drop is not due to “getting tough”—just the opposite. In 2012, a record-low 231 California black youth were locked up in state correctional facilities, compared to over 2,000 in the mid-1990s, and 800 in 1959, the first year numbers were kept. “Status crime” policing of black youth, reflected in curfew, loitering, and other non-criminal-stops, also has fallen to record lows. Little solid evidence connects policies to reduced crime, except maybe for the correlation with increased college enrollment.

You can see from these paragraphs why the huge improvements in behavior among America’s, and particularly California’s, African American teenagers over the last 20 to 40 years is a distressing development for so many powerful interests across the spectrum.

quote:

The sad reality is that authorities, academic experts, politicians, and geriatric-media reporters (the average age of news consumers is well over 50) of 2013 simply do not know how to deal with a young black population that is not committing shootings, robberies, drug mayhem, and gangsterisms in mass numbers—let alone one that is dramatically less criminal than the older generations deploring them.

Now, it would only be Rational to absorb this data and alter your model to account for the changes, wouldn't it?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's because we took the lead out of gasoline.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

StandardVC10 posted:

That's what the Cathedral wants you to think.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Fascinatingly (and probably unsurprisingly), this outlook doesn't even remotely hold water. The Center of Juvenile and Criminal Justice put out a very interesting report two years ago on the subject:

http://www.cjcj.org/news/6523#.U_7pIhE0qN0.twitter

Now, it would only be Rational to absorb this data and alter your model to account for the changes, wouldn't it?
I would like to see added to this the fact that most violence is very homophilic. So most young black men who murder murder young black men, and so on with young white men etc. (Although this may in part be due to semi-segregegated lifestyles, so maybe once they see you, you're in equal danger again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

StandardVC10 posted:

I suspect that is a large component but I'd also suspect a decrease in lead and other environmental contaminants in the homes and playgrounds of impoverished urban areas plays a part.