Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you can tell if you're doing enough damage if you pass the dps checks. if you don't, you're not!

Yea that works if you are the only one doing damage. With more people it turns into a witch hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tenzarin posted:

Just another reason they need to have a damage meter in the game. No one really knows what they are doing without it.

People who want damage meters (like me) can get them (I did).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the hardest dps check in the game is nm ifrit's nail and they all get easier from there

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm just really frustrated when you do Sohm Al and do half the party's DPS as a Warrior.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

But if they add damage meters it might hurt that bard who's doing 160 dps at 60's feelings. And it's unfair to be judged for your personal performance in a cooperative videogame.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i, too, hate being a huge burly warrior with a fuckoff axe and making huge numbers

is a thing i would say if i was turbonerd who hated fun

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

KaneTW posted:

Not really. We did it with 170 weapons and like 150 average ilvl

Probably because they tuned it to allow players with optimized rotations to beat it with mediocre gear, which lets other players try to bridge the gap with better gear

It's still one of the more strict dps checks I've seen outside of coil, it's just not a gear check.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
knowing who the problem is doesn't actually change anything, because 'being bad' isn't currently a vote-kickable offense and that's unlikely to change

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

But if they add damage meters it might hurt that bard who's doing 160 dps at 60's feelings. And it's unfair to be judged for your personal performance in a cooperative videogame.

Based on the parses I've been seeing in my runs of things, can confirm: bards are useless.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

knowing who the problem is doesn't actually change anything, because 'being bad' isn't currently a vote-kickable offense and that's unlikely to change

Uh, you can only access Bismarck/Ravana Ex with a premade, and if you think people can't or won't exit the fight and kick out the poo poo dps then lol.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KaneTW posted:

I'm just really frustrated when you do Sohm Al and do half the party's DPS as a Warrior.

It's just kinda boggling. None of the rotations in this game are especially hard or unintuitive: there's usually some kind of damage boost you want to maintain, 1-3 DoTs to keep up, and maybe a few combos or some extra mechanic you have to juggle (Umbral/Astral), but the difference in damage I see when I'm running with DPS I know that are good vs. random people from DF is loving staggering most of the time.

fount of knowledge posted:

Uh, you can only access Bismarck/Ravana Ex with a premade, and if you think people can't or won't exit the fight and kick out the poo poo dps then lol.

I actually was wondering: you can't report someone for randomly kicking you from PF, right? The only thing that makes me hesitant is that you're not supposed to actually mention DPS parsing in a public party context, and I'd feel bad just randomly slagging some dude without any feedback over why.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ff14's general player culture tends to lean heavily towards "you don't pay my sub i can do whatever the gently caress i want" far more than other mmos. I had a ninja get pissy and drop group last night because I was apparently a "tryhard raider" because I (in a non rear end in a top hat way) reminded him to turn his poison on and keep huton up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Being bad is harassment on the highest level.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Most people, by nature, don't want to be the person holding the group back.

Like everyone already said, groups serious about tackling progression content that requires certain numbers being hit already have parsers and evaluate themselves.

But I think it would be nice to give dps something to measure their progress with outside of terms of service breaking third party tools. Maybe a parser that only the player could see, or a training dummy that told you how much damage you did after a set time.

I've never experienced the joys of wow style dps epeen fights and I don't want that to happen here, but I've also done enough Bismarck ex groups with good people that want to do well but aren't pushing out the numbers and are confused as to why they're failing that I can't help but feel There's Got To Be A Better Way

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
There's already a dps meter in game for 4 or 8 man stuff, it's called the aggro ratings by party member's names :smuggo:

Running ARF as a tank with dps who have nearly full law gear while I'm only in HQ whites is suffering tho

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

the entire point of premades is to avoid 'i am stuck with bad strangers in semi-difficult content'. if you don't want to be self-selecting that's fine but there's a reason 99 percent of the game doesn't require premades and it's because it's not difficult.

there's been plenty of times i've had to tank tam tara or some bullshit as a lancer because the tank sucked and somehow i manage to not really give a poo poo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kitfox88 posted:

There's already a dps meter in game for 4 or 8 man stuff, it's called the aggro ratings by party member's names :smuggo:

Running ARF as a tank with dps who have nearly full law gear while I'm only in HQ whites is suffering tho

The thing about judging how you are doing based on DPS alone is worthless. You really have to see damage done. Anyone can get like 1 billion dps in an opener, damage done actually shows what you did for a fight. Threat levels are even more worthless because they give you threat reduction moves.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Vermain posted:

I actually was wondering: you can't report someone for randomly kicking you from PF, right? The only thing that makes me hesitant is that you're not supposed to actually mention DPS parsing in a public party context, and I'd feel bad just randomly slagging some dude without any feedback over why.

From what I understand, the standing policy is kinda dumb in that even if you genuinely want to help the person with honest feedback, "[Bad Player], you're only doing 100 dps, you need to fine-tune your rotation on a testing dummy/use cooldowns/not have all your procs on one macro" could be construed by the person as using a third-party parser to harass someone.

Kicking someone from the group with "[Bad], you're doing the least amount of damage of the group, you need to fine-tune your rotation on a testing dummy/use cooldowns/not have all your procs on one macro." is fine though, and no, they can't report you for it as long as you don't tacitly admit to using parsers.

Like I said, kinda dumb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

From what I understand, the standing policy is kinda dumb in that even if you genuinely want to help the person with honest feedback, "[Bad Player], you're only doing 100 dps, you need to fine-tune your rotation on a testing dummy/use cooldowns/not have all your procs on one macro" could be construed by the person as using a third-party parser to harass someone.

Kicking someone from the group with "[Bad], you're doing the least amount of damage of the group, you need to fine-tune your rotation on a testing dummy/use cooldowns/not have all your procs on one macro." is fine though, and no, they can't report you for it as long as you don't tacitly admit to using parsers.

Like I said, kinda dumb.

Vote abandon.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Tarranon posted:

I've never experienced the joys of wow style dps epeen fights and I don't want that to happen here, but I've also done enough Bismarck ex groups with good people that want to do well but aren't pushing out the numbers and are confused as to why they're failing that I can't help but feel There's Got To Be A Better Way

I started using ACT two nights ago to try and improve my own play since I really want to try and keep up with content now that I've caught up to the gear curve and I've never played an MMO seriously before this, and DPS checks seem to be A Thing.

But yeah I was in a Bismark EX group that kept failing the water/wind dps check by like 1-5% last night and one of the dps consistently had less damage than me (tank), while the other 3 had ~twice as much. And I was just like, man I don't wanna put this guy on blast, but also drat we just wasted like an hour and a half failing on the same part. Weird situation. I just didn't say anything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The less number of people in the group, makes everyones contribution even more important. And if they end up wanting healers more into a only healing mode that makes each of the dps job like 20% of the fight. If someone is under performing that is most likely not going to be mitigated by other players being "gooder".

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Failboattootoot posted:

Based on the parses I've been seeing in my runs of things, can confirm: bards are useless.

I started parsing Bismarck because I'm have zero luck with that thing (and since I'm not on Excalibur and don't have, like, raiding buddies to turn to or anything I have to rely on random idiots) and as a Bard I'm fairly consistently coming second or third in my parties and generally doing comparable damage to the rest of the DPS. Which speaks to how miserable a time I'm having trying to find DPS decent enough to get through it. I can hold my own, but the rest of the real DPS really really need to be holding their own too.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is there a better general overview for leveling from 55-60?

I just finished the Aery for the first time last night, and I'm about 400K into 55. I have one more story quest I can do before needing to be 56 to continue.

I've tried so far to leave sidequests for alt jobs, but I've done 5-6 of them anyway. bad idea?

- duty roulettes each day (+ challenge log completions)
- sidequests?
- running the highest level dungeon over and over (currently Aery)?
- ??

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

I started parsing Bismarck because I'm have zero luck with that thing (and since I'm not on Excalibur and don't have, like, raiding buddies to turn to or anything I have to rely on random idiots) and as a Bard I'm fairly consistently coming second or third in my parties and generally doing comparable damage to the rest of the DPS. Which speaks to how miserable a time I'm having trying to find DPS decent enough to get through it. I can hold my own, but the rest of the real DPS really really need to be holding their own too.

I was mostly just kidding. It's true that the majority of poo poo dps I have seen are bards, but I've also partied with a couple bards who were totally fine. Mostly that says to me that how to be a good bard got really opaque. Probably people trying to get a handle on minuet.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Is there a better general overview for leveling from 55-60?

I just finished the Aery for the first time last night, and I'm about 400K into 55. I have one more story quest I can do before needing to be 56 to continue.

I've tried so far to leave sidequests for alt jobs, but I've done 5-6 of them anyway. bad idea?

- duty roulettes each day (+ challenge log completions)
- sidequests?
- running the highest level dungeon over and over (currently Aery)?
- ??

For my first job, doing sidequests and daily hunts was enough to get me through 60 while only hitting a couple spots where the story dropped me for a level.

On my second, daily hunts + low level and high level and trial roulettes gets me about 2/3 of a level and it's still an enormous slog; I really feel like they're going to have to do something about the absurd XP required to level, or maybe buff the XP from FATEs, or something

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Weren't dungeons/fates trash exp in 2.0 too and then got buffed later?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Truga posted:

Weren't dungeons/fates trash exp in 2.0 too and then got buffed later?

It was mostly dungeons, Fates were how everyone leveled for the most part.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

I was mostly just kidding. It's true that the majority of poo poo dps I have seen are bards, but I've also partied with a couple bards who were totally fine. Mostly that says to me that how to be a good bard got really opaque. Probably people trying to get a handle on minuet.

For some reason I've been seeing a lot of bad summoners but I went all-in on SCH so I don't really know anything about how to play SMN. I'm told they have a difficult rotation, though, so maybe it's just a case of most people having no idea what they're doing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I really hope they buff FATE xp in the expansion areas. It seems like they don't scale with their level at all currently.

Maybe they wanted people to run the new dungeons a lot instead of just FATE grinding the new zones into oblivion? But it's weird that they made these huge new zones with tons of FATEs and then discourage anyone from ever doing them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Opposing Farce posted:

For some reason I've been seeing a lot of bad summoners but I went all-in on SCH so I don't really know anything about how to play SMN. I'm told they have a difficult rotation, though, so maybe it's just a case of most people having no idea what they're doing.

The thing about Summoner is that we don't really have a rotation, we have a system of priorities based on watching eight different timers, most of which are DoTs, and the rest are buffs (aether trail, trance).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Expansions are always rough because the vast majority of players don't know how/have the practice to figure things out on their own because How To Play Bard or Summoner or whatever had been more or less figured out for two years so all you had to do was look up a guide. There's also all the self proclaimed experts of the new classes who have claimed to figure everything out. It'll probably last until a bit after 3.1 after the first major balance pass hits.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The thing about Summoner is that we don't really have a rotation, we have a system of priorities based on watching eight different timers, most of which are DoTs, and the rest are buffs (aether trail, trance).

I mean in a sense that's true of all the jobs--to be honest I've never really looked at what I'm doing as a "rotation" so much as I'm doing what I need to do based on whether my dots/buffs/etc. need to be re-upped or not. Summoners definitely have more timers to juggle than most, though.

One time in Busmarck we had a summoner who couldn't get tri-disaster to work on the back (not sure what was up with that) and then decided it would take too much time to apply the dots manually so he just wouldn't use any of his dots or fester or anything. Needless to say we weren't able to get past the carapace until we convinced him that no, you really do need to cast those things.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Opposing Farce posted:

I mean in a sense that's true of all the jobs--to be honest I've never really looked at what I'm doing as a "rotation" so much as I'm doing what I need to do based on whether my dots/buffs/etc. need to be re-upped or not. Summoners definitely have more timers to juggle than most, though.

One time in Busmarck we had a summoner who couldn't get tri-disaster to work on the back (not sure what was up with that) and then decided it would take too much time to apply the dots manually so he just wouldn't use any of his dots or fester or anything. Needless to say we weren't able to get past the carapace until we convinced him that no, you really do need to cast those things.

You need to be standing on top of Bismarck for anything to work as SMN, including Ruin. (Guessing it's the same for all jobs, but that's the one I have experience with.)

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

Tenzarin posted:

The thing about judging how you are doing based on DPS alone is worthless. You really have to see damage done. Anyone can get like 1 billion dps in an opener, damage done actually shows what you did for a fight. Threat levels are even more worthless because they give you threat reduction moves.

I think a lot of people use enc dps, which is damage averaged over the entire encounter.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Technogeek posted:

You need to be standing on top of Bismarck for anything to work as SMN, including Ruin. (Guessing it's the same for all jobs, but that's the one I have experience with.)

Yeah it's the same for bard. You can't stand on the island and shoot the carapace, your attacks will go of and look like they hit, but they don't do any damage or apply dots/debuffs. In fact, that might be why people fail those checks a lot if they're not paying attention.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed about Fractal Continuum's last boss. That's a very hard-hitting tankbuster on a very short timer, I have yet to run a group that oneshots it. Frankly, it's just not very fun, and I would much rather run around Neverreap and swing my axe around for ludicrous crits on adds.

Rei_ posted:

Jaiseillex Dentonnier

Adamsoix Jensennier

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed about Fractal Continuum's last boss. That's a very hard-hitting tankbuster on a very short timer, I have yet to run a group that oneshots it. Frankly, it's just not very fun, and I would much rather run around Neverreap and swing my axe around for ludicrous crits on adds.

lol

it's a 5k attack on a warrior that hits every 30 seconds you can inner beast every single one of them but you don't need to because

it
hits
a
wet
fart

E: i'm also a fan of the spoilers around fractal continuum and neverreap

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 3, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Both of the times I've run that dungeon we one-shot the last boss (wiped a couple times to trash due to overeager pulls though).

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm sorry to say you may have just exposed yourself as A Bad Player. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

psymonkey posted:

I'm sorry to say you may have just exposed yourself as A Bad Player. :saddowns:

it's swissarmydruid he's total loving garbage so there's no "just" there

• Locked thread