Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

hihifellow posted:

Hey, we use NextGen!

I cheered when our CIO recently announced the physician's group was not renewing their contract and going with something else.

We're coming from an ancient ancient version of AllScripts Misys Tiger and EMR so honestly anything is an improvement. We even have a test environment now!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Yeah but we already had this discussion so either you're moving out of Union, or you're transferring at Newark.

If you really think this is a good wage, then go for it, but don't be afraid to ask for more and get haggled down. Did you already give previous salaries, etc?

I was just hoping for an excuse to use goonsay :v

I told the recruiter, didn't tell the client. He put me forth at 105k but we didn't know jack about healthcare costs and Transitcheck. I was able to get that info out of the client and after the face-to-face round 2 I had with them on Tuesday (I think it was Tuesday) they confirmed no Transitcheck and healthcare costs around $150 more per month.

I turned that around to the recruiter when I was having my follow-up call with him after the interview and telling him my apprehension over the commute, lack of remote, and helpdesk bits. He said he could try to push for 110, 115, but asked me what the magic number would be for me to drop all reservations and go. I told him 130k - "hey, you wanted a number that would kill my reservations and get me to accept, that's it" despite its unrealistic nature.

I have a 7:45 AM on Monday with an MSP near Penn, which has been my first choice since it was put forth to me. They claim it involves minimal client interaction, and then it'd only be for escalated tickets if I had to reach out to the client for info/etc. I'm iffy given my previous MSP experience at a smaller place where literally everyone but the seniors did some form of helpdesk garbage, but it's right across 7th Ave from Penn.

For me, it's a good wage. For the position, I think I would push higher. If nothing else, the back-and-forth would buy time while the 7th Ave people play out.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
lovely recruiters are ALWAYS going "give me a number that will allay all your fears", but they don't actually WANT that number because most of the time it puts them out of the running.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Daylen Drazzi posted:

lovely recruiters are ALWAYS going "give me a number that will allay all your fears", but they don't actually WANT that number because most of the time it puts them out of the running.

This is actually how I deal with recruiters. Short small talk session, then let them know that I won't be able to look at anything under $X. That has so far stopped the conversation every time, since $X is only just barely within the universe of salaries for the positions I'm in (software engineer/engineering manager). One time it didn't stop the conversation and I had a new job a month later.

One recruiter thought I'd be a great fit for a contract position with the "possibility of benefits". I told him that it sounded great, as long as I was 1099'd at $200/hr with all transportation to client and meals for those days expensed to the client.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Siochain posted:

Webroot is 3 kinds of loving poo poo.

That is all.
Alternatively we have Webroot on about 800 endpoints across a dozen or more sites and haven't had any problem since we started using it last year.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an interview came in.

Had a second interview today, knocked it out of the park. Start the new tier 2 position on Monday.

Pay is pretty decent, benefits are good and they have a monthly employee outside work group activity thing they do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blackswordca posted:

So an interview came in.

Had a second interview today, knocked it out of the park. Start the new tier 2 position on Monday.

Pay is pretty decent, benefits are good and they have a monthly employee outside work group activity thing they do.

:toot:

A SH/SC success story!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

So an interview came in.

lets hope that this job doesnt end as quickly as the last :yotj:

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD
My collected favorites from my own experiences as an IT field tech (copied from my Facebook page). Longish but I think its funny.

NOC: Oh NO you are using 97% of the bandwidth at your location.
Me: Well interrupt my download and tell me to stop.
NOC: You aren't supposed to be downloading that big a file.
Me: Yes that's right are you telling me to stop?
NOC: Well no....

I stepped in POLITICS at work, this may result in unemployment.
Ended up in phone call by a VIP on behalf of another bigger VIP and my explaining what I said when asked a question. A question a large number of people this week approached and asked. The call involved me stating "I wont lie" and resulted in the following (paraphrased) dialog:
VIP: Don't use the word "indefinitely", tell them "its on hold for now but will resume in the future."
Me: Is that the truth or just what you want me to tell them?
VIP: Could you just respond "I don't know?"
Me: Yes...
end of call

Phone meeting with boss today regarding "Colleague Development Plan" form we were required to fill out:
Boss "you are the only one who left the strengths and weaknesses blank"
Me "yes, though if you have something you want me to put on there I can"
Longish silence
Boss "everyone else put down things like (he listed several examples of strengths from others)"
Me "those aren't strengths those are what's required to do the job"
Boss "well what would you list on a resume as strengths"
Me "I don't I only list facts"
The conversation ended inconclusively. I still appear to be employed.

End of an email at work today:
"If necessary, I will escalate. Thank you for your prompt attention in resolving this."
What does "escalate" mean exactly? The colleague is going to mobilize troops on my border? Roll tanks into my cities? Go Nuclear?
I, not liking military threats to my sovereign nation, responded with "Escalate if you need to". Also included was an explanation of why the situation was the way it was and what was being done. This fine bit of diplomacy immediately resulted in: “It’s unfortunate that you feel that way. I will need to escalate this so that it can be resolved sooner than later.”
Tomorrow will see if I must repel an invading force.

I have had a conversation over the last couple of days with my company's accounting department.
"No I am not the end user of hundreds computers and peripherals shipped to my name over the last few years. I am a field tech, the equipment comes to me then gets sent on to its eventual home. Why do you ask?" "Amortization / depreciation for tax purposes."
As it turns out accounting only has access to the vendor shipping summary and that has only my address. I would have thought someone might have questioned all the orders several YEARS ago.

I had to respond to a complaint about me sent to my boss today. I get a couple of these a year, with what I do its expected. The complaint was I didn't provide training on how to use the newly installed 2nd monitor and my response why was too blunt.
"Sorry we are not providing training, just doing the installation, you drag from screen to screen. Any special training will come from your new company <new company>."
While doing 40 of these upgrades an additional 5-10 minutes per for training would add 200-400 minutes to the overall project. There simply wasn't time for training in the time allotted nor were we contracted for it.
The boss's solution when I asked how he would handle it: "Escalate it to the transition coordinator from <new company>." Um OK so I should say "Please speak to <X> of <new company> regarding training."
Is this any less "blunt" somehow?
PS Who needs training on how to use a monitor??

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Ultrasperg Cometh

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Illuminatus posted:

I have no strengths

agreed

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Yes.

Illuminatus posted:

but I think its funny.

No.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
One or two were amusing to me, but I really wouldn't be posting anything on my job on Facebook. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That post is what :goonsay: was created for.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I like the parts where he is just obstinate and confrontational with his superiors and also end users so that's cool.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Gilok posted:

I like the parts where he is just obstinate and confrontational with his superiors and also end users so that's cool.

I bet he doesn’t play POLITICS either, aka talk to his boss or coworkers in a reasonable manner.

Illuminatus posted:

Longish silence
Boss "everyone else put down things like (he listed several examples of strengths from others)"

For some reason I get the vibe of someone who yells “am I being detained” at cops a lot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's possible for something to be considered one of your strengths and a statement saying that to be factual :psyboom:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I bet he doesn’t play POLITICS either, aka talk to his boss or coworkers in a reasonable manner.

This was my first thought.

Dude, you need to chill out because you come across as pretty caustic.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

It's possible for something to be considered one of your strengths and a statement saying that to be factual :psyboom:

My greatest weakness is that I have too many strengths.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

My greatest weakness is that I have too many strengths.

My greatest strength is that I have no weaknesses.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Let's be honest here.

Agrikk posted:

Dude, you need to chill out because you come across as pretty autistic.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Let's be honest here.

Smiling-with-approval gif from the PYF thread

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My boss once claimed that W3C sued someone over trying to add code to the HTML standard without their permission or something. This is really bothering me because the statement itself is obviously full of poo poo but I think there's some kind of bizarre half-truth in that statement somewhere that's getting twisted into an outright lie. Did W3C sue anyone over something like this?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

My boss once claimed that W3C sued someone over trying to add code to the HTML standard without their permission or something. This is really bothering me because the statement itself is obviously full of poo poo but I think there's some kind of bizarre half-truth in that statement somewhere that's getting twisted into an outright lie. Did W3C sue anyone over something like this?

W3C publishes recommendations. You can't force anyone to follow a recommendation. W3C also isn't a business, they don't have commercial or political interests as an organization, rather they're formed by employees/volunteers from actual companies and organizations that have an interest in an interoperable and accessible WWW.

The main thing I can think of, your boss might be referring to, would be Microsoft being a member of the W3C and not implementing the HTML 4, XHTML and CSS 2 recommendations according to spec, making IE 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 universally loathed by developers. That's mostly just a question of double standard.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
An alarming number of computers I've remoted into over the last few week's have been running either xp or server 2003.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
e: nvm

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 5, 2015

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bigass Moth posted:

An alarming number of computers I've remoted into over the last few week's have been running either xp or server 2003.

Most of my workplace is still running XP because my boss wouldn't test out our old rear end radio software in 7 nor would he consider running XP in a VM.

Yes, these computers are connected to the internet :smithicide:

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Haquer posted:

Most of my workplace is still running XP because my boss wouldn't test out our old rear end radio software in 7 nor would he consider running XP in a VM.

Those computers are so owned.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Haquer posted:

Wow, those special extended support contracts with Microsoft must cost a fortune.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

nielsm posted:

W3C publishes recommendations. You can't force anyone to follow a recommendation. W3C also isn't a business, they don't have commercial or political interests as an organization, rather they're formed by employees/volunteers from actual companies and organizations that have an interest in an interoperable and accessible https://www.

The main thing I can think of, your boss might be referring to, would be Microsoft being a member of the W3C and not implementing the HTML 4, XHTML and CSS 2 recommendations according to spec, making IE 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 universally loathed by developers. That's mostly just a question of double standard.

See, that's what I thought. My boss unfortunately has a lot of cargo cult type knowledge where he's tried to figure stuff out on his own based on bits and pieces he's picked up and it's assembled into something that doesn't at all resemble reality.

One time he insisted to me that there are eight governing bodies of the Internet. I asked him to name some, so he googles "governing bodies of the Internet," finds an NPR article in the results, points to it, and says "NPR, that's one."

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

See, that's what I thought. My boss unfortunately has a lot of cargo cult type knowledge where he's tried to figure stuff out on his own based on bits and pieces he's picked up and it's assembled into something that doesn't at all resemble reality.

One time he insisted to me that there are eight governing bodies of the Internet. I asked him to name some, so he googles "governing bodies of the Internet," finds an NPR article in the results, points to it, and says "NPR, that's one."

So going by that, the 8 governing bodies are:

Wikipedia, blogspot, metafilter, NPR, The Economist, about.com, acm.org and the Nigerian Communication Commission.

That sounds about right.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So going by that, the 8 governing bodies are:

Wikipedia, blogspot, metafilter, NPR, The Economist, about.com, acm.org and the Nigerian Communication Commission.

That sounds about right.

Where does yahoo answers fit in?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Yahoo answers is the lower house of the Internet Governing Body. It pre-filters legislation for the BIG 8.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wow, those special extended support contracts with Microsoft must cost a fortune.

Hahahdklhgasdlkg;alkf :suicide:

This place is so hosed (and I'm certain most of this backwards rear end town is the same way).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Where does yahoo answers fit in?

How is webbsite formed. How markup get rindered.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Ursine Asylum posted:

Let's be honest here.

On the other hand if you can't handle slightly autistic people you probably shouldn't be an IT manager...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

There are other Nextgen support people here? Hi! We have one of the larger environments that NextGen supports here at my company. Eastern and Central time zone database servers, we used to have just one environment but it became too large so we had to separate it, that was a fun project! 8 or so different non production environments, each timezone has a development, demo and a few random other test environments. We have a NextGen tech that basically works onsite here as a contractor for any issues we need resolved ASAP, but he is about useless. Our support internally is setup kinda uniquely, we have separate EHR and EPM teams, a general support team, and then I get escalated any issues those guys can't figure out, good times let me tell ya.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

peak debt posted:

On the other hand if you can't handle slightly autistic people you probably shouldn't be an IT manager...

quote:

Phone meeting with boss today regarding "Colleague Development Plan" form we were required to fill out:
Longish silence
The conversation ended inconclusively. I still appear to be employed.

Joking aside, that sounds like he was handling it as well as possible, although thinking to himself "never promoting this guy".

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

mattfl posted:

There are other Nextgen support people here? Hi! We have one of the larger environments that NextGen supports here at my company. Eastern and Central time zone database servers, we used to have just one environment but it became too large so we had to separate it, that was a fun project! 8 or so different non production environments, each timezone has a development, demo and a few random other test environments. We have a NextGen tech that basically works onsite here as a contractor for any issues we need resolved ASAP, but he is about useless. Our support internally is setup kinda uniquely, we have separate EHR and EPM teams, a general support team, and then I get escalated any issues those guys can't figure out, good times let me tell ya.

It's weird that other people here get to deal with nextgen. Ours is a single site cloud hosted app hosted by a reseller and my biggest complaint is support is useless. If it can't be solved by clearing IE's cache then it's something with our network. What that something is is anyone's guess, but it can't be their ducked up java ssl tunnel with the expired cert, no siree.

I think that's more on the reseller than nextgen though.

Don't get me started on the software they use to scan insurance cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My Boss, to entire team posted:

Guys,

Just heard from $ADMIN that the inspector will be at $OFFICE_WE_ARE_MOVING_TO at 3pm today. Computers will be powered off at 2pm to be prepped to move. Please save anything you're working on and shut down your pcs prior to that time.

We should be able to report to the new office first thing tomorrow morning. Desks may or may not actually be installed at that point.

:allears: We were supposed to move last Wednesday, and every successive day since then

• Locked thread