Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ilyich posted:

Such as?

The Excalibur, the Defender, the Chicken Knife?

The reason you get the Chicken Knife isn't because other Knightswords are better than the Brave Blade per se, but because Knights already have a host of good options, and knife users next-best option is... 40 attack power worse and doesn't have a double multiplier attached to it.

The Chicken Knife is the best weapon in the game for a large number of jobs. The Brave Blade is the best weapon in the game for one job, and adds a significant amount of tedium/annoyance to the game besides.

Easy loving decision for me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Simply Simon posted:

Sooo I am at Omniscient with Ninja/Thief/Samurai and trying the strat someone recommended to me, which is Mage Masher proc + Zeninage, Zeninage. I have everyone on Hermes Sandals and after like 20 tries Silence did stick twice, so that's okaaay, I guess, BUT - I literally do not have enough time to input even one Zeninage until Omniscient casts Return again, which is really weird to me.

I am on Android; is that possibly something they just "fixed"? I don't understand why he even keeps casting Return after the first three attempts (Mage Masher + Twin Lance hit)...at least my first Zeninage should hit, right?

The timing for status effects on heavies is about four seconds of live clock, and slightly shorter than the recovery time of a high-agility hasted character. If you want to chain a move after than silence, you need the other characters charged and ready to go before you drop the proc.

Battle speed sets how long the clock stops when someone's turn comes up, and thus how long you have to enter a command before cutting into your window of opportunity.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Presumably, the Brave Blade / Chicken Knife choice is another one of those first-time player traps. Because honestly, which one sounds cooler to have? If they really wanted it to be an even choice, they'd make it a normal sword instead of a knight sword, and have it start off with a few more points to bring it even with the Chicken Knife's damage modifiers.

Not to mention that if you're playing FF5 after a marathon of Dissidia, your brain remembers that the Brave Blade is really loving strong and Bartz bashes peoples' faces in and wow that must mean it's the "right" choice :downs:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The Excalibur, the Defender, the Chicken Knife?

The reason you get the Chicken Knife isn't because other Knightswords are better than the Brave Blade per se, but because Knights already have a host of good options, and knife users next-best option is... 40 attack power worse and doesn't have a double multiplier attached to it.

The Chicken Knife is the best weapon in the game for a large number of jobs. The Brave Blade is the best weapon in the game for one job, and adds a significant amount of tedium/annoyance to the game besides.

Easy loving decision for me. :v:

OK, that makes sense. I was just curious about my options for later in the game, thats all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

To be fair, the Brave Blade is a bit better in a normal playthrough because you can switch to a Knight whenever you want, and every random encounter can be trivialised through the right job selection. Then again, on a normal playthrough I probably wouldn't bother with either, since there's plenty of strong weapons available that don't require grinding.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In a regular playthrough, you'd have abilities that could bypass the Knife's flee effect as well.

I'd only consider doing Brave Blade if it was a party that'd need at least three knight swords and had no abilities to bypass flee. Maybe if you're dumb enough to do Classic and get three Knights?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

In a regular playthrough, you'd have abilities that could bypass the Knife's flee effect as well.

I'd only consider doing Brave Blade if it was a party that'd need at least three knight swords and had no abilities to bypass flee. Maybe if you're dumb enough to do Classic and get three Knights?

I'm about to go to the Rift with Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai and went with Brave Blade. Had no way to mitigate the flee effect and I can use both Excal and BB no problem. The no running thing didn't bother me until the Pyramid (seriously gently caress the Pyramid) but I just ended up throwing money at everything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:shepface:

well... thank god for yolo 750in' it?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kyrosiris posted:

:shepface:

well... thank god for yolo 750in' it?

Oh jeez.

At least Time gives Equip Rods, so you can have more than one person on offense?

Hopefully your Earth roll is something that can damage Omega so you don't have to Quickleak him to death.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Would like to thank the FAQ writer for making it clear what Mineuchi actually does. That one always puzzled me, and using it in conjunction with the Sleep Blade was indeed a nice, cheezy way to get past Atomos.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

Oh jeez.

At least Time gives Equip Rods, so you can have more than one person on offense?

Hopefully your Earth roll is something that can damage Omega so you don't have to Quickleak him to death.

I already planned on quickleaking him, so meh. I'm more worried about "please let it be something with offense so I do not have to comet my way through world 2". :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I never really got people wanting to find a way around the Flee effect on Chicken Knife. That poo poo only works on random encounters and you should probably be running from them anyway.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jibo posted:

I never really got people wanting to find a way around the Flee effect on Chicken Knife. That poo poo only works on random encounters and you should probably be running from them anyway.
The issue is that it will still trigger in boss encounters. You won't be able to flee, but you will waste a turn making an attempt to do so.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Best place to farm Elixirs in W3?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NGDBSS posted:

The issue is that it will still trigger in boss encounters. You won't be able to flee, but you will waste a turn making an attempt to do so.

Yeah, that's a pretty serious downside to the chicken knife.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bregor posted:

Flaremancers in the Fork Tower (magic side) have Elixirs as a common steal*, but I am uncertain as to whether you can Teleport out or not. And if that's unavailable to you or if you don't have a thief to steal efficiently...your next option is simply to grind for money. Outright buying them in the Mirage Village will always work, but they cost 50K each.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bregor posted:

If all else fails, there's still Moldwynds in the Wind Shrine. I think.

Level Checkers(?) in the Ronka section of the Rift also have them as a drop, and there's a healing pot only a few screens away.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jibo posted:

the chicken knife's claim to fame is the hilarious amount of damage it deals. The flee effect is kind of like a 25% reduction in damage, except it can kick in at the worst possible moment and cause you to get pasted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Samuel Clemens posted:

To be fair, the Brave Blade is a bit better in a normal playthrough because you can switch to a Knight whenever you want, and every random encounter can be trivialised through the right job selection. Then again, on a normal playthrough I probably wouldn't bother with either, since there's plenty of strong weapons available that don't require grinding.

On a normal playthrough you can give a Knight or Freelancer Blue Magic and have them Goblin Punch with the Brave Blade equipped. That bypasses the script that reduces damage based on how often you run, so you hit with its full power.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

On a normal playthrough you can give a Knight or Freelancer Blue Magic and have them Goblin Punch with the Brave Blade equipped. That bypasses the script that reduces damage based on how often you run, so you hit with its full power.
Not quite. The Chicken Knife gets its multipliers from both Strength and Agility on standard attacks (and things that use that formula), whereas Goblin Punch only gains multipliers based on Strength. (And of course the Chicken Knife is one of the few things that doesn't have a gimped multiplier from Agility.)

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Edward_Tohr posted:

If all else fails, there's still Moldwynds in the Wind Shrine. I think.

Level Checkers(?) in the Ronka section of the Rift also have them as a drop, and there's a healing pot only a few screens away.

The Cure Beast x4 fight is still somewhere on the World Map in W3. Near Surgate, I think. I remember running into them a lot when grinding for Turtle Shells.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Time Mage/White Mage/Bard was kinda huh until I realized I could buy turns to buff up my entire party using Temptation Song while the enemies are busy casting Bio on eachother and then once everyone has Haste/Protect and they all have Slow I can just go loving jam on them with flails. Every fight takes like 15 minutes because it's Death By A Thousand Cuts unless I want to start snapping rods, luckily the rod-snapping thing has been trivializing bosses as I'm preparing to get up in Soul Cannons face, praying that HASTE HASTE HASTE HASTE SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW PROTECT PROTECT PROTECT PROTECT TOOT TOOT LETS GO TO ROD TOWN strat holds

Just using the rods as weapons after softening up the bosses with Demi has been making the cannons leading UP TO Soul Cannon a breeze as I've just been like... Slowing them to a grind so they only get out one or two rocket punches and missiles

I'm still like, really hoping for a Samurai or something out of the Earth Crystal.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 3, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Time Mage/White Mage/Bard was kinda huh until I realized I could buy turns to buff up my entire party using Temptation Song while the enemies are busy casting Bio on eachother and then once everyone has Haste/Protect and they all have Slow I can just go loving jam on them with flails. Every fight takes like 15 minutes because it's Death By A Thousand Cuts unless I want to start snapping rods, luckily the rod-snapping thing has been trivializing bosses as I'm preparing to get up in Soul Cannons face, praying that HASTE HASTE HASTE HASTE SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW PROTECT PROTECT PROTECT PROTECT TOOT TOOT LETS GO TO ROD TOWN strat holds

Just using the rods as weapons after softening up the bosses with Demi has been making the cannons leading UP TO Soul Cannon a breeze as I've just been like... Slowing them to a grind so they only get out one or two rocket punches and missiles

I'm still like, really hoping for a Samurai or something out of the Earth Crystal.

Don't worry too hard, once you get Comet in World 2 things will pick up a lot, and eventually Meteor and Holy... Of course, it'll be a slog until then :v:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
White/Time/Bard here too, I'm doing a 750 run so I kind of brought it on myself. (Just cleared the Fire Ship so no actual Bard yet though.) I was almost hoping for Geomancer just so I'd have some kind of random encounter clearing ability but whatever, stunlocking dudes while I slowly shank them with daggers works I guess. The party'll be an endgame beast at least.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I've got White Mage/Thief/Time Mage

I imagine a party of white mages and thieves sitting around the pub, looking at each other sullenly, then a time mage walks in the door and they leap up cheering.

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator

Playthrough 2 finished with Knight/Time Mage/Bard/Dragoon. Second triple crown in a row too! Omega was simple for once and Shinryu was too after I figured out what strategy I had to use (wonder wand + cover/guard).

This was a really strong team, but I had a hell of a time on both ExDeaths. In word 2 I didn't have any reflect rings and I couldn't get past him without hiding until he ran out of magic points. Neo ExDeath tree form was easy, but I found that Meteo was a bad idea on form 2 since I could not focus damage on just one piece of the boss and Algamest killed everyone in my party instantly if it wasn't blocked. Eventually got through it, but it was a pain. Just for future reference could I have just hung out with tree form ExDeath, Hero Song my characters all the way up to 255 and made most of the damage caused by Algamest go away?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Not quite. The Chicken Knife gets its multipliers from both Strength and Agility on standard attacks (and things that use that formula), whereas Goblin Punch only gains multipliers based on Strength. (And of course the Chicken Knife is one of the few things that doesn't have a gimped multiplier from Agility.)
I think you misunderstood what he was saying? He's talking about using Goblin Punch with the Brave Blade, not Chicken Knife.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Vanilla Ice posted:

This was a really strong team, but I had a hell of a time on both ExDeaths. In word 2 I didn't have any reflect rings and I couldn't get past him without hiding until he ran out of magic points. Neo ExDeath tree form was easy, but I found that Meteo was a bad idea on form 2 since I could not focus damage on just one piece of the boss and Algamest killed everyone in my party instantly if it wasn't blocked. Eventually got through it, but it was a pain. Just for future reference could I have just hung out with tree form ExDeath, Hero Song my characters all the way up to 255 and made most of the damage caused by Algamest go away?

Yeah absolutely, that's what I did on my run that was exactly the same comp as your aside from having a red mage instead of a time mage. With haste on and singing up the buffs songs during tree form you can pretty much demolish NED at will in the second half of the fight.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

the chicken knife's claim to fame is the hilarious amount of damage it deals. The flee effect is kind of like a 25% reduction in damage, except it can kick in at the worst possible moment and cause you to get pasted.

I remember one run I had the Chicken Knife equipped on my Mystic Knight going into the NED fight. "Oh ho ho, this will be so easy" I chortled to myself. After casting Break Blade, I proceeded to proc the flee effect like 7 times in a row. Almagest. :commissar:

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
This is my first time participating and my party is knight/time mage/ninja/dragoon. Any hot tips on how to keep up with healing demands now that I'm heading into the second half of the game? The healing staff was my MVP in world 1 but now it's less potent than a Hi Potion and I don't know what I'm going to do in the late game that won't involve the tedium of grinding.

Also I think the thread has convinced me to go for the chicken knife rather than the brave blade for this run, which is a first for me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kaasen posted:

This is my first time participating and my party is knight/time mage/ninja/dragoon. Any hot tips on how to keep up with healing demands now that I'm heading into the second half of the game? The healing staff was my MVP in world 1 but now it's less potent than a Hi Potion and I don't know what I'm going to do in the late game that won't involve the tedium of grinding.

Also I think the thread has convinced me to go for the chicken knife rather than the brave blade for this run, which is a first for me.

Absolutely go for the CK. At the very least, you can put the Twin Lance in your Ninja's top hand and the CK in the bottom hand to avoid the flee effect.

Also, just be prepared to buy a lot of hi potions. Honestly, the farther in the game you get, the more you should be running away. Put that !Smoke to good use. By World 3, it's rare that I bother to fight random battles- they're just too much of a resource drain for what you get out of them.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

White Mage / Blue Mage / Summoner / Ranger

Should be simple enough.

hiRa
Oct 5, 2006
^_^

Fungah! posted:

yeah i think this must be a glitch in the anthologies version. try doing the guard thing, if jump counts as phys damage it should block it. if it doesn't you're going to have to get some more hp (there's a recovery spring in exdeath's castle if you need it). have you tried doing a run where you don't bother healing in the second phase and just beat the poo poo out of him?

Man I finally just beat Gilgamesh on the bridge. I used your great idea of grinding and using the spring in ex deaths castle, so thank you! And thanks everyone else for the advice... Onward we push!

I'm glad to finally have a way to heal for more than 50 hp a clip.

So I just got done with Val castle and I'm on my way for dragon grass. I just got the dancing dagger from moogle village, should I put it on my dancer? Is there any benefit to it, or would my geo be better off with it?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

hiRa posted:

Man I finally just beat Gilgamesh on the bridge. I used your great idea of grinding and using the spring in ex deaths castle, so thank you! And thanks everyone else for the advice... Onward we push!

So I just got done with Val castle and I'm on my way for dragon grass. I just got the dancing dagger from moogle village, should I put it on my dancer? Is there any benefit to it, or would my geo be better off with it?
Probably not worth using it in Drakenvale since there are undead enemies there and the Jitterbug will end up hurting you and healing them if it comes up.

The Geomancer can have some really powerful Gaia attacks in the outside areas of Drakenvale.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Schwartzcough posted:

Absolutely go for the CK. At the very least, you can put the Twin Lance in your Ninja's top hand and the CK in the bottom hand to avoid the flee effect.

Also, just be prepared to buy a lot of hi potions. Honestly, the farther in the game you get, the more you should be running away. Put that !Smoke to good use. By World 3, it's rare that I bother to fight random battles- they're just too much of a resource drain for what you get out of them.

Well crap, I was hoping it wouldn't be just hi potions from here on out. Guess I'll have to stop being a scrub and kill bosses before they can kill me first.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

That's pretty neat. Does Goblin Punch work with Two Handed?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Probably not worth using it in Drakenvale since there are undead enemies there and the Jitterbug will end up hurting you and healing them if it comes up.

The Geomancer can have some really powerful Gaia attacks in the outside areas of Drakenvale.

Outdoors !Gaia attacks absolutely carried me through Drakenvale. I has a Geo and a WM both spamming them, and prettt much everything there died pretty fast to that. I even bragged up thread about beating down that area's boss without taking a single blow using Geo abilities.

As for my WM/MK/Geo/Sam run, I'm poised to enter the Void. I ended up running from magic pots to maximise the chicken knife. Omniscient was awkward when I discovered that Gaia counted as a physical attack, but I stacked elf cape/main gauche/blink and berserked him to finish that one off. I cleaned out Istory Falls, but left Leviathan be. Wendigo died the same way I always kill Wendigo: burying him in money.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KataraniSword posted:

Not to mention that if you're playing FF5 after a marathon of Dissidia, your brain remembers that the Brave Blade is really loving strong and Bartz bashes peoples' faces in and wow that must mean it's the "right" choice :downs:

Speaking of Dissidia, one of my favorite things with Gilgamesh in Dissidia 012 is that one of his eight weapons is listed as the "Chicken Knife (?)". Its physical appearance resembles a chicken, and it even makes clucking noises when you hit with it... but oddly enough, its attack power seems to rise when Gilgamesh's HP drops.

Poor guy got duped again. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's pretty neat. Does Goblin Punch work with Two Handed?

Sadly not.

code:
GOBLIN PUNCH
Damage = Weapon Goblin Punch Damage (if 2-Handed, add GP Damage from 
each hand.  Dbl Grip has no effect)
Damage = Damage - Defense
If Target Level = Attacker Level, Defense = 0
Damage = Damage * M
M = (Strength*Level)/128 + 2
If Target Level = Attacker Level, M = M * 8
No Back Row Modifications
Hit% = 100%
Attack Element becomes None

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hiRa posted:

the dancer doesn't get any special benefits from it if that's what you're asking, i'd say throw it on the geo once you get past drakenvale so they can maybe do decent damage with sword dance.

on a related note, i forgot how hilarious sword dance is on a ninja

• Locked thread