Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This thread is insane. Multiple people calling possibly the best action movie ever made "ok".

real_slime posted:

Because it's supposed to be good for kids, I suppose. But the first Terminator was good for kids too, except that it was actually a little scary and dangerous around the edges. That was part of the fascination - WHOAH the terminator says 'gently caress you rear end in a top hat', i just saw a lady's boobs and the police are all smoking cynics.

The first movie is definitely not for kids - it's a slasher movie. It also straight up got a penis in it.

Hell the second isn't really "for kids" either, my parents wouldn't let me watch it until years after it came out.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I wactched T1 and T2 back to back last night. I think a kid would be just fine with T2. T1 is dark and depressing as gently caress. Biehn is also way, way, way better than Courtney. I don't know why they thought he was a good idea.

The most terrifying parts in T2 for me are when Sarah dreams of the nukes and her skin is blasted off (I had nightmares of this as a child) and right before T1000 falls into the molten steel when Robert Patrick's head is like... dangling sideways in horror. Also this was the first time I saw the 153 minute director's cut... couple of cool little things added. The T1000 not being able to get 100% back up after he is frozen is pretty cool. He's like losing the ability to keep shape, and there's some crazy effects where he is like a chameleon that can't control his shape changing and starts to "melt" almost into the floor and whatever he touches. It's a very odd effect.

E: I watched both with someone who never saw anything Terminator related. When T1000 shows up at Cyberdyne, she was like, "I'm starting to wonder what the point of this guy is", probably because when they last had a confrontation was when Sarah was rescued, and he is shown to be way behind them until the helicopter sequence.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 3, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They probably didn't want me seeing the guard getting stabbed in his eye or the foster dad getting stabbed through the mouth.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Those are pretty bad shots, granted, but they are also fairly bloodless.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

This thread is insane. Multiple people calling possibly the best action movie ever made "ok".

The first movie is definitely not for kids - it's a slasher movie. It also straight up got a penis in it.

Hell the second isn't really "for kids" either, my parents wouldn't let me watch it until years after it came out.

Slasher movies are interesting to kids, too. I watched a bunch of them between 10-15 years old. What I mean is conceptually, they are appealing ideas to kids because they are about monsters, superpowers, etc. Not that the content is aimed at kids exactly, but they happen to be attracted to it anyway because kids want to see grown up things they aren't really supposed to see. The thing that has been lost, and I think makes the movies less interesting to adults as well as kids (although maybe it doesn't make much difference there, they watch any old thing, but I know I was more fascinated by things with an 18 rating just because whoah what do they put in there?) is that all these elements which are somewhat dicey have been totally removed or altered to be totally non-threatening.

I don't think a 90% shadowed penis on a robot who is naked for a reason counts as 'straight up got a penis' really. It's all tactically obscured.

Part of the fun of these movies when you are a kid is seeing them when you're NOT supposed to, like when you stay over at a friend's or somehow catch it on late night TV. I think that was the way I first saw T2 when I was like 8 years old and it didn't gently caress me up, but it did scare me a bit and that was part of the fascination. I used to be fascinated by South Park and tried to catch it late night before bed partly because my mum didn't want me watching it.

But that isn't even really the thing that bothers me - if people want to be protective of their kids and all that, fine. I don't have kids, so I don't know how I'll act when that is me, but in my own memory it was part of the fun. And now that have an adult body who still likes monster movies, it's a bummer to me that they just filter out everything that even approaches the line and turn it into an experience you can get in any comic book movie.

Terminator degenerated pretty quickly into a mainstream family adventure series, though. This movie has nothing threatening about it at all, it's all disembodied CGI action that doesn't feel like anything and buddy comedy hijinx with some save the world hero stuff keeping the plot chugging along. It's just all pretty bland and I wish the initial concept would be paid more attention to cos that is why that movie was so cool. I do want to see more of that stuff, but maybe there are other movies I don't know about which also do it. It Follows is a good example of 'relentless thing pursuing you' which does some inventive stuff.

real_slime fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why does the terminator need a penis?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Infiltration.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

In case the Terminator has to have sex.

That's a minor plot point in the Sarah Conner Chronicles actually- one Terminator had gone deep under cover and taken the place of a married man for whatever reason. His wife never noticed, and it's logical to assume they'd be, more or less, fully functional.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The problem is a Terminator weighs hundreds of pounds and you can feel the metal under the skin but that's the least of that show's issues.

(plus I think you can only really see the dick in the HD version as far as I recall)

real_slime posted:

Slasher movies are interesting to kids, too. I watched a bunch of them between 10-15 years old. What I mean is conceptually, they are appealing ideas to kids because they are about monsters, superpowers, etc. Not that the content is aimed at kids exactly, but they happen to be attracted to it anyway because kids want to see grown up things they aren't really supposed to see. The thing that has been lost, and I think makes the movies less interesting to adults as well as kids (although maybe it doesn't make much difference there, they watch any old thing, but I know I was more fascinated by things with an 18 rating just because whoah what do they put in there?) is that all these elements which are somewhat dicey have been totally removed or altered to be totally non-threatening.

I think the problem is that these people don't understand what makes the original movies good or what made the scary parts scary. If they did they wouldn't make the movies though! It's like watching the Thing prequel - it's as if the film makers never even saw the original or they just didn't "get" it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 3, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

The problem is a Terminator weighs hundreds of pounds and you can feel the metal under the skin but that's the least of that show's issues.

Look I don't question their sex life, just that they had one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is the T:G thread. For the best action movie ever made you want the Fury Road thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not speaking of Gene"sys".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

real_slime posted:

[Reese is] totally normal and has no war torn animal style about him at all like the original one did, who was a lot more entertaining to watch because he was constantly freaking out.

While that's true, the time-hole in this one rewired his brain so that he has different memories.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

While that's true, the time-hole in this one rewired his brain so that he has different memories.

he's totally normal and calm even in the first scenes in the war. there's nothing in there about a personality shift due to alternative memories, he's just supposed to be a heroic 'good man' with relatable mild relationship anxieties and that's it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Breakfast All Day posted:

Tenzarin posted:

Infiltration.

Penetration of enemy lines, actually. Duh.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

real_slime posted:

he's totally normal and calm even in the first scenes in the war. there's nothing in there about a personality shift due to alternative memories, he's just supposed to be a heroic 'good man' with relatable mild relationship anxieties and that's it.

Yeah, Courtney's Reese is calmer than Biehn's not just because of the time travel node thing, but because it's a different future in general. After failures like the one in Salvation, where Skynet tries to disrupt the events of its original defeat, for what we see in Genisys it just went ahead and remade the original timeline and waited until after the time travel event to change things. This meant that John Connor's future knowledge was basically perfect, giving the resistance a much easier victory, and Reese is a much more stable man as a result.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Courtney's Reese is calmer than Biehn's not just because of the time travel node thing, but because it's a different future in general. After failures like the one in Salvation, where Skynet tries to disrupt the events of its original defeat, for what we see in Genisys it just went ahead and remade the original timeline and waited until after the time travel event to change things. This meant that John Connor's future knowledge was basically perfect, giving the resistance a much easier victory, and Reese is a much more stable man as a result.

Doesn't this movie just disregard Salvation anyway? I haven't seen Salvation.

The point isn't 'is this internally consistent with established lore' anyway, it's that Jai Courtney is a lot less entertaining to watch in this role than Michael Biehn was - largely because he's so collected and well adjusted to everything. He's a Create A Hero character.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

real_slime posted:

Doesn't this movie just disregard Salvation anyway?

Not at all. Skynet's evolution into Matt Smith runs right through Marcus and the Helena Bonham Carter version of Skynet. Obviously there's no recreation of Salvation scenes, but that functions as much diegetically as Skynet rejecting that solution, as it does non-diegetically because it's not as popular a movie.

Jai Courtney is definitely playing a less crazy character, but I doubt they asked him to or wrote the character as unbalanced. He did a fine job with a far more subdued character.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 3, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

real_slime posted:

Right, but the reason is that the opening scenes are not the same 'timeline' either. In Terminator, Reese is like 'what day is it?! What year?!" In this one, he already knows exactly where he's going. John says he found the time machine because Sarah told him where it was. How did she know? Although this film ignores the plot of Salvation, they retained the idea that each 'loop' has slight variations. The impression I get from the opening scenes is that events have repeated themselves so many times that they have been refined down to a science - and, consequently, grown stagnant.

This is all part of the broader point about how identity is shaped through imperceptible influences. You can have a person who is genetically identical but fundamentally not the same, like the basic contrast between the young and old Arnold. The young robot doesn't contemplate his mortality.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd laugh if they in the next two movies it all ends with Connor and Skynet coming to an agreement that the original T2 timeline is the best possible time line for both the Humans and Skynet can achieve, and it just ends with them doing time travel wankery to make that the one that happens, literally writing every other film after T2 out of cannon, in cannon. Making the entire point of the new films that the original films were better.

If you're going to go silly and fan service might as well just go all out.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

dr_rat posted:

I'd laugh if they in the next two movies it all ends with Connor and Skynet coming to an agreement that the original T2 timeline is the best possible time line for both the Humans and Skynet can achieve, and it just ends with them doing time travel wankery to make that the one that happens, literally writing every other film after T2 out of cannon, in cannon. Making the entire point of the new films that the original films were better.

John Connor & Skynet Go To Whitecastle

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

dr_rat posted:

Actually, it's going to be weirder than that:

A big deal is made over the fact that the nature of the Terminator (particularly the T-800) is to be a machine built and programmed expressly to kill man, and to do nothing but. However, they are capable of observation, of adaptation, of improvisation. In T2, we find out that they are even individually quite capable of learning, of sentience, of empathy.

In T5 John Connor is quite literally sent back to teach the new Skynet. Unfortunately, the lesson is from the old Skynet, and it is one of fear, of hatred, and of death. The new Skynet is dealt a setback as the final upload of its trojan horse payload is stymied, giving it time to reflect without old Skynet's influence.

I'm predicting that Pops was not sent back by the old Skynet. He's sent back by the new Skynet.

Sarah Connor posted:

The luxury of hope was given to me by the Terminator. Because if a machine can learn the value of human life... maybe we can too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is only a thing in terminator 3. In terminator 1 Arnold gets tackled and thrown around by that one guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

This is only a thing in terminator 3. In terminator 1 Arnold gets tackled and thrown around by that one guy.

It would be pretty silly if the only way to figure out the CUNNING DECEPTION was to have everyone weigh themselves.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WarLocke posted:

John Connor & Skynet Go To Whitecastle

Skynet does seem like it might be a pretty chill AI to get stoned with, until it killed you for being human of course.

Also Connor and Skynet would probably have a lot they could talk about.

"haha what was with that weird metallic robot to kill me when I was like 10"

"wait, haha, did that happen to you? I thought that was like three time lines ago, Oh god I though you were the Connor from we sent that 5th dimensional robotic-dog after when you were like 16, I've totally been thinking you've been a different Connor this entire time!"

"Robot 5th dimensional dog? Haha, what no. Oh Skynet you so crazy."

Connor goes into laughing fit and proceeds to accidentally spill Bong water on skynets carpet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Burkion posted:

It would be pretty silly if the only way to figure out the CUNNING DECEPTION was to have everyone weigh themselves.

All it takes is a dog.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
All this talk about Reese being build like a brick shithouse made me think how having an infiltration unit look like a bodybuilder might not be the best idea.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

dr_rat posted:

That already happens early on in this movie.

The idea is that T2 is the 'best possible timeline' - and then it's rejected, in pursuit of an impossible timeline.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

All this talk about Reese being build like a brick shithouse made me think how having an infiltration unit look like a bodybuilder might not be the best idea.

That was the original T1 idea until Arnold sold his performance: the robot would be the small wiry dude.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruby idiot railed posted:

That was the original T1 idea until Arnold sold his performance: the robot would be the small wiry dude.

Was this from when Lance Henriksen was supposed to be the Terminator? Oh to watch alternative universe movies like that, or the one where Jean-Claude Van Damme was the Predator.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As far as I remember, the original plan was that the Terminator would be a tiny wiry unassuming dude like Henriksen while Reese was the Best of the Best of Connor's future army with the matching top physical form, with the intended twist being that the dude who looked loving terrifying was the good guy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

As far as I remember, the original plan was that the Terminator would be a tiny wiry unassuming dude like Henriksen while Reese was the Best of the Best of Connor's future army with the matching top physical form, with the intended twist being that the dude who looked loving terrifying was the good guy.

So another thing he reused in T2?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saw the movie today, thought it was good enough.

"drat time traveling robots covering their tracks"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WarLocke posted:

So another thing he reused in T2?

It's used in the original film, Kyle Reese looks crazy and beats up a hobo for his pants and then runs from the cops.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought that unlike other remakes it actually manages to capture the heart of the originals. 'Twas a good movie, though not great. I can't call a movie that makes so little sense actually great.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's used in the original film, Kyle Reese looks crazy and beats up a hobo for his pants and then runs from the cops.

I think you need to re-read the conversation there.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Skynet does seem like it might be a pretty chill AI to get stoned with, until it killed you for being human of course.

Also Connor and Skynet would probably have a lot they could talk about.

"haha what was with that weird metallic robot to kill me when I was like 10"

"wait, haha, did that happen to you? I thought that was like three time lines ago, Oh god I though you were the Connor from we sent that 5th dimensional robotic-dog after when you were like 16, I've totally been thinking you've been a different Connor this entire time!"

"Robot 5th dimensional dog? Haha, what no. Oh Skynet you so crazy."

Connor goes into laughing fit and proceeds to accidentally spill Bong water on skynets carpet.

Skynet claims to evolve in seconds and Cameron has said that if he could rewrite it Skynet would regret killing humans. Clearly terminator 7 ends the new trilogy with a pro-human Skynet time traveling a floppy disc/cd/usb up a t-800s fleshy butt to download into it's past self to prevent judgement day. All of it ending in a server room with 20 cgi arnolds and 20 cgi robert patricks duking it out to stop & assist the download. Directed by Michael Bay.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
That was a pretty good action movie set in the Terminator universe, but it wasn't a Terminator movie.

Because there is no terminator trying to kill anyone. The Terminator movies are about unstoppable killing machines trying to kill someone, and the whole time you're thinking "oh god how will they stop it?'l

In this one the only terminator hunting anyone for a good chunk of time is just trying to keep them in a holding pattern, not kill them, because he can't or he won't exist.

"I can't kill Sarah Connor."

"Neither can I."

Then how are either of you loving terminators? You're not!

So...yeah, pretty good first third of an action trilogy, but I don't think you can even compare it to the first two because it's not at all the same kind of film.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Riven posted:

"I can't kill Sarah Connor."

"Neither can I."

He said he could kill Sarah the problem was Arnold had his hand on the detonator to a bomb that would have killed them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Wow the movie was loving awful. Yo Skynet maybe you should kill Reese and Sarah instead of hugging it out.

• Locked thread