Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lobby going up in a minute. I dont see very many people online :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'd be there but I A) suck at the game still and B) am 3,500 miles from my PC. Maybe next time!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
:getin: already

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
400 miles from my pc

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO dammit I missed it

My loving wheel is jacked and then I couldn't join :(

I seriously joined when you guys were all leaving, gently caress

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll be there next week. Tonight is basically like a weekend night for me and probably a lot of other people

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bUm posted:

:unsmith: news: Windows 10 grows closer and AMD drivers are supposed to suck less on it for PCars; maybe (*gasp*) they even actually fix them to have nVidia-competitive FPS per hardware like every other game except PCars and (I believe) Witcher 3.

AMD does not, as far as I know, actually have stable, working drivers for windows 10 yet, so you're probably in for disappointment on that front.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

hopterque posted:

AMD does not, as far as I know, actually have stable, working drivers for windows 10 yet, so you're probably in for disappointment on that front.
People in the AMD Drivers thread on the PCars forums were seeing better FPS without problems weeks ago so, assuming it hasn't gotten worse, it should be fine, even with just the vanilla Windows 10 drivers (guess it's just generic Microsoft video drivers right now?). Sounded like a lot of them were pretty much only using Windows 10 for playing PCars because it was markedly better than Windows 7/8 w/ AMD beta drivers.

Also seems like a bad move by AMD to not have stable drivers by release as a ton of people should move over pretty quick seeing as it's free (if you have a legit copy of 7/8).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bUm posted:

People in the AMD Drivers thread on the PCars forums were seeing better FPS without problems weeks ago so, assuming it hasn't gotten worse, it should be fine, even with just the vanilla Windows 10 drivers (guess it's just generic Microsoft video drivers right now?). Sounded like a lot of them were pretty much only using Windows 10 for playing PCars because it was markedly better than Windows 7/8 w/ AMD beta drivers.

Also seems like a bad move by AMD to not have stable drivers by release as a ton of people should move over pretty quick seeing as it's free (if you have a legit copy of 7/8).

It is a bad move by amd, but amd is extremely incompetent.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

hopterque posted:

It is a bad move by amd, but amd is extremely incompetent.
Can't dispute that. PCars will certainly serve as a notable mark against AMD next time I'm in the market for a GPU (guess we'll see when that time comes if they still have a strangle hold on mid-high performance per dollar like last time I was in the market for one).

That said, the tears on the PCars forums from people who threw such a hissyfit over it to the point of spending $400+ on nVidia cards are funny; I'm no financial adviser, but spending a grand on dual 980's (to replace dual top-of-the-line AMDs that probably cost at least $700~$800) because you can't run everything max (albeit still playable) for one $50 game seems like a poor decision no matter how you slice it. :v:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
It is shocking that anyone would need more than a single 970 to run this game at near max settings with a field of 32 cars. I have a relatively old CPU (i5-2500k) and I have a single 970 running three monitors in surround, and it is pretty much 60Hz all the time (except turn 1 a Monza on a pubbie server, but good luck getting 60Hz in that situation on any rig).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Here's that whole Ian Bells drama:

http://pretendracecars.net/2015/07/01/the-complete-coverage-of-ian-bells-canada-day-meltdown/

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Boy, that guy really doesn't like this video game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I fully support abusing forum users because they're invariably stupid idiots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Right off the bat this article is a total misrepresentation of PCARS and the drama surrounding Ian Bell. After seeing the posts myself and trying to get the full context, I really do not believe Ian Bell is the issue here. The posters that are being banned were being incredibly rude, condescending, and gigantic assholes. They were using homophobic slurs, and ripping into the game while using a tone in their posting that implied they didn't give a poo poo what SMS did, they just wanted to express their anger in the most childish way possible. These posters acted like shitheads and so they got treated like shitheads.

PCARS has sold at least 1 million copies across its 3 platforms. It is not at all a commercial flop and the bugs are hugely overplayed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Right off the bat this article is a total misrepresentation of PCARS and the drama surrounding Ian Bell. After seeing the posts myself and trying to get the full context, I really do not believe Ian Bell is the issue here. The posters that are being banned were being incredibly rude, condescending, and gigantic assholes. They were using homophobic slurs, and ripping into the game while using a tone in their posting that implied they didn't give a poo poo what SMS did, they just wanted to express their anger in the most childish way possible. These posters acted like shitheads and so they got treated like shitheads.

ian bell is the donald trump of sim racing

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I only got a paragraph in. That guy sure writes a lot of words about how hes butthurt.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Basticle posted:

I only got a paragraph in. That guy sure writes a lot of words about how hes butthurt.

Hes the maddox of sim racing and should be treated as such

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhsH posted:

Hes the maddox of sim racing and should be treated as such

That's good to know, I didn't realize the author of this article was known in the sim racing community. He sounds like a total poo poo bag that isn't even connected to PCARS in anyway, he is just getting this information 2nd hand. Ian Bell is not banning people who are displeased with the quality of PCARS, there are plenty of people that have pointed out bugs and other issues that are still active on the forums. He is banning people that were being gigantic pricks about it. Something that would happen on any forum.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
He does a lot of careposting about fake car games and my gimmick is "gently caress allah yall have fun"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Ian Bell was a goon, he would fit in on this forum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if he is.

Definitely has the right temperament.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is.

Definitely has the right temperament.

Now i'm going to believe he has been posting in this thread the entire time and just won't say anything. :tinfoil:

The PCARS forums have been a clusterfuck since day one. I've been reading and have been active on them since 2011. They are full of gigantic idiots that I am convinced forget how to breath. Many of the issues i've seen were not the game, they were user error because the users that play racing sims are breath takingly retarded. I'm very involved in the various sim racing communities on the internet, but outside of this forum, I find most of them to be horrible. We've had plenty of discussions about these communities in other threads, I don't feel like getting into it too much anymore because its been talked about to death, but the users on the PCARS forum are bad people.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Ian Bell is really cubey. And we deserve what we get.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Basticle posted:

Ian Bell is really ohsh. And we deserve what we get.
:ssh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My pit crew in PCars have completely stopped replacing missing wheels when I'm driving the Formula C cars.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well that's because users on the official forum were mean to the developers so in a fit of childish babbyness Ian Bell told the team to leave the mile long list of bugs in to punish these churlish posters

Now give me money for PCARS 2!!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle posted:

Ian Bell is really cubey. And we deserve what we get.

P cars 2 to ship only with brands hatch, watkins glen and anglo/German cars. Everything else is day 1 paid dlc.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Basticle posted:

P cars 2 to ship only with brands hatch, watkins glen and anglo/German cars. Everything else is day 1 paid dlc.

I'd imagine they would prefer the bike and yellow cab from crazy taxi. You see, this is clever protest to the console peasant physics with air quotes blah blah blah blah

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

SealHammer posted:

Wish I could race with you guys, but I'm working till midnight :saddowns:

Kaddion, make sure to lap the field for me.

Nope, I was working.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Last night's results are posted https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLUMkGDKR9wmL5i2PehIfOZO_uo7ZlauM3reEyZ83Gs/pubhtml

Remember, if you leave the race after you've crossed the line but before everyone else has then you wont even be listed in the race results screen in-game

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I really really want to enjoy this game but the setups still not saving is basically ruining it for me. I figured in 2015 saving and opening files was kind of a solved issue but I guess not. :(

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Oh god, why did I start in karts, you nightmarish little bastards.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Officially hate their cut track changes last patch with a passion. Hour and a half into the 25 2 hour Nurburgring invitational and I got DQed for cutting track too many times (aka I don't have all 73 turns memorized and putting two tires in the grass too far on turn exit is "cutting the track" under their dickish changes).*

Super pissed about that, I decided I'd run it again and let the AI take over after the first run (~45 minutes) while I watched TV. That went fine and the AI maintained the lead I'd gotten, but it pit in on the last lap (time already elapsed) because it didn't have fuel for another lap. I told it to take a splash of fuel and go. The AI instead decides to retire from the race because driving off pit lane for first place is too much hassle.

Day two, take three: I decide to get another run started, let AI take over, and then return and do the end. Got a nice lead doing a 30 minute run and put the AI in while I did other things. I came back just in time for a pit with 20 minutes to go, call the driver swap, and hear a strange grinding noise as I leave the pits round the first slow bend. Start trying to accelerate down the straight and promptly spin a full 540 degrees after getting some speed. Pause, go to the take photo thing, and see my pit crew kindly put four totally flat tires on the car. Better still: the spin dumped me into grass such that the car was totally immobilized.

Take four: put AI to 0, got a minute lead in a single lap, let AI run the rest of the race. Ten minutes to go, but it looks promising.

tl;dr: I'm glad stupid lack of polish in PCars made a two hour endurance race for fun into an unfun time sink of like three hours of mine (well, I guess the first race was fun so just an hour and a half of bullshit) and five hours more that tied up my computer. :downsbravo:

* Hell they did one better: on Dubai Autodrome the winding high-speed turn that cuts into a tight right-angle turn actually gives you a cut track penalty if you hug the inside of the winding portion (was passing slow traffic) despite keeping all four wheels on the racing surface. poo poo is ridiculous.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

Officially hate their cut track changes last patch with a passion.

I've found that if you take a certain line through the corkscrew on Laguna Seca even if you don't run off track it'll consider it a track cut.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

ShineDog posted:

Oh god, why did I start in karts, you nightmarish little bastards.

QFT. This is the first time I've played a racing game and stepped away from my wheel like I had just run an autox course. Very fun once I get the tracks memorized (after the 5th restart).

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Seem to have found another new bug since last patch (least I never had it prior) as well: twice now when starting the race for my WEC events there has been no audio for any cars (no engine noise, no tire squeal, nothing). Audio for counting down to green worked fine though.

Further: the setup not saving bug also seems to have actually gotten worse. Moving forward to the race just now the gearing got so screwed up that the last four gears all had the same gearing ratio despite all of them having different slider positions. Moving the slider not only didn't fix it, but actually let me set values not even allowed by the car under normal circumstances. Leaving and rejoining the sessions fixed it (and the no audio bug above), but :wtc:.

PCars starting to look like World of Tanks or something: a litany of bad design and bugs (okay... WoT wasn't terribly buggy) that make no sense and a head honcho that shits all over forums whiners in hilarious fashion, but also probably ignores valid criticisms in the process. :v:

Edit: In other news, from all the Nurburgring-ing involved in the previous post I managed to get a lap time that was only 15 seconds off (7:26-some) the track record for the McLaren F1 I found online (7:11:00). Not too shabby given still being on a controller and not knowing the track fully (although I know it a lot better than before).

bUm fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 5, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
When I previously had Project CARS installed, somehow my paddle shifters and sequential shifter (Fanatec CSR Elite) both operated the shifters. Now they don't. Is there a config file I can gently caress with to get this to work, or some kind of external program I can map two buttons to one command with?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Falken posted:

When I previously had Project CARS installed, somehow my paddle shifters and sequential shifter (Fanatec CSR Elite) both operated the shifters. Now they don't. Is there a config file I can gently caress with to get this to work, or some kind of external program I can map two buttons to one command with?

JoyToKey is your friend. Just assign both the paddles and shifter to the same keys, and configure those keys for up/downshift in all games. Make sure to start Joy2Key after turning on the wheel, that stumped me for far too long...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Adjusting the steering ratio for Formula A significantly improves the handling on a gamepad.

• Locked thread