Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spankmeister posted:

Why is this post orange?

Did you accidentally mark a user in the Awful App?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Did you accidentally mark a user in the Awful App?

Ah yeah that was it. I didn't even know you could do that....

Thanks.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
This isn't a major issue at all but I'm curious why the app always says it failed to load as soon as I open it, but then manually refreshing my bookmarks works just fine and everything loads fine.

It doesn't hinder my use of the app, just a curiosity.

If it helps I'm on a second gen Moto G with whatever the latest Android update for it is (I think 5.0.2).

Other than that minor thing the app works great for me so maybe this is down to user error on my part because I'm very new to Android.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Ev posted:

This isn't a major issue at all but I'm curious why the app always says it failed to load as soon as I open it, but then manually refreshing my bookmarks works just fine and everything loads fine.

It doesn't hinder my use of the app, just a curiosity.

Same thing happens to me. Samsung note 4.

Only thing bad is the random crashes on image heavy threads

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Got a link to a page that does it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Got a link to a page that does it?

I'm not positive about this, but I think it only happens on the bookmarks view. I get this happening all the time.

Of course, now that I'm trying to report on its behavior I can't make it do it, but it does it multiple times a day.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh I meant the crashing with mega images thing :frogbon: I just want to check if there's a memory leak or if webview's getting overloaded or something

Does the failed loading thing happen when you're on mobile data? 4G or 3G? Does it happen on wifi too?

I'm just wondering if there's an issue with the network 'starting up' that maybe causes the initial sync to fail immediately - I'm just throwing ideas out there at this point though. I'm trying to add some more useful error messages for loading failures, hopefully it'll be easier to tell where it's tripping up

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My bookmarks loading failure happens on wifi. Not sure about cell network since I'm rarely using Awful whole off of wifi.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It happens on both WiFi and data, for me at least. Does it every time I open it and also sometimes when clicking a thread from bookmarks, but as mentioned above a refresh sorts it out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not positive about this, but I think it only happens on the bookmarks view. I get this happening all the time.

Of course, now that I'm trying to report on its behavior I can't make it do it, but it does it multiple times a day.

I've been getting this too, and once it happens the bookmarks pane stops auto reloading when swiping to it. Honestly haven't really been paying attention to when I get the initial Loading Failed though. Iirc it happens when i first open the app or switch back to it from another, but I'll keep an eye out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have only one wish for the app, but it probably wouldn't be considered an important thing. I'd love an indicator as to whether or not I have an unread PM, but just on the forums and/or bookmarks pages (in other words, not in thread view), checked every time there's a refresh.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Alright, how do I get that apk with extra error logging? Finally tired of seeing "Loading Failed" 75% of the time when I open the app and want to contribute to getting it fixed

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm getting near constant crashing when trying to reply in threads. Happens more often when using voice to type. Tab 4 on 5.0.2

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What keyboard are you using?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

What keyboard are you using?

Stock i guess

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Let's try the Google keyboard I was using the Samsung one that came with this tablet I think this might be working better.

EDIT: yep that worked

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah there's some weird Samsung keyboard permissions error that I can't find anything about (just a quick look though), and they've been in the news lately about keyboard shenanigans

e- it helps when you have 'send username in crash reports' enabled like this guy!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In my case, perpetual "login failed" messages when attempting to log in on either my Nexus 7 (2013) (MIUI 4.8.22) or ASUS ME301T (stock) even after changing the password on a desktop.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 2, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Chortles posted:

In my case, perpetual "login failed" messages when attempting to log in on either my Nexus 7 (2013) (MIUI 4.8.22) or ASUS ME301T (stock) even after changing the password on a desktop.

Same on my Galaxy Note 4 using either the Samsung keyboard or SwiftKey.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just came here to ask if there was a login issue. Also getting failed messages when I'm sure I'm entering the right password repeatedly. Guess it's not just me, at least. Is this when the Awful App finally decides to harvest all of our passwords and use them go out in a glorious blaze of account stealing shitposting? :ohdear:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Chortles posted:

Getting the same problem with my new Xperia Z2. Never mind that I can log in and post this from my tablet in a browser, just won't work in the app.

edit: tablet is fully up to date, international xperia keyboard. Downloaded google keyboard, didn't work either.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 2, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Probably has to do with the expired SSL certificate.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yes, the forums SSL certificate has expired. Login via HTTP had been removed from the app when SSL got turned on so until not-radium applies a new certificate you can't log-in.

Ralp said this might be fixed today.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sereri posted:

Yes, the forums SSL certificate has expired. Login via HTTP had been removed from the app when SSL got turned on so until not-radium applies a new certificate you can't log-in.

Can you even buy an account with an expired ssl cert? Just curious. (Basically doesn't that mean all the pay options are kaputt jfc)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just came here to ask if there was a login issue. Also getting failed messages when I'm sure I'm entering the right password repeatedly. Guess it's not just me, at least. Is this when the Awful App finally decides to harvest all of our passwords and use them go out in a glorious blaze of account stealing shitposting? :ohdear:

Excellent, I was worried it was me. I'll try again in a day or two!

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
ah i just came to ask about the login issue as well. Glad to know its a thing and im not just stupid

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I know this is first world problems compared to all the Loading Failed poo poo, but is anybody else having pages reload to random posts on the page? Most often it'll load to the last post I've made. Other times, or if i haven't posted, it'll just load up to random posts, only about half the time does it go to the newest post for me/last post/end of page.

Nexus 10, cm11, awful 3.2.0.8

site fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 3, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
For what it is worth, I'm not getting any login issues on my note 3 android 5.0. Awful 3.2.0.8

I am getting the failed to load error for bookmarks when opening awful. After that though, it works just fine.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 3, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SlayVus posted:

For what it is worth, I'm not getting any login issues on my note 3 android 5.0. Awful 3.2.0.8

I am getting the failed to load error for bookmarks when opening awful. After that though, it works just fine.

Same here, latest Awful, Android 5.0, HTC One Max running CandyROMs (CM source).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You wouldn't get them if you were logged in already.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
When I select a thread from bookmarks it seems to have about a 10-20% chance of just loading the last thread I was viewing. Going back to bookmarks and choosing a different thread still puts me back in the same place. Only fix is to restart the app.

This happened about 5 times so far today :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Try waiting a while (like 10 seconds) if it happens again - sometimes the network responses are super slow

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sereri posted:

It was not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sereri posted:

Rlp says a lot of things, it turns out.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

I picked a terrible time to switch phones...

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, Fry. Wake up, it's me, BIGFACE!

Chortles posted:

Same on Galaxy S5

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FamousThomas posted:

Same on Galaxy S5

Again, the SSL cert is expired and the app only supports SSL login.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ghostwritingduck posted:

I picked a terrible time to switch phones...

I got a tablet the day this started 😩

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Brawnfire posted:

I got a tablet the day this started 😩

So did I!

At least with a tablet it's easy to use the forums through a browser, that still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hello. It is July 5th, and the issue persists.