Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Similarly, OoE's Blackmore is wrecking my poo poo for very similar reasons: small space to fight, huge attacks with little room to dodge, hits like a train. I think I have phase 1 down, but phase 2 mixes things up too much for me to reliably handle.

Blackmore is A Jerk, yeah. If you have any way to raise your overall magic defense or raise your defense against dark attacks that helps. Think you need to get far enough in the jewelry lady's quests to get access to something that will reduce dark damage though.

In the end you need to dodge his attacks, though- one thing that might help you (that I had trouble with) is his three-hit combo he starts doing in the second phase can be avoided by jumping the first swipe, ducking the second, and then jumping over the third. It's not immediately obvious. Also he's weak to Fire and Light elements.

Ecclesia is a rougher game than I remember any of the other Igavanias being, dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh, I'd already beaten him when I posted that, took me about four goes I think just to learn all the tells again. I used slime soul, fire off two and let them bounce around the room and iron armour, I think? Whichever gives you a big armour dude attacking as well so I was basically doing two hits for every one.

I really want to play Ecclesia again and I'm ad that I lost my copy somehow.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Blackmore is a really great fight. He attacks pretty much relentlessly (at least on Hard Mode) but all his attacks have obvious tells so if you're good you can keep up the chain of dodge, dodge, attack up until he croaks it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Visually, Blackmore was my favorite boss in Ecclesia.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's just a matter of learning his tells, I guess. I haven't quite done that yet, but eventually I'll get him! Aside from that though, I do like Blackmore's design, it's rad as hell.

Other Castlevania complaints: I've been playing PoR for the first time recently and holy poo poo the clock tower feels more obnoxious than usual. One room in particular has a flying armor that throws its sword at you literally as soon as you walk in the room, leaving you little time to dodge, and then you have like 8 Medusa Heads at once flying across the screen and it's just so much more hectic than I'm used to for clock towers. I managed to get 3 Summon Medusa spells and the Medusa Whip last night up there and very well could have lost all of them because of how much poo poo was flying on screen.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
^edit - Stone Circle is the best spell in the game once you get it (from the weird head things in whatever the mansion level is, the regular form of Dark Academy). You can literally negate every projectile including boss attacks and Dracula's fireballs, as well as medusa heads and any other low health annoying enemies.

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, Gergoth in DoS always gets me, all of its attacks are super telegraphed but it's the first (only?) boss in the game where you can't afford to take more than two or three hits. One if it hits you with the stone gas attack.
Gergoth is probably the one boss I remember the most out of DoS, and that's because he's an absolute rear end in a top hat.

I started a replay of all the ds games when the kickstarter got announced and did it in reverse order for some reason, and just did Gergoth last week. After playing Ecclesia I kind of feel he's actually the right level of rear end in a top hat, where you're actually afraid of getting hit by his attacks - rather than just tanking the damage and maybe popping some potions like every other boss is in DoS and PoR except Abaddon (who is a bigger rear end in a top hat, but my answer to him was Gergoth's laser which works wonders).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Metos posted:

Gergoth is probably the one boss I remember the most out of DoS, and that's because he's an absolute rear end in a top hat.

I started a replay of all the ds games when the kickstarter got announced and did it in reverse order for some reason, and just did Gergoth last week. After playing Ecclesia I kind of feel he's actually the right level of rear end in a top hat, where you're actually afraid of getting hit by his attacks - rather than just tanking the damage and maybe popping some potions like every other boss is in DoS and PoR except Abaddon (who is a bigger rear end in a top hat, but my answer to him was Gergoth's laser which works wonders).

Huh, I never thought of using Gergoth's laser against Abaddon, but that sounds like a really handy one. My answer to his locust swarm was Persephone's soul, which sucks up tons of them and heals you to boot! A max level Buer soul works really well too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I thought there had to be a way to avoid everyone of that rear end in a top hat's patterns simply by dodging, and well, there pretty much is.

Still hate that rear end in a top hat though.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Pureauthor posted:

I thought there had to be a way to avoid everyone of that rear end in a top hat's patterns simply by dodging, and well, there pretty much is.

Still hate that rear end in a top hat though.
Yeah a combination of hypogriff jump and bat company can dodge all of them pretty easily except one, but sometimes he just does rear end in a top hat moves like the 'waterfall' one while he's standing right next to the safe wall so as soon as its over he's jumping into you and dealing contact damage.

What a cock.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Blackmore was one of the hardest bosses of OoE to trophy-clear. Actual hardest was probably that jackass sand fish with all the randomly aimed projectile attacks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DolphinCop posted:

Blackmore was one of the hardest bosses of OoE to trophy-clear. Actual hardest was probably that jackass sand fish with all the randomly aimed projectile attacks.

Gravedorcus (or whatever it's called) isn't too bad because you can destroy most of it's projectiles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The worst was the crab because unlike every other boss you couldn't just Blast Attack it to oblivion.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EU PSN sale!

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
70% off
Original price £11.99/€14.99
Offer price £3.60/€4.50

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD
70% off
Original price £9.99/€12.99
Offer price £3.00/€3.90

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Digital Bundle
75% off
Original price £24.99/€29.99
Offer price £6.25/€7.50

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
60% off
Original price £7.99/€9.99
Offer price £3.20/€4.00

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
60% off
Original price £7.99/€9.99
Offer price £3.20/€4.00

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is Iga a vampire

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Smoking Crow posted:

Is Iga a vampire

He turned into a swarm of bats in the kickstarter video so I would say yes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Is Iga a vampire

yes, also a vampire hunter

https://youtu.be/B5KOhJqNofs

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Gamasutra recently had a pretty insightful interview with Iga: Koji Igarashi on the power and responsibility of being Kickstarter-funded

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here are some new trailers for a couple of CV-inspired indie games:

Odallus: The Dark Call, a crowdfunded game for PC by the Brazilian indie studio that released Oniken a year or so ago. There are adventure/exploration elements but it's not a metroidvania; think something closer to Demon's Crest. (They even made backer-exclusive skins that reference CV plus Arthur and Firebrand/Red Arremer from GnG.) They're still testing the game right now but it's pretty much done and should be out on Steam before too long; if you pre-order on their site you get immediate access to the betas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFeCrWsWkU

Slain!, another crowdfunded game from a team called Wolf Brew Games. The aesthetic is very 90s euro but the game itself seems pretty snappy, thank god. It's a linear game with stages that are dividen into two sections: a horizontal section which is more focused on combat, and a vertical section which is more focused on platforming. It's been delayed a few times but it should be out within the next few months on PC and early next year on PS4/Wii U/Xbone/Vita.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1ek3H8yl8

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Grimace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZyFJacZGQ

Looks like Adult Swim Games is gonna be releasing a sprite-based metroidvania with lots of elements reminiscent of SotN and Shadow of the Colossus. Color me excited.

Rad as hell.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was that always an adult swim game or did they just pick it up?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They picked it up, I think. They don't really make/finance games on their own anymore, as far as I know.

Every time someone mentions Adult Swim Games I can't help but imagine some Aqua Teen Hunger Force web portal garbage but they've published a lot of really good stuff on Steam.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Adult Swim Games is an indie publisher like Devolver now.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oh.

Well then I wish Master Shake was an unlockable skin with voice pack

So I got Valdis Story during the Steam sale. I think it was here that people said it was sort of Castlevania-like. It seems like the bosses are just damage sponges, except the first one and some pale dude. It seems to take a bizarrely long amount of time to kill some of them.

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 3, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here are some new trailers for a couple of CV-inspired indie games:

Odallus: The Dark Call, a crowdfunded game for PC by the Brazilian indie studio that released Oniken a year or so ago. There are adventure/exploration elements but it's not a metroidvania; think something closer to Demon's Crest. (They even made backer-exclusive skins that reference CV plus Arthur and Firebrand/Red Arremer from GnG.) They're still testing the game right now but it's pretty much done and should be out on Steam before too long; if you pre-order on their site you get immediate access to the betas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFeCrWsWkU

Now this I kinda like. It passes for an old arcade game much better than most. Only the status boxes/text looks off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oniken was a rad game that pretty much no one played, but it's one of the only games of the whole 8-bit revival that actually looked like it came straight out of that era, and this looks even better.

Edit: Oniken is only like a dollar on Steam right now, you should buy it. It's more Strider/Shatterhand than Castlevania, but as I said they do the whole retro throwback thing better than pretty much everyone else, it's really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQJ0rlZn9k

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 3, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

So I got Valdis Story during the Steam sale. I think it was here that people said it was sort of Castlevania-like. It seems like the bosses are just damage sponges, except the first one and some pale dude. It seems to take a bizarrely long amount of time to kill some of them.

You are so right... It makes me feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

Also, when discussing Metroidvanias that look badass, I've been waiting a long time for something to happen with Chasm, though I think procedural generation on a Metroidvania kind of defeats the purpose.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 3, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

You are so right... It makes me feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

Also, when discussing Metroidvanias that look badass, I've been waiting a long time for something to happen with Chasm, though I think procedural generation on a Metroidvania kind of defeats the purpose.

I played it at E3. Chasm is helluva fun. It isn't true procedural generation though. They have hand-made layouts of rooms they randomize but it is divided into areas (ala SotN) and each area has a gadget that you need to progress.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh.

Well then I wish Master Shake was an unlockable skin with voice pack

Using the right magic type during a boss fight just makes them melt, but it takes some trial and error to figure it out. The game doesn't really spell out what types have weaknesses against the others except for obvious stuff like Light vs Dark. It makes a huge difference, a 20 minute boss fight takes 3-5 minutes if you use their weakness

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Using the right magic type during a boss fight just makes them melt, but it takes some trial and error to figure it out. The game doesn't really spell out what types have weaknesses against the others except for obvious stuff like Light vs Dark. It makes a huge difference, a 20 minute boss fight takes 3-5 minutes if you use their weakness

Yeah, bosses in Valdis Story are a combination of this and figuring out best to combo them. The early game bosses in general can be taken out really quickly (usually within a minute) if you do them well, especially on Normal.

Hakkesshu posted:

Oniken was a rad game that pretty much no one played, but it's one of the only games of the whole 8-bit revival that actually looked like it came straight out of that era, and this looks even better.

Edit: Oniken is only like a dollar on Steam right now, you should buy it. It's more Strider/Shatterhand than Castlevania, but as I said they do the whole retro throwback thing better than pretty much everyone else, it's really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQJ0rlZn9k

Oniken is the poo poo. I love how the story is an homage to a bunch of 80s/90s anime.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

last time I tried to play valdis there was some sort of bug on certain video cards where the game would run at 5fps and there was nothing you could do about it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, a boss that took me dozens of tries to S rank with one build took me 10 seconds to demolish on another. Valdis is nifty/irritating in that they'll let you do your own thing and sometimes it works out, sometimes it's utter poo poo and if you don't have the mats to respec then welp. But it's not a long game anyway.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

are the builds now balanced because i built guardian/tanky and it didn't seem to make much difference

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

are the builds now balanced because i built guardian/tanky and it didn't seem to make much difference

Probably not? Just build STR/AGI on Wyatt and AGI/LUCK on the Reina. No idea what the most effective build is on the two new characters they just unlocked.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I thought INT was the strongest build on Wyatt. I went for a STR/AGI build with lots of bleed and mainly used naked fist through the game for quick levels, bleed was pretty ridiculous once I got the big sword fully upgraded.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i foolishly put all my points in luck thinking it would pay off.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Luck only is plenty good but you need to build around it with stuff like the accessory that boosts all your other stats based on your luck. Any build can technically work, but the caveat is that that only applies if you know how to to get the gear that supplements it; if you don't you're better off just going full on offense and your character's main stat.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Luck worked for Reina, my character ended with ~80% crit rate.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played as Wyatt, and i've been stuck on the last boss on Valdis. Have been ever since i bought it.

I played that entire thing with a Keyboard too, maybe that's why I gave up.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 6, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Its not bad for an indie game but man it is touchy. Like I felt La Mulana and Cave Story were more forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Its not bad for an indie game but man it is touchy. Like I felt La Mulana and Cave Story were more forgiving.

The jump timing puzzles were the absolute worst.