Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The final Fractal boss does about 3.2k on a Paladin sans cooldowns. It's not a concern unless your healer is falling asleep at the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kitfox88 posted:

There's already a dps meter in game for 4 or 8 man stuff, it's called the aggro ratings by party member's names :smuggo:

Running ARF as a tank with dps who have nearly full law gear while I'm only in HQ whites is suffering tho

This has been the only way that I can tell I'm doing well as Summoner. I dig the class so far, up to 55, but drat everything except Fester feels so low impact :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So kind of want to try this game out on PS4. Never played it and don't know much about it but think I'd dig it What's my best bet of getting a copy? Does every physical copy come with a key? Can I just buy one 2nd hand? An expansion was just released as well, correct?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So kind of want to try this game out on PS4. Never played it and don't know much about it but think I'd dig it What's my best bet of getting a copy? Does every physical copy come with a key? Can I just buy one 2nd hand? An expansion was just released as well, correct?
God drat that is a lot of dicks in your av

Buying second hand will absolutely not work, sorry. Don't buy the expansion unless you're level cap and have finished the entire ARR story, which you obviously haven't.

Not good answers I know, but FFXIV is very story oriented (especially for an MMO) so they didn't want people who haven't seen the story diving right in to the expansion.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's an MMO so you need to buy a new copy. It's usually fairly cheap, and you can buy a physical or digital copy.

Heavensward is a separate purchase that only makes sense after you finish the main game's story.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah ok it's only $20 locally. Dumb question but this needs the disc like every other ps4 game right after install?

Probably just go digital if that's the case

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Vermain posted:

The final Fractal boss does about 3.2k on a Paladin sans cooldowns. It's not a concern unless your healer is falling asleep at the wheel.

Healing does make me pretty sleepy, so I am often concerned this will become an issue.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ah ok it's only $20 locally. Dumb question but this needs the disc like every other ps4 game right after install?

I'm not sure how it works but it shouldn't need the disc. A large amount of the game's data is in patches.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Nope - I have physical editions of both and neither need the disc.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Accounting for the health difference, the numbers do line up, so I guess I just need to get rid of the 58 white belt and ring. Still a bit odd to see ~4.5K on a mitigated hit, though.

VHGS posted:

Healing does make me pretty sleepy, so I am often concerned this will become an issue.

The number one complaint I hear is "out of mana" on that boss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only time I've wiped on the last boss of Fractal is when the healer decided to run in front of me as the tankbuster went out, and then panicked and ran right into a landmine.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Accounting for the health difference, the numbers do line up, so I guess I just need to get rid of the 58 white belt and ring. Still a bit odd to see ~4.5K on a mitigated hit, though.

I've been tanking the boss in lovely 58-59 gear and slaying rightside and it was fine.

Oh,

sorry. Presumed for a second you had brain cells. I apologize, that was rude of me.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As a DRK I have never seen anyone drop below maybe 40% mana on a Neverreap or Fractal boss. The only boss in either I've ever even seen a wipe on was Waukkeon because I forgot to explain Turbine.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It could also be that your dps are too dumb to know that standing in glowing squares and literal landmines is a bad thing and your healer just can't bear to see someone kill themselves on that fight.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Edit: Nevermind got back in quickly this time, yesterday was like 10 minutes.

Double edit: oh no it happened again.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 3, 2015

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be
To be fair, you've been pavlov'd to bee line straight for those juicy red pillar mines, and I don't blame anyone who ran headfirst the first time. I don't know how the hell you wipe because of it though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bombogenesis posted:

As a DRK I have never seen anyone drop below maybe 40% mana on a Neverreap or Fractal boss. The only boss in either I've ever even seen a wipe on was Waukkeon because I forgot to explain Turbine.

One time on Waukkeon we had double bard dps and they both repelling shotted off the area at 50% :downs:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The hardest dungeon boss is that stupid golem in Qarn because you inevitably get a new pub healer who just keeps getting hit by the AoEs and dying instantly.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Someone had to do it.

Youtube Doubled Music Boxes

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
The final boss of Fractal is only hard if your tank is incapable of avoiding the bad poo poo on the ground or if the dps has a deathwish and keeps setting off landmines next to the group.

Even then its easy to oneshot.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I wiped something like six times on that guy until we kicked the sch that didn't bother to get 50+ skills.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I died once on the Fractal boss because I got overeager on trying to kill one of the Educator Drone Guys myself

Also coming into 60 fresh with a hodgepodge of sub-150 white gear I immediately tried to pull massive packs and kind of got exploded but those are a hell of a lot more managable now

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

bonewitch posted:

The final boss of Fractal is only hard if your tank is incapable of avoiding the bad poo poo on the ground or if the dps has a deathwish and keeps setting off landmines next to the group.

the tank in question is swissarmydruid soooo

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Doublestep posted:

the tank in question is swissarmydruid soooo

Yeah i'm not surprised his groups can't clear lmao

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Realtalk: both Expert final bosses can get sketchy if your group is getting extra cycles. It shouldn't wipe you if you're actually good at your class, but Curator in a sub-150 group is tight on the healer's mana even if no one gets hit because of the dispels. If your tank and/or DPS are bad, I can definitely see how you can struggle there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bonewitch posted:

We one shot it blind with lovely vendor i150s and Library gear, except for one person who had like two pieces of Law :shrug:

Also that one person with Law gear told us jaaaack poo poo about the fight.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed about Fractal Continuum's last boss. That's a very hard-hitting tankbuster on a very short timer, I have yet to run a group that oneshots it. Frankly, it's just not very fun, and I would much rather run around Neverreap and swing my axe around for ludicrous crits on adds.

It's an easy loving trash dungeon and if you have problems I feel bad for you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I hope 2.55 spoilers are kosher at this point because lmao

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Captain Oblivious posted:

We one shot it blind with lovely vendor i150s and Library gear, except for one person who had like two pieces of Law :shrug:

Also that one person with Law gear told us jaaaack poo poo about the fight.

I did it on like Day 4 of EA when almost nobody had done it before. Fights easy as hell.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
if healers are oom'ing on the last boss in fractal its because they're chain casting medica2/equivalents and not rotating their MP cooldowns or panichealing over what is pretty spaced out, consistent, easy to predict damage

ie not good healers

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Mac client is pulled and Square is offering refunds for those that bought from their store.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/0f6df59d2175ff4ddc26de3981641512f05a9e14

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

siotle posted:

I think a lot of people use enc dps, which is damage averaged over the entire encounter.

Still does not tell alot, as if you do not set up your parser correctly and you don't do a move for the default 5 seconds the entire thing resets.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Still does not tell alot, as if you do not set up your parser correctly and you don't do a move for the default 5 seconds the entire thing resets.

and if i jump out of a skyscraper i turn into red paste

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

and if i jump out of a skyscraper i turn into red paste

Most likely not, give it a shot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just got a physical copy gonna throw it in when I get home and I assume it'll need to download a million things. So the disc comes with a free month and there's a trial as well?

Who has a referral whatever code for new players

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just got a physical copy gonna throw it in when I get home and I assume it'll need to download a million things. So the disc comes with a free month and there's a trial as well?

RC4FFHUU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Plenty in the PGS thread.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't know why I even bother trying to keep Enochian up on that Neverreap final boss. Like I honestly don't think it's worth the mental effort and rotation gymnastics required for such a minimal DPS increase; most of the time on that boss I spend all of my brainpower trying to watch it and the AOEs/adds and end up accidentally dropping Astral Fire or not having enough MP left to do Blizz 3 :negative:

In general, what's the best way to recover if you end up with too little MP for Blizz 3? I guess the only real options are Transpose, which means you probably won't have enough time left to keep Enochian up, or Convert, which has waaay too long of a cooldown to be a reliable emergency cast.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

more like dICK posted:

Bismarck is a bad fight because Bismarck is barely involved.

Be glad that bismarck's too dumb to just destroy Cid's airship.

The fight on Extreme really isn't that bad. Unless your DPS are terrible in which case you're pretty hosed.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think Bismark EX is decently enjoyable, too bad it's extremely easy and there's no real reason to run it more than once.

Don't worry, it's going to show up in the relic chain soon enough when 3.1 hits.

KaneTW posted:

I'm just really frustrated when you do Sohm Al and do half the party's DPS as a Warrior.

Having Deliverance tends to make you poo poo out damage :iia:

When I had it for a LLDR the other day the NIN was doing pretty good damage and the BRD was probably doing good DPS for a lvl 53 BRD? He was doing way less than the NIN but I wouldn't expect BRDs to be on par with NINs.

psymonkey posted:

I started using ACT two nights ago to try and improve my own play since I really want to try and keep up with content now that I've caught up to the gear curve and I've never played an MMO seriously before this, and DPS checks seem to be A Thing.

But yeah I was in a Bismark EX group that kept failing the water/wind dps check by like 1-5% last night and one of the dps consistently had less damage than me (tank), while the other 3 had ~twice as much. And I was just like, man I don't wanna put this guy on blast, but also drat we just wasted like an hour and a half failing on the same part. Weird situation. I just didn't say anything.

Were you failing even when using LB? In the PF groups where this happened having a melee LB1 asap helped sometimes. Though you're still probably kinda hosed in the last phase if the DPS is too slow and you can't kill the adds before they start breaking poo poo.

Malloreon posted:

Is there a better general overview for leveling from 55-60?

I just finished the Aery for the first time last night, and I'm about 400K into 55. I have one more story quest I can do before needing to be 56 to continue.

I've tried so far to leave sidequests for alt jobs, but I've done 5-6 of them anyway. bad idea?

- duty roulettes each day (+ challenge log completions)
- sidequests?
- running the highest level dungeon over and over (currently Aery)?
- ??

Kill your rank 1-3 hunt targets every day because it's 1-3 mobs for 23-30k XP per target and it's very nice. Having all 3 daily lists is more XP per day for my WAR than LLDR+bonus in some cases and far more laid back. When I was getting MNK to 60 in early access they were still one of the first things I'd do each day because few things gave more XP faster.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It could also be that your dps are too dumb to know that standing in glowing squares and literal landmines is a bad thing and your healer just can't bear to see someone kill themselves on that fight.

Or they do know it's a bad idea and so one of them triggers a nearby landmine so it'll throw you in to the middle of a bunch of glowing squares and kill you. :v:

bonewitch posted:

I did it on like Day 4 of EA when almost nobody had done it before. Fights easy as hell.

{Same}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Are DPS queues for Neverreap/Fractal 20+ minutes on other servers, or is this something special about Faerie? Like I was all excited that they made grinding out Tomestones and gear so easy in this expansion but I'm stuck in queues that are literally longer than the dungeons half the time.

Everyone I ask about it just seems to say "welp, DPS :shrug:" but I don't know if there are more efficient ways I could be getting gear or what. Only other thing I can think of is to play something else while queueing

• Locked thread