Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

ImpAtom posted:

How so? It's just a regular combat room except sometimes you have to counter thrown knives. It's not a great fight but I can't see it being anyone's worst.

Yeah, it's a pretty easy one, no special guys means even with the need to do takedowns is not a real challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Reverand Me posted:

I've tried 4 times and I can't make the drat thing work. I can start a beatdown and counter the other guys but then I'll get caught by a knife or I'll counter someone and Batman just kicks the doll guy in the face instead of continuing the beatdown. I've never had this much trouble with a Arkham boss.

The dolls exist only to let you build up combo so you can slam Pyg's face into the surgical table with an environmental attack.

Once you get to like 3 left, they won't go down any more and just get knocked down and get back up.

Agreed that its pretty bad, because Pyg is the only enemy in the game that avoids getting into melee range and there's no reason to think the surgical table is an environmental takedown.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
At the start of the fight there's a sequence that says "these dolls are invincible".

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

ayn rand hand job posted:

The dolls exist only to let you build up combo so you can slam Pyg's face into the surgical table with an environmental attack.

Once you get to like 3 left, they won't go down any more and just get knocked down and get back up.

Agreed that its pretty bad, because Pyg is the only enemy in the game that avoids getting into melee range and there's no reason to think the surgical table is an environmental takedown.

Thanks, I had no idea you were supposed to do that. I'll try it tomorrow.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Except the part where the table and him turn bright blue like every other environmental takedown, and you don't need a combo to do one either.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

You can perma knock the dolls out through environment takedowns and using the knockout B+Y (or square+Triangle) thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

At the start of the fight there's a sequence that says "these dolls are invincible".

Nah, it just says they're highly resistant to pain....and then you can actually take them down. Like, you can actually KO 2 or 3 of them with the KO takedown. So that entire conversation is loving meaningless.

Why would you focus and KO them? You can't attack Pyg directly. He will always keep the table in between you and him, no matter how stupid it is.

You might think "Hey, I can stun him with a blade counter" and then try to attack him. But no, he still moves the goddamned table.

So you might try beating up the dolls in an endless fashion, so you somehow might trigger Pyg to move a new phase where he can actually take damage.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Except the part where the table and him turn bright blue like every other environmental takedown, and you don't need a combo to do one either.

Yes, I am aware that the table finally turned blue after about 10 minutes of doing the damned fight, and after trying to attack Pyg for the 5 or 6th time. It actually clued me in on how it was supposed to go down.

It doesn't turn blue when its in the room during the previous round of fighting. It is only usable in one fight in the entire game.

edit:

It's a really easy fight once you know the trick. But it's poorly laid out and breaks a lot of the conventions of the game's combat, which can be frustrating given a lack of direction and possible oversight of being able to KO the seemingly un-KOable Dollotrons.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 3, 2015

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

Nah, it just says they're highly resistant to pain....and then you can actually take them down. Like, you can actually KO 2 or 3 of them with the KO takedown. So that entire conversation is loving meaningless.

Why would you focus and KO them? You can't attack Pyg directly. He will always keep the table in between you and him, no matter how stupid it is.

You might think "Hey, I can stun him with a blade counter" and then try to attack him. But no, he still moves the goddamned table.

So you might try beating up the dolls in an endless fashion, so you somehow might trigger Pyg to move a new phase where he can actually take damage.

Yes, I am aware that the table finally turned blue after about 10 minutes of doing the damned fight, and after trying to attack Pyg for the 5 or 6th time. It actually clued me in on how it was supposed to go down.

It doesn't turn blue when its in the room during the previous round of fighting. It is only usable in one fight in the entire game.

edit:

It's a really easy fight once you know the trick. But it's poorly laid out and breaks a lot of the conventions of the game's combat, which can be frustrating given a lack of direction and possible oversight.

That's exactly how I feel about it, I was just too wound up to express it properly. I had to watch a couple of youtube vids to really get the trick to it. Done it now though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

There's a 99% chance it is Tim Drake considering they're dating in the main game.

I doubt it though. Barbara was Oracle even back at Asylum and we never got the implication that it was a recent shift. I'd place odds on Dick. Maybe that's my favoritism. The audio tapes also give me reason to believe it'll be Jason.

Is it possible to complete all the militia stuff before taking down the Arkham Knight? No, right, because that would break Deathstroke?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Is there a trick to the batmobile shooting gallery riddler trophy on the back of the orphanage besides "shoot faster?" I never get a prompt for a multiple missile strike or anything.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

It's a really easy fight once you know the trick. But it's poorly laid out and breaks a lot of the conventions of the game's combat, which can be frustrating given a lack of direction and possible oversight of being able to KO the seemingly un-KOable Dollotrons.

Doesn't the game directly tell you to use ground takedowns or am I misremembering?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't think of anything it breaks. Also the game specifically tells you how to KO them. Batman even has a line about how he's going to have to go out of his way to keep them down because they're immune to pain.

Also i really don't know what you mean by lack of direction. Literally the only gimmick is using an environmental takedown and it glows blue to let you know to do that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think they go down if you ground pound them enough or do takedowns. Both times I've fought him I knocked them all out before attacking him.

Also I have now 200% finished the game, and all I got was the lousy beat it on new game plus achievement. I don't think there's even a separate one for beating it on hard.

Terrible Horse posted:

Is there a trick to the batmobile shooting gallery riddler trophy on the back of the orphanage besides "shoot faster?" I never get a prompt for a multiple missile strike or anything.

Fill up your special meter (supposedly there is a winch point right around there that juices you up) and just spam 1 when the whole board lights up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SonicRulez posted:

Is it possible to complete all the militia stuff before taking down the Arkham Knight? No, right, because that would break Deathstroke?

It's impossible some of the militia stuff doesn't spawn until after Arkham Knight's been defeated

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah, there's a winch point on the opposite wall that fills your special meter up constantly. I already had the x10 missiles at that point so EVERY TARGET EVER.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

SonicRulez posted:

You can do all available ones but they'll just be crossed out, not green, because more bombs, checkpoints, and watchtowers get added when you take him down.

I'm sure I'm the only one, but I would have liked a 100% reward for this game to be Superman: Arkham Knight where Batman realizes he's in over his head and calls in the big guns. It would make the entire game trivial and I'm sure most people would find it boring but I'd love just messing with all these regular people with the Man of Steel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mastajake posted:

You can do all available ones but they'll just be crossed out, not green, because more bombs, checkpoints, and watchtowers get added when you take him down.

I'm sure I'm the only one, but I would have liked a 100% reward for this game to be Superman: Arkham Knight where Batman realizes he's in over his head and calls in the big guns. It would make the entire game trivial and I'm sure most people would find it boring but I'd love just messing with all these regular people with the Man of Steel.

"What if Bruce wasn't an rear end in a top hat" mode would be an amazing DLC. He just calls in Robin and Nightwing right off the bat, he's open about his problems, they promptly solve everything in under an hour and then go out for tea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

mastajake posted:

The end of the game is Superman taking Batman and Jason to counseling.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm just glad he's not wearing an actual pig head. I think he does that in the comics, right?

No, he doesn't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. I'd been told he did. I guess the comics aren't as weird as I thought.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
More on timeline things, since I'm playing right now. Talking to Dick during the Penguin stuff he says he still thinks of Tim as the new guy. Commends him for coming in after what happened before. It's kinda weird because this sidequest at first starts with Batman telling Nightwing to gently caress off back to Bludhaven. But literally every minute after that is "We work well together. You're the best. I love you son, come home." while Nightwing is all "drat, I hated living with you, I hated working with you, I like being gone. No, gently caress YOU, Bat-Dad!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Man, the easter eggs in this game! Guess who actually invented the Cloudburst?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I want a Batman '66 game that has the old school Batmobile, takes place only during the daytime, and has cameos by entertainers sticking their heads out of windows when Batman and Robin walk up the side of a building via bat-rope. I want Sammy Davis Jr popping his head out so I can give him a lecture on civic responsibility. I want giant set pieces like over-sized typewriters, an abundance of things in the city related to the number 2, thugs in domino masks running down the street with bags full of cash that have a $ sign on them, and a swinging dance number where I have to do the right dance combos until I get to the Batusi and win. The GCPD should be full of cops using a stereotypical Irish-American accent. I want my goddamn Bat Shark-Repellent. I'll preorder it now for $250 if need be.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

JFC posted:

I want a Batman '66 game that has the old school Batmobile, takes place only during the daytime, and has cameos by entertainers sticking their heads out of windows when Batman and Robin walk up the side of a building via bat-rope. I want Sammy Davis Jr popping his head out so I can give him a lecture on civic responsibility. I want giant set pieces like over-sized typewriters, an abundance of things in the city related to the number 2, thugs in domino masks running down the street with bags full of cash that have a $ sign on them, and a swinging dance number where I have to do the right dance combos until I get to the Batusi and win. The GCPD should be full of cops using a stereotypical Irish-American accent. I want my goddamn Bat Shark-Repellent. I'll preorder it now for $250 if need be.

But that isn't DARK AND GRITTY enough for a Batman game,according to the same people who liked Man of Steel.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Did they remove the option to reset your skills in one of the patches? Or is it just not available after a certain point? I know I was able to the first day I played the game, and I watched some other youtube vids where you could hit square (ps4) to reset your skills but I definitely can't do it now!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

VolticSurge posted:

But that isn't DARK AND GRITTY enough for a Batman game,according to the same people who liked Man of Steel.

The game starts out as Adam West Batman and as the game progresses by the endgame it's Dark Knight Returns

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

VolticSurge posted:

I have no desire to see a goofy Batman '66 AAA game and hated Man of Steel.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd be ok with a Batman '66 game but probably wouldn't get excited about it.

Man of Steel was objectively awful.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want Adam West batman game now dammit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JFC posted:

I would be so so so excited about this. You don't even know.

Honestly my favorite Batman eras are the far ends. Goofy kitsch hell and depressing gloomy grim dark.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I have no desire to see a goofy Batman '66 AAA game and hated Man of Steel.

That's fine. I'm just saying that because the majority of the people I've talked to about it were in one of two catagories:
1.Loves goofy camp,hates dark and edgy stuff.
2.Thinks edgy stuff is the bestest EVAR! (the people in Camp 2 were mostly idiots,as expected)

No one I know personally has fallen into your "In-Between" camp,honestly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Man of Steel was good. Batman '66 was also good.

It's almost like you guys are inventing weird fictional people to argue with.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

Man of Steel was good.

Because a movie where Supes acts like an rear end in a top hat,gets so many people killed,and straight-up murders a guy when non-lethal alternatives where available totally gets the character right.

But that's a discussion for a different thread,I'll leave it there.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

Man of Steel was good. Batman '66 was also good.

It's almost like you guys are inventing weird fictional people to argue with.

Straw man arguments? On the internet? No. impossible.

I would also like to see a Batman '66 game but I also really enjoy Arkham Knight. I've got a few hangups but I didn't mind the Batmobile and I liked the take on the Arkham Knight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VolticSurge posted:

Because a movie where Supes acts like an rear end in a top hat,gets so many people killed,and straight-up murders a guy when non-lethal alternatives where available totally gets the character right.

But that's a discussion for a different thread,I'll leave it there.

In fairness, Batman does these exact things in this game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

In fairness, Batman does these exact things in this game.

But for Batman,it doesn't feel as outta character as Man of Steel,probably because Joker and some members of the Bat-Family call him out a few times on his BS. There's no one to do that for Supes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would be so so so excited about this. You don't even know.

Honestly my favorite Batman eras are the far ends. Goofy kitsch hell and depressing gloomy grim dark.

This is me. I can appreciate what the better parts of canon (I think mostly TAS?) added to this game as far as backstory and villains and stuff, most everyting except the Nolan Batmen and the really good self-contained comics is unwatchable. The 60's Batman would be so ripe for creative fun that departs from the Arkham formula while still being buildable using the engine and systems they have, and obviously the internet would gobble it up. I bet that it will happen.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Alright, there's a Riddler trophy outside Panessa Studios that I'm too stupid to get - There's three question marks that need to be hit to unlock it and there's an electrified ceiling. I can EMP the ceiling to shut it off with the Batmobile, but doing that also shuts off the question marks. I can get a remote batarang up there and just hang out til the question marks come back on, but then I can only hit one of them that way and using the EMP again on the ceiling resets it. What am I doing wrong?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Use the midair line launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

CuwiKhons posted:

Alright, there's a Riddler trophy outside Panessa Studios that I'm too stupid to get - There's three question marks that need to be hit to unlock it and there's an electrified ceiling. I can EMP the ceiling to shut it off with the Batmobile, but doing that also shuts off the question marks. I can get a remote batarang up there and just hang out til the question marks come back on, but then I can only hit one of them that way and using the EMP again on the ceiling resets it. What am I doing wrong?

EMP it, launch out of the Batmobile into a glide, use the line launcher to perch, and throw regular Batarangs. Or get enough charge to use the EMP and then follow it up with Batmobile rockets.

• Locked thread