Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Yeah, what the hell was that all about??? I was so confused why I was a bitch all of a sudden. I will say this, the scene previous to that line was my favorite to shoot, with me and Todd in the sleeping bags. It was the only time I felt like it was organic dialogue between two people rather than an awkward setup for a punchline, and I wanted to really *act*, y'know? Funny thing is, Rob told us he didn't write that scene to be dramatic, but they liked our interpretation. I was like...what? Was that supposed to be funny?? Huh???

Thing is, Doug and Rob don't know how to write women. They only know stereotypes, which, in all fairness, is how they write everyone else. But they only know the archetypes, the swoony girly type or the tough bitch. They just saw me in my Reviewaverse Saga stuff and assumed, because I could fight in that particular series, "Obscurus Lupa" must be a tough bitch. Also Doug liked my leather jacket. So, regardless of how my "character" was in my videos, that's how I was in TBF.

One of the anniversaries, I want to say the Brawl, there was originally a pillow fight between two of the girls, and Lindsay said no. You will find many of the worst "girl stories" from the anniversaries end in "Lindsay said no."

These stories just make me like Lindsay more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
As far as I could tell, the channel awesome business model was:

1. sign as many shows as possible
2. have the small critics show up in the big critics' videos
3. when this happens have the big critic squint and say "critic name????" in the exact same way
4. ad revenue?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kind of sad that Linsday Ellis' real life was basically the same as her videos: endlessly explaining elementary concepts in feminism to nerds actively trying to sexualize her while ignoring what she says. I'm watching the movie now and really "enjoying" the part where they crank call Lupa and exchange "jokes" about breast size. It started right as I was reading that post.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

There just didn't need to be that many extraneous characters played by the same person, especially when the cast was already way too big. Hell, there's no real payoff for any character to be there other than the Critic anyway, since we blow up and become irrelevant. If maybe the cyborg plot had turned us against each other and it was like crew against crew, it might've brought everything together a little better.

Honestly, I could do without most if not all the crew members. They never stood out to me. Also, Phelous' running gag as a red shirt was unfunny, they should have left him in the back so he can push buttons in the most passive aggressive way possible.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Lindsay saved everyone's butts on Suburban Knights. The shoot wasn't going on schedule and we even had a meeting where everyone was to vote if we wanted to finish as is, or change it to a documentary style shoot about a failed anniversary movie. That's one of my best memories of Suburban Knights, because we all said no, we're not voting, we're gonna finish this. So Lindsay, Doug, Rob, and I believe Ed as well all holed up in a room privately and Lindsay got them to finally agree to using two cameras to shoot. Literally, they were that stubborn, they didn't want to change from just having Rob singlehandedly shoot everything on one camera.

Not even kidding, Ed was originally brought in just to play one of the guys in robes, and after that meeting he was the second camera man.

PassTheRemote posted:

Honestly, I could do without most if not all the crew members. They never stood out to me. Also, Phelous' running gag as a red shirt was unfunny, they should have left him in the back so he can push buttons in the most passive aggressive way possible.

True, but as an anniversary movie I felt it should've been more about the ensemble. The whole thing's a mess either way, really.

EDIT: Oh and Phelan hated the red shirt gag. He'd stopped doing the resurrection gag eons before the movie, but there wasn't any time to change it by the time we got the script.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 3, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Lindsay saved everyone's butts on Suburban Knights. The shoot wasn't going on schedule and we even had a meeting where everyone was to vote if we wanted to finish as is, or change it to a documentary style shoot about a failed anniversary movie. That's one of my best memories of Suburban Knights, because we all said no, we're not voting, we're gonna finish this. So Lindsay, Doug, Rob, and I believe Ed as well all holed up in a room privately and Lindsay got them to finally agree to using two cameras to shoot. Literally, they were that stubborn, they didn't want to change from just having Rob singlehandedly shoot everything on one camera.

Not even kidding, Ed was originally brought in just to play one of the guys in robes, and after that meeting he was the second camera man.

Squandering of talent right there. Bring in a filmmaker and have him not do any of the camera work. Hell, I kind of wish Ed and Lindsay locked Doug and Rob in that room and let Ed direct.

Miss Wallace posted:

True, but as an anniversary movie I felt it should've been more about the ensemble. The whole thing's a mess either way, really.

I understand, but as TBF was set up, is just too filled with people who do not get enough time to shine on their own. There were how many producers at that shoot, 20? Ensemble pieces are not easy, especially if Doug wants to be center stage in every scene. I'd say the way to go with 20 people is let's say 7 producers on the protagonist side (including Doug), 7 on the villain's side, and the rest have a scene or two as cameos.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

I understand, but as TBF was set up, is just too filled with people who do not get enough time to shine on their own. There were how many producers at that shoot, 20? Ensemble pieces are not easy, especially if Doug wants to be center stage in every scene. I'd say the way to go with 20 people is let's say 7 producers on the protagonist side (including Doug), 7 on the villain's side, and the rest have a scene or two as cameos.

Makes sense! Probably would've been a much better movie.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

johnfw50 posted:

Speaking of movies when is the AT4W movie coming out?

Just barely. He has his own website and it seems like it takes weeks for his new episodes to be uploaded to CA.

I highly recommend following him on Twitter. You'll get way better notification of new episodes. And his tweets are sharp, insightful, and very witty.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Makes sense! Probably would've been a much better movie.

Also would have made an easier shoot because of less people on the set at any given moment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

EDIT: Oh and Phelan hated the red shirt gag. He'd stopped doing the resurrection gag eons before the movie, but there wasn't any time to change it by the time we got the script.

You could kind of tell. No disrespect towards Phelan intended but his heart was obviously not in most of the material. He's so passionate in his normal stuff (in his sarcastic way) and that just didn't come through. He seemed way more enthusiastic in Suburban Knights (and I honestly believed he'd written his own material for that one.)

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
On that note, Allison you said you wanted to act and for what it's worth (not excusing the bizarre-at-best direction or you having a poo poo time) you did really well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Speaking of Lupa, Bizarro Improv Master, do you still do Movie Nights without a script? You come across as much more confident with the format now than you were a few months ago.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Seconded - I was originally nervous about Movie Nights going solo again after all the group episodes, but I didn't even notice the difference. Yea, another person to talk to is always fun, but it feels like the solo episodes have a really energetic conversational tone that makes them a lot of fun to watch.

... I still want to know if you're going to break down and do The Langoliers after that awesome live recapping of it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

You could kind of tell. No disrespect towards Phelan intended but his heart was obviously not in most of the material. He's so passionate in his normal stuff (in his sarcastic way) and that just didn't come through. He seemed way more enthusiastic in Suburban Knights (and I honestly believed he'd written his own material for that one.)

Hahaha, well he did do that awesome Patton Oswalt ref in the party scene, so hey.

emeriin posted:

On that note, Allison you said you wanted to act and for what it's worth (not excusing the bizarre-at-best direction or you having a poo poo time) you did really well.

Aw, thanks so much, I appreciate it. I feel like I got more of an opportunity for stuff like that in the At4W movie, so hopefully it comes across in the final product.

echopapa posted:

Speaking of Lupa, Bizarro Improv Master, do you still do Movie Nights without a script? You come across as much more confident with the format now than you were a few months ago.

It's kind of a mix. I'm definitely a lot more confident than I was when I started, but I also use notes and jokes I write down as I'm watching it. So it's not scripted per se, but I do have a guideline to follow. I've also been playing with editing and sound a bit more too, which I think helps bring up the energy.

Rebochan posted:

Seconded - I was originally nervous about Movie Nights going solo again after all the group episodes, but I didn't even notice the difference. Yea, another person to talk to is always fun, but it feels like the solo episodes have a really energetic conversational tone that makes them a lot of fun to watch.

... I still want to know if you're going to break down and do The Langoliers after that awesome live recapping of it.

Thanks! And I definitely want to do The Langoliers (lord help me). I have a handful of Dean Stockwell movies I wanna cover now, but I feel I should spread them out a bit. I gotta do Sinbad first though, 'cause holy poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! And I definitely want to do The Langoliers (lord help me). I have a handful of Dean Stockwell movies I wanna cover now, but I feel I should spread them out a bit. I gotta do Sinbad first though, 'cause holy poo poo.

I have such a love/hate relationship with The Langoliers. Like, it's terrible? But I love it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Man, it has some hilarious moments, but it's so draaaaaaininnnng to watch. I felt like I died halfway through.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Rebochan posted:

Seconded -

Thirdeded -- I think the turning point was the Quantum Leap novel. The sense of "bowled over by WTF and you guys have to hear about it" energy really came through.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched the Langoliers a long time ago after reading the book, and it sure is something. :allears: Until the monsters come, it's pretty atmospheric and mysterious. Then the CGI meatballs attack...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think the funniest thing about this TGWTG stuff is I still don't understand at all why anyone would watch TGWTG, but there are always people who say they like it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I think the funniest thing about this TGWTG stuff is I still don't understand at all why anyone would watch TGWTG, but there are always people who say they like it.

Some people think a screechy manchild flailing around is funny. See: just about every Let's Player on youtube.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

dreezy posted:

I've only seen maybe 10% of the roughly 200 different CA critics, but is there a reason they all seem to follow the exact same format?

Get a silly name, come up with a tag line to say at the beginning, specialize in an area of media, cut between talking to the camera and clips from the work, clips from popular culture/memes, and wacky recurring characters.

A lot of them seem like decent folks but after the first dozen or so I watched, they all seemed to blend together.
That's kind of how these things work where a bunch of people see the Angry Video Game Nerd and Nostalgia Critic getting a lot of views/making money and decide "Hey if I just copy this with a little spin I'll make a ton of money and become famous". And it works for a little bit until audiences get bored of the saturation of the same stuff so in order to survive, some change the format to be something new. At least that's my take.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

That's kind of how these things work where a bunch of people see the Angry Video Game Nerd and Nostalgia Critic getting a lot of views/making money and decide "Hey if I just copy this with a little spin I'll make a ton of money and become famous". And it works for a little bit until audiences get bored of the saturation of the same stuff so in order to survive, some change the format to be something new. At least that's my take.

That's a cynical way of looking at it. At the very least, assume that people who want to make reviews have passion about the things they want to review, but they just don't know how to format it as a review, so they find the most popular review shows and take that format.

Leastways that's how it worked way back when there was no money involved even for the big names like AVGN or Nostalgia Critic. I guess there are people who start review shows now who are thinking money first, but I can't imagine they survive long.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I tend to assume it's less a cynical money grab and more just a bunch of people liking the format, since a lot of reviewers start out as fans of the shows and it looks fun from the audience side of things (and, honestly, most creators of any kind of content just aren't inclined toward originality). Plus a lot of the format works decently well as a basic template, though I'm increasingly dismayed at the presence of skits in reviews, particularly ones with continuity. If you want to make a goofy show, make a side project.

The kind of "character reviewer" thing is an interesting development. I don't know whether it's ultimately a good or bad thing, though I like it best when it's something that spices up an otherwise fairly straightforward review, without really getting in the way of things. A few throwaway gags and lines here and there, rather than costumes and props and silly fight scenes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's a cynical way of looking at it. At the very least, assume that people who want to make reviews have passion about the things they want to review, but they just don't know how to format it as a review, so they find the most popular review shows and take that format.

Leastways that's how it worked way back when there was no money involved even for the big names like AVGN or Nostalgia Critic. I guess there are people who start review shows now who are thinking money first, but I can't imagine they survive long.
Yeah I didn't mean to be that cynical, I meant to say people find a format that seems to work and appeals to them at first and then over time add their own quirks ideas to the table till its nothing like the original format

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you say tgwtg reviewers, you are referring to doug mostly, I assume? Because individually, I don't think anyone could really stay mad at lewis, joe, mike or bennett. They all seem like decent guys who are just associated with the site, and I feel most of their current draw comes from their youtube viewerbase nowadays.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

The kind of "character reviewer" thing is an interesting development. I don't know whether it's ultimately a good or bad thing, though I like it best when it's something that spices up an otherwise fairly straightforward review, without really getting in the way of things. A few throwaway gags and lines here and there, rather than costumes and props and silly fight scenes.

Like all creative projects, it's a risk. You might gain notoriety, or stand out from the crowd, or please people with the extra layer of content. Or you might alienate some of your audience, or put a barrier to entry for new viewers.

There's been some reviewers I've absolutely loved because of the skits/characters (though only when backed up by a solid review, of course). There's been others that front-loaded their video with a 5+ minute sketch full of inside jokes and side characters (before they even getting to the movie they were reviewing!), and that turned me off them-- or at the very least, by the time I actually got in the review, they were trying to impress me from a deficit.

On the other hand, there's been some reviewers who were just straight "talk at a camera" who I couldn't stand-- but I'd attribute that to a lack of entertainment value period (no charisma, no energy, no unique opinion), rather than a lack of skits or characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh for Christ's sake, of course Doug had to go and make yet another Jurassic World video. Except this one has the added bonus of passive aggressive bitching about hollywood, claiming to be the reason that The Room is now more well known, and yet more screaming about the Indominus Rex and subjectively bad CGI. All the while having the entire goddamn review done with his posse of demo reel dead weight actors recreating each scene from the film.

Also, his Bryce Dallas Howard stand in has to wear an outfit that pushes out her tits for some reason. I just thought that was relevant given our recent conversation about how tone deaf Rob and Doug are when portraying women.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 4, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

All the while having the entire goddamn review done with his posse of demo reel dead weight actors recreating each scene from the film.
These sketches are such an unfunny bore. I really used to like Doug's reviews, but now they're pretty much all unwatchable because of the changed format.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

One frustrating thing is that when there's a crossover, the reason behind it is always "I'm sadistic and I want to torture the other person" instead of being something that a normal person would do.

WickedHate posted:

I watched the Langoliers a long time ago after reading the book, and it sure is something. :allears: Until the monsters come, it's pretty atmospheric and mysterious. Then the CGI meatballs attack...

That seems to be how a lot of Steven King adaptions come off, atmospheric and creepy before building to an unsatisfying climax.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 4, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I guess there are people who start review shows now who are thinking money first, but I can't imagine they survive long.

I've been at this for 5 years and have yet to make more than chump change. And in real terms, I'm still doing gangbusters over the vast numerical majority of YouTubers. You'd have to be one dumb son of a bitch to think that internet videos are easy money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigRed0427 posted:

If anyone wants two hear two grown men slap fight over asset flipping, Jim Sterling does an interview with the guy who made The Slaughtering Grounds in his podcast.

It just keeps going and going..... jesus christ. Robert's argument about Jim creating a race of creatures to demolish public places as justification for attacking him, and then Jim's outburst of laughter right afterwards. Good god.

EDIT:

"You need to go back and tell me what I said that wasn't logical!"

Jim: "Well, pretty much all of it."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 4, 2015

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcma0bKjJlY

Moviebob gets triggered by the X-Files movie, then manages to forget that Judd Hirsch played a parody of a Jewish person. He also throws some hate on his generation and love for millennials because this is Moviebob, after all.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcma0bKjJlY

Moviebob gets triggered by the X-Files movie, then manages to forget that Judd Hirsch played a parody of a Jewish person. He also throws some hate on his generation and love for millennials because this is Moviebob, after all.

Just give MovieBlob a while. He went from offensively terrible to just sorta meh and eye-rolling at worst. Within the next five years we'll hold him as near and dear as Brad Jones.

Edit: Okay, he's not just bitching about the movie but about the X-files in general? Them's fighting words.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 4, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I finally watched the second movie a few days ago and it was ok, even if a bit underwhelming. X-Files, as a whole, was an alright silly monster show.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DStecks posted:

I've been at this for 5 years and have yet to make more than chump change. And in real terms, I'm still doing gangbusters over the vast numerical majority of YouTubers. You'd have to be one dumb son of a bitch to think that internet videos are easy money.

Would anyone still think that any more? I'm thinking of doing a movie review show, and even I don't think of it as easy money, Patreon or otherwise.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Testekill posted:

That seems to be how a lot of Steven King adaptions come off, atmospheric and creepy before building to an unsatisfying climax.

I really don't think The Langoliers qualified as atmospheric or creepy at any point. Literally Steven Pinchot is trying to eat the camera in every scene and there's a "spooky" speech about how the langoliers sound like crispy cereal in milk.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Testekill posted:

Pretty much, all the really memorable tv adaptations seem to suffer from this, as do a few of the lesser known films. But Langoliers has to be the most egregious example. Its also the one that winds me up the most. I watched it when it premièred over two nights, the first part ends just before the reveal when that -`rice crispies in milk`:sigh: sound you've been sorta hearing throughout the episode dominating the soundtrack and the business yuppies delusions getting longer and more sustained. After hearing me gushing about it the day after several friends and my dad watched part two. Twenty minutes in CGI testicles with teeth show up and eat everything.

That show actually damaged my reputation.

Spark That Bled posted:

Would anyone still think that any more? I'm thinking of doing a movie review show, and even I don't think of it as easy money, Patreon or otherwise.

For most it'll probably be the icing on the cake but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a ton of people who see AVGN and the like and think they can make big money doing the same thing. Its a bit like getting into acting because you kinda like it and you've seen the lavish lifestyles of the big A-listers.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

Pretty much, all the really memorable tv adaptations seem to suffer from this, as do a few of the lesser known films. But Langoliers has to be the most egregious example. Its also the one that winds me up the most. I watched it when it premièred over two nights, the first part ends just before the reveal when that -`rice crispies in milk`:sigh: sound you've been sorta hearing throughout the episode dominating the soundtrack and the business yuppies delusions getting longer and more sustained. After hearing me gushing about it the day after several friends and my dad watched part two. Twenty minutes in CGI testicles with teeth show up and eat everything.

That show actually damaged my reputation.

My favorite bit might be them ending on a freeze frame of them jumping into the air.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Miss Wallace posted:

My favorite bit might be them ending on a freeze frame of them jumping into the air.

Well, it was a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Several people were eaten by time or stabbed to death.

• Locked thread