Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I bought the contract thing and fufilled a contract, but can't manage to turn it in. Servers are probably swamped. I'm not even getting points on my other contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I bought the contract thing and fufilled a contract, but can't manage to turn it in. Servers are probably swamped. I'm not even getting points on my other contract.

Yeah they screwed the pooch just as I fulfilled my second contracts bonus.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Every one is downloading the update which makes the item servers go down. Should be fine tomorrow, they are just overloaded.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

Delete your current FrankenHUD install
Go to https://github.com/TheKins/frankenhud
Click "Download Master"
Shove the "hud_src" folder into your tf/custom directory
Enjoy a mostly-hotfixed, but still slightly wonky FrankenHUD

Thanks!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

And now my contract got reset. Hopefully it'll fix itself when the servers are ready. (Edit: It did not)

The "switch weapons" thing sounds erally awesome if you lsoe connection to the item server, now I just need to find and kill another Demoman.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I finished my contracts like five times over before the servers finally stabilized enough for me to turn them in. Just keep at it, you've got all week.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jippa posted:

Every one is downloading the update which makes the item servers go down. Should be fine tomorrow, they are just overloaded.
The item servers seem to have been turned off for a little while due to a bug that lets people craft things that they shouldn't be able to craft, like Australium weapons, stock weapons, promo weapons etc.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A friend of mine wrote her dissertation on the art of TF2. She is considering burning it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Slime posted:

The bonus points contribute to leveling your coin up. Apart from that, it might do nothing at all.

Edit: A little math shows that if you want to make your coin gold, you need to do most of your bonus objectives. I think you can miss like 4, assuming there's 12 weeks of contracts totalling 24 contracts.

That seems pretty hardcore, especially if they are going to require the best coin to play competitive. Hopefully they will give some leeway and offer more contracts near the end

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Jusupov posted:

Thanks square dance taunt

I've been getting this with my unusual too, though mine's got the massed flies effect so it's kind of amusing to just see flies buzzing around. My Soldier is truly the stinkiest.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That seems pretty hardcore, especially if they are going to require the best coin to play competitive. Hopefully they will give some leeway and offer more contracts near the end

It's not even like getting the bonus objective means you're skilled. It just means you could be bothered to find a bunch of engineers to kill as a spy.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

A friend of mine wrote her dissertation on the art of TF2. She is considering burning it.

Id watch a video of that

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

pisshead posted:

Well, did everyone enjoy your 5 minutes of contracts for £4?
I find it depressing and hilarious seeing how many suckers actually pay for stuff like this every time I hit tab.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sanctum posted:

I find it depressing and hilarious seeing how many suckers actually pay for stuff like this every time I hit tab.

Given how much I play tf2 I think I should pay them some thing back. I haven't bought it yet but I will.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sanctum posted:

Eh, it gives direction, cosmetics, and the price really isn't that bad seeing that you have a chance to get good skins compared to getting another rat-bastard Strange Short Circuit for the price of a key.

That isn't even including if they use it as a gateway to entering competitive, although I doubt that it will be the only way seeing that it would lock anyone out of signing up after september.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zero! posted:

Kritz is a lot more viable now in pubs and competitive with the ability to pick up weapons. If you can catch an enemy medic running stock with your kritz before they can uber, you get the element of surprise without the risk of having to stay running the Kritzkrieg until you die or hit up a resupply cabinet (ineffective against sentries, teams that are prepared for the kritz, etc). Other weapons have become similarly more viable since you can usually swap them out in the middle of battle after getting a couple of "surprise" kills.

I've had some success using the Liberty Launcher to get into position and roam for a bit, then once I need to defend a point, I take a regular rocket launcher or a black box off a fallen enemy Soldier. I really love that extra rocket + the reduced self damage on the Liberty Launcher, but its no good for actually holding a place, so being able to pick up a better rocket launcher is a major benefit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Slime posted:

It's not even like getting the bonus objective means you're skilled. It just means you could be bothered to find a bunch of engineers to kill as a spy.

Or went to an empty server with your friends :ssh:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Or went to an empty server with your friends :ssh:

It only works on Valve servers though

I guess you could still find an empty valve server...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Given how much time I've spent playing TF2 over the years I don't mind a little bit of my steam wallet money going to an impetus to actually play again

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
I don't know if it was intentional or some stupid bug, but arrows no longer hurt buildings. Crusader's Crossbow and Huntsman projectiles disappear when hitting buildings.

This update restored one of my favorite old bugs where I see my unusual effects on the people that I spectate. The combinations can be fun and the unusual gibus are always the best.

I couldn't find a good gibus today, but here's a knifestorm gibus from a long time ago.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

6 bucks to get a slew of fancy-ish drops really isn't much considering that i can make more than that just by taking my breaks at work for a single day

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jusupov posted:

Thanks square dance taunt

I hate this, HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF!!!!

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's $6 for three months, that's a pittance for what it gets you, and the tasks are weekly so you're only obligated to log on for a couple hours on a weekend of something. All in all a pretty good update.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So this means Valve is going to have to add new sets of weapon skins and maps every 3 months or so right? How often does CSGO do this thing?

I hope they open the Steam Workshop to weapon skins and stickers and stuff like CSGO, I'm sure the community can make better looking skins than Valve can.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I discovered today that my only gripe with the reskins is the fact there's one for the rocket launcher that, at a glance, looks like a rocket jumper.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm happy the contracts (so far) have been "Help your team you idiot" in nature. I'm really hoping they aren't gonna do like "Get 3 kills with unscoped shots as sniper in one life" or something that'll turn servers into a pile of poo poo

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 3, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Butt Detective posted:

I discovered today that my only gripe with the reskins is the fact there's one for the rocket launcher that, at a glance, looks like a rocket jumper.

People on reddit were complaining about the same, honestly the Rocket Jumper is such a garish and consistent color scheme that I haven't had much trouble telling it apart.

As for the other launchers, they look different enough that the complaints about confusing stock with the Liberty Launcher are somewhat unfounded.

e.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I happy the contracts (so far) have been "Help your team you idiot" in nature. I'm really hoping they aren't gonna do like "Get 3 kills with unscoped shots as sniper in one life" or something that'll turn servers into a pile of poo poo

The main ones aren't bad, but the ones you need for bonus can be a bit silly. My pyro contract had me getting environmental kills, which isn't that hard if you know what you're doing (just play on Upward ya dork) but I can see someone having issues with it and causing no end of grief. We'll see how they turn out in the future.

Sniper and spy contracts are going to be a pain, god help us.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 3, 2015

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

flatluigi posted:

Given how much time I've spent playing TF2 over the years I don't mind a little bit of my steam wallet money going to an impetus to actually play again
I'd say this is circular reasoning, but I think you already know that.

As zoolooman said, humans are notoriously bad at valuing microtransactions. What I always wonder is how people who spend $500+ on hat stuff reconcile with this. "I play the game a lot, so I get value out of having these cosmetic items that make me stand out." :confused: Ultimately players will only take note of you if you are better than them. No one is lining up for a signed rocket launcher from [hat baron]

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

For some people it's just about enjoying how your characters look. 99% of the time nobody cares about anyone else's cosmetic loadouts, but it's fun to have my medic with crazy green hair and a Hawaiian shirt look different from some other guy's medic with a metal chest plate and a WW2 helm. I don't need other people to care because I already appreciate it myself.

It's fun to be unique!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sanctum posted:

As zoolooman said, humans are notoriously bad at valuing microtransactions. What I always wonder is how people who spend $500+ on hat stuff reconcile with this. "I play the game a lot, so I get value out of having these cosmetic items that make me stand out." :confused: Ultimately players will only take note of you if you are better than them. No one is lining up for a signed rocket launcher from [hat baron]

Id hazard a guess that the people who do this are rich enough to not care or play the market game enough that they can burn their steam fun bucks on whatever without spending much, if any, actual cash.

Probably the latter as playing the market game can be fairly profitable. I got killing floor 2 plus a bunch of strange guns after a couple of weeks and 2 bucks in mvm tickets.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kelp Plankton posted:

So this means Valve is going to have to add new sets of weapon skins and maps every 3 months or so right? How often does CSGO do this thing?
CS:GO operations are never on a set schedule. They shortest wait time was 17 days between operations and the longest was nearly two months.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can I buy a second token for twice the quests?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can I buy a second token for twice the quests?

You can buy a second ticket, but it will be absolutely useless because you can't have two coins active at once

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sanctum posted:

Why even do anything? Why not just kill yourself? I don't know man. *sips beer* I just don't know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Microtransactions are pretty loving stupid

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I spent $8 (or whatever it is in $:canada: ) And am happy my game has transitioned from "shoot mans" to "shoot THESE mans"

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Number of contracts is way too low, we know anything but field tested and factory new will be 3 cents on the market if csgo is anything to go by.

Two contracts a week of x grade guaranteed, with additional being capable of anything but usually the shittiest grade would be rad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sanctum posted:

I have nothing to cite, but I've seen Studies that say that the majority of the profit that F2P games get comes from so-called whales that have more money than sense and end up buying ridiculous amounts of stuff off the in-game store.

So your average joe isn't going to spend much but then you have Mr. Moneybanks that ends up buying thousands of hats for cash.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7KkdINnN_8

the box works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So question about Gun Mettle. Do the contract classes affect what weapon you get? And how exactly does the civilian-elite and factory new-battle tested scale work?

I managed to hawk two guns for 10 bucks when I paid 7.50 for the pass so hey, good update to me.

• Locked thread