Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Broose posted:

I unironically want Moira Brown to return. I also look forward to a fallout 3+ world map. New Vegas was nice and all, but there really isn't much there. Fallout 3 had a ton of stuff to explore on the surface, then you also had the subway and sewer systems which are not all that bad now that I am replaying it. I'm not getting lost and it breaks up the DC rubble. I also had a lot more fun exploring and scrounging in F3. Looking for nuka quantums, scrap metals, railgun and rock-it parts, sugar bombs, blood packs, pre-war books, bobble heads, (greater number of) skill books, etc. Only things I really miss from NV are the food recipes, and those sweet unqiue varmint and sniper rifles. I don't particularly care if the writing isn't all that great cause I'm content with exploring and scrounging while filling out my quest completed list.

I look forward to the Monster Brew.

Also hit squads need to get axed. They are a pain in the rear end and break the difficulty curve once they are dead cause now you got good armor and weapons worth a whole lotta caps. gently caress you Talon company, just cause I'm not a complete dick to everyone I meet means you gotta get in the way every five or so fast travels? Karma system is also kinda dumb in F3. I have to work on getting negative karma just cause I'm not killing captives or telling people to go gently caress themselves.

Going back to the Nipton meeting with that Caesar legion guy: There is a house with a 40mm grenade launcher and ammo inside it. That group has never left Nipton in one piece.

edit: and hopefully they do something about every enemy being either a giant rad scorp, sentry bot, or mutant overlord. Worst part of the game by far, those high level enemies that are just bullet sponges. Brutes and Masters are really enough. My skills can't go past 100 damnit.

Honestly, between the railgun and the Lincoln repeater, I think I liked the weapons in Fallout 3 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

Honestly, between the railgun and the Lincoln repeater, I think I liked the weapons in Fallout 3 more.

I actually agree. I love New Vegas but it made a lot of the cool Fallout 3 gun really lame. They never ported any of the alien weapons, they took away the Tesla Cannons AOE, and they took out the stun effect from the Gauss Rifle. Nerfed pretty much all of my favorite guns :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
But there were like a thousand new weapons

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Back Hack posted:

The Family returns. :suicide:

I was actually thinking about this last night. In Fallout 4, you accept some menial quest to retrieve a MacGuffin from a small, remote village. When you arrive, you discover that the village has been attacked; buildings are defaced with graffiti like "WOLVES!" and "WOLVES R #1". At the behest of the villagers, you track down the culprits: A pack of angsty youths who believe they are "werewolves" because they wear stray dog tails and make barking noises. In between hurling insults at you and howling about the pain of existence, you learn that the "wolves" are a miserable group of people who have found their turf threatened by a gang of fools who think they're vampires.

Now, despite the villagers imploring you to do so, you can't actually kill the werewolves. They're kids and are therefore invulnerable. So instead, you have to flatter the kids into letting you help them with their problem.

This gets you sent to confront the vampire clan which, as it turns out, is the same goddamn vampire clan from Fallout 3. "Got tired of everything being green," one of the members explains, practically following it up with, "because everything was green in Fallout 3."

After that, it's three or four trips between the two lairs, carrying notes and listening to each clan leader talk at great length about the "rich history" of their respective people. "Werewolves were one of the first creatures to walk the earth," the leader says wistfully. "Before even man."

"If we weren't vampires, then how can we drink blood? How come the sun hurts our skin?"

Eventually you strike up an agreement that involves the clans molesting a pack of mutually owned brahmin (instead of townsfolk); nothing is legitimately resolved, despite the game trying to tell you otherwise. The townsfolk continue to talk like the "werewolves" are still plaguing them, the graffiti remains, and a Morrissey audio tape is stuck in your inventory for the rest of the game.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 3, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm cool with this if the werewolves give me an weapon schematic for an awesome sword :colbert:

frajaq fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 3, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Broose posted:

I unironically want Moira Brown to return. I also look forward to a fallout 3+ world map. New Vegas was nice and all, but there really isn't much there. Fallout 3 had a ton of stuff to explore on the surface, then you also had the subway and sewer systems which are not all that bad now that I am replaying it. I'm not getting lost and it breaks up the DC rubble. I also had a lot more fun exploring and scrounging in F3. Looking for nuka quantums, scrap metals, railgun and rock-it parts, sugar bombs, blood packs, pre-war books, bobble heads, (greater number of) skill books, etc. Only things I really miss from NV are the food recipes, and those sweet unqiue varmint and sniper rifles. I don't particularly care if the writing isn't all that great cause I'm content with exploring and scrounging while filling out my quest completed list.

Oh my God.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Oh my God...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A bunch of identical steam tunnels with gently caress-epic loot, like baubles I can trade for 15 caps a piece. That's what I'm talking about. And if I can get some sick weapons with really deece memes attached? All the better.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I actually agree. I love New Vegas but it made a lot of the cool Fallout 3 gun really lame. They never ported any of the alien weapons, they took away the Tesla Cannons AOE, and they took out the stun effect from the Gauss Rifle. Nerfed pretty much all of my favorite guns :(

The alien gun was in New Vegas.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Didn't you had to use a dumb trait to get it tho?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

frajaq posted:

Didn't you had to use a dumb trait to get it tho?

You had to use the cool and good Wild Wasteland trait to get it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

UP AND ADAM posted:

That's why I don't mind that must :shrug:

marktheando posted:

The alien gun was in New Vegas.

Yeah, one alien gun. Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta added like half a dozen alien weapons, none of which ended up in New Vegas. Cryo Mines are cool :(

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

The only unique thing in those guns are how you reload them.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Oh my God.

Oh my God...

What, you've never pinned a deathclaws head to a post?

Also, I'm aware the cowboy repeater is basically the Lincoln repeater, but I'm pretty sure the Lincoln model was among the strongest small guns in Fallout 3.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NofrikinfuN posted:

If you didn't rock This Machine and A Light Shining in Darkness, you're probably a bad person.

Although I grant you that strolling through the DC wasteland dressed as Lincoln and shooting that repeater was pretty drat good.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm replaying fallout 3 and I'm enjoying it more than NV.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, one alien gun. Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta added like half a dozen alien weapons, none of which ended up in New Vegas. Cryo Mines are cool :(

How are people still whining about this when Tale of Two Wastelands exists and you shouldn't play Fallout 3 or New Vegas without it these days.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

How are people still whining about this when Tale of Two Wastelands exists and you shouldn't play Fallout 3 or New Vegas without it these days.

Because I play it on PS3 and have a poo poo-tier computer?

Deep down that is the true reason I complain about Fallout 4, I want it to fail. As it stands now I have zero interest in next-gen, but if Fallout 4 is awesome that means I'm going to have to buy some expensive hardware :( If Fallout 4 is crappy I can be content playing my extensive backlog of PS3 games in peace.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just want to say hats off to the monster brew guy for actually making it a thing

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Does it actually work?

Why can't I just use Fallout 3 and mod the poo poo out of it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

just want to say hats off to the monster brew guy for actually making it a thing

yeah, always have to stop and read his posts inbetween scrolling through pages.

How much more of the game can we expect to see before release? Some? None?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Deep down that is the true reason I complain about Fallout 4, I want it to fail. As it stands now I have zero interest in next-gen, but if Fallout 4 is awesome that means I'm going to have to buy some expensive hardware :( If Fallout 4 is crappy I can be content playing my extensive backlog of PS3 games in peace.

:frogout:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frankston posted:

I'm replaying fallout 3 and I'm enjoying it more than NV.

I'm replaying too and I would like this game a lot more if there weren't these random robots just waiting for you. Most of the mobs in New Vegas at least had some sort of point behind them (even if it was just "mob of raiders/bugs/etc").

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

Also, I'm aware the cowboy repeater is basically the Lincoln repeater, but I'm pretty sure the Lincoln model was among the strongest small guns in Fallout 3.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Fallout 3 weapons were basically done in tiers. You start with a 10mm pistol (enemies start with Chinese pistols and .32 revolvers, which are inferior to yours and just vendor trash), which is then upgraded to a .44 Magnum and/or energy weapons. Hunting rifles get replaced by sniper rifles. Assault rifles get replaced by Chinese assault rifles, which then get replaced by stuff like the Infiltrator and other unique guns. You just keep climbing the ladder, and the Mothership Zeta alien guns are basically at the top of the heap.

New Vegas is balanced much differently. The introduction of weapon mods, Damage Threshold, and new ammo types means that it's now possible for virtually every weapon to have some kind of utility all the way to the end of the game. It's completely possible for the Cowboy Repeater you picked up at level 2 to be a constant companion all the way to fighting at the Hoover Dam depending on how you modify it and what ammo you load it with. Outside of the crappiest melee, there's really no "junk guns" like Fallout 3 had that are so useless that you sell them without ever pulling the trigger.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Need some goonvice. Should i play fallout 4 when it comes out, or should i put my nuts up on a dresser, just the nuts, and then bang them shits with a spiked bat like POW

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Varmint Rifle fully tricked out owned until end of game. Silenced sniper rifle that shoots cheap ammo and can headshot at draw distance (if you know where to aim because the crosshairs are slightly off)? Yes please.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Need some goonvice. Should i play fallout 4 when it comes out, or should i put my nuts up on a dresser, just the nuts, and then bang them shits with a spiked bat like POW

Just slam them in the top drawer, wouldn't want to have to repair that bat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Walking around Boston with a pressure cooker in game

Anyone kept a count on this joke? I lost track after about 10. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I also enjoy Cream of Plenty's posts, and I can proudly claim to be the first person to joining the Monster Brew Crew.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
All this talk of weapons in the Fallout series and nobody mentions the coolest gun you'll ever own.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Holy poo poo people defending the weapons in Fallout 3, there are literally five unarmed weapons in the entire game including all four DLCs. There are two shotguns. There is one sniper rifle called 'Sniper Rifle.' The Big Guns category may as well have not existed, and the most varied weapons available are melee weapons, all of which are worthless after about Level 5.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are about even when it comes to weapons because one of the guns in Fallout 3 says 'Lincoln' on the menu screen. But overall, New Vegas is clearly better, yeah. It has a lot more memes, contrary to popular belief, and even a button you can push at the start for extra memes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Holy poo poo people defending the weapons in Fallout 3, there are literally five unarmed weapons in the entire game including all four DLCs. There are two shotguns. There is one sniper rifle called 'Sniper Rifle.' The Big Guns category may as well have not existed, and the most varied weapons available are melee weapons, all of which are worthless after about Level 5.

Yeah but all you ever needed was the Hunting Rifle and Lincoln's Repeater so it was alright

FO3 is the reason I never go into energy weapons in FO games, though OWB I think finally broke me of that habit

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfsheim posted:

Please don't misrepresent the weapons, there are also unique versions of each one with an identical appearance but a funny name.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

marktheando posted:

You had to use the cool and good Wild Wasteland trait to get it.

Wild Wasteland also got you the YCS gun.

Cavauro posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are about even when it comes to weapons because one of the guns in Fallout 3 says 'Lincoln' on the menu screen. But overall, New Vegas is clearly better, yeah. It has a lot more memes, contrary to popular belief, and even a button you can push at the start for extra memes.

Imagine four memes on the edge of a cliff. What other ones were there?

2house2fly posted:

Please don't misrepresent the weapons, there are also unique versions of each one with an identical appearance but a funny name.

This is probably the biggest disappointment to me, same problem with skyrim. It really bums me out when I go through the effort of stealing a fancy sword or gun from a fancy man or woman and it's got a fancy name. But it looks like every other crappy sword or gun I have.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

But they took out the Rock-It-Launcher, why does Obsidian hate fun? :(

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bholder posted:

The only unique thing in those guns are how you reload them.

If you didn't like the Ballistic Fist, the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha, Lucky, or the Anti-Materiel Rifle, you can get out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I also enjoy Cream of Plenty's posts, and I can proudly claim to be the first person to joining the Monster Brew Crew.

I was the first and will fight anyone IRL. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was the first and will fight anyone IRL. :colbert:

It was me. Draw your weapons, ghoul.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rutibex posted:

you could probably build a pc that'll run fo4 on medium/high for under a grand by the time it releases

it doesn't look like it'll be that much more intensive than skyrim, so you could probably use that as a baseline

i mean yeah it means purchasing some new hardware, but it shouldn't be bank-breaking or need to be cutting edge top of the line components

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Miss launcher best gun.

*doonk*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

sout posted:

Started playing Mass Effect for the first time (it is 2015.)
Turns out I can deal with that style of conversation system, but I guess I can see how it's worse for roleplaying.

Play Dragon Age: Origins and then play Dragon Age 2 and tell me if you like your Warden or Hawke better.

• Locked thread