Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

holy poo poo

He can't wait to antertayne you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You guys should talk 100% less about comic book movies and 100% more about Wet Hot American Summer.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I like to smear mud on my rear end

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I like to smear mud on my rear end

What did you say?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

BSam posted:

What did you say?

Gotta check on my bud. In class

See his grades.... not doing so good.

LEAVE ME ALONE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

You guys should talk 100% less about comic book movies and 100% more about Wet Hot American Summer.

Finally we will find out how H Jon Benjamin becomes that can of talking vegetables!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

holy poo poo

Marvel is about to kick up the 4d3d3d3.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Just got done watching Season 1 of The Americans. I felt like it has been a fairly good show so far. Funny as it may sound, I really enjoyed the old lovely soviet spy tech since it's stuff that I've actually studied in university too. Hell, I was actually impressed by how accurately they portrayed a lot of said 80's soviet spy gizmos. But overall, I just really love espionage plotting in general and this show does it really REALLY well.

That being said, what made it a fairly good show so far rather than being an excellent show is some bafflingly stupid writing decisions. The show felt like it was grinding to a drat halt at times because this agent was secretly loving this person and that agent was loving this person and it was putting a strain on their relationship and we really need to add more pointless contention for their interpersonal relationships. And sometimes the people the agents are loving to get information from are so unbelievably dense (Martha) I want to stop watching it all together.

Is it worth continuing after the first season? I definitely want to give it a chance, but I ask because I got stories about how Dexter sucked me into an endless black hole and I don't want a repeat of that.

Also, what are some other good espionage shows out there?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand The Americans improves a lot every season.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Contra Calculus posted:

Also, what are some other good espionage shows out there?

Deutschland 83, Agent Carter, Homeland, The Game (BBC), Nikita

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Contra Calculus posted:

Is it worth continuing after the first season? I definitely want to give it a chance, but I ask because I got stories about how Dexter sucked me into an endless black hole and I don't want a repeat of that.

You should keep watching it. Season 2 was fantastic. Season 3 was the weakest imo. It was really really slow and outside of a few scenes, wasn't that good.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Deutschland 83 is a thing people know about? Well, gently caress me. I just moved to Germany and when I saw it in a list of recommendations for me, I thought it was just one of those hundreds of German shows I can't make heads or tales of because I don't speak the language fully yet.

Hell yeah I want to watch a show based on the GDR.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like I should keep at it with The Americans too then.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Contra Calculus posted:

I actually liked Season 3 much more than 2, but everything so far is worth watching.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Contra Calculus posted:

Deutschland 83 is a thing people know about? Well, gently caress me. I just moved to Germany and when I saw it in a list of recommendations for me, I thought it was just one of those hundreds of German shows I can't make heads or tales of because I don't speak the language fully yet.

Hell yeah I want to watch a show based on the GDR.

It's fully subtitled on the Sundance Channel.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The Americans has espionage, but it's not actually really about espionage. That might explain why some people were displeased with season 3 even though it's the strongest the show has ever been.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna say I was pretty sure s3 being the best is by far the consensus

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bown posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I was pretty sure s3 being the best is by far the consensus

The Americans started as interesting gimmick and every season has defied expectations and gotten better. Season 3 was intense and gripping in ways almost no other drama shows have achieved.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently AV Club no longer feel the need to bother with proofreading. The latest Hannibal review is a mess. I can't believe a professional writer can mix up threw/through.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Eh, one person mixing up homonyms while typing and an editor missing it on a read-through is pretty plausible. For something with a limited timeframe like a review of a TV episode I'd find it to be an acceptable error. If there were a lot of other mistakes and that was just an example then yeah, that's bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There were a lot of other mistakes and that was just an example.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

The Americans has espionage, but it's not actually really about espionage. That might explain why some people were displeased with season 3 even though it's the strongest the show has ever been.

For real, season 3 owned. The specific complaint about Martha is very much addressed too.

Contra Calculus posted:

Yes, yes you should. Also watch season 1 of Homeland, maybe season 2, it quickly devolves into being 24 and someone recently recommended Strike Back to me which is a way better 24 than 24 ever was because it skips all the bullshit and gets straight to the crazy conspiracy shootmans.

PS I got your message; I'm just being a lazy poo poo today.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_%26_Thyme

This was an actual TV show. The episode descriptions are amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_%26_Thyme

This was an actual TV show. The episode descriptions are amazing.

Based on my brief time working at a thrift store there are a ton of crappy murder mystery series built around the most inane gimmicks imaginable. A show about gardening-based murder mysteries is incredible but I don't think anything has ever topped John J. Lamb's empire of teddy bear-themed murder mysteries.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Some of the older female librarians I work with said they were mystery lovers, so I strongly recommended my favorite mystery writer, James Ellroy. Two of them came back to me after trying his books, and they said they had never been so repulsed!

It turns out they only read "cozy mysteries" like those.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Some of the older female librarians I work with said they were mystery lovers, so I strongly recommended my favorite mystery writer, James Ellroy. Two of them came back to me after trying his books, and they said they had never been so repulsed!

It turns out they only read "cozy mysteries" like those.

That's a shame because the Big Nowhere and L.A. Confidential are some of my favorite books ever. I can't imagine anyone who could out and out dislike those.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried to read LA Confidential after seeing the movie and it's written in a really irritating way. I can see people not liking the books.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

IRQ posted:

PS I got your message; I'm just being a lazy poo poo today.

No worries, take your time. Also yeah, I'm going to start Homeland too. I've also already seen Strike Back though and it does indeed own bones.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried to read LA Confidential after seeing the movie and it's written in a really irritating way. I can see people not liking the books.

Oh, yeah, Ellroy's writing style is really loving terse and weirdly structured so that could turn some people off, that's true. I had the same adverse reaction to Cormac McCarthy when I read No Country for Old Men years and years ago, but it wound up being one of my favorite books. Same with Blood Meridian.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I agree with the posters who said the third season of The Americans was the best, with the caveat that it felt the least cohesive as a whole. There's definitely some significant payoff at the end of the season, but a lot of balls were left hanging in the air.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Contra Calculus posted:

That being said, what made it a fairly good show so far rather than being an excellent show is some bafflingly stupid writing decisions. The show felt like it was grinding to a drat halt at times because this agent was secretly loving this person and that agent was loving this person and it was putting a strain on their relationship and we really need to add more pointless contention for their interpersonal relationships. And sometimes the people the agents are loving to get information from are so unbelievably dense (Martha) I want to stop watching it all together.

The biggest (pretty much only real) complaint with The Americans S1 was how, for a long period, each episode ended with their relationship status flip-flopping to the opposite place to where it was when the episode began, due to whatever (mostly bullshit) drama. The second season has none of this, so you should definitely keep watching.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah that was getting old mid-to-late season and I'm glad to know they got back on track. I don't really have any other complaints that aren't superficial other than what I already said anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Americans definitely gets better every season. There are people who didn't like season 3, and those people are on my list.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Since Netflix's Wet Hot American Summer is a prequel series, I don't have to watch the movie first to understand what's going on, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably not but I assume there'll be all sorts of jokes that'll be funnier if you know what happens later. Also it's a funny movie although I personally don't think it's one of the funniest ever like a few of my friends.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
YO! It be THE TWILIGHT ZONE MARATHON ON SYFY ALL DAY TODAY!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not complaining, but does SyFy just do a Twilight Zone marathon on every government holiday now?

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

precision posted:

I'm not complaining, but does SyFy just do a Twilight Zone marathon on every government holiday now?

Just this and New Years. I want the whole channel to be Zone erryday.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The third season of the Americans very much felt like the first part of a 26-episode season. There's a lot of poo poo going on and a ton of setup but instead of a break of a few months we've got a whole year to wait. I don't think this is a bad thing at all to be honest, some of the episodes we got this year were the best they've ever done. Phillip's arc in particular is amazing (and in many senses sickening) to watch since you see him slowly degrade and sink into a vortex of depression and self-hatred for the poo poo the KGB is making him do .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They showed a few glimpses of his sex training and that was disturbing as hell.

• Locked thread