Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gunslinger posted:

The icons on the taskbar were 52px in 8.1 and are down to 32px now. The taskbar itself looks smaller as well. You can compare the two on google image search, I'm at work and can't put together something at the moment. It's not the end of the world but there is a large amount of blank space around the icons which makes the whole thing pointless. Also the start menu looks kind of silly with win32 apps having massive boxes with tiny icons inside.

Anyways its not the end of the world but I can already see my first question from users over 40 is going to be "how do I make everything bigger?". I'm dreading doing the DPI scaling thing because it blows everything else up too.

Oh, I thought you meant they've reduced the size during the Insider Preview rather than compared to 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, only Insiders will see Win10 on the 29th, everyone else will have to wait an unspecified amount of time as they send it out in saves. Business Customers have to wait until the 1st of August.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/02/windows-10-preparing-to-upgrade-one-billion-devices/

I wonder if that means only people actually currently using Windows 10, or people who have signed up for insider and used windows 10 in the past also.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I installed 10162 there, then did a Reset install to see if it cleared up one or two minor issues.

It reset no problem, but now the install won't activate. The product key for 10130 doesn't work. Any ideas how I can activate this thing?

Edit: http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-build-10162-iso/

I used the key from that and it activated.

Couple of minor annoyances I've noticed. In some text fields in forms, the cursor doesn't automatically select the text box you have to type into. Also, hitting return when I've been entering passwords in certain instances does nothing.

For example: on setting up Windows on initial install and entering in my email address and password. Another example is adding a new account to Mail - you have to click into the text box manually, then tab down to, or click, Sign in.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 3, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
10162 is on Windows update now

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well I am now greeted by Cortana with Hello, My name. The @{winstore thing is still their in all apps. VPN works

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I wonder if that means only people actually currently using Windows 10, or people who have signed up for insider and used windows 10 in the past also.

Yeah, I'm also kind of confused by this. I reserved my copy on my Windows 8.1 install and have since nuked this hard drive and have been running the Fast Ring IP builds as my primary OS. I seem to remember typing an e-mail in during the reservation process. Does this mean I'll be able to convert my IP build into the day 1 retail build when it officially launches?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

pissdude posted:

Yeah, I'm also kind of confused by this. I reserved my copy on my Windows 8.1 install and have since nuked this hard drive and have been running the Fast Ring IP builds as my primary OS. I seem to remember typing an e-mail in during the reservation process. Does this mean I'll be able to convert my IP build into the day 1 retail build when it officially launches?

quote:

Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders.

I read it as if you are a registered Windows Insider and I assume activated it then you will get the RTM on the 29th. They are probably using "we will start rolling out" language to distinguish between people on the fast ring versus those on the slow ring as to how close to the 29th you get it or who gets it first on the 29th. It seems from earlier blog posts that if you want to leave the insider program you may have to wait for after the 29th to get the RTM individual key but if you stay in Insider you will get it the 29th. I seems to me the insider key will update the fastest to 10 RTM then later the reserved keys will be able to update. Where with the latter you will have to roll back to 8.1 and then upgrade to 10.

So if you want to get RTM on the 29th stay in the insider program and in the fast ring then when you get your individual key from your reservation revert back to 8.1 then upgrade to 10. Then once the reservation key is activated you can wipe and do a clean install of Windows 10 if you want.

Or I could be completely wrong because MS needs to hire better people who have people skills and can convey information clearly to write their blog posts.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 3, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lowtechs posted:

Or I could be completely wrong because MS needs to hire better people who have people skills and can convey information clearly to write their blog posts.

Every time they detail future plans for this poo poo it's completely unclear.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lowtechs posted:

Windows 10 will be available sometime! You may have a license for some version of it, possibly! We're very excited to bring you this version that's 2 versions better than Windows 8! Windows Store! Apps! SkyDrive OneDrive! BING!

I really want to like Windows 10 but it wouldn't hurt for them to nail down how the release is going to happen. It feels like they just started working on it 6 months ago and aren't sure what to do with it yet so their press department kind of spews out some word salad now and then as it gets closer to release.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Windows 10 will be available sometime! You may have a license for some version of it, possibly! We're very excited to bring you this version that's 2 versions better than Windows 8! Windows Store! Apps! SkyDrive OneDrive! BING!

I really want to like Windows 10 but it wouldn't hurt for them to nail down how the release is going to happen. It feels like they just started working on it 6 months ago and aren't sure what to do with it yet so their press department kind of spews out some word salad now and then as it gets closer to release.

I just really wish I could take my valid Win7 key and plug it into a website to get a Win10 key. I've followed every fix to try to get that stupid icon in my taskbar (I have all the updates, changed registry entries, used a program from the MS support forums to verify that I have all updates and should be getting the icon, blah blah blah). Still can't get the icon on my home PC or my laptop (gave up on my work PC because it's on a domain).

I have a new SSD coming and I really just want to install 10 on it rather than trying to image my 7 install over.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

redeyes posted:

I know but it would be real nice to get the functionality that XP and OSX has. Namely, Reinstall OS, keep files and apps.

Hopefully the movement to appx will help with this, since it will supposedly makes apps self-contained with their own registry hive and whatnot.

Twotone
Feb 3, 2004

Rudeboy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

By fails to print do you mean there's a header and footer but no content, stuck in the queue, or no print job generated at all?

No print job created. It crashes the browsers in the print preview windows every time. I can PM you screenshots if you would like.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

redeyes posted:

Doing the exact wrong thing, REMOVING ALL THE loving APPS.

It backs them all up, they just don't tell you that (although I'm sure most people who know enough to do a refresh would notice eventually, cuz of all the missing harddrive space.)

You can make like a custom refresh point too with whatever you want installed, although it's not an intuitive thing (gotta do it through a command prompt I think) and I don't think most people would know how to or think to do it. But the options still there.

I do wish they gave you the option though to do a refresh but just preserve everything installed though. Earlier on in the beta I had to do it a couple times and it sucked knowing the problem wasn't caused by any installed program, just some other parts of windows being broken (start menu, if I remember right) but the only option is to redo the whole thing. Like some kind of selective refresh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

10162 ISOs are up for slow ring testers:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-download

Product key: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV

Is there any indication that on 29th July, we'll just be able to get product keys manually and do our own upgrades/fresh installs for people not in the Insider program? I can understand Microsoft rolling out the Windows Update upgrades to 10, but for clean installs from ISOs, surely they won't prevent this.

The Windows 8 general availability was straightforward - buy the product keys and download the ISOs you needed from day one.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 3, 2015

Sickxoxo
Nov 11, 2012
Do the Win 8.1 (beta) AMD drivers work on the latest Win 10 build?
If it doesn't, where should I be looking?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm on 10158 and Windows Update has 10159 ready to install.

Is there any way to force it to go straight to 10162 without installing 10159 first?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any indication that on 29th July, we'll just be able to get product keys manually and do our own upgrades/fresh installs for people not in the Insider program? I can understand Microsoft rolling out the Windows Update upgrades to 10, but for clean installs from ISOs, surely they won't prevent this.

The Windows 8 general availability was straightforward - buy the product keys and download the ISOs you needed from day one.

I think some departments at MS can't reconcile the term free update so who knows wheeeeee!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

It backs them all up, they just don't tell you that (although I'm sure most people who know enough to do a refresh would notice eventually, cuz of all the missing harddrive space.)

You can make like a custom refresh point too with whatever you want installed, although it's not an intuitive thing (gotta do it through a command prompt I think) and I don't think most people would know how to or think to do it. But the options still there.

I do wish they gave you the option though to do a refresh but just preserve everything installed though. Earlier on in the beta I had to do it a couple times and it sucked knowing the problem wasn't caused by any installed program, just some other parts of windows being broken (start menu, if I remember right) but the only option is to redo the whole thing. Like some kind of selective refresh.

I have no idea what you mean. Can you be specific? 'Backs them all up'? To where? I do realize you can make a custom refresh image, which is at least something, but to be honest, I haven't used that feature to do a restore yet.. not sure how well it works.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Anyone else having problems activating 10162? Just keeps saying Windows cant activate, try again later.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Is there still going to be a feedback function in Win10 after RTM, or is that only for the prerelease builds?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Anyone else having problems activating 10162? Just keeps saying Windows cant activate, try again later.

A lot of people are having problems with that. I'm not sure if they're testing out activation specifically but the automated phone thing activated fine for me. Win + R, slui.exe 4 then just typed out everything, it gave me a new ID and it worked fine.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

A lot of people are having problems with that. I'm not sure if they're testing out activation specifically but the automated phone thing activated fine for me. Win + R, slui.exe 4 then just typed out everything, it gave me a new ID and it worked fine.

I upgraded to 10162 and it still says Windows is activated. I have the general Insider key.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Did you try using that key in my post up the page? It's different than the previous key for older builds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My 10162 also isn't activating, but apparently I can't use that key. Or, I can, but then I'd be changing from the Home Insider Preview edition to the Pro Insider Preview (or whatever they call it). But I'd likely have to downgrade again when the final is out, since I upgraded to the preview from a Win 8.1 Home license.

So yeah, that key doesn't go with Home licenses.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nielsm posted:

My 10162 also isn't activating, but apparently I can't use that key. Or, I can, but then I'd be changing from the Home Insider Preview edition to the Pro Insider Preview (or whatever they call it). But I'd likely have to downgrade again when the final is out, since I upgraded to the preview from a Win 8.1 Home license.

So yeah, that key doesn't go with Home licenses.

Any of those any use?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How will the activation work when Windows 10 final is released? I already registered for the upgrade for my two computers that have Windows 7 and 8.1. If I put the Win 10 technical preview today on the Win 7 machine, is MS going to just email me a registration key?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How will the activation work when Windows 10 final is released? I already registered for the upgrade for my two computers that have Windows 7 and 8.1. If I put the Win 10 technical preview today on the Win 7 machine, is MS going to just email me a registration key?

I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Papercut posted:

I just really wish I could take my valid Win7 key and plug it into a website to get a Win10 key. I've followed every fix to try to get that stupid icon in my taskbar (I have all the updates, changed registry entries, used a program from the MS support forums to verify that I have all updates and should be getting the icon, blah blah blah). Still can't get the icon on my home PC or my laptop (gave up on my work PC because it's on a domain).

I have a new SSD coming and I really just want to install 10 on it rather than trying to image my 7 install over.

Ahh balls, I'm in the same boat. Retired my old computer and built a new one and went directly to win 10.. Guess I'll have to power up my old computer to get the keys and then install win 8.1 on my new computer with the key :|

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

What is everyone doing for getting the ISO onto a USB key? My usual trick of dd'ing the ISO to a USB key on my Mac is not working.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

chutwig posted:

What is everyone doing for getting the ISO onto a USB key? My usual trick of dd'ing the ISO to a USB key on my Mac is not working.

Try Unetbootin.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Tried it as well, same deal. PC does not recognize the USB key as bootable.

Danith
May 20, 2006
Have you tried the media creation tool from Microsoft? I'm trying it out right now, but with my download speed, will be awhile

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=510815

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I used Rufus.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Danith posted:

Have you tried the media creation tool from Microsoft? I'm trying it out right now, but with my download speed, will be awhile

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=510815

I downloaded the ISO rather than upgrading in-place because my PC dual-boots between Linux and Windows, and in the course of trying to fix the Windows boot loader to get rid of GRUB, I completely killed it instead, and naturally I did so without having a recovery key already made.

Danith
May 20, 2006

chutwig posted:

I downloaded the ISO rather than upgrading in-place because my PC dual-boots between Linux and Windows, and in the course of trying to fix the Windows boot loader to get rid of GRUB, I completely killed it instead, and naturally I did so without having a recovery key already made.

From what I'm seeing, at least running from win 10, you choose which version you want, where you want to put it (CD or flash) and it downloads the file and puts it on the device you chose and makes it bootable (I hope).

I couldn't find any official sites that have 8.1 iso :|

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Danith posted:

I couldn't find any official sites that have 8.1 iso :|
Last I checked this was the way to get one: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Im disappointed that mouse pointer speed isn't in metro settings and I have to dig deep for it. Also can't forget wifi networks or re-enter wifi passwords from the sys tray wifi UI. Gotta dig deep into classic networking menus for that poo poo. These aren't uncommon tasks. I feel like there's a poo poo ton of common settings missing from metro settings and and poo poo ton of infrequently used settings in there. Does no one give a poo poo about this stuff?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

redeyes posted:

I have no idea what you mean. Can you be specific? 'Backs them all up'? To where? I do realize you can make a custom refresh image, which is at least something, but to be honest, I haven't used that feature to do a restore yet.. not sure how well it works.

If I'm remembering right, windows.old. It's not much of a backup, since you're gonna have to actually dig up the installers for tons of stuff anyway but it just moves program files, program files (x86) and some other folders over there instead of deleting them.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

chutwig posted:

Tried it as well, same deal. PC does not recognize the USB key as bootable.

If you can't get it to work, it may be the USB key. There were some that are literally unable to be used as boot disks, I know this because I have one. Basically, if it shows up as a Local Disk and not a Removable Disk, that's the problem. It's a firmware (and in some, a hardware) issue. Some drives can have a bit flipped to make it a 'removable' disk again, some can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Shaocaholica posted:

Im disappointed that mouse pointer speed isn't in metro settings and I have to dig deep for it. Also can't forget wifi networks or re-enter wifi passwords from the sys tray wifi UI. Gotta dig deep into classic networking menus for that poo poo. These aren't uncommon tasks. I feel like there's a poo poo ton of common settings missing from metro settings and and poo poo ton of infrequently used settings in there. Does no one give a poo poo about this stuff?

Those actually are pretty uncommon tasks for the majority...

But use the feedback tool. Let them know.

• Locked thread