Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
For those interested, I've recently been uploading some game-related music tracks to my Soundcloud.

Feel free to use a track if you think it's a fit for your game!

https://soundcloud.com/harold-krell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
To all of you sound/audio guys: fantastic work.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

I just wanted to have my character inherit the platform's speed....

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

toot toot

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Ultigonio posted:

I just wanted to have my character inherit the platform's speed....

looks correct to me.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Day 2 (3? This is what happens when you aren't on a proper sleep schedule) Progress:

Just got real basic room transitions going, need to do some kind of animation or fade effect now, have the walls dropping down when the player is behind them but Unity seems to have an issue when I set the material to transparent (faces clipping through each other) but I'm not sure which effect I like better. Been modifying the movement based on playing a little bit of Teleglitch, seems to feel a little more natural, though not sure if the shield should be facing the cursor or if it plays more to the gameplay to have to reverse yourself. Almost ready to start designing real dungeon rooms and puzzles!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm thinking of scrapping my game idea and make something else, I really don't know what though. :/

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!
I don't know which idea to go with, because I have two. Luckily the art assets for the environment are the same largely so I have been working on that. My two ideas are:

A puzzle game where the player character cannot solve the puzzles on their own and you have to switch characters to investigate clues. the critical omission was meant to be that no character has access to all the clues to solve the puzzles, but this feels kind of thin.

OR

A detective game where a detective is investigating a locked room mystery by gathering evidence and interrogating the suspects. However the detective cannot speak during the dialogue, only scream worldlessly. Might be funny, could be repetitive.

Natural Joe fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 3, 2015

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

TheOrange posted:

Day 2 (3? This is what happens when you aren't on a proper sleep schedule) Progress:

Just got real basic room transitions going, need to do some kind of animation or fade effect now, have the walls dropping down when the player is behind them but Unity seems to have an issue when I set the material to transparent (faces clipping through each other) but I'm not sure which effect I like better. Been modifying the movement based on playing a little bit of Teleglitch, seems to feel a little more natural, though not sure if the shield should be facing the cursor or if it plays more to the gameplay to have to reverse yourself. Almost ready to start designing real dungeon rooms and puzzles!

Looks cool. My non-advice is to play with both options and maybe leave it configurable. If your facing direction doesn't also control your view, then it seems like either orientation for the shield should be good

I have made no progress. Ended up fighting with libGDX/gradle for a bit and decided not to try to get all that sorted so I could work on my chromebook. Grabbed my CMake config stuff to get a project going using GLFW (not to be confused with GFWL) and my crouton install naturally didn't support OpenGL 3. So, rather than resort to OpenGL 2.1 which is supported in software mode by everything, I put chrubuntu on an sd card to get hardware acceleration back.
Don't expect much from me. I'm going to have to craft my own tools first because I'm too stubborn to use one of my x86-based computers.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Grappling Hook, Gun and Shotgun weapons for our ship. Top half has them in Primary Weapon slot, bottom half has them in Secondary Weapon slot. Not sold on colour just yet, but that`s easy enough to change!

Next up, background tiles and a couple baddies.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
drat fine pixel art, I have to say. Reminds me of X-Com.

e: I can't do art, which is a problem for my project, just wanted to tell you it looks nice. :)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

dog kisser posted:

weapons for our ship.

Dang that looks great!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I still don't have a single idea that A: Isn't over-scoped B: Isn't gimmicky and dumb C: Is actually a game or D: I give a gently caress about making.

Really don't like this theme.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Harold Krell posted:

For those interested, I've recently been uploading some game-related music tracks to my Soundcloud.

Feel free to use a track if you think it's a fit for your game!

https://soundcloud.com/harold-krell

I dig the first track, "Eye of the Storm." Going to consider it for E1M1.

I started experimenting with the rocket movement. They have to be fast enough to be interesting but slow enough to dance around to make them hit other targets.

From earlier today, behold! ROOKKEETUUU DRIFTUUU: http://gfycat.com/ComplicatedZanyBear

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 3, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

I still don't have a single idea that A: Isn't over-scoped B: Isn't gimmicky and dumb C: Is actually a game or D: I give a gently caress about making.

Then pick one of the other ones, your omission is you omitted the theme. :colbert:

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Due to animation issues (and that having a timeline system makes it a lot easier to tweak said animations) I've decided to go for adobe edge animate and make it in html. At least that also means folk can just play it online.

Anyone here tried using edge animate to make a game?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm absolutely in the same boat as you, so don't feel bad.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

That Gobbo posted:

I'm absolutely in the same boat as you, so don't feel bad.

As am I.

It's funny that I thought Games for Grandma was my least favourite theme but the only decent idea I came up with so far was for that, centred around puzzle game mechanics and stuff.

Also as a one person team, deciding to learn Unity/Blender was a horrible idea so I'm falling back onto Game Maker and 2D stuff, because at least then I'll have a chance of submitting something.

I was thinking of doing something heavily narrative which could be easier if I find a decent dialogue system. It would cut down on animation/art asset creation and stuff, but I'm not a writer by any means so who knows. When this started I thought of doing a narrative game with voice acting from voice actors who are reading their parts blind, but that's more gimmicky than interesting. Right now I'm leaning towards omitting themes/ideas from the story as opposed to the execution of telling the story. On the other hand most of my ideas have been covered in a myriad of ways through story "twists" and stuff. Like, this character is hallucinating/the motivation for this character was made-up/there are no good guys/you're actually the bad guy etc.

I wish I had some kind of system for coming up with ideas besides "sit here and think of game mechanics until I find something I can tweak interestingly".

Giggs fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 3, 2015

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Enos Shenk posted:

Yeah, I've got no idea where I'm going with my project but I was in a submarine mood and made this:

watch it spin in PSX-o-vision here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/share/spinning_sub_techdemo.rar

I'll probably just remove the critical something at the last minute rather than worrying about that bit right now :v:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I'm making a game about cars. I've never done anything with physics before, so I'm starting with some important tests to see how Goofy Car Physics might work.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Giggs posted:

I wish I had some kind of system for coming up with ideas besides "sit here and think of game mechanics until I find something I can tweak interestingly".

I've been writing out 'Omission of <verb> or <noun>' of stuff from games and thinking about how it could effect the resulting game.

Some examples I have written down (verbatim):
  • Omission of time; prankster game (clockstoppers!!!)
  • Omission of surprise; horror game that points out jumpscares ahead of time
  • Omission of lose state; hype up death like dark souls or it will delete your save, but you can never actually lose
  • Omission of body/identity; characters don't have faces or body parts; player has to draw them (dick faces every time)

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Two more hours of work, and things are turning out nicely

Not very fluent when gooncam is running, but gameplay is fine when not recording with gooncam.
500 cycles per frame needed, with 983 bytes used so far (unoptimized)

edit: And yeah, look at dem cars getting their sprites cut off at the end of screens without wrapping (not using superchip instructions). How sweet is that?!?

Buffis fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 3, 2015

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I figured out my stupid bug with momentum. I was basically adding the transform to itself (coordinate mismatch). I'm still not decided on whether I like the slow follow more than I like the drifty missile.

Drifty missile: http://gfycat.com/ComplicatedZanyBear

Slow turn/follow: http://gfycat.com/AnnualWillingIbadanmalimbe

Drifty looks better, but I think slow follow has less chances of just getting a massive swarm of missiles tangled together and following you. Hmm.

Gratuitous explosions: http://gfycat.com/SpitefulTerrificBigmouthbass

Jo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 3, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Day 3 I spent visiting my granny so this is all I did!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
I wanted to make a game using a grappling hook mechanic, so I went with the whole 'platformer but no floor!' thing, kind of. The idea is that you'll just have to swing your way through each level, shooting or collecting something and trying to reach the end of the level without hitting anything or falling to your death.

I'm also having fun with particles!

Obviously there is a floor in the gif, but I'll get rid of it soon enough! And I suppose I should render the 'rope' at some point too.

Also for anyone doing any 2d stuff in Unity, this character controller is pretty cool: https://github.com/prime31/CharacterController2D

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Enos Shenk posted:

I think it was probably the weakest of the three possible themes.

My group has an idea that is tangentially on theme - now we're deciding on the technology and getting an idea of how things will look. I expect we'll have something moving by next weekend.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

That Gobbo posted:

I've been writing out 'Omission of <verb> or <noun>' of stuff from games and thinking about how it could effect the resulting game.

• Omission of surprise; horror game that points out jumpscares ahead of time
  • Omission of lose state; hype up death like dark souls or it will delete your save, but you can never actually lose
  • Omission of body/identity; characters don't have faces or body parts; player has to draw them (dick faces every time)

So I saw this and gave it a try. My first few were along the lines of:
  • Omission of farts -> everybody explodes all the time
  • Omission of butts -> legs go all over the place
but then I wrote "omission of confidence" which has led me to a doable game that I think can actually be fun and I want you to know that I'm very grateful for your advice, Gobbo. My mood has escalated significantly, so thanks!

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Experimenting changing the camera perspective on the game, I think I like this view better.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

That Gobbo posted:

Or a turn-based game that you never have to end your turn on. You can still make enemies have passive abilities and properties to make things interesting.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Giggs posted:

So I saw this and gave it a try. My first few were along the lines of:
  • Omission of farts -> everybody explodes all the time
  • Omission of butts -> legs go all over the place
but then I wrote "omission of confidence" which has led me to a doable game that I think can actually be fun and I want you to know that I'm very grateful for your advice, Gobbo. My mood has escalated significantly, so thanks!

Cool! Glad my advice actually helped. Now to figure out what my game will be...

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

yes perfect

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Wheeeeeeeee

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Takanago posted:

Wheeeeeeeee

Winter driving in Chicago.gif

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Lining up shots (slowly)!

There are a billion changes and improvements, but the big ones are: scoring, combos, player death, player respawning, and lives. The player is invincible while boosting, so you can boost right through clouds of bullets. However, once the boost is over, you're immediately vulnerable, so you need to make sure you don't boost in a way that lands you right in a pile of bullets!

What was most unexpectedly tricky: keeping track of the number of balls that have been "chained" together. At first, each ball held a point value, and if it collided with another it would pass that value + 1. That seemed like it would work, but alas!! If the first ball (point value 1) hit a second ball (point value 2), and then the first ball bounced and hit ANOTHER ball, the first ball would still be at 1, while it should be 3. Eventually I scrapped this system entirely and now hold combo values in an array. What the balls pass to each other, rather than a point value, is the index value of the array that they should inherit and increment. Anyways, I'm thinking of calling the game Super Ballbuster.

edit: man!! Looking at that gif makes me realize that my combo bar is way too freaking big!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 4, 2015

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

A lot of people seem to be looking at "Critical Omission" only in a game mechanic sense, but you are absolutely allowed to use it in other ways. If you are having trouble with the theme feel free to take a look at it from different angles. I know that might not suddenly give everyone ideas, but a game that is fully featured but uses the theme in other ways is just as valid as removing a mechanic from a preexisting genre.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

"Critical O Mission" is something I've been pondering for a bit now. The one I had about the Challenger explosion might be a little distasteful.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

JossiRossi posted:

A lot of people seem to be looking at "Critical Omission" only in a game mechanic sense, but you are absolutely allowed to use it in other ways. If you are having trouble with the theme feel free to take a look at it from different angles. I know that might not suddenly give everyone ideas, but a game that is fully featured but uses the theme in other ways is just as valid as removing a mechanic from a preexisting genre.

Just a random thought for anyone thinking about an idea, but what if it's something external to how you normally play the game? I have memories of trying to play various Dreamcast games using the fishing pole controller for the second player.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

Lining up shots (slowly)!

There are a billion changes and improvements, but the big ones are: scoring, combos, player death, player respawning, and lives. The player is invincible while boosting, so you can boost right through clouds of bullets. However, once the boost is over, you're immediately vulnerable, so you need to make sure you don't boost in a way that lands you right in a pile of bullets!

What was most unexpectedly tricky: keeping track of the number of balls that have been "chained" together. At first, each ball held a point value, and if it collided with another it would pass that value + 1. That seemed like it would work, but alas!! If the first ball (point value 1) hit a second ball (point value 2), and then the first ball bounced and hit ANOTHER ball, the first ball would still be at 1, while it should be 3. Eventually I scrapped this system entirely and now hold combo values in an array. What the balls pass to each other, rather than a point value, is the index value of the array that they should inherit and increment. Anyways, I'm thinking of calling the game Super Ballbuster.

edit: man!! Looking at that gif makes me realize that my combo bar is way too freaking big!

I love the style of this.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mo_Steel posted:

I love the style of this.

Thanks, but the graphics are basically the only thing here that are purely placeholders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
rat.gif

• Locked thread