Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo so Lab 0 is making a metroidvania. Here's the announcement trailer.

The composer for Secret of Mana is doing the music for it and the story is based on Southeast Asian mythology. They're comparing it to Valkyrie Profile and Super Metroid.

Seems she transforms into some type of Asura(?)-type demonic form with a central third eye in her forehead, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PiedPiper posted:

An intelligent balding ginger man with inferiority slash superiory complex who hates Superman? Face it, Pat is basically Lex Luthor.

Except not as rich, successful, charismatic, or tall.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think Luthor is balder too.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Pat is actually the villain from the great (cancelled) comic book SuperMidget

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Stairmaster posted:

I'd sacrifice it for more time on the clock.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Aw man, I'm really sad Dawn Of Fate is hosed on XBox. I played it a bunch on PS2 and it never gave me trouble. It's actually pretty fun! You get a pretty decent arsenal of weapons by the end. And the music's not bad.
The explanation for the weird scrap Terminators is that the T-800/T-900s are end-game enemies. So at first you're fighting lovely junk T-100s with machine guns, which are the grunts like you mentioned, then later you see T-500s, which look less blocky and more human, and then you get the full endoskeleton style enemies in the last few levels. There's also a weird section of the game where you fight cyborg humans. Mostly the plot is "Get Kyle Reese to the time machine".
Also John Connor totally has the face scar, he just doesn't turn his face to fully face the camera in that intro.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 3, 2015

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

HGH posted:

Aw man, I'm really sad Dawn Of Fate is hosed on XBox.

That's likely because they're playing it on the 360 and the 360's backwards compatibility is proper hosed. It's the biggest reason why I'm not excited at all about the Xbone's BC.

Edit: v poo poo, shows how much attention I was paying while watching that last night.

Do not even ask fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Do not even ask posted:

That's likely because they're playing it on the 360 and the 360's backwards compatibility is proper hosed. It's the biggest reason why I'm not excited at all about the Xbone's BC.

They specifically said they were playing on an original XBox.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So between Zero Escape 3 being announced and Digimon World Cyber Sleuth being localized, Liam is at critical hype mass at this point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never thought it would happen

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
How did Ride to Hell turn out so... lame? It's a one-man-army revenge story set in the 60's, where drugs, sex, and violence take center stage. The main campaign should be one long bender of murder and loving, and I guess it technically is.

But all the murder and loving is so... lame. It's like what you would get if you asked that weird Christian home-schooled kid to write a story about bikers. Clothes-on sex, drugs in generic baggies, having bike races just because, the way Jake gingerly beats people up with ZERO impact, it's all so loving lame.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I would sacrifice terminator week on the altar of not having to hear pat talk about superman ever again

I would sacrifice superman for more time on the clock.

Pat continues to be totally right that superman is poo poo.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Tupperwarez posted:

How did Ride to Hell turn out so... lame? It's a one-man-army revenge story set in the 60's, where drugs, sex, and violence take center stage. The main campaign should be one long bender of murder and loving, and I guess it technically is.

But all the murder and loving is so... lame. It's like what you would get if you asked that weird Christian home-schooled kid to write a story about bikers. Clothes-on sex, drugs in generic baggies, having bike races just because, the way Jake gingerly beats people up with ZERO impact, it's all so loving lame.

It's pretty clear that very few shits were given by the developers.

Reminds me of a Michael Bay Tranformers film. All sound and lovely used CGI signifying nothing.

edit: Ashita no John Connor

DPM fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 3, 2015

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Beef Chief posted:

I completely agree because I love the poo poo out of D4 and am so happy I watched the Best Friends LP of it so I would bother to actually play it

I got it the other day and I felt bummed that I'd already experienced the "lunchtime with Kaysen" scenes.

Then I found out there were more.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tupperwarez posted:

Ride to Hell by Devolver would have been legit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hearing about this for the first time today so I tried the first episode... or most of it.

These guys sound like every ultra-nerd friend I've ever had: Passionate but every conversation is just a shouting match with people that don't know how project well.

Does it get better or more interesting or is this just the format?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Hearing about this for the first time today so I tried the first episode... or most of it.

These guys sound like every ultra-nerd friend I've ever had: Passionate but every conversation is just a shouting match with people that don't know how project well.

It's just a show about two to four guys hanging out and playing/talking video games. Give it a bit more of a chance, but if you don't like the people, you won't like the show.

Watch the Persona 4 video, and I'm sure other goons will recommend their favorite starting points.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By "the first episode" I'm assuming you're talking about the Machinima show, in which case don't watch the Machinima show it's not great. The Machinima show is more about the being-funny than the having-fun if that makes sense.

edit: Oh the podcast. The podcast is really better if you've watched some of their Youtube stuff first because then you know the guys and what they're like.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

I was a bit confused and then I realized, "oh yeah, this is the podcast subforum".

It gets more structured but the "shouting matches" still happen every so often and it's always more conversational than anything else. I like it, I tend to get bored as gently caress when podcasts try to be radio shows, but I understand it's not for everyone else. You should probably jump in on a more recent episode too, everything is topical.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Inzombiac posted:

The podcast can and will get pretty yell-y and involve a lot of talking over each other depending on how excited/enraged/astounded they are by the topic and how uncooperative Pat is feeling. Videos will vary from game to game and episode to episode. If you don't like listening to 2 to 4 dudes getting hype on a fairly regular basis then it's probably not for you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, the Podcast. Per the OP, I'm avoiding the videos for now.
I'm all for a casual, conversational show (most of the ones I listen to are like that) but yeah, it currently reminds me of my big fat friends who shout everything they say and try to steamroll the conversation.
I'll just ahead to something further up. I don't think they have bad opinions so far but maybe I'm not as crazy about video games as I used to be.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Aww, it's a shame they didn't show off the ending to Terminator 3: Redemption, it's kind of hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsoyyDoGWc

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Inzombiac posted:

I'm all for a casual, conversational show (most of the ones I listen to are like that) but yeah, it currently reminds me of my big fat friends who shout everything they say and try to steamroll the conversation.
I'll just ahead to something further up. I don't think they have bad opinions so far but maybe I'm not as crazy about video games as I used to be.

They get very passionate about what they're into, and whether or not you find that entertaining is entirely up to you. They definitely get better and more professional as the podcast goes on, but if you don't see something you like right now I don't know if you'll see it later on unless you fall in love with their personalities.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Silentman0 posted:

They get very passionate about what they're into, and whether or not you find that entertaining is entirely up to you. They definitely get better and more professional as the podcast goes on, but if you don't see something you like right now I don't know if you'll see it later on unless you fall in love with their personalities.

You know what? I've written off YouTube personalities very early only to cycle back and end up loving them. Goddamn it, I'm gonna give it a go!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Inzombiac posted:

You know what? I've written off YouTube personalities very early only to cycle back and end up loving them. Goddamn it, I'm gonna give it a go!

Watch Prison Break

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Watch Super Mario RPG and see if you get mad. If you do, congrats! You still get crazy about games!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

The videos are the main show, podcast is extra filling for if you're curious about their thoughts or merely wish to know what Pat has decided he is presently upset about.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

Watch Prison Break

this is good advice

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Tae posted:

Watch Prison Break

Watch the David Cage games.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tae posted:

Watch Prison Break

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Either Prison Break or Silent Hill Downpour/Homecoming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They've got a lot of good videos, but lots of bad ones too, just like everyone else. Checking the OP, it seems there's no highlight list for the better videos/series they've done, so perhaps now would be as good a time as any to make that list and have folks suggest things?

Some of the better videos are them playing horrible games, the Jason and the 99 Dragons video was really something else. The Ride To Hell series they're doing right now is fantastic too because it is just the hottest of messes.

When they crack out a game they think will be poo poo and wind up loving it are good too, I forget the name, but it was some anime fighter they played in the last few months with a Birth By Sleep-esque stupid name that wound up getting them super hype.

edit: Inzombiac, in regards to the podcast, the talking over each other thing never entirely goes away, but in general it only happens nowadays when things get REALLY heated. And Liam, early on, is still kinda getting used to his role in the group and tends to be an incredibly obnoxious early-Patrick-Klepek-esque devil's advocate far too much and doesn't know when to quit, but he's since improved immensely and I can't really imagine the group without him anymore. He's also dropped some of the sickest burns and gets into the best slapfights with Pat over stupid poo poo.

Highlight videos from the podcast would be good too, there's not really any Best Of Giant Bomb/Best Of The Bombcast-type highlight reels that I know of(though would love to be proven wrong), but some fans have made some pretty good fan-videos in TF2 using great clips from the podcast. Something to keep in mind is that Pat is a real big (entertaining) shithead, so when he gets burned and salty as gently caress it's the best. If folks know of best-of SBF compilations that'd be good to know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuV-EpLV8SU

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 4, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Highlight videos from the podcast would be good too, there's not really any Best Of Giant Bomb/Best Of The Bombcast-type highlight reels that I know of(though would love to be proven wrong), but some fans have made some pretty good fan-videos in TF2 using great clips from the podcast. Something to keep in mind is that Pat is a real big (entertaining) shithead, so when he gets burned and salty as gently caress it's the best. If folks know of best-of SBF compilations that'd be good to know about.

If you search youtube for "super/two best friends animated" you can pretty much trust anything by Cranky Construct, Googly Gareth, or Plague of Gripes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-lE7i8lzMI

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo you marks tell him about Rustlemania where it's just them torturing themselves with wrestling games. That actually has a best of video too!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not everyone has encyclopedic knowledge of youtube LPers you fuckin' weirdo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that's why we trusted you to remember!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Invictus posted:

Man whatever, it's all scripted anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Silentman0 posted:

If you search youtube for "super/two best friends animated" you can pretty much trust anything by Cranky Construct, Googly Gareth, or Plague of Gripes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-lE7i8lzMI

I love that entire video because what Woolie doesn't mention about the story of Jacob is that, Jacob thinks it's just an angel.

Jacob fought, and beat, GOD.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

FauxGateau posted:

Man whatever, it's all scripted anyway.

Nobody could have predicted March of the Benoits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Tormentum?! I've never heard of this! A new Pat and Woolie Playthrough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeD8576FWH0