Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
But the FV215b is great :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Saw a dude do 5700 dmg while having neatly 4k bounce off him last night in the 215b. Kinda made me want to get one.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Someone had some time on their hands: (from TFR)

wtfbacon posted:

We get excited when another K98 or Arisaka makes its way out of someone's attic and back into the limelight.

Yesterday in Germany, someone discovered this:

Given its condition, I think the owner was probably secretly restoring it. But sounds like the guy had some other crazy poo poo too, like a live torpedo and other stuff.

Edit: Probably the 2nd tank on page 10 of this document. So, not "discovered" per se, just not seen publicly in a very long time. :/

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Independence Day weekend special is up, http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/id4-2015/ .

Highlights include 50% equipment sale, the usual 50% up to tier 5 and 30% up to tier 8 discounts, but also 50% discount on tier 5 premiums and X5s.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Replay

Been a while since I got a Radley-Walters. Can't do MT-15 for the T-55A though, I just never see any higher tier TD's.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

srb posted:

Independence Day weekend special is up, http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/id4-2015/ .

Highlights include 50% equipment sale, the usual 50% up to tier 5 and 30% up to tier 8 discounts, but also 50% discount on tier 5 premiums and X5s.

30% off is only up to tier 7, you cocktease.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Man Japanese tank design really does make German tanks look sane by comparison.

I love the description for the tier 9 Japanese heavy, where it says that it was intended for attacking fortified targets and coastal defense. It was pretty much a coastal artillery on wheels tracks. :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think my grandmother had this tank model as a dresser.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

Rincewinds posted:

I love the description for the tier 9 Japanese heavy, where it says that it was intended for attacking fortified targets and coastal defense. It was pretty much a coastal artillery on wheels tracks. :v:

Can confirm, will be "Fair and Balanced". :parrot:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mans posted:

I think my grandmother had this tank model as a dresser.

anyone know what the alpha on that derp will be?

Oh yeah and they are giving out 200 codes for AW if you are interested.

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/07/03072015-stream.html

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

Agrajag posted:

Oh yeah and they are giving out 200 codes for AW if you are interested.

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/07/03072015-stream.html

Its unbearable to watch that stream, there's just too much cancer.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Probably 600-650 or thereabouts.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Agrajag posted:

It has 2700 in World of Warships

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

2.6k spotting damage, 4.7k actual damage, and my e-50 only got a 1st class medal

what the gently caress are people managing to pull off in this tank :psyduck:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
It's been around for a loong time so yeah.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

http://wotreplays.com/site/1996923#overlord-axetrain-amx_13_90

Hmmmm

Yeah time to start drinking.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/07/the-insider-why-was-mauschen-removed.html?m=1

Haha, they aren't giving up on the mauschen. "Too OP against lower tiers".

Pen nerfs are still coming.

E100 is getting a AP buff.

E:
http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/07/tier-9-japanese-heavy-tank-type-2604.html?m=1

Also, lol. Great front armor, ten degrees of gun depression, whut?

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 4, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
World of Armoured Trains, anyone?

Land Merrimack: the first real armoured train, 1862

When the Northern forces sieged Richmond during the American Civil War, Southern commanders were afraid that assault guns will be used against the city. In order to counter this threat, General Lee ordered a train car with a powerful 165 mm naval gun. The Navy was supposed to build and service it. It already had experience with armour, as recently steamship Merrimack was refitted into ironclad Virginia.

The "Land Merrimack" consisted of an armoured train car protected by two layers of thick strips of rolled iron on an oak foundation. The armour was installed on the front and on the sides, the rear and the top remained open to allow for ventilation and crew evacuation. Behind the armoured car was a locomotive, protected from bullets by bales of cotton. The same "armour" was used on carts with riflemen.

The only use of the "Land Merrimack" in support of infantry happened during the battle for Savage's Station in late June of 1862. The armoured train was effective, killing many Northerners and forcing them to abandon a hospital with 500 wounded.

"Hairy Mary": the strangest armour, 1899

The first widespread use of armoured trains was during the Boer War of 1899-1902. The Boers actively used guerilla tactics to harass British supply lines. In order to protect them, the British started building armoured trains that served as mobile garrisons.

One of the most interesting armoured trains of the era was built using the Havelock locomotive. Instead of armoured plate, the locomotive was protected with tightly wound hemp rope 6 inches (15 cm) thick. This made the locomotive practically invulnerable to bullets and small caliber shells.

Due to its exotic exterior, the locomotive was nicknamed "Hairy Mary". This was the most unusual armour for this type of armoured vehicle.

The first Russian armoured train, 1914

This train was built in Tarnopol in the workshops of the 9th Railway Battalion on a captured Austro-Hungarian locomotive and three train cars: two with machineguns and one with a cannon. The armament was also captured. It consisted of one 80 mm Austrian gun and 12 machineguns. The train was protected by regular steel plates and sand sandwiched between boards. One of the machinegun cars had a turret for observation of the battlefield.

Despite the primitive design, the train fought well and proved itself in the first battles of WWI. For instance, in the Lvov direction, on August 22nd, 1914, a sudden attack by the armoured train allowed the capture of an important bridge and ensure the capture of Stanislawow. The armoured train of the 9th Battalion often earned the praise of commanders.

The first Russian armoured train finished its career as a part of the Red Army on the South Front in 1919.

Armoured Motorized Train Car "Zaamurets": a train with a curious fate, 1916

A self propelled train car was built for the Russian army using the most advanced technology of the time. Its armour was sloped. It was propelled by gasoline engines, equipped with rangefinders and periscopes, as well as internal telephones. The Zaamurets was armed with 57 mm automatic Nordenfelt guns.

During its service, this train car changed hands many times. Starting out in the Russian army, it then was used by the Ukrainian units of the Central Rada in 1917. In January of 1918 the Zaamurets fought for the Reds, but literally a month later it was captured by a gang of anarchists and used to terrorize villages near Odessa. A while later, the Red Army recaptured it.

The Civil War brought the Zaamurets to Simbirsk (now Ulyanovsk). Here, the Czechoslovak Legion, fighting for the White Army, captured it. The Czechs renamed it "Orlik", replaced some of the armament, and used it until their departure from Russia. The train was left to the Japanese, which later gave it to the Whites near Vladivostok. In 1922, the Zaamurets retreated with the Whites to Harbin. In the mid-1920s the train fought in the army of Chinese field commander Zhang Xu Chan. Some sources say that the Japanese captured it in 1931 in Manchuria.

Rain on Baku: an armoured train strategic operation, 1920

In the spring of 1920, the Red Army defeated the White Guards commander Anton Denikin and drew closer to the borders of Azerbaijan. The capture of this republic was very important, as it was rich in oil. However, the local government was prepared to burn the oil wells lest they fall into the hands of the Bolsheviks.

In order to resolve this situation, four armoured trains were selected: "Timofey Ulyanov", "Third International", "Red Dagestan" and "Red Astrakhan". On the night of April 27th, they penetrated enemy fortified lines, fought their way through 200 kilometers, and burst into Baku.

When Red sympathizers heard about the success of the armoured trains, a rebellion erupted in Baku. In only one day, control of the city was in Bolshevik hands.

Armoured Train #13: the smallest in history, 1940

This dwarf was built for a narrow rail gauge, only 38.1 cm wide. It consisted of two train cars, one with a Boys AT rifle, one with two machineguns, one of which could be used for anti-air.

Despite superstitions, the train was indexed #13. The locomotive was ironically named "Hercules". #13 entered service in July of 1940.

Despite the fact that the Germans never landed in Britain, the train still fought in battle. During the Battle of Britain, the train crew's AA gunners claimed that they shot down two enemy planes, a He-111 bomber and a Bf 109 fighter.

The train remained in service until 1943.

Armoured Train #1, 66th Squadron: the heaviest armed, 1942

This Soviet armoured train was built in Voroshilovgrad (today Lugansk) at the October Revolution factory. It consisted of an armoured locomotive and two armoured train platforms. The first had a T-34 turret with a 76 mm gun, two 76 mm guns separately, and 6 machineguns. The second had a KV-2 turret with a 152 mm howitzer, a 76 mm gun, and a 45 mm gun in a T-34 turret, as well as 8 machineguns. The train also had two DShK AA machineguns.

The train fought at Voroshiliovgrad with the 66th Squadron. Documents record that it repelled 18 German attacks from the air and mention that some planes were shot down.

German recon trains: the most maneuverable, 1944

The most maneuverable armoured trains of WWII were German light and heavy recon trains. They consisted of several (up to 10 for light and 12 for heavy) armoured draisines with internal combustion engines. A main feature of these trains was that, if necessary, the draisines could separate and travel independently. This increased the tactical flexibility of the armoured train.

The draisines were armed with machineguns, automatic 20 mm AA guns, and various caliber guns taken from German, Italian, and maybe even Soviet tanks.

These trains were used in the Balkans in the second half of 1944.

"Kozma Minin" and "Ilya Muromets", longest serving, 1942-1945

These two armoured trains were a part of the 31st Special Squadron. The "special" label indicated that these trains were equipped with rocket launchers. Additionally, "Kozma Minin" and "Ilya Muromets" were equipped with 76 mm guns, machineguns, and AA guns.

The trains entered service in 1942, as a part of the Bryansk Front. In 1943, they fought at Bolkhov and Mtsensk, covering weaknesses in Soviet defenses. In these battles, they destroyed 11 German strongholds, a mortar battery, and two trains.

In 1944 and 1945, "Kozma Minin" and "Ilya Muromets" fought their way through the Ukraine, Poland, and Germany, covering the Red Army during the crossing of the Vistula and the liberation of Warsaw. They met the end of the war in Germany, at Frankfurt an der Oder, protecting the rear of the 1st Belorussian Front.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ensign Expendable posted:

Rain on Baku: an armoured train strategic operation, 1920

In the spring of 1920, the Red Army defeated the White Guards commander Anton Denikin and drew closer to the borders of Azerbaijan. The capture of this republic was very important, as it was rich in oil. However, the local government was prepared to burn the oil wells lest they fall into the hands of the Bolsheviks.

In order to resolve this situation, four armoured trains were selected: "Timofey Ulyanov", "Third International", "Red Dagestan" and "Red Astrakhan". On the night of April 27th, they penetrated enemy fortified lines, fought their way through 200 kilometers, and burst into Baku.

When Red sympathizers heard about the success of the armoured trains, a rebellion erupted in Baku. In only one day, control of the city was in Bolshevik hands.

did they seriously maintain the entire railyard structure intact, never expecting the reds to use armored trains? :psyduck:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

In January of 1918 the Zaamurets fought for the Reds, but literally a month later it was captured by a gang of anarchists and used to terrorize villages near Odessa. A while later, the Red Army recaptured it.

Russian history, best history.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm never going to get to my E-100. drat this takes forever.

E-75 is forever.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
E-75 is a good tank, not sure what the big deal is.

Also, have fun grinding the 15cm once you get the E100.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

unlawfulsoup posted:

What this turbo nerd said. I personally think the E-75 is easily way more fun and enjoyable than the E100.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

I'm never going to get to my E-100. drat this takes forever.

E-75 is forever.

E-75 is life, E-75 is love.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mans posted:

did they seriously maintain the entire railyard structure intact, never expecting the reds to use armored trains? :psyduck:

If you gently caress up your tracks, that would cut into oil delivery, and therefore profits. Surely those uppity peasants will be dealt with swiftly and there will be no need for such barbarism!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

unlawfulsoup posted:

I know, I love the E-75. Just figured I'd have it done by now.

i hate goats.
Jul 11, 2004
Simplified Procrastinator
Dear Chillsau,

Sorry for making GBS threads on your stronkholds. Thanks for the credits though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

i hate goats. posted:

Dear Chillsau,

Sorry for making GBS threads on your stronkholds. Thanks for the credits though.

You were above average for PINGU.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

i hate goats. posted:

Dear Chillsau,

Did you just spend ten bucks to do that?

i hate goats.
Jul 11, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Did you just spend ten bucks to do that?

uhm.. no. dumbass.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jesus, look at this idiot to the left of my posts.

Gonna have to blame the tanks.

i hate goats.
Jul 11, 2004
tanks do that to you.

edit: he logged off before i could say anything to him so I brought it to the forums.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Talking poo poo about hellsau is worth any amount of dollars

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Talking poo poo about hellsau is worth any amount of dollars

Especially when you set it up 11 years in advance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

Especially when you set it up 11 years in advance.

You've gotta get on that poo poo way in advance. I'm like a thief in the night - one moment your clan is beating -G- in clan wars, the next moment they have to recruit random goons from the goons channel to fill a tier 6 stronghold. Before you know it I'll be off to kill yet another clan foolish enough to invite me into the safety of their ranks.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Hellsau posted:

You've gotta get on that poo poo way in advance. I'm like a thief in the night - one moment your clan is beating -G- in clan wars, the next moment they have to recruit random goons from the goons channel to fill a tier 6 stronghold. Before you know it I'll be off to kill yet another clan foolish enough to invite me into the safety of their ranks.

There needs to be death to create new life. Without natural forces like Hellsau we would be faced with an eternal hellscape of the same clans.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

There needs to be death to create new life. Without natural forces like Hellsau we would be faced with an eternal hellscape of the same clans.

We could still live in some sort of hellscape where goon clans, HAVOK, -G-, and FORGE were still top tier. Can you believe that it was the start of my murderous reign that killed VOLT, the first corpse from HAVOK's Burning Empire? (what was their group of clans called again?)

I for one welcome our furry overlords if it keeps HAVOK and their group of shitters from reforming.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
The electrical themed clans were almost as poorly named as the crustacean themed clans. Both of which were only marginally better than the radioactive themed clans.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Bort Bortles posted:

Hey man we all have our demons. I drove the E-75 at a bad time in the game's nerf/buff cycle and shudder at the thought of driving one.

I dunno, you might just've been unlucky or it might not've clicked with you yet. The E 75 is one of the few high tier tanks in the game to have only ever been buffed, despite being the best heavy in the game since the day of its introduction (well, tied with the then-tier-9 IS-4). The only odious fault I can think of is the old armour model issue where the track skirts were counted as unarmoured hitzones and could be penned by anything, though that got sorted soon enough. Actually, when it was first added it totally lacked a transmission hitbox, too.

Control Volume posted:

2.6k spotting damage, 4.7k actual damage, and my e-50 only got a 1st class medal

what the gently caress are people managing to pull off in this tank :psyduck:

The E 50 M is generally regarded to be the best pubbing tank there is, and the E 50 is very similar to it. If you fire APCR out of it, actually, you're basically just an E 50 M with a few hundred less hitpoints, a slightly shorter and taller profile, and a frontal transmission. A lot of the genuinely good purps like it for those reasons and play the poo poo out of both of them.

After what you put me through the other day, my sympathy is rather tempered by schadenfreude.

World of Armoured Trains, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuysoNnRiwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

finally finished the shitbox that is the 3002db, time to buy the indienpanzer, throw on some springs and the long 88, and get this lovely stock tank grind out of the way

oh well okay i guess