Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Turkeybone posted:

I know we used to have a dude who was at bouchon out there, not sure if there are any goons that way these days.

Wasn't that heyfresh88? Last I recall he was opening his own place with his brother, but that was a year or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah that was heyfresh, one of my friends went to Napa on his honeymoon, and he hooked them up at Bouchon. We've never met, and he never met my friends either -- but he put them on the special list. I love goons :911:

e: I'll respond in full to BABBYS in a sec.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Okay. Do you need places to be family-friendly? Or is debauchery okay? Drinking bars or cocktails? What sorts of food do you like? General price range? Is there anywhere you're really wanting to get into? If you can't get a res, I can make some calls.

I work in SF, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get you into my restaurant to eat, (I'm pretty sure we've already released all our tickets through August :/) but could probably sneak you in for cocktails if you wanted to have some drinks and watch service. It's entertaining.

Union Square specifically, I'd say first off, do NOT go to Aveline or the European, their kitchen is loving filthy and they have really low standards. BDK across the way is much better (really fantastic cocktails, and Kevin is the king of hospitality.) and the food is unpretentious. Monsieur Benjamin has been hit or miss for me personally, but a lot of my cooks really like it and it is open quite late. Kin Khao is supposed to be really incredible "authentic" Thai, but the owner is a loving nut and we don't get along so I haven't been. Rave reviews on the food though. Stookeys Club Moderne is a really beautiful bar. If you show up at 5pm to get in line, State Bird Provisions is a really great experience, bring beer for the kitchen and they will style you out. Cadence should be open by then, it will be good. The twitter building has a lot of new places just about to open in it as well. I'd say skip Saison, maybe do bar snacks at Alta but don't bother for a full meal, DO go to Mourad. I like it even more than Aziza and that building is just goddamned gorgeous. Cockscomb is... okay. I miss Incanto :/ but if you really want to eat a lot of meat it's good. Liholiho Yacht Club is truly fantastic. The Interval at Long Now is also a must-go for cocktails.

If you head over to Jackson Square/North Beach, hit Cotogna, Trestle or Chubby Noodle for food. 15 Romolo for brunch is a must for Industry folks and you'll probably see my hungover rear end there on Sunday. Skip Tosca, skip Devil's Acre, skip Comstock Saloon. Do go to Sodini's, Gino & Carlo's, Tony Niks, The Saloon, Specs and Golden Boy Pizza.

How much do you want to travel within the city? Car?

As for Napa, yeah, just talk to people. Bouchon is easy to get into. I actually prefer the Sonoma/Sonoma County wine country to Napa but I can still recommend some spots. Goose and Gander is a must.

E: Are you interested in Oakland/Berkeley/other than central SF?

So basically, my gf has this conference Monday-Thursday. We are going to travel to Napa Thursday and stay at an airbnb that night, leave Friday at noon or so. SOME of her nights are free (not sure which yet), and otherwise I am a wide open book morning noon and night. So I can do cool lunches and such. Will rent a car for Thursday, but haven't decided on the rest of the week. We're both pretty up for whatever, no need for family friendly. Wine and cocktails over beer (just for this trip I guess, but really I love it all), no restrictions on cuisine; I like seasonal new American blah blah. Also will have to pop my in-n-out cherry as I might have said. In general as far as style and price and all that, less TFL and more Ad Hoc.

And I've been out of the bigger food scene for awhile, so while I know State Bird is a big deal, I really don't know poo poo about anything else anymore.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Also will have to pop my in-n-out cherry

double double animal style. People build it up as something better than it is, but its a solid fast food burger joint. Above Burger kind and McDonalds, but below a Becks Prime. Fudruckers quality maybe?

life "hack" trigger warning

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

double double animal style. People build it up as something better than it is, but its a solid fast food burger joint. Above Burger kind and McDonalds, but below a Becks Prime. Fudruckers quality maybe?

life "hack" trigger warning

Basically this. If you grew up on the west coast, you probably grew up eating In n Out so it's comfort food to you. I grew up in TX and for me it's Whataburger. If you grew up in the east, maybe 5 Guys? Not sure.

Definitely worth trying, and certainly a step above a lot of places, but don't expect it to be a revelation.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Oh hell no. In and Out is so goddamned good. And fresh. And they pay their employees really well.

Mmmm. Double double animal style.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Basically this. If you grew up on the west coast, you probably grew up eating In n Out so it's comfort food to you. I grew up in TX and for me it's Whataburger. If you grew up in the east, maybe 5 Guys? Not sure.

Definitely worth trying, and certainly a step above a lot of places, but don't expect it to be a revelation.

Whataburger is the poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Oh hell no. In and Out is so goddamned good. And fresh. And they pay their employees really well.

Mmmm. Double double animal style.

Like I said, it's all a matter of what you grew up with.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Whataburger is the poo poo.
I mean I haven't been to one in like 20-25 years, but there's a reason for that

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hauki posted:

I mean I haven't been to one in like 20-25 years, but there's a reason for that

I will fight you. Where are you?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will join you in this fight. None shall besmirch the name of Whataburger. Also, I'd like it if In-N-Out would GTFO of Austin, kthx.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well I live in Denver now

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Hauki posted:

Well I live in Denver now

Capita good choices over here

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Secret Spoon posted:

Capita good choices over here

Shut up shut up... no :burger: here just a bunch of lovely burritos.

Everyone is better off just staying in Texas.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Greatbacon posted:

If you can keep Colorado, California, and NYC folks from moving to TX, I will happily stay here. Add Chicago to that list also.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

I was being sarcastic :)

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you can keep Colorado, California, and NYC folks from moving to TX, I will happily stay here. Add Chicago to that list also.
For real. So many people coming here for jobs.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 3, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
2 burgers is better than a double double for me, I think the ratio of bun to ingredients to burger is better, but I also get them no tomato extra lettuce because I'm a heathen who doesn't like raw tomato

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Tomato on burgers is pretty pointless. It just messes up the structural integrity of a good burger without adding anything worthwhile.

Although I admit my opinion might be influenced by living in Sweden where tomatoes tend to be from Holland and taste like watery sadness.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like tomato on my burgers though, I think it adds some acidity and freshness

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Drink and Fight posted:

Let's go drinking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also there's good stuff in the East Bay if you're down with that, including the best cocktails and taco truck the the area (the Hotsy Totsy).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Greatbacon posted:

I don't think anyone actually wants to live in Texas. Is there a worse state (human rights, not being persecuted for being different/not a redneck cowboy wise), maybe GA. But probably not

Texas does have the best BBQ though

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I like living in Austin! :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DekeThornton posted:

Tomato on burgers is pretty pointless. It just messes up the structural integrity of a good burger without adding anything worthwhile.

Although I admit my opinion might be influenced by living in Sweden where tomatoes tend to be from Holland and taste like watery sadness.

I'm starting to be of the opinion that tomato on sandwiches is more like mayo in its role - it adds a bit of moisture, a bit of glutamic acid, even if you can't taste the tomatoey flavour specifically. It helps to salt your tomato slice, too, as to create that delicious MSG.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

goodness posted:

I don't think anyone actually wants to live in Texas. Is there a worse state (human rights, not being persecuted for being different/not a redneck cowboy wise), maybe GA. But probably not

Yeah it's terrible here don't ever move here. Houston, Dallas, and Austin are all just huge cesspools of giant rednecks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

2 burgers is better than a double double for me, I think the ratio of bun to ingredients to burger is better, but I also get them no tomato extra lettuce because I'm a heathen who doesn't like raw tomato

DekeThornton posted:

just look at how wrong you are

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mindphlux posted:

just look at how wrong you are

Please check you access to non Dutch tomatoes privilege.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

Yeah it's terrible here don't ever move here. Houston, Dallas, and Austin are all just huge cesspools of giant rednecks.

This. loving out of towners don't even know how to park their horses when they're here.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. loving out of towners don't even know how to park their horses when they're here.

That and they just dont hate queers enough. Like that Annise Parker. Gal durn city slickers, they just cant survive out here in the wild.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Restaurant is closed for the weekend, company party Sunday. Hell yes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Secret Spoon posted:

Everyone I know from those three cities, which happens to be every single girl up here in arkansas, just shits on texas when they talk about it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

Counterpoint: Mississippi exists.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

goodness posted:

Everyone I know from those three cities, which happens to be every single girl up here in arkansas, just shits on texas when they talk about it.

People that leave Austin are generally lovely, hth.

Except Wrought.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JawKnee posted:

the sign for me that it was time to step out of late-night service work was getting home at 3am and being unable to sleep past 8 or 9am due to stress dreams (and light, but eventually you get over the embarrassment of looking like a prick in a sleeping mask and earplugs if it means more than 4 hours sleep).

New job? I always found the working dreams started for a new gig after about a month and lasted for a week or so then hosed off. Otherwise maybe it's time to think about getting out.

My girlfriend at the time had an alarm on her phone that sounded like the fryer alarm.

I worked closes, she worked a normal job.

That drat thing sent me into panic attacks waking up some days.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Liquid Communism posted:

My girlfriend at the time had an alarm on her phone that sounded like the fryer alarm.

I worked closes, she worked a normal job.

That drat thing sent me into panic attacks waking up some days.

You're using past tense because you murdered her, aren't you.

I had to switch to vibrate-only on my phone alarm because I use it so much day-to-day in the kitchen any single tone will quickly burn itself into my head and I'll start hearing it all the time. I swear to god the hood fan in my prep area in the back of the kitchen subtly makes both the ticket printer noise and one of my previously-used alarm tones.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Republicans posted:

You're using past tense because you murdered her, aren't you.

I had to switch to vibrate-only on my phone alarm because I use it so much day-to-day in the kitchen any single tone will quickly burn itself into my head and I'll start hearing it all the time. I swear to god the hood fan in my prep area in the back of the kitchen subtly makes both the ticket printer noise and one of my previously-used alarm tones.

hearing tickets never stops. Its been 9 months since I have had to respond to a ticket, and I still hear that sound every so often in my own home. Like, I will lay down and watch tv or whatever and Ill hear it coming from my bathroom or the kitchen or whatever.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Waiting nightmares are the worst.

You fall into this abyss of helplessness.

Waking up in a hot sweat. It's not real man!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Secret Spoon posted:

hearing tickets never stops. Its been 9 months since I have had to respond to a ticket, and I still hear that sound every so often in my own home. Like, I will lay down and watch tv or whatever and Ill hear it coming from my bathroom or the kitchen or whatever.

Oddly enough I don't, but that loving fan is always fooling me. I think it's because I spread so much of my day across various parts of the restaurant I can tune it out if I don't need to monitor incoming tickets.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So my lunch is finally picking up. Not busy yet but it's finally starting to pay off. A lot of people are still stuck on the burgers but I have been getting some good feedback on the tamarind ribs and the wild boar tacos. I'm about to expand the menu to include some more seafood. Mostly more crab meat and shrimps.

The next dish I plan on adding is open tamales two ways. One with polenta, blueberry jalapeņo compote and tempura shrimp, the other blue corn grits, strawberry Serrano compote and seared scallops with smoked sea salt.

Dinner service menu has expanded a bit after contracting the menu, I removed about half the crap I hated and added some chipotle cheddar Mac and cheese dipped in IPA tempura batter and Panko bread crumbs and fried, dusted with a chili powder mix and served with an avacado ranch dressing. It was a big hit tonight. I will probably keep it.

my place is in a bar, please don't judge me for my bar food.

The Mac and cheese.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

bloody ghost titty posted:

Restaurant is closed for the weekend, company party Sunday. Hell yes.

Same except no party, otoh I don't have to see the coworkers till Tuesday, so I'm counting it as a win.

• Locked thread