Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Magnetic North posted:

13-year-olds Mountain Dew drinkers can't relate to people who have children

But they can totally relate to people who have nieces!

This game :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neruz posted:

But they can totally relate to people who have nieces!

This game :smith:

It'd hardly be the only example of misguided marketing driving poor story decisions.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
As a weird uncle myself this game offends me more than you can possibly think.

Flesnolk posted:

I mean, until we get to some of the really messed up parts down the road, it's not like there's much here worth discussing. The game is poo poo, Ubisoft is poo poo, Aiden is a terrible name terrible people have (seriously, name a, say, Aiden, Jason or Chad that isn't a complete poo poo), and the whys and hows have been pretty run into the ground. So of course the discussion is going to end up meandering, especially if in the course of doing so we can contrast what this worthless pile of crap did with what some good things did.
Gary also, there's not a single Gary in videogames who isn't a complete poo poo and I do not know why but it all points to Oak.

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I just realized that his niece through his sister has his same last name. Normally, I think she would have the father's surname, unless they divorced, she got full custody and changed it back or something. I mean, it's not impossible, but it is making it more and more clear that Lena was his daughter at some point in development
Which REALLY makes the scenes between sisterwife and brotherhusband unnerving because you know at some point they changed the relationship titles but not the actual emotions they would have for each other :gonk: there is no custody story, it's just literally his daughter and they thought it would be clever to be an uncle instead because tropes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FinalGamer posted:

Which REALLY makes the scenes between sisterwife and brotherhusband unnerving because you know at some point they changed the relationship titles but not the actual emotions they would have for each other :gonk:
Let's hope there are no stinky boy sex scenes they forgot to remove or to blur and say they're yoga.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SelenicMartian posted:

Let's hope there are no stinky boy sex scenes they forgot to remove or to blur and say they're yoga.

I'm just going to quash this right now and say there are no disturbing scenes between Aiden and his sister/wife. Uncomfortable? Yes. Plenty. But never disturbing.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

FinalGamer posted:

Gary also, there's not a single Gary in videogames who isn't a complete poo poo and I do not know why but it all points to Oak.

My dad is a Gary and he's sort of uptight and hard to deal with sometimes but other than that he's reasonably okay.

So as a name Gary is doing better than Aiden or Jason.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

My dad is a Gary and he's sort of uptight and hard to deal with sometimes but other than that he's reasonably okay.

So as a name Gary is doing better than Aiden or Jason.
At this point I definitely agree, poor Aidens everywhere will either have to:

A) force people to correct pronouncing their name constantly because of Two Souls

or

B) try not to be automatically disliked because of Watch_Dogs' lovely protag

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

At this point I definitely agree, poor Aidens everywhere will either have to:

A) force people to correct pronouncing their name constantly because of Two Souls

or

B) try not to be automatically disliked because of Watch_Dogs' lovely protag

Yes, totally, people will have to do that because of some lovely video games. A fate worse then anyone named Adolf.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My biggest problem with Watch_Dogs is that they try to present a fascimile of reality, when, in fact, reality is incredibly complex and impossible to simulate given current technology.

I mean how did they miss that?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My biggest problem with Watch_Dogs is that they try to present a fascimile of reality, when, in fact, reality is incredibly complex and impossible to simulate given current technology.

I mean how did they miss that?

You're talking about a game company whose current flagship series is based on facsimiles of reality.

:ubisoft:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rick_Hunter posted:

You're talking about a game company whose current flagship series is based on facsimiles of reality.

:ubisoft:

It's utterly ridiculous! How am I supposed to take Aiden seriously as a character if his limbic system isn't meticulously simulated? This is why games still aren't art.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I just realized that his niece through his sister has his same last name.

The game was made in Montreal, Quebec. In Quebec, you can't actually take your spouse's last name when you get married, you have to keep your own. Could be a product of that, instead of/in addition to rewrites.

Also it's not unheard of for people to change their name back after a lovely divorce.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

biosterous posted:

The game was made in Montreal, Quebec. In Quebec, you can't actually take your spouse's last name when you get married, you have to keep your own. Could be a product of that, instead of/in addition to rewrites.

Also it's not unheard of for people to change their name back after a lovely divorce.
Oh no, it's not something we don't BELIEVE can happen, that's something people do.

I just don't believe that's what THIS team's done in writing.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

biosterous posted:

Yeah, I was thinking maybe that could happen, but if the divorce was lovely, make that part of the story. They try (and fail) to showcase dark, sick, sad, gross parts of life, why not that one? I mean, we know bad storytellers try to avoid divorce at all costs.

Wait, did Aiden off his brother-in-law?

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 3, 2015

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

She could just be the type to want kids but not marriage, her hefty and stable income as a party planner or something makes her well suited to be a single mom imo.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Or the game was rewritten to swap Aiden from husband to brother, and the writers just didn't have time or money enough to whip up a replacement husband for her and just try to skate over the role instead.

If they'd been planning out better, they could kill two birds with one stone by making the father Aiden's dead brother instead. The woman whose name I can't remember could have been an old flame of his before marrying his little brother. Have said brothe killed for some reason before the game starts Aiden vowing to protect them out of respect for the brother. That way you could keep the awkward feeling scenes between the adults and give Aiden even more reason to view the family as his responsibility for while still keeping his distance.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Dead horse, now conveniently spreadable.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For sale: horse shoes, never worn.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Not as tragic as the baby shoes, which can't be re-purposed at cookouts.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I just realized that his niece through his sister has his same last name. Normally, I think she would have the father's surname, unless they divorced, she got full custody and changed it back or something. I mean, it's not impossible, but it is making it more and more clear that Lena was his daughter at some point in development but they changed it because 13-year-olds Mountain Dew drinkers can't relate to people who have children, and they didn't bother or couldn't change the graphics at that point.

I don't conveniently recall why, but I came away from the game with the strong impression that Nicole had had to kick out her husband at some point and had gotten more help from Aiden in doing so than she'd really have liked. (In the mission after Jackson's party, when she calls him, she says something like "you always do this," suggesting she's used to Aiden coming into her life and trying to punch her problems into submission.)

That's actually another strong entry in the Watch_Dogs "that could have been interesting, but..." file: going by Aiden's audio logs, Aiden and Nicole were both born in Ireland, but their mother took them to the United States as kids to get them away from an abusive father. They ended up in a bad neighborhood, Aiden started getting in fights ("to take the hits so they wouldn't have to"), and their mother accused Aiden of having turned out to be just like his father. Conversely, if Nicole reacted to it by ending up in a bad relationship, that means both of them are products of the abuse cycle in different ways, but Nicole's actively trying to break out of it and Aiden... just decided to get much better at violence. It's like that scene where Bruce Wayne decides to become Batman because a bat suddenly flew through his study window, except here the "bat" is a middle-aged Irish father with anger issues.

In point of fact, now that I'm looking at it, there's a lot about Aiden's behavior in-game that makes at least a little more sense if you look at him as someone who has severe, possibly genetic anger issues, but who's chosen to deal with them through repression and refocus rather than therapy. He has no real friends, he's shockingly easy to manipulate if you get him even a little upset, he's prone to violent eruptions over seemingly trivial issues, and even most of the side missions are built around Aiden's idea that he can go ahead and be as violent as he likes as long as it's towards the right people. He's Anger Management Dexter.

(On a slightly related note, from a "ludonarrative" standpoint, there's an interesting divide between Aiden's fighting style and the genre he's in. We're told by his audio logs that he favors efficient, brutal fights that he can win before the other guy knows they've started: he uses the profiler to find strangers to ambush, he's studied social engineering and psychology specifically for combat applications, his melee takedowns often involve as little as a single hit. Between focus mode, hacking, several of the crafting weapons, the ridiculously accurate and quiet silenced pistol, and his melee takedowns, you can achieve Sam Fisher levels of rapid target acquisition/disposal in Watch_Dogs if you're of a mind to. The problem is that it's an open-world game with a focus on the mass market, so there are few situations in the game that you can't solve as quickly with a grenade launcher or a twenty-car pileup. It's another example--yet another example--of an interesting dynamic that's trapped inside a big messy pile of mediocrity.)

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Its entirely missing the point but I'm now imagining a middle-aged irish father with anger issues flying through Bruce Waynes window somehow inspiring him to become a green wearing super hero then punching Bruce in the face and climbing back out the window to punch whoever sent him through it in the first place.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Such a Hulk version of Terry McGuinness.

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

For sale, dog, never watched.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TurboJ9000 posted:

For sale, dog, never watched.

If it was a cat we could never be sure if it was alive or dead and i'm pretty sure that's a monty python sketch.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Chaeden posted:

Its entirely missing the point but I'm now imagining a middle-aged irish father with anger issues flying through Bruce Waynes window somehow inspiring him to become a green wearing super hero then punching Bruce in the face and climbing back out the window to punch whoever sent him through it in the first place.

"Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must become a--"
[CRASH] [THUD]
"RIGHT THEN, YE FUCKIN' CUNTS, LET'S GO!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wanderer posted:

"Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must become a--"
[CRASH] [THUD]

I would watch or play the hell out of this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wanderer posted:

[CRASH] [THUD]

"Hai, hai you ya fuckin' pup come here to me now"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

[CRASH] [THUD]

Well, poo poo, now I want this version of Arkham Knight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think people are putting way more though into this games plot the the developers did. Or at the very least how the plot turned out after so many different re-writes and redesignes of Aiden's character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I think people are putting way more though into this games plot the the developers did. Or at the very least how the plot turned out after so many different re-writes and redesignes of Aiden's character.

If they're not, it's at least coming off as more interesting than the Watch_Dogs is. Drinking soy sauce and Spider Tank not included.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Wanderer posted:

"CriminalsNazis are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must become a--"
[CRASH] [THUD] [EXPLOSION]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTizv7XYeU
PC version is a tad wonky though and it's Origin only :(

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chaeden posted:

:confuoot:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chaeden posted:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
^Please tell me that is a parody.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Jed_Oliver_%28Prime_Earth%25

:ughh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Beep boop, what is a joke, this does not belong in my tightmen books

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 4, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What I suspect happened is that they started with a few interesting ideas, plot-wise, which were promptly lost behind layers of iterative changes meant to make the game more mass-market-appropriate.

I came aboard on the strategy guide relatively late, so I saw a version of the game that was pretty close to the retail build (the only real changes were a couple of side missions). As such, I can't say with any real authority that the earlier versions of the game were at least more thematically consistent, but I think there's a fair bit of evidence towards that end.

You could make kind of a funny story out of it, design-wise, where the marketing, character design, and iconography all make Aiden look like the next big video game superstar, but Aiden's own actions make him look like a putz with multiple, overlapping mental issues. It's like the result of an inter-office civil war.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Beep boop, what is a joke, this does not belong in my tightmen books

Hell, wish I could find the Batman parody I saw once where Bruce Wayne started dressing up as whatever random thing he saw outside his window. My personal favorite was when he saw a woman outside the window and immediately concluded this was indeed an icon of fear to men, leading to the birth of WomanMan, and his sidekick GirlBoy.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think this game would have a much better plot if T-Bone was the main character and the plot actually revolved around him trying to take down the Ctos after realizing his creation is too dangerous and getting hosed over by Blume. I mean Aiden doesn't really care much about Ctos other than sometimes making comments about how its bad, while at the same time abusing it over and over to hurt people in the course of his revenge quest.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

That was actually one of the best single issues I've read in years, and is a pretty interesting twist on the Batman origin, that being what would've happened if NOTHING came through Bruce Wayne's window that night? He becomes Open Window Man because the "sign" is just - pardon the pun - window dressing, the actual motivation to put on a silly costume and punch crime in the face is an intrinsic, internalized driving force, and exists regardless of what does or does not crash through the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Mind you, he then figures out how to use his 'open window' powers to teleport from any open window to any other open window so that worked out better than one might have expected :v:

• Locked thread