Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ddraig posted:

One of the groups that a Hatred developer 'liked' is known for patrolling night clubs to make sure that dirty Muslim men don't talk to pure Polish women and vice versa.

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/158678,AntiIslamic-group-patrols-clubs-to-protect-Polish-women
http://wroclawuncut.com/2014/01/15/polish-defence-league-patrolling-nightclubs/
http://www.islamophobiawatch.co.uk/anti-islamic-group-patrols-clubs-to-protect-polish-women/

If this wasn't enough they've also tried to create a little black book of known Muslims.

http://rt.com/news/269407-poland-far-right-muslims/

Certainly don't get any EDL/BNP vibes from them, not even Tommeh and Dick, I beg your pardon, Nick Griffin have gone quite that far (in public at least)

Polish Defence League wasn't the group. It was a punk band. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Getting angry for being accused of far-right sympathies when you display far-right symbols and actively court outrage is dumb

Prav posted:

I've gotten the impression that the developers of Hatred enjoy the occasional bit of shitstirring.

I guess atleast we can all agree the dude is a moronic edgelord who needs to get out his echochamber. :sun:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fluo posted:

The AO rating controversy was manufactured by the developers as they didn't need to get a rating for their game on steam (which is the only place it would be going on sale) and wanted to add fuel to the fire. It was good PR to get edgelords to buy their game.

People seem to never learn, all publicity is good publicity. Take Human-centipede, that movie was a pile of steaming hot poo poo, but being so bad it got popular and people went to see it.

Well that's true but the debate also stems from games getting rated AO in the first place. That piece of poo poo manhunt 2 had people enraged about censorship even though it wasn't censorship in the least. I think manhunt 2 bombed so people wised up to it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fluo posted:

Polish Defence League wasn't the group. It was a punk band. :confused:

No, it was the Polish Defence League. The guy who did it didn't even deny it, he said he followed them because "There was really evil poo poo going on in the world, and they say what the media doesn't"

The "it was a punk band" angle doesn't really work if the guy says "Yeah I was following the Polish Defence League"

quote:

"As for me supposedly 'supporting' Polska Liga Obrony on Facebook," Zielinski wrote Polygon in a Facebook conversation today, "I've liked this page, because it's source of an information what is going on right now in the middle-east and Europe (and a lot of evil poo poo is going on — those are REAL problems, not our game). Some things media would not show, nor tell. So: no, I'm not any kind of 'supporter.'

"I don't watch TV, I don't have time to follow all the news. If there's some evil poo poo is going on in Europe or Middle East, I get the message on my wall. That's simply the only reason I've 'liked' this page. And I don't see how giving a 'like' is threaten as supporting something. (sic)"

e: For those curious, the type of stuff the Polish Defence League reports on that the media won't touch is much along the lines of "Halal is a Muslim conspiracy to implement sharia law" and other such things. I imagine that the reason why most media doesn't report on it is because they don't have a direct line to the Fuhrerbunker.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 3, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fluo posted:

I guess atleast we can all agree the dude is a moronic edgelord who needs to get out his echochamber. :sun:

I dunno, things seem to have gone about as well for him as he could've hoped.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

He reminds me of people that repost stuff from Britain First on their facebook and then get angry when you point out the groups reputation

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
People forget or just dont know that us Poles love our violent games of mediocre quality. Really, Hatred coming out of Poland is no surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGIww533Y4

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

He reminds me of people that repost stuff from Britain First on their facebook and then get angry when you point out the groups reputation

Britain First have a rather interesting angle (or used to, at least) in that they sort of attach their more reprehensible stuff to rather innocuous news stories and really try to capitalize on memes and stuff. Their facebook group is quite likely to have a bunch of lol cats mixed in with their Global Islamic Conspiracy stuff.

That said, most people who repost Britain First stuff tend not to have profile pics with the Confederate Flag or mountains of skulls.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Britain First have a rather interesting angle (or used to, at least) in that they sort of attach their more reprehensible stuff to rather innocuous news stories and really try to capitalize on memes and stuff. Their facebook group is quite likely to have a bunch of lol cats mixed in with their Global Islamic Conspiracy stuff.

That said, most people who repost Britain First stuff tend not to have profile pics with the Confederate Flag or mountains of skulls.

Hmm, what about a skull throne? Would that be better? (What I'm saying is that a mountain of skulls pic is inconsequential, but funny cause we're talking about an adult here)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Oh man that happened last year for remembrance day, it was so cringe worthy. Tons of people sharing this poppy jpg thing with the britain first logo in top right and they got confused when a handful of people replied to the dude calling him fascist scum. One reason I tend to avoid any politics on facebook and twitter, social media plus politics is always a bad idea.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Archer666 posted:

Hmm, what about a skull throne? Would that be better? (What I'm saying is that a mountain of skulls pic is inconsequential, but funny cause we're talking about an adult here)

Oh I agree it's loving stupid. If it was a teenager trying to find a place in the world and rebelling against everything that's one thing, but I think once you reach adulthood that kind of thing is kind of pathetic tryhard.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Prav posted:

I dunno, things seem to have gone about as well for him as he could've hoped.

I'd say its more so because the people raging against him are more moronic than he is.

A race to the bottom type deal.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Hatred is idiotic and garbage, and the guy in charge of making it probably is as well. But all the mewling demands that it be banned makes it hard to ignore, which I would personally prefer to do. So good job marketing the bad game made by a bigot, I guess.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Ddraig posted:

No, it was the Polish Defence League. The guy who did it didn't even deny it, he said he followed them because "There was really evil poo poo going on in the world, and they say what the media doesn't"

The "it was a punk band" angle doesn't really work if the guy says "Yeah I was following the Polish Defence League"

e: For those curious, the type of stuff the Polish Defence League reports on that the media won't touch is much along the lines of "Halal is a Muslim conspiracy to implement sharia law" and other such things. I imagine that the reason why most media doesn't report on it is because they don't have a direct line to the Fuhrerbunker.

So now we have to ban every game where at least one member of the development team watches Fox News or Alex Jones?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Hatred is idiotic and garbage, and the guy in charge of making it probably is as well. But all the mewling demands that it be banned makes it hard to ignore, which I would personally prefer to do. So good job marketing the bad game made by a bigot, I guess.

Will people ever learn? The video nasties with Mary Whitehouse in the 80s and the big bad music with Tiper Gore in the 90s should have taught these people how not to try and suppress stuff.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

A game made with a Polish right-winger on the staff maybe is bad and shouldn't be sold but we must all rush to the defence of a text game by a sexual/emotional abuser.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Its good to see that we've established that manufactured controversy:the game is dumb and that trying to ban things because of the tackiness of the content or the politics of their creators is also dumb.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
You know, I wonder why you don't see many explicitly racist movies nowadays? Surely people didn't complain and call for bans on racist movies: that would only make the movies more popular, see?

I guess we'll never know.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://archive.is/Ph7Cf
basicaly there is this game called cuphead, where you basicaly play in a 1930/40s cartoon. the animation is cool and it looks like it could be a good game. this lady got trigged by the game because of the animation style because in 1930s and 40s those cartoons had alot of hosed racial imagery, note the game has none of that stuff in it. but she is still triggered because the game has jazzy score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg game trailer.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Of course you buy the game and start it up only to get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pa0GO7bnE
Oh, and every zombie takes 500 hits to kill, and each weapon has about 5 hits of durability on it. Thank god they cemented in the preorders with the fee fee trailer before everyone could start talkin about how bad the game was.

you are wrong the actual game looked like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly there is this game called cuphead, where you basicaly play in a 1930/40s cartoon. the animation is cool and it looks like it could be a good game. this lady got trigged by the game because of the animation style because in 1930s and 40s those cartoons had alot of hosed racial imagery, note the game has none of that stuff in it. but she is still triggered because the game has jazzy score.

I like how all of her problems with the game are coming from her imagination and what she thinks and fears the developers are trying to do instead of what's there or asking the devs for clarification. This is the kind of brain damage that buying into the concept of "lived experience" does to you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Its not hard to manipulate people into taking things seriously. Remember Dead Island? The completly worthless piece of poo poo zombie game that people only even took notice of because of the trailer where a little girl turns into a zombie while somber music plays?

Right after this trailer came out every 30 year old new father on forums across the internet wouldn't shut up about how touching this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialZcLaI17Y

Of course you buy the game and start it up only to get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pa0GO7bnE

Oh, and every zombie takes 500 hits to kill, and each weapon has about 5 hits of durability on it. Thank god they cemented in the preorders with the fee fee trailer before everyone could start talkin about how bad the game was.

but we would never get this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE but yeah that game was poo poo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

bhlaab posted:

So now we have to ban every game where at least one member of the development team watches Fox News or Alex Jones?

Nobody said ban. Your own broken brain jumped to that conclusion.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Broniki posted:

I like how all of her problems with the game are coming from her imagination and what she thinks and fears the developers are trying to do instead of what's there or asking the devs for clarification. This is the kind of brain damage that buying into the concept of "lived experience" does to you.

It would be pretty nutso of somebody to actually make a blackface game. Makes me think of how the Animaniacs were based off blackface

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wasn't Dead Island the game that had a bunch of misogynist poo poo hidden in the game code?

It's even bad on a source code level, that's quite a large amount of effort at being bad.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like how none of the youtube comments mention that at all. It makes you wonder if Youtube comments have matured into a reasonable medium of discussion on some subjects.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

It would be pretty nutso of somebody to actually make a blackface game. Makes me think of how the Animaniacs were based off blackface

Huh. Bosko was advertised as "a negro boy." I wonder why I never knew that.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ddraig posted:

Nobody said ban. Your own broken brain jumped to that conclusion.

Eh lot of people were saying to censor hatred. It is a jump, but its a small jump to consider censor == ban.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Broniki posted:

Yeah, thats my issue. If it had actual blackface or something like that, then i would understand her critisim. But this article makes it look like she was looking for something to offend her, didnt find it, then got mad at the art style in general because it "reminded" her of the stuff.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Exmond posted:

Eh lot of people were saying to censor hatred. It is a jump, but its a small jump to consider censor == ban.

Can you give some examples?

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

Exmond posted:

How and by what authority? A bunch of people saying "We don't like this, please remove it" is already pushing the boundaries of the term "censorship." To make the logical leap to "ban" is slippery-slope nonsense.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Not an Owl posted:

How and by what authority? A bunch of people saying "We don't like this, please remove it" is already pushing the boundaries of the term "censorship." To make the logical leap to "ban" is slippery-slope nonsense.

Sorry I meant in this thread people were asking for censorship. I don't know by what authority? Maybe the steam petition?

Slanderer posted:

Can you give some examples?

Sure, right here. The "neo nazi murder fantasy game" is hatred in this quote.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Sure we do, it's not legal to sell a snuff video; censorship is an important thing that has its place and I think censoring neonazi murder fantasy games is one of its important functions. The only thing to debate is how far censorship should go. Anyone would agree that the neonazi snuff game needs banned, but there could probably be arguments made to ban those games where you have to crush naked women in giant cogs to progress.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Exmond posted:

Sorry I meant in this thread people were asking for censorship. I don't know by what authority? Maybe the steam petition?

Sure, right here. The "neo nazi murder fantasy game" is hatred in this quote.

I don't think that's meant to be a serious post.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How did people feel about the last Tomb Raider game? I thought it was pretty good imo. It was nice to see a protagonist out of her depth that starts off really reluctant to be violent, is kinda disgusted with herself when she realises what horrible things she's capable of and then basically goes full on Linda Hamilton doing whatever the gently caress it takes to survive and ensure the safety of her friends and loved ones when faced with an unstoppable supernatural force. Also it cast aside a dumb romance angle and kept on reinforcing how dumb it was to have anything romantic going on during this serious poo poo trying to kill everybody. Unlike every single Bioware rpg where you press the 'nice' button a handful of times while trying to save the universe and get a sex scene for your efforts even though you're all about to die.

Could've done without the stupid death scenes that are pretty much unavoidable the first time you play, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think Lara is made of tougher stuff than most people.

If I were in a similar situation to her I'd probably have keeled over and died from extreme sepsis from that rebar going through my liver.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Quote-Unquote posted:

Could've done without the stupid death scenes that are pretty much unavoidable the first time you play, though.

Yeah, the death scenes are a big reason why I'm not hot on trying the game, just like with Dead Space. It's a lame reason, but I don't want to see my character horrifically mangled every time I screw up.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ddraig posted:

Wasn't Dead Island the game that had a bunch of misogynist poo poo hidden in the game code?

It's even bad on a source code level, that's quite a large amount of effort at being bad.

Theres a passive ability (please note that its a passive ability, if any game in the modern era ever gives you an ACTIVE ability for going up a skill tree its an aberration and probably should be celebrated) that lets you deal more damage to male opponents. I forget its name in game but the code referred to it as feministwhore

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Theres a passive ability (please note that its a passive ability, if any game in the modern era ever gives you an ACTIVE ability for going up a skill tree its an aberration and probably should be celebrated) that lets you deal more damage to male opponents. I forget its name in game but the code referred to it as feministwhore

I remember that. Apparently it was something a programmer did on his own, and there's a history of individual programmers putting dumb poo poo and rants in game code.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Quote-Unquote posted:

How did people feel about the last Tomb Raider game? I thought it was pretty good imo. It was nice to see a protagonist out of her depth that starts off really reluctant to be violent, is kinda disgusted with herself when she realises what horrible things she's capable of and then basically goes full on Linda Hamilton doing whatever the gently caress it takes to survive and ensure the safety of her friends and loved ones when faced with an unstoppable supernatural force. Also it cast aside a dumb romance angle and kept on reinforcing how dumb it was to have anything romantic going on during this serious poo poo trying to kill everybody. Unlike every single Bioware rpg where you press the 'nice' button a handful of times while trying to save the universe and get a sex scene for your efforts even though you're all about to die.

I dont want to see Lara fighting humans behind waist high cover on a tropical island. She should be fighting lizard people in tombs!!!

"rear end!!!!!!" -The Angry Video Game Nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

yeah i liked the new tomb raider alot, hope rise is just as good or better

• Locked thread